Rants & Raves

GEORGE BUSH’S TERM was a comedy. No wonder they made a play out of it. I don’t recall anyone ever calling him a liar. Think about it.

RANT TO entertainment industry. We went to see a movie based on a book written by a game show host. It was so disgusting, we left after 20 minutes. Even most coming attractions were deplorable. The same for TV. Even the new senior comedy was trash. We are afraid for this nation. God help us.

MCDONALD’S DOES serve healthful food. It has oatmeal and salads. You can’t make people eat what they don’t want to eat. People always have a choice.

THE MAY 13 article was an affront to Painites. Wouldn’t it have been nice if you had written about the wonderful address given by Dr. Anthony Moss to the graduating seniors? Why put that article on the same day as the commencement? We deserve better. If Paine College is having problems, everyone in Augusta should help to solve the problems because of all the positive things Paine College has done.

NOW THAT THE commissioners have decided we will have one day per week garbage pickup, I don’t see why we wouldn’t get at least a 30 percent discount on the original price. They are cutting 50 percent of the service.

RANT TO THE TEACHER complaining about her gift. I am a teacher also. If you are in the education business for a gift card at the end of the school year, you probably need to find something different to do anyway. It is not about you; it is about the kids.

OBAMA IS NOW CALLING for more bank regulations because JP Morgan lost some PRIVATE money on an investment. When Obama lost $500 million in TAXPAYER dollars on Solyndra, he said that investments do carry some risk. Now I know why some people think he is a great speaker; he speaks out of both sides of his mouth.

allhans
allhans 05/27/12 - 10:58 pm
I assume that Rant #1 is

I assume that Rant #1 is being facetious.

countyman
20581
countyman 05/28/12 - 12:00 am
Augusta is growing up

Every potential resident, business, negative nancy, airline, and developer should be given a copy... The NSA, Plant Vogtle, MOX, Medical District, andGHSU/ASU riverfront campus will already bring the type of growth this metro area has never experience before..

1. Electrolux: $2.5 million: over 300 jobs: Feb 2011
2. PCS Nitrogen/Potash: $40 million expansion: March-Dec 2011
3. Augusta Newsprint $55 million expansion:June 2011
4. Bennett International:$35 million(purchased 400k sq. ft building, built new distribution center/warehouse): June 2011
5. Algae facility: initial $10 million: 200 jobs: June 2011
6. DSM Chemicals: purchased former Pfizer plant: July 2011
6. FPL Foods: $3 million facility on Laney Walker: August 2011
7. Bridgestone: over $1 billion(new facility and expansion): Sept 2011
8. Rural Sourcing: 100 IT jobs: grand opening Oct 2011
9. US Battery: 42k sq. ft. expansion: Nov 2011
10. Rockwood: $115 million plant: Dec 2011
11. Starbucks: $172 million plant: March 2012
12. US Fibers: $5.5 million expansion: May 2012

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/28/12 - 06:32 am
Good Morning America.

Lets see what is happening in the good AC today.

Oh my Gosh, not the teacher who didn't receive her Mercedes again...Geez

MCDONALD’S, I have never ate there, oatmeal WOW. Now I have to go.

"he speaks out of both sides of his mouth." I really think he speaks out of other places too!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/28/12 - 07:29 am
Morning CG

Is that why most of what he says stinks?

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 05/28/12 - 07:39 am
McDonald's Salad (oh yeah morning CG, RK, Seenit, Willow and all

Wilted lettuce, mushy tomatoes, one little carrot peel and dressing with enough sodium to give you a stroke.
I wouldn't order oatmeal from McDonalds. If it's anything like the grits it would better be used to caulk windows.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/28/12 - 07:49 am
RK

Yes, that stink is smelt around the whole USA.

I thought you and you know who would have camped out at Cobalt Park this weekend.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/28/12 - 07:53 am
Arby's

sfb.....I hate fast food places. Arby's is the only one I will stop at.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 05/28/12 - 08:04 am
Arby's

Yea CG I like Arby's too. I don't care for any other fast food except once a year I eat at Taco Bell which then reminds me why I only eat there once a year.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/28/12 - 08:10 am
We would have loved to have

We would have loved to have been there this weekend. Just too much to do around the house. I can't think of a better person to have spent this weekend around. If I can get my daughter here this summer, we will most likely take you up on your offer then. You are a good man CG. We need more like you.

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/28/12 - 08:29 am
Excellent point.

"When Obama lost $500 million in TAXPAYER dollars on Solyndra, he said that investments do carry some risk. Now I know why some people think he is a great speaker; he speaks out of both sides of his mouth."

Excellent point Ranter #7. It's okay if the Democrats throw YOUR money away on companies that were bankrupt the day they opened, but heaven forbid a stable bank that's making a profit every quarter loses some private investment money with a bad investment. Obama thinks J P Morgan should be investigated and I think everything Obama has done needs to be investigated.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/28/12 - 08:43 am
Explained again

Yep, JP Morgan/Chase lost a bunch of money. They lost a whopping 1%. So why isn't anybody crying foul over the money Facebook investors have lost? It's way over 1%. OH, silly me, the Emperor didn't say that was a bad deal. There is an inherent risk involved anytime you make a stock trade. It would do a lot of people a lot good to get their news from more than one source.

fftaz71
fftaz71 05/28/12 - 08:49 am
McDonalds

Shrimp the oatmeal at McDonalds is pretty good. Its thick, but not too thick...just how I like it and it comes with fruit & nuts to mix in. As for their salads, Ive never had a salad like the one described. Maybe it was the particular McDonalds you went to. They also have the fruit and yogurt parfaits too. MOST fast food restaurants are recognizing the need to offer healthier options...Burger King has some pretty good salads (the new ones) and I think they still offer oatmeal in the mornings too.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/28/12 - 09:01 am
JP Morgan

The only thing I will say in favor of the scrutiny on JP Morgan is that "they are too big to fail"; if you subscribe to the idea that a failure by them would cause significant tremors in our economy. Again, if that is the case (TBTF), the taxpayers are put at significant risk when they make bad plays.

The solution to that is to forcibly break up these goliath financial companies into smaller pieces that CAN fail without significant impact to the economy, and let them play with their money all they like.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/28/12 - 09:02 am
Healthy Choices

I understand the choices available for food. But sorry, I am not going to McDonalds to eat healthy.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/28/12 - 09:08 am
Oatmeal at Mickey's.

I've had it, and it isn't bad. It is better than this prepackaged stuff you put in the microwave. Another fairly good alternative is Egg McMuffin; only about 300 cal and decent on sat fats. Salads, I don't know; but I do eat salads at ChikFilA once or twice a week. They are good and nutritious if you get the grilled versions with fat free dressing. Their grilled chicken sandwich is also a 300 cal offering, but I suspect the sodium is pretty high, as it is with just about everything processed or prepared commercially.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/28/12 - 09:12 am
RK

Some of us with a lifelong Battle of the Bulge try to take advantage of healthier choices whenever possible. Like you, my work required a lot of travel, and a lot of grabbing food on the run. I had to research and learn what chices I had when a MC D's may be the only choice I had for a quick bite.

daphne3520
daphne3520 05/28/12 - 09:31 am
Mickey D'S

Anyone that thinks the Owner's of McDonald's across the CSRA, including Walton Way, Georgia Ave., and Clearwater, as well as their brand new (severe lack of parking, as usual!) one out on Exit 5 of I-20 and Hwy 25 aren't "money struck," is dreaming! Service at all is horrible!

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/28/12 - 10:01 am
countyman's report

"Every potential resident, business, negative nancy, airline, and developer should be given a copy".....

What I hear you saying, is you have ALL the answers, and resent those who ask any questions?

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/28/12 - 10:05 am
RE: Choices at Mickey D's

IAD, I always prefer to eat my business cards over anything they serve.

And Good Morning back to you, Shrimp For Breakfast, and all others.

Trouble
Trouble 05/28/12 - 10:27 am
Morning

i wish all a happy Memorial Day, and say i big thank you to people who gave all for their country

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 05/28/12 - 11:04 am

Thank you to all Military, especially those who paid the supreme price for our freedom, and thank you to those still paying!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/28/12 - 11:38 am
Memorial Day

GPTV has been running some outstanding pieces on our past wars, and the men/women who fought them. Some of the stats from WW1 and WW2 are just stupefying; MILLIONS of casualties all told, and these days we get queasy over a few thousand. One is one too many, but I just can't fathom the heartbreak felt around the world when you are talking millions.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/28/12 - 11:57 am
anotherday, I know what you

anotherday, I know what you mean about the quick bites. Since a lot of truckstops now have Subway it's a little easier for me. Just have to read the menu and stay away from so many sauces. And if I have time I often get a salad, again, watch the dressings.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/28/12 - 11:59 am
Comedy vs Tragedy

Bush's term may have been a comedy for some, but the Emperors is a tragedy for all.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/28/12 - 01:33 pm
This thread went nowhere-

And I thought it would generate some pro and con discussion. So, a big rant to the continued absence of a discussion page that allows one to view topics and the last comments.

karlsruhe13
karlsruhe13 05/28/12 - 01:35 pm
Commissioners at work!

I agree with the rant about the commissioners decision to reduce garbage pickup to one day per week and still charge the same fees. How is it that nobody has complained about this blatant rip off, unarmed robbery, mass hold up, grand larceny, or just plain thievery at the hands of these thieves on cheap suits. You decide to cut our service in half, you better do the same with the fees to collect our garbage.

omnomnom
omnomnom 05/28/12 - 01:40 pm
augusta boom or augusta

augusta boom or augusta bust!? http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/business/local-business/2012-05-25/win...

conflicting news report'd!

However, we do have an upteenth mcdonalds being thrown up (no pun intended) at the corner of wheeler and augusta center west parkway. On the site of a former physicians office. That was built in the 1980's. So wasteful. America can be so wasteful. And Thomson just pulled the whole thing down.. Recycling hardly anything as far as i can tell

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 05/28/12 - 01:52 pm
The Wall

I went to the Wall this past week. I don't know why I do this to myself. For those who don't know, the names are listed by the date they died; on one slab there are over a dozen names I recognized and quite a number on many others. The terrible loss that strikes me is in the latest pointless political adventure we've lost three thousand; that would fill up (and may well at some future time) about five full panels. The VietNam monument stretches seventy panels across.

What a loss.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/28/12 - 02:28 pm
dstewartsr

"I went to the Wall this past week. I don't know why I do this to myself."

I too question myself, Why?