Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I DO NOT TEACH to receive gifts from parents, but to see the joy in a child’s eyes as they learn to read, and when they master counting to 100, or meet another personal goal. I teach to make sure each one of my students receives the best education they can while they are in my classroom. Thank you to all of my parents for the wonderful candles, note pads, homemade cards, gift cards, sweets, and drawings that adorn the corkboard behind my desk, and most important entrusting me with your child.

A RANT TO THE preschool teacher who requested gift cards from parents for end-of-year presents. As a retired educator, I consider such an attitude an insult to my profession.

I WAS APPALLED with the rant from the preschool teacher who complained about a gift she received. I have been teaching for over 23 years. I don’t teach because I expect to become wealthy.

HOW CAN COLUMBIA County schools cut the budget in half for the 2012-13 school year and still expect each school to pay the debts of the students/parents owed to the cafeteria? Many are for free and reduced-price lunches charged before they were approved.

TO THE PERSON who cannot understand why the CSRA Mustang Club Car Show only allows Ford vehicles, Hello? Mustangs, Fords, There’s your sign.

IT’S FRIGHTENING THAT a person would honestly believe a president could eliminate Social Security and Medicaid. Even more frightening is this person is permitted to vote.

TO THE RANTER WHO worries about the Republicans taking away Social Security and Medicare, when the Democrats get done spending America into oblivion through useless spending on bank bailouts, union bailouts, special interest group entitlements, there won’t be enough money for seniors health care or Social Security.

Is this next government-sponsored ‘fight’ to cure disease going to end as successfully as, say, the breast cancer and diabetes campaigns to end those diseases has? If the government really wants to end diseases, they’d best start gunning for the food industry. There lies the real culprit responsible for the majority of our health woes, Alzheimer’s included.

Tots
Tots 05/23/12 - 07:19 pm
Last rant

TOTS says,
I totally agree with food being the culprit that's responsible for the majority of our health problems...But most Americans have become lazy ..We are bombarded with fancy ,cute advertisments about food,more food and double/triple sizing the food we do eat..
Not to mention all the sugar drinks we consume on a daily basis..
Dang,most people don't even drink plain water,they have to drink those fancy vitamin/mineral drinks...

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 05/23/12 - 08:08 pm
My Prius thinks its a

My Prius thinks its a Mustang...but it may be a Pinto....can I be in the car show?

Jake
Jake 05/23/12 - 08:11 pm
Supersized

I agree with your opinion, Tots. I wish restaurants would reduce the volume of food that they serve and, accordingly, their prices as well. Unless I go to a $$$$ restaurant, I am usually served way too much food.
When it comes to restaurant food I am always looking for quality not quantity. When I prepare food at home it is always more than we can eat at that sitting. I do that in order to put food in the fridge or freezer to eat later on in the week for after work dinners.
Just look at the ingredients of the food you eat and tell me if you don't need to be a chemical engineer to figure out what a lot of that stuff is. Disodium Phosphate, Autolyzed yeast extract, and my favorite, evaporated cane juice (sugar, duh!!!).

Jake
Jake 05/23/12 - 08:22 pm
@Tots

It looks like I am getting close to crossing the 1300 mark. I see that you have crossed. What was it like? Did it make you want to sit up in bed and smoke the proverbial cigarette with a blissful and satisfied look on your face? When do I get to chose my Kewpie Doll from the top shelf of prizes?

Tots
Tots 05/23/12 - 08:58 pm
Oh my,

Why yes Jake, it sent a tingle down my leg..
I had to give up all those sugar drinks ,even my powerade drinks..After sitting down and having a heart to heart with my doctor this past Tuesday..Now i'll be reading all labels before consuming or buying food products..

Tots
Tots 05/23/12 - 09:02 pm
Jake talking about smoking,

Go check out this artcle they just posted on the AC>>>
Train stop, pot smell send Augusta man to jail 7:27pm

I was laughing my butt off..

Tots
Tots 05/23/12 - 09:07 pm
Prius/Mustang,

Now that was funny Gage creed @8:o8pm....

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/24/12 - 06:53 am
Teacher Gift Issue!

Good Morning and God Bless America,

1 - 2 - 3. I hope you have with your very good comments, put the finial PERIOD to this Teacher/Gift issue!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/24/12 - 07:45 am
#4

I guess you have not looked at your CC 2012 property tax assesement.
Example - Previous $240,537 New $300,902 "School Tax $2117.17

I would say this is an example of all the homes in CC.

Granddaddy John
Granddaddy John 05/24/12 - 07:52 am
The Republicans aren't out to

The Republicans aren't out to take anything away from anyone,thats nothing more than the DEMON democratics scare tactics

bigclaude
bigclaude 05/24/12 - 08:08 am
Bring back Travon!!!

A rave to all of the ranters who keep bringing up the teacher/gift issue!! And a I thought it was impossible for me to wish we could go back to the constant Travon Martin discussions.....thanks for proving me wrong..

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 05/24/12 - 08:20 am
Hey ya'll! Good morning.

No party is going to take away Medicare or Social Security. We may not be able to pay for it but Seniors will always have health insurance even if it is Medicare.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/24/12 - 08:23 am
2 teens robbed in Mtz

Do yall remember the 2 teens who were robbed walking to the store at night.....weeeel Columbia county just made the arrests...

Two Harlem teens were arrested late Tuesday in connection to a recent armed robbery of two teens in Martinez.

Deontay Lemarcus Green, 17, of Tolbert Drive, was charged with armed robbery and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. Jeffrey Taylor Ray, 18, of Joy Road, was charged with making false statements.

On May 12, two 17-year-old boys told authorities that they were robbed at gunpoint while walking to a Martinez convenience store. At about 11 p.m., they said two men approached them as they walked to a Circle K store on Old Evans Road.

One of the men pointed a chrome handgun at the teens and demanded their possessions. The armed robber pointed the gun at one of the teens, who said he didn’t have anything in his pockets. The robber then told him to run away, which he did.

Columbia county....You are GOOOD!

seeya later folks...

kmb413
kmb413 05/24/12 - 08:42 am
Teacher gift rants

Enough already!!!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/24/12 - 08:43 am
Good Morning CG, I agree

Good Morning CG, I agree with you. Give that poor preschool teacher with both feet sticking out of her mouth a rest. I'll say it for her...she's SORRY!! I'd rather hear about getting into the Mustang Club. I'm going to pick mine out today. It will be... probably a screaming yellow convertible. If it's a VW, can I still get in?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/24/12 - 08:48 am
Hey Shrimp.

Hey Shrimp.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/24/12 - 08:56 am
CG, regarding new tax

CG, regarding new tax assessments, that would be a large gap and I would probably appeal. Ours went down on some vacant property that we own within the center and only a very minor adjustment upwards on our home. School taxes... out the roof.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/24/12 - 09:09 am
Assessment

Our assessment on our Col. Co. rental property went up some, too. Fortunately, my Rich. Co. assessment stayed the same.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/24/12 - 09:27 am
Point of Points

Jake, regarding all of those points you and tots are racking up... you know AC, has announced the point of the points is to have a Point Party, and the party with the most points, gets to pay for it...oops:)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/24/12 - 09:38 am
Resemblance

SeenitB4 posted:

If President Obama had a son, he would probably look like Deontay Lemarcus Green.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/24/12 - 09:46 am
Trayvon

Speaking of the Trayvon Martin case, I have noticed a common thread in recent press reports. The reporters from all outlets are dutifully reporting what the prosecutor is stressing, that is that George Zimmerman committed racial profiling before he shot Trayvon Martin, and thus was not acting in self defense.

The only problem with that strategy is that racial profiling is not a crime in Florida. Of course, we have learned throughout history that if you repeat a lie long enough and loud enough, people with weak reasoning skills will believe the lie. Hopefully, there will be one juror who will not fall for the prosecutors’ lies.

happychimer
happychimer 05/24/12 - 10:02 am
Zimmerman was on a drug that

Zimmerman was on a drug that has many side affects. Trayvon was tested,but zimmerman wasn't. Trayvon had trace amount of weed from days earlier, and does not cause violence.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/24/12 - 10:19 am
Interesting

That's an interesting factoid, Happy. If the prosecution tries to convice the jury that Zimmerman was so hopped up on drugs that he didn't know what he was doing, the jury will have to acquit him of murder because of the influence of the drugs.

harley_52
harley_52 05/24/12 - 11:05 am
If Zimmerman was not tested

If Zimmerman was not tested for drugs, how did we conclude he was "on a drug that has many side affects?" Who has the proof that "weed..... does not cause violence?"

As for the two teens robbing the two teens.....I'm curious about the race of the victims and the perpetrators. Anybody know?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/24/12 - 11:18 am
Are you sure about that LL?

Are you sure about that LL?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/24/12 - 11:22 am
So many posts

I've made so many posts, which one are you asking about?

harley_52
harley_52 05/24/12 - 12:19 pm
Little Lamb....I'm guessing

Little Lamb....I'm guessing Willow Bailey may be asking you if you're sure about this statement in your 10:19.........."If the prosecution tries to convice the jury that Zimmerman was so hopped up on drugs that he didn't know what he was doing, the jury will have to acquit him of murder because of the influence of the drugs."

I'm pretty sure that's about as wrong as it could be. Being high on drugs is NOT a winning defense.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/24/12 - 01:09 pm
Tongue in Cheek

It was a tongue-in-cheek response to Happychimer's post about the drugs. Sometimes a defense attorney can get an acquittal for murder if he can convince a jury that the killer did not know right from wrong because he was impaired by drugs.

That, of course, was not the case on the night Trayvon Martin was killed. People who keep dragging drugs into the discussion are deflecting from the relevant facts of the case.

Here is an old axiom for trial lawyers:

If the law is not on your side, argue the facts. If the facts are not on your side, argue the law. If neither the law nor the facts are on your side, tear down your opponent's character.

That last sentence, sadly, is what the prosecutors are doing to Zimmerman.

allhans
allhans 05/24/12 - 01:15 pm
Whats with the new report

Whats with the new report that Zimmerman had lodged a complaint against the Sanford police a year prior to the Trayvon shooting accusing them of racial profiling. Anybody know?

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/24/12 - 01:44 pm
allhans, I remember reading

allhans, I remember reading an article but I'm unable to find it now. It was about Zimmerman helping a young black boy who had a complaint filed agains the Sandford Police for racial profiling. I don't think it was Zimmerman who filed but the young man he was trying to help. Wish I could find the article, that's going to bug me all day!