Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

EVEN WITH TWICE-A-WEEK garbage pickup, there are still people who dump illegally. What’s the point? Just wait for the next pickup day.

TO THE POTENTIAL lawn mower and gas thief on Roy Road. You were in the cross hairs of my shotgun. Next time, you will not be so lucky. You were ID’d and the cops know of you and will charge you for the earlier theft of a lawn mower and leaf chopper, so be forewarned.

LOOKING FIRST to their left, then right is not usable advice for many of the college students I have seen crossing the street because it distracts them from their texting.

HEY, CONSIDER ME A “Sheeple” who “falls for” the self-checkout in grocery stores. Sure beats having some surly cashier acting like they’re doing you a favor by taking your money.

I FIND IT APPALLING that a teacher would criticize a gift and then practically threaten the child with a lower grade.

RAVES TO OFFICER Crosby of the Harlem Police Department. He is a caring person. I am an older lady, and he looked out for me.

SO, JUST WONDERING, what good would 70 virgins be to a successful underwear bomber?

JUST GOT BACK from a 10-day visit to Belton, Austin and Killeen, Texas. All neighborhoods and streets (high, middle and low income) were clean and free from advertisement signs stuck in the ground. Also, not one person wore droopy pants holding their crotch. I am ashamed to tell people that I live in south Augusta.

TO THE PRESCHOOL TEACHER regarding end-of-year gift, how ungrateful! I am a middle school teacher, and I realize that students and parents have no obligation to give teachers gifts.

DID I REALLY just read a rant from a preschool teacher who was complaining about a thank-you gift? What a sad, sad commentary on the state of our society!

RANT TO THE preschool teacher who was upset by his or her gift from a parent. I am a parent who puts thought into teacher gifts – for good teachers, that is.

FOR THE FIRST TIME in our nation’s history, we have a president who openly spoke against the Word of God. Sad.

Jake
Jake 05/22/12 - 10:09 pm
Enough!

Have we had enough of the gift rant yet? It is almost as bad as the Peach Orchard Road dumpster rant.

Jake
Jake 05/22/12 - 10:25 pm
The Prez is coming

Looks like our little hamlet of Redwood City is going to get a visit from the President tomorrow. He is going to be at the historic Fox Theater tomorrow at 6pm. I am already getting a tingling sensation down my leg. Whoops, that was a tinkling sensation and I think I have to take a whizz..... be right back.

That's better. I hope he knows we have a no smoking ordinance here. Unless, of course, what you smoke is a left handed cigarette, which you will then be welcomed with by open arms from several Vietnam veterans (not me of course, I swear) and members of those who did not serve but want to be enlightened-up. Maybe Obama will see the light(er).

countyman
20120
countyman 05/23/12 - 12:50 am
This is specifically for my

This is specifically for my friend Little Lamb, because the information from your link is wrong...... The median income of Lincoln County is lower compared to Richmond, and I don't know anybody besides you who would think either Fayette, Columbia, or Gwinnett would be considered the main county in the area... The main county of the metro is the business, cultural, entertainment, dining, shopping, etc center... Does this describe any of those counties especially Fayette or Columbia? Gwinnett is more similar to Aiken county with atleast some type of industry, but still no match for Fulton or Richmond.. Suburban counties might have a higher median income, but it doesn't really mean anything due to size... North Fulton(Roswell, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Milton, Sandy Springs,) and places like Buckhead, Virginia Highland, Midtown, and Inmark Park in Fulton County are similar to Summerville, North Richmond(Furys Ferry, Stevens Creek, Riverwatch, Dennis rd), Forest Hills, Country Club Hills, West Augusta, Southwest Auguta(Belair rd, Jimmie Dyess, Gordon Hwy btw Jimmie Dyess and Grovetown), Midtown, and the CBD in Richmond county... The median income of the main counties might be lower compared to their suburban counties, but they still have several of the most expensive and desirable areas throughout the metro..

1. Fulton-Atlanta $52, 831: 2. Chatham-Savannah $42,763: 3. Richmond-Augusta $ 39,152: 4. Bibb-Macon $35,651: 5. Muscogee-Columbus $35,384: 6. Clarke-Athens $35,651

countyman
20120
countyman 05/23/12 - 01:37 am
There's no way anybody can

There's no way anybody can see every single road within a city over a ten day period... Fort Hood is pretty well knowed throughout the military, and I've never heard anybody say every street in the entire city was clean.. I think somebody didn't get off the main hwy while visiting the city... Anyway I can think of streets in South Augusta including Willis Foreman, Brown rd, Doug Barnard, Peach Orchard, Goshen area, and to a lesser extent Windsor Spring and Tobacco rd who usually stay clean... Gordon Hwy and Deans Bridge do need help, and the $30 million dollar highway construction and landscaping projects are underway...

I don't know why anybody would be ashamed to say they live in the Lakes at Spirit Creek, Manchester, Goshen, Longpoint, The Orchard, or Walton Acres in South Augusta.. The Lakes at Spirit Creek starts in the $190s, and the majority of neighborhoods in metro Augusta don't....

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/23/12 - 03:02 am
Ft. Hood area

I pass through the area you are speaking of several times a month. Even make a pickup or delivery in the area occasionally. I was just wondering if you got off of I-35 or US-90? Or even got out of you car for that matter?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/23/12 - 03:29 am
Observations from the road

There has been much discussion lately on identification being a requirement to vote. On of the main arguments against voter ID is that many voters don't have any government issued ID and no way to get one. The odd thing is some of the most vocal people against the ID requirement are the same ones that provide transportation to and from the polling place. Couldn't they also provide transportation to get so-called "disenfranchised" voters an ID card?

Much has been said about Bain Capital and the steel company. Before Bain came in, the decision had already been made to shut down if no buyer came forward. Then Bain stepped in and kept the company running a few more years, providing jobs for that period of time.

The big, mean, rich people... I don't know which country all of you grew up in. I grew up here in the good old US of A. I will admit that I am not one of the rich. But you know what, I had the same opportunities as anyone else. I made a few bad/wrong choices in my life and have to live by those choices. But the family I work for did make good choices and are millionaires. I'm not saying that is unfair since I had the same opportunities. I will say I am glad they made the better choices and are able to pay me and about 15,000 other drivers and enable us to live a fairly comfortable life.

Recent secret service happenings... I will neither condone nor condemn their actions. I will not get into the morality of the issue. That is between them, their spouses, and God. But what I will say is that what they are accused of is legal where it happened. The only question I have is whether it happened while they were on duty. If it was during off duty hours, is it really anyone's business other than theirs and their spouses? Nobody seemed to have problem when President Clinton did much the same thing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/23/12 - 05:06 am
Enough already!

Enough about the teacher & the gift....enough about the stinking dumpster.....Geez....AC you can do better...doncha think!

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/23/12 - 05:28 am
countyman

What are you talking about....Gwinnett is like Aiken...how?

Good am RKill.....wordy lately ......:)

countyman.....
Is that true about 30 million???

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/23/12 - 05:37 am
Question for RKill

For the second year in a row, 24/7 Wall St. examined the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development’s report on life satisfaction in the developed world. Economic prosperity, health and a strong social support network continue to correspond highly with happiness. Once again, the United States fails to make the top 10 happiest nations in the world, while countries like Australia, Israel and all of the
S candinavian nations do.

You travel all over the USA......why is it the USA is not in the top 10.....with our wealth--land--freedoms....?? In your opinion..

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/23/12 - 06:07 am
Good news

Many economists believe that 2012 could be the year that housing finally makes a positive contribution to overall economic growth. That hasn’t happened since 2005, shortly before the housing boom went bust.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/23/12 - 06:56 am
Might interest RKill

Some agents are fighting their dismissals......rightly so....if they were on their own time.imo.......single guys in the mix looking for love

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/23/12 - 07:17 am
Queens undies

Queen Elizabeth's dirty, old undies will have a new home ... after a mystery panty raider snatched 'em up at an Internet auction for $18k.

The knickers had been placed on eBay by the estate of the late "Baron" Joseph de Bicske Dobronyi ... who had claimed he came into possession of the undergarments after they were left on a private plane when the Queen visited Chile in 1968.

Sometimes the news really is stranger than fiction..

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/23/12 - 07:29 am
Thanks anotherday

Thanks for the info. on the flesh eating disease.....instead of calling my doc I might have to call you with any medical problems....what do you charge for 1 hour?? :):)

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/23/12 - 08:05 am
ok now

ok...I think I have ticked off enough people in the right places....my job is done here...LOL...:)

At least i didn't put my country-swinging-banjo playing music on here...I might though...:)

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 05/23/12 - 08:32 am
Frankie-B

The CSRA isn't trashy; it's somewhere between sleepy and boring (which is perfect for me and mine right now), and it's not exactly pretty, but it's nice. I'm from Austin; love to visit there and enjoy some REAL BBQ, made from happy steer and smoked over mesquite, vice from a swine which was water-boarded with vinegar and thrown through a cotton gin (really, Shane's? Really?).. But, I'm always happy to come home to the CSRA.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/23/12 - 08:33 am
May be a little wordy, but

May be a little wordy, but when you have the time to really listen to both sides of theses stories it does put things in a different perspective. More people should try it, getting their news from more than on source.

countyman
20120
countyman 05/23/12 - 09:23 am
Gwinnett is similar to Aiken

Gwinnett is similar to Aiken in terms of being the suburban county with a decent amount of industry away from the main city(i.e Augusta, Atlanta)...

The $30 million I-520/Gordon Hwy/Deans Bridge project started last month sometime..

raul
raul 05/23/12 - 09:24 am
@Sheeple Ranter. You can keep

@Sheeple Ranter. You can keep using the self check out at grocery stores. If you want great customer service with a helpful and friendly attitude, try the Publix @ Riverwood.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/23/12 - 09:29 am
Stubborn Things

Countyman, it is okay to formulate your own opinions, but it is not cool to make up your own facts. Here, again, is the link to the list of Georgia median income sorted by county:

Median Income

You will see that Richmond County is number 92 on the list at $34,552 per household.

Lincoln County is number 77 on the list at $36,179 per household.

Tell me, my friend, did you look at the list yesterday? If so, why did you assert up above that Lincoln county had lower median income?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/23/12 - 09:47 am
Answer

SeenitB4 posted:

Once again, the United States failed to make the top 10 happiest nations in the world, while . . . Australia, Israel and all of the Scandinavian nations [made the list].

Then she asked RoadkiII, “Why?”

I know you didn't ask me, Seenit, but I'll offer an opinion (have you noticed that I often have several?) —

Americans may not be too happy because we know that the person in the adjoining hotel room paid less for his room than we did. The person in the next seat on the airplane paid less for his seat than we did. The person in front of us at the traffic light paid less for his car than we did. The next door neighbor paid less for his house than we did. The person with the EBT card paid less for his groceries than we did. We're getting ripped off!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/23/12 - 09:46 am
Depends

Countyman wrote:

It depends on the city. Have you ever been to Vidette?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/23/12 - 09:50 am
Oh, yes

Oh, yes, and one more reason Augustans are not too happy is because the residents of North Augusta pay less for their gasoline than we do, and then they drive over here and tear up our roads.

:-)

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/23/12 - 10:06 am
Checking in

LLamb.....you are too funny this am....:):)

It puzzled me so much I looked it up & found this...

Based on these studies, we might be surprised to discover some of the things that do not relate to happiness. These include:

Age
Gender
Looks
IQ
Education (except to the extent that it affects income)
Some of the things that do make us happy include:

Family relationships—these are more important than any other single factor
Financial situation, not our luxuries, but how we stack up next to those around us
Work, when meaningful, can be more important than the money
Community and friends
Personal freedom
Personal values, our inner self and attitudes and philosophy of life
To create a world in which people are so happy that they cannot be moved to make war, we will need to

foster connectedness to family, community, and friends,
provide a large middle class (see Spread Democracy) where vast numbers of people can compare themselves down to others of less wealth and at the same time, realistically hope to move up
spread liberal democracy and the sense of personal freedom it provides (see Spread Democracy)
teach our young people positive attitudes of mind. Teach them how to be happy (see Foster Connectedness).
"People are as happy as they decide to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Meaningful WORK makes people happy......could it be we need more work here & fewer freebies...??
Happy people are busy people..

allhans
allhans 05/23/12 - 10:07 am
Thumbs up..Little Lamb.

Thumbs up..Little Lamb.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/23/12 - 10:09 am
Work

Speaking of work...I have to get busy again....thank LL for answers.

Dudeness
Dudeness 05/23/12 - 10:29 am
Voter ID

I don't understand why some people supposedly can't get a free Voter ID. They can find anything else "free" (to them), but can't figure this one out? I would suggest that if they do not want a free Voter ID, then voting is not important to them and I would not stress over it.

More and more lately I have seen promotions set up on the side of the road to inform people of the ways in which they can benefit from others' tax dollars (example: booths have been set up in multiple locations to give away "free" cell phones). Why not try the same thing with Voter ID cards? Then again, these aren't exactly the type of people that I want out there voting either.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 05/23/12 - 11:46 am
Good morning, Posters! There

Good morning, Posters! There are some things that need to be tossed out of the discussions here, and the top two, are the self-serving, pre-school educator (I use the term "educator" loosely), ingrate, and the waste disposal problem. I think it's time to "deep-6" those topics, and move on to more serious discussions. For example; when will we finally get a "Bass Pro Shop?"

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/23/12 - 12:10 pm
BEST..thanks eyes

A great one......:) Had to share..

A pastor's wife was expecting a baby, so he stood before the congregation and asked for a raise.

After much discussion, they passed a rule that whenever the preacher's family expanded, so would his paycheck. After 6 children, this started to get expensive and the congregation decided to hold another meeting to discuss the preacher's expanding salary. A great deal of yelling and inner bickering ensued, as to how much the clergyman's additional children were costing the church, and how much more it could potentially cost.

After listening to them for about an hour, the pastor rose from his chair and spoke, 'Children are a gift from God, and we will take as many gifts as He gives us'. Complete silence fell on the congregation.

From the back pew, a little old lady struggled to stand, and finally said in her little frail voice, 'Rain is also a gift from God, but when we get too much of it, we wear rubbers..'

The entire congregation said, 'Amen..'

countyman
20120
countyman 05/23/12 - 03:15 pm
The same people who don't

The same people who don't want to acknowledge the 2010 census, don't want to hear about the FBI crime rates either..

Anytime you present them with valid facts they have to go find another link so they can to disagree...

I don't mind when you try to claim I'm wrong, because you can't spin the census or FBI statistics.

David Parker
David Parker 05/23/12 - 03:31 pm
HEY, CONSIDER ME A “Sheeple”

I use the self checkout b/c I choose to avoid having another person in a long chain of people handling my perishables. It's a hygenic thing for me.

WOOOO second page!!!!

Clemson halts mandatory student sex survey

CLEMSON, S.C. - Clemson says it has suspended a mandatory survey of students the school says was part of a review to prevent sexual discrimination, harassment and assault.