Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

APPARENTLY, WE’RE supposed to be angrier about what Mitt Romney does with his money than what Obama does with ours.

I REMEMBER WHEN I was driving my Jeep up and down the levee in the late ‘70s, early ‘80s. We had the prettiest place in the CSRA. Now can we quit giving the better entertainment and growth to Aiken and Columbia counties? If commissioners, senators, congressmen, etc. only had 4- to 8-year terms like the president. What a different place this country would be!!!! Think about it!!

HAVE TO SAY I’M rather unimpressed with the crop of candidates running for the Augusta Commission thus far, especially in District 1. Will someone please tell Willie Mays to jump in that race? He would win in a landslide and would be a leader again on the commission. The batch running now just doesn’t have what it takes.

THE SLOGAN FOR the Obama re-election campaign is “FORWARD.” I think this theme signifies being positive and moving ahead to tackle all the problems facing the American people. For the past 3 1/2 years the Obama administration has only moved backwards in the wrong direction. Time to put it in reverse and turn around and head “FORWARD” in the right direction.

THE RICHMOND COUNTY school board is meeting to discuss personnel matters. When it involves our tax dollars, it is a lot more than personnel. How about the public’s business?

RANT TO THE VA hospital. In all of my 75 years, I have never experienced such a bad, bad telephone system.

AS THE SMELL FROM the trash Dumpsters at the post office on Peach Orchard Road permeates the air, it reminds me of one simple truth: I must get out of Richmond County, Land of the Lost.

I WISH DEKE Copenhaver would stop talking about relocating the stadium to downtown. They need to bring some department stores and drug stores back downtown and leave the stadium where it is at.

RANT FOR college students who do not know how to cross the street. First you look to your left, then to your right, and then you cross.

REMEMBER TO check your bill at University Hospital. You are paying for that blue cup of ice.

Jake
Jake 05/09/12 - 07:28 pm
Hospital charges

When my son was in what was then called "Doctors Hospital" on Wheeler Road back in the 70's, I got a very good education into hospital charges.
We did not have insurance so all charges were out-of-pocket. He was in for a hand injury which Dr Still did a great job on. I was asked if we wanted a sling and a blue plastic tub that had a towel and some other small items in them. Being naive I said yes. When I received the bill from the hospital it included a $50 charge for a sling which was nothing more than a cloth diaper because they ran out of official slings. It also included a $125 charge for the little blue plastic tub and the little pieces of junk they had in there. Beware the blue plastic anything in the hospital and ask about the price of everything they offer you.

Tots
Tots 05/09/12 - 08:21 pm
Hospital Charges/Last rant

I worked in the central supply at MCG hospital back in the late 80's,you guys have no idea just what a mark up the hospitals really place on items..It's all an insurance scam..

Hi Jake,those plastic tubs and rubber gloves were big mark-up money making items..

Tots
Tots 05/09/12 - 08:31 pm
7th rant/smell from dumpsters

Tots says-
Is this a repeat again,or is somebody going by there every few weeks to get a nose full?

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/09/12 - 09:01 pm
It looks as if interest in

It looks as if interest in The R & R has waned, likely for good reason.

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/09/12 - 09:05 pm
Reruns?

Didn't we just see the stinky post office dumpster and the atrocious VA phone system a few days ago?

Is the AC suffering from short term memory loss or have you posters run out of things to complain about?

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/10/12 - 05:41 am
YEP...

Yes WB ...I agree withya...
I've been looking for a DISCUSSION.....& looking for a RIVER .....let me look around here.....nope...don't see it....
ICL said it best....Don't fix what ain't broke...well maybe not those exact words....but someting near that...
i think GOB is on the RIVER with the pontoon boat....I think we will have a big DISCUSSION when I join him....I might even talk aout the hot posters that make this place click....or the crime in Richmond county that some want to ignore......or the agenda that is forced fed by tv-radio-news of all kinds....oooh what a world we live in...lately I feel forced fed for some reason....maybe there is a POINT in the madness.......anyway I miss the HOT DISCUSSIONS .........come home Bill Bailey......come home Rhett Butler....

Things just "ain't fittin"------seeya

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/10/12 - 05:49 am
HEH HEH

Won't you come home Bill Bailey
Won't you come home
I'll moan the whole night long
I'll do the cooking, honey
I'll pay the rent
I know that I've done you wrong
Ah, remember that rainy eve that
I drove you out
With nothing but a fine-tooth comb
Yes, I know that I'm to blame
And ain't that ashame
Bill Bailey, won't you please come home

Well, won't you come home Bill Bailey
Won't you come home
I'll moan the whole night long
I'm a-gonna do your cooking, honey
I'm a-gonna pay your rent

Yeh...I moan about it....& cry ......FIX IT !!

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/10/12 - 07:07 am
If this keeps up,, I'm going

If this keeps up,, I'm going to start a Grief Recovery discussion.

Good Morning Greater Augusta! It's really "cool" this a.m.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/10/12 - 07:20 am
Cool

Yes, Willow, it's a beautiful morning. I've got to do some yard work — tomorrow!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/10/12 - 07:23 am
#3

Ranter #3 is correct about the lackluster candidate field in District 1 — but the field in District 7 is ten times worse. I'm going for the underdog, because the favorite is part of the cabal.

allhans
allhans 05/10/12 - 07:38 am
Will the "Forward" motto be

Will the "Forward" motto be as meaningless as "Hope and Change"?

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/10/12 - 08:02 am
Allhans , how about one can

Allhans , how about one can only Hope for a Change and the ability to move Forward.

Yes, Forward.. The Jews moved Forward on the train to their destruction. How did they get All of them on that train with only a few Nazis in control? By promising them Change, but not defining what thT change would be. The Jews believed they were going to a safe place.

David Parker
David Parker 05/10/12 - 08:31 am
Step away from the horse Mayor.

I wanted it as bad as you Mayor C. But the stadium is what it is and I feel enough people have made it clear that in their opinion it is unecessary and frivolous to use public money to move the venue. If you've moved on, then enough said. This was to respond to the rant about you sticking to your guns on the topic. That is all. Carry on. I would ask that we create a season for feral cats within Richmond County. They need culling before we start looking like Siam or something.

Jake
Jake 05/10/12 - 09:19 am
Holocaust

I think comparing the Obama administration (or any previous administration) to the Holocaust is quite a S-T-R-E-T-C-H and an insult to the memory of the millions who were murdered. They had no choice in their fate whereas we have a choice as who to elect (albeit sorry choices).

raul
raul 05/10/12 - 09:21 am
raul
raul 05/10/12 - 09:34 am
@Jake. Well, you seem to be doing well in the points. I guess

the abuse warning I got from Sean didn't help my scoring.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/10/12 - 09:55 am
Neal Boortz Quote

I could not have said this any better.......

Did you hear that? Read the quote again. Does anything blatantly narcissistic stand out to you? Did you hear anything that might suggest that Obama is a self-important megalomaniac? How about this: “When I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf …” On my behalf??

Oh my! Here I thought these soldiers were fighting for their country! I thought they were fighting to keep us safe .. fighting for freedom … fighting to keep their fellow soldiers safe! Now we learn that they were fighting for BARACK OBAMA! “Wow! Look at all those soldiers, sailors and Marines out there fighting for ME! I was driving around yesterday when I heard this statement. I immediately called Cristina and had her save the audio … this is one for the books. As Charles Krauthammer said last night on Fox News … “Could you imagine Dwight Eisenhower saying that those troops who landed on Omaha Beach were fighting and dying for him?”

How about a few definitions … a cut-and-past job from Wikipedia:

Megalomania

•Megalomania is a psycho-pathological condition characterized by delusional fantasies of power, relevance, or omnipotence. 'Megalomania is characterized by an inflated sense of self-esteem and overestimation by persons of their powers and beliefs'.[1] Historically it was used as an old name for narcissistic personality disorder prior to the latter's first use by Heinz Kohut in 1968, and is used these days as a non-clinical equivalent.[2][3] It is not mentioned in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)[4] or the International Statistical Classification of Diseases (ICD).

Etymology

The word megalomania is derived from the Greek words "μεγαλο": megalo-, meaning large or great, and "μανία": mania, meaning madness, frenzy. The first attested use of the word "megalomania" in English is in 1890 as a translation of the French word "mégalomanie".

Proposed distinction from narcissism: Bertrand Russell

A quotation by Bertrand Russell gives his interpretation of megalomania: "The megalomaniac differs from the narcissist by the fact that he wishes to be powerful rather than charming, and seeks to be feared rather than loved. To this type belong many lunatics and most of the great men of history."[5]

happychimer
19392
happychimer 05/10/12 - 10:13 am
If the smell from the trash

If the smell from the trash dumster is so bad, then quit sniffing it. I live in Richmond County and I don't smell it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/10/12 - 10:36 am
Peach Orchard

That post office is located in a shopping center with several other businesses. How the serial ranter knows that odor is coming from the post office dumpster and not from any of the other ones in that area is suspicious. There are several restaurants nearby as well as nail salons, beauty parlors, convenience stores, etc.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/10/12 - 11:06 am
Good Morning LL, CG, happy.

Good Morning LL, CG, happy. raul, and y'all.

That's where you are wrong Jake...choices. We ALWAYS have choices. We may not like them or find one that is ideal or perfect, but we have them. Believing anything less is to give up our God given abilities and responsibility. As to my mentioning the Holocaust, it is a valuable lesson in our history . We should learn everything we can from that evil. Relying on the government to take care of us is suicide.

Tots
Tots 05/10/12 - 11:09 am
Trash rant- Could there be a

Trash rant- Could there be a missing/dead body in the trash can? Maybe somebody keeps posting rants,so they will find it...

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/10/12 - 11:15 am
Raul, was that "?" a warning

Raul, was that "?" a warning or serious inquiry? Been meaning to tell you, I visited Greenville last month. Very cool riverfront with just a little bit of river. The town is alive and fun. Great place for weekend get away or even a day trip. Plan to go back.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/10/12 - 11:19 am
That's what I've been

That's what I've been thinking Tots. A smell that bad should be investigated

fftaz71
fftaz71 05/10/12 - 11:39 am
Ok I just tried to read the

Ok I just tried to read the "changes to online comments" article. Its empty other than a sentence that says yall changed the policies and to read them here. The article closed with it should be fun. Hmmmm.....

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/10/12 - 11:48 am
points?

Just wanted to see how many I have.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/10/12 - 11:49 am
Now I am disapointed.

Now I am disapointed.

allhans
allhans 05/10/12 - 12:28 pm
Has anyone called the health

Has anyone called the health department about the odor. I think they would be concerned especially if the dumpster might be used by a restaurant.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/10/12 - 12:30 pm
Or are we scoring like golf?

Or are we scoring like golf?

allhans
allhans 05/10/12 - 12:31 pm
It is spring, feels like

It is spring, feels like summer. People are outdoors finding better things to do than what I am doing this minute.
Shrubbery, here I come.

Trouble
Trouble 05/10/12 - 12:38 pm
Afternoon all

Afternoon all

Smith case referred to Attorney General's office

A state probe into allegations former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith moonlighted for a hospitality company while drawing his Georgia State Patrol salary will be reviewed by the state attorney ...