Home   |   News   |   Sports   |   Business   |   Opinion   |   Things to Do   |   Blogs   |   Photos   |   Video

Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IF YOU ARE breaking the law in North Augusta, you deserve a ticket. So just stay out of our neighborhood if you don’t live here and want to break the law.

WHY IN THE WORLD is Alvin Mason still one of our community leaders sitting on the commission? This man is no role model. Come on, guys.

ANIMAL CONTROL needs to pick up all these dogs that are barking and chasing cars up and down the street.

RAVES TO MS. PAM at the Harlem IGA. She is always nice and polite to customers.

TO SEE WHY no one wants to move to Augusta, ride down Rhodes Drive and Lindsey Road in south Augusta. There are houses that aren’t fit to live in. Houses and yards are nasty, full of trash, and one in particular has black plastic on every window. One was burned months ago and is still sitting. This is an eyesore and a safety and environmental hazard.

THIS IS A RANT to whoever selects the Rants & Raves. You can never resist printing derogatory and inflammatory comments from ranters about people on public assistance and anti-Obama remarks. Try printing a balance because I know there are people sending in rants about Republicans that we never get to see.

THE PEOPLE OF South Carolina don’t even know how to drive. Why would anyone consider that they know how to manufacture tires?

RAVES TO THE Rich­mond County DMV. All the windows were open and the line was long, but it only took me 10 minutes to take care of my business. What a joy. … Thanks to Marcie Whitfield, who made it so easy.

IF OUR LOCAL government is going to cut trash pickup from the twice a week to once a week, it will need to give residents additional cans or this city will go from the Garden City of the South to the trashiest city of the South.

CLAIMING SAFETY reasons, GHSU President Ricardo Azziz is trying to jam up traffic in his area. Now Paine College is trying to do the same thing. Can this be a coincidence?

SCIENTISTS HAVE replicated artificial DNA. Man surely does want to be God, but man can’t pull it off. Even the ambitious geniuses admit this new stuff “isn’t entirely artificial.” In other words, God made everything, so anything man can do with that stuff still requires God’s “stuff” to get started.

U.S. REP. PAUL Broun, in answer to your loaded e-mail question, I agree with the Buffett rule. I just don’t want to go to or “like” your Facebook page in order to say so.

THIS IS A RANT for the trash service in Richmond County.

Jake
Jake 04/27/12 - 07:51 pm
The rant about the local

The rant about the local alcohol sales on Sunday seems to be a re-run from the other day. I submitted a rave a few weeks ago that never got printed. Maybe because I listed my zip code (a requirement) as 94061 (Redwood City, CA). My rave was for all the good people that donated funds to the South Haven Baptist Church to replace the money that was stolen from them in the coin jar that the children were using to buy playground equipment. Around $1,200 was taken. Anyway, the money was replaced by donations and the children got their playground and the photo I received of them on the playground equipment with their signatures on the back was very special.

KSL
122056
KSL 04/27/12 - 08:09 pm
Does alcohol bought on Sunday

Does alcohol bought on Sunday cause you to cause a wreck quicker than alcohol bought on other days????

Ranter 7, your rant was printed, now wasn't it!

KSL
122056
KSL 04/27/12 - 08:11 pm
Jake, I tried to call you

Jake, I tried to call you when I heard you were traveling.

copperhead
copperhead 04/27/12 - 08:32 pm
Most of us have to worry

Most of us have to worry about living day to day and what do the obamas do? Send mrs. obama to spain on a $100,000 per day vacation. NOW we know why they want taxes raised-so mrs. obama can take $200,000 per day vacations!

TCB22
TCB22 04/27/12 - 09:43 pm
Isn't it ironic that people

Isn't it ironic that people voted to approve consolidation because they were told they would get free garage service. There are rants about garbage service every day. Also, politicians said it would take about seven years for the consolidation "dust to settle.". Suxteen years later the government is worse than ever. Free garbage, indeed.

KSL
122056
KSL 04/27/12 - 10:44 pm
copperhead, Obama made less

copperhead, Obama made less money in 2011 than in 2010. $900,000 less as revealed by his tax return. I guess he made up for that by being president and providing a lifestyle way above what that $900 K would have provide for his wife and daughters.

KSL
122056
KSL 04/27/12 - 10:47 pm
TCB22, how much do you pay

TCB22, how much do you pay for garbage service? I pay 36 dollars every 2 months. Your government may be worse, but it isn't because of the garbage service.

Trouble
Trouble 04/28/12 - 01:42 am
morning all....these rants

morning all....these rants today make my head hurt..........

allhans
allhans 04/28/12 - 03:54 am
Where does folks get so much

Where does folks get so much trash? Once a week would be fine with me.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/28/12 - 05:20 am
So, if you live in N Awguster

So, if you live in N Awguster and break the law you don't deserve a ticket?

'Cause the people re-elected him?

At least it ain't cats again.

Tell her, not us. But it is nice to hear something good now and then.

Don't make me go into the archives and start pulling old rants about republicans.

What has driving got to do with working on an assembly line?

Raves for DMV? Will wonders never cease.

Or you could make a trip to the dump yourself.

Just wait until GHSU, ASU, and Pain all merge. You won't be able to get anywhere without going to college....... hmmmm. Could be a hidden agenda there.

I wonder where the knowledge to perform these "miracles" came from?

Then don't. Simple enough.

And today's winner is...... well, whats the rant about? Slow service, loud trucks, or the neighbor has a better looking garbage man?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/28/12 - 05:21 am
Good Mourning Trouble,

Good Mourning Trouble, seenit, Sean, and recently departed posters.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/28/12 - 05:23 am

EAT MORE BERRIES.......maybe you can remember where you left your keys-cell-glasses......etc.

good morning troublemakers.....& folks on timeout..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/28/12 - 05:25 am
Recently departed makes it

Recently departed makes it sounds like they are dead...RKill????

We can't killem off.....maybe beat the tar out of em sometimes...but let em live...:)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/28/12 - 05:38 am
How about recently banished?

How about recently banished?

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/28/12 - 05:43 am
ok...Or recently kicked to

ok...Or recently kicked to the curb....

One funeral a week is enough for me.....I'm still grieving over the tab funeral....

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/28/12 - 05:53 am
I have learned to accept my

I have learned to accept my punishment from Sean....heck I even like some of it....especially the spankings.....:):)

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/28/12 - 05:57 am
About spanking.....don't

About spanking.....don't pretend you have never had one....

61% of parents condone spanking as a "regular form of punishment" for young children, according to a different study.

Clearly, the majority of parents say they spank their kids. Various factors increase the likelihood, including geographic location (children in the South are spanked the most), family income (less money means more spanking), race (African-American mothers spank their children more than other ethnic groups), and religion (parents more fundamentalist in their religious beliefs spank more than those who are less so). But all in all, it's a pretty clear picture.

More spanking in the south....heh

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/28/12 - 06:06 am

Thank you no longer amazed.....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/28/12 - 06:16 am
Why do humans

Why do humans kiss....

Supporting the idea that kissing is learned rather than instinctual is the fact that not all humans kiss. Certain tribes around the world just don’t make out, anthropologists say. While 90 percent of humans actually do kiss, 10 percent have no idea what they’re missing.

Others believe kissing is indeed an instinctive behavior, and cite animals’ kissing-like behaviors as proof. While most animals rub noses with each other as a gesture of affection, others like to pucker up just like humans. Bonobos, for example, make up tons of excuses to swap some spit. They do it to make up after fights, to comfort each other, to develop social bonds, and sometimes for no clear reason at all – just like us.

Today, the most widely accepted theory of kissing is that humans do it because it helps us sniff out a quality mate. When our faces are close together, our pheromones “talk” – exchanging biological information about whether or not two people will make strong offspring. Women, for example, subconsciously prefer the scent of men whose genes for certain immune system proteins are different from their own. This kind of match could yield offspring with stronger immune systems, and better chances for survival.

The scent has always been important to me.....now I know why...:)

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 04/28/12 - 08:16 am
Raves to the 2012 Sacred

Raves to the 2012 Sacred Heart Garden Show and the the six families who participated in hosting their personal gardens. This is truly an event Augusta can be proud of. Exceptional! Thank you for continuing this event. If you missed it on Friday, it will continue through Sunday. It's a gardener's "Masters".

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/28/12 - 08:45 am
"IF OUR LOCAL government is

"IF OUR LOCAL government is going to cut trash pickup from the twice a week to once a week,"

If they are going to cut pickup to once a week I want a 50% reduction in the bill they put on my taxes.........and we would still be being overcharged.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 04/28/12 - 08:50 am
Great book on kissing... "We

Great book on kissing... "We Still Kiss" and cool song by Aiken's own John Berry, "Kiss Me In The Car."

Good Morning Roadkill, just traveled 1500 miles and thought of you! And all of your driving hours. Where are you today? Keep safe.

twolane
twolane 04/28/12 - 09:48 am
wow the kissing rant was just

wow the kissing rant was just well useless

drmdolfan
drmdolfan 04/28/12 - 12:06 pm
To the person who thinks

To the person who thinks South Carolina can't manufacture tires...apparently intelligent corporate executives don't agree with your nonsensical logic. We have attracted some pretty significant and successful companies in South Carolina bringing both jobs and increased state GDP compared with Georgia. Go back to school and perhaps you'll be able to get a job in South Carolina at one of those companies.

daphne3520
daphne3520 04/28/12 - 02:01 pm
How's come the North Augusta

How's come the North Augusta cops can arrest "speeders," but NO tickets written for people parked in Handicapped spots or Fire Lanes? Huh? Huh?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/28/12 - 02:14 pm
You don't have to hammer the

You don't have to hammer the keyboard for it to work! And parents keep your children under control and quiet at the library or take them out of there!

allhans
allhans 04/28/12 - 02:26 pm
AL..Some libraries are

AL..Some libraries are quieter than others. It depends on the clientele.

Have you tried the Maxwell branch? Ten years ago it was quiet and restful..don't know about now.
At Appleby you can hear the old beams (or is it the ghosts?) squeak and groan.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/28/12 - 02:56 pm
Ya know, if my experiences

Ya know, if my experiences were that bad every time I would quit going

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/28/12 - 04:26 pm
AL, I feel your pain about

AL, I feel your pain about unruly children. I get so aggravated at restaurants with the squealing and shrieking of some, I could squeal and shriek myself. I understand that between newborn and toddler they don't understand the rules of where to be quiet and where they can freewheel; but I see children old enough to be learning better just making all manner of racket with mom, dad, and sometimes grandparents just ignoring it or trying to appease the brat to be quiet.

"You hush that crying or I will give you something to cry about!" was the catchphrase when I was a kid. It worked too....

Clemson, Auburn play 2016-17

Clemson and Auburn have scheduled a home-and-home football series for the 2016 and 2017 seasons, the schools announced Wednesday.