Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A RANT TO COLUMBIA COUNTY. Get over yourselves, and stop letting these so-called Republicans run things. Matter of fact, half of them do not own anything, just the shirt on their backs, and love to put illegal things in the black community after dark, “making money” as if no one can read between the lines.

MRS. OBAMA IS the first lady of the United States. Her duties, as with prior first ladies, involve much more than staying at the White House raising the kids while the husband works. They are public servants, as well. Also, review your historical facts. Many of the first ladies had their own careers and taxpaying jobs before their husbands became president. To single out Mrs. Obama in defense of Mrs. Romney shows your true colors. She is not the first first lady ever, just the first one of color, and THAT is why people have issues with her. Isn’t she a stay-at-home mom – really! The position of first lady is a full time position: ask Hillary, Laura Bush, et al. This shouldn’t even be an issue if we really do have freedom of choice.

IT SEEMS LIKE THE only rants and raves printed are anti-Obama. Is this a true reflection of the readers and the person(s) who select which comments to publish? It would be nice to read differences in opinions.

I HAVE FOUR “indoor only” cats that I willingly accepted into my home. In addition, I have two sometimes indoor, sometimes outdoor strays who came to me starved for food and affection and very much in need of a vet. Please have some compassion for all the unloved, uncared-for pets in our area and encourage all you know to spay and neuter.

YOUR EDITORIAL SAYS the school board must be “compassionate” about the sick superintendent. How about compassion for the students and the taxpayers? It’s tragic that Roberson is sick, but if he is, he is thus unqualified and must be taken care of but not kept in an office he clearly is not handling – at all. Cut his pay back to something reasonable, disqualify him and take him out of office, and hire a true superintendent, not another interim. You can’t let compassion sink the ship.

Comments (27)

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/20/12 - 06:49 pm

A Secret Service agent

A Secret Service agent appears to have had fantasies about his time guarding Sarah Palin that he shared on Facebook. Join the crowd.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/20/12 - 08:23 pm

There have been some "silver

There have been some "silver spoon" presidents who did a great job, others not so much. Same with "blue collar" presidents. I'd consider Obama, Clinton, Reagan, Carter, Nixon, Ford, Eisenhower and Johnson blue collar. I'd consider Bush and Kennedy silver spoon. Agree?

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/21/12 - 04:10 am

RM, saw a cartoon in another

RM, saw a cartoon in another paper. SS Agent goes home and tells his wife he has been fired. When she ask why, he says, "If I tell you, you would have to kill me".

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/21/12 - 06:10 am

1) Seems most everybody

1) Seems most everybody agrees the Columbia County is better off than Richmond... maybe we should get rid of the Democrats in all levels of government.

2) I can't believe you are attempting to make a racial issue out of this. Maybe you should do a self evaluation before calling somebody else racist.

3) I find plenty in support of the Emperor. Perhaps a reading comprehension course is in order.

4) But there were some good generalizations in support of a lady sheriff. But then there's that PMS thing..........

5) At the moment I am stray free. There are two buried in my back yard that seemed to really like my house. It couldn't be because I am a softie when it comes to critters and fed them could it?

6) Why not? Compassion (entitlements) are sinking the US of A.

Retired Army
Retired Army 04/21/12 - 06:15 am

Cliche War For Today: "You

Cliche War For Today:
"You can't trade shoes with a barefoot monkey."

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/21/12 - 06:21 am

Good Mourning Awguster,

Good Mourning Awguster, Trouble, seenit, and the alphabet crew.

Wives and girlfriends are safe this weekend, I'm outta town.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/21/12 - 08:05 am

Good Morning America, AC

Good Morning America, AC Friends and TSD's.

My morning e-mail copy and paste. Been around but has true facts,

Scary Obituary
In 1887 Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh ,had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior:

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government.
A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a dictatorship."

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years.
During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage."
The Obituary follows:

Born 1776, Died 2012
It doesn't hurt to read this several times.

Professor Joseph Olson of Hamline University School of Law in St. Paul , Minnesota , points out some interesting facts concerning the last Presidential election:

Number of States won by: Obama: 19 McCain: 29
Square miles of land won by: Obama: 580,000 McCain: 2,427,000
Population of counties won by: Obama: 127 million McCain: 143 million
Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Obama: 13.2 McCain: 2.1

Professor Olson adds: "In aggregate, the map of the territory McCain won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of the country.

Obama territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in low income
tenements and living off various forms of government welfare..."

Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the
"complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.
This is truly scary!
Of course we are not a democracy, we are a Constitutional Republic ...
Someone should point this out to Obama.
Of course we know he and too many others pay little attention to The Constitution.
There couldn't be more at stake than on Nov 6, 2012.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/21/12 - 08:41 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/21/12 - 08:53 am

The Good and The Bad. Obama's

The Good and The Bad.

Obama's Big Donors Slow to Write Checks
His fundraising is down compared to 2008

(Newser) – Whether because of the economy, fighting with Wall Street, or the lack of an exciting primary battle of his own, President Obama's fundraising this election cycle is behind where it was in 2008—$196 million as of the end of the March, down from $235 million in March 2008, reports the New York Times. It blames the falloff on big donors, from major industries to Hollywood stars, failing to keep up with their pace of 2008, meaning the campaign is pushing harder among small, grass-roots supporters.

“They clearly are feeling the pressure,” says one big Obama fundraiser. “They’re behind where they expected to be. You have to factor in $500 million-plus in Republican super PAC money.” The bright side for Democrats: Because of Obama's many joint fundraisers, the Democratic National Committee has raised about $150 million, twice what it had in 2008. And without a primary battle, Obama's election campaign is spending far less than four years ago, leaving it with plenty of money in the bank—$130 million, well ahead of Mitt Romney and the Republicans so far. (Might this be a $2 billion election?)

Bizkit
22010
Bizkit 04/21/12 - 09:08 am

I agree River and those guys

I agree River and those guys had a silver spoon in their mouths not up their nose with a load of coke like Obama.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/21/12 - 09:17 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/21/12 - 09:21 am

Wonder how many will be on

Wonder how many will be on the AC after July 9th?

Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July (Top Headlines)

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/21/12 - 09:37 am

Special Collection Service.....we know more than it seems .....geez --I hope so........amazing news sources in sooo many places.....you can actually get real news outside of the csra....imagine THAT!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/21/12 - 09:53 am

Food stamp use up 70% since 2007.......we need more gardens like my granmam had....fresh veggies-----grown in the beautiful area of Lumpkin/Peach orch Rd.......if only folks had the spunk & know how of some of the oldtimers....they didn't have the college degree but they were self-reliant & didn't depend on daddie government to feed-clothe them.
When did we lose that ??? Why did we lose that??

c6murphy
c6murphy 04/21/12 - 10:16 am

Seeitb4, have you been to

Seeitb4, have you been to Lumpkin and Peach Orchard lately?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/21/12 - 10:30 am

It doesn't matter if seenit

It doesn't matter if seenit has seen it lately. countyman says it's a great place. Almost as good as Columbia County.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/21/12 - 10:45 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 04/21/12 - 10:50 am

To c6murphy Yes I have seen

To c6murphy

Yes I have seen it.....yes I know what you are saying to me....ain't the same is it??

I noticed this in one of your posts....
River man, I grew up in Augusta, I was proud of my hometown but I was gone for 30 years. When I returned I was amazed at what I saw. Millions for a river walk that is inhabited by God only knows, the south side that was once growing and prosperous all by imploded. Arguments centered on race instead of how to grow the town.(nice post)

I feel the same sad way you feel.....i know when the Regency Mall was a great place to shop---both of my daughters worked there...
Augusta politics let south Augusta go down the drain imho......I've always thought things could turn around.....but the people in the area have to want it as much as we do....too much crime has decimated what was once a vibrant & growing place....

If I had a magic wand I would use it over the area south of the Gordon Hy......the powers in charge have more or less given up......what they don't seem to understand is the dead weight will take them down too....if you have some ideas c6...please share them on here....I'm listening.....
My Good ole Boy husband wants to move to Hiawassee.....I want to move back home near my family (CSRA)...sometimes I think he is right.....cleaner air---good safe area in N Ga--less traffic---nice lake---but it gets boring in the winter & cooold..

KittyW923
KittyW923 04/21/12 - 10:55 am

Suggestion > Why not close

Suggestion > Why not close the usage roads going through GHSU and Paine College. Go to Macon and see how they closed off College Street where MERCER UNIVERSITY is. When I first moved to Macon in 1984 You could drive through the university and you were having to rubber neck to keep an eye out for students crossing the street. After a few years of cars hitting students they finily closed that part and it is very nice . Go look on one of your road trips .

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/21/12 - 10:56 am

There are ways for you and

There are ways for you and the GOB to stay warm in the winter. But I won't go into detail here. There are just too many types of wood heaters on the market now.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/21/12 - 11:01 am

Can you elaborate on staying

Can you elaborate on staying warm...RK??

Hahah....GOB probably knows most tricks....he sez he has hunted in 15 degrees B4......not me!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/21/12 - 11:28 am
raul
raul 04/21/12 - 11:52 am

RANT: TO THE PERSON ASKING

RANT: TO THE PERSON ASKING WHY a woman officer doesn’t run for sheriff in Richmond County, it’s simple. Just like the golf course in Augusta, she is not one of The Good Old Boys. Have to be a male or a Good Old Boy to do anything in Augusta.

How many woman are employed by RCSO? How many would have the rank of LT or higher? How many woman have expressed even an interest in running for Sheriff. Why did I even respond to this rant?

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/21/12 - 03:31 pm

Are we sure those photos are

Are we sure those photos are from the 1930s? I could be wrong, but most of them look older.

twolane
twolane 04/21/12 - 04:03 pm

obama attended the most

obama attended the most expensive schools in the country ponahau school is 18,000 dollars a year and you call him BLUE COLLAR are you kidding me

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 04/21/12 - 04:29 pm

Anyone know where I can find

Anyone know where I can find coverage of the Dissembler-in-Chief's call to the family of little Keegan, the infant whose white mother was killed, (shot down like a dog, to use a well-worn phase) by a black woman?

Anyone?

Anyone?

* crickets *

Jake
Jake 04/21/12 - 04:31 pm

The photos are much older

The photos are much older than the 30's. If you see men wearing derby's then you can assume the 1900's until about the 1920's. Also it looked like flood waters in some photos and the flood was before the 1930's.

raul
raul 04/21/12 - 05:57 pm

Can anyone tell me what Rant

Can anyone tell me what Rant # 1 means?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/21/12 - 11:29 pm

No idea Raul. I saw that one

No idea Raul. I saw that one and read through the posts to see if there was discussion. Sounds like an Obama supporter to me who has bought into the cultural envy he promotes.

Meth use on rise in Richmond County

Production of meth, a highly addictive drug made from household cold medicine, batteries, drain cleaner, brake fluid and other harmful chemicals, increased in recent years when the shake-and-bake ...