Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WHAT IS THAT smelly smell that I smell every morning on my way to work? It sure does stink.

HOW MANY MORE accidents and near misses at Furys Ferry and Washington Roads before the pretty shrubbery is trimmed back to give motorists merging right from Furys Ferry to Washington Road a clear view of traffic coming up the hill? Or are we going to have to pay out on a lawsuit first?

THE CHRONICLE seems to accuse George Zimmerman of having a bad “attitude.” If attitude is a crime, then everybody in the world is a criminal.

THE RICHMOND COUNTY Board of Education makes me wonder whether the people have any sense. The transportation department is falling apart because of the man you got running it. I am a driver of 25 years and I am looking for a new job. Maybe Venus Cain and Marion Barnes might better go to Augusta Tech to get training to become a bus driver because they are going to need you to drive.

RICK MCKEE’S Bubba cartoon was tacky, to say the very least. Could it
be that he was rooting for Tiger Woods? Shame, shame.

ANYONE WHO CAN have so much venom for cats that they rant to the paper about it, and call people who care for cats “sick” needs some serious psychological attention. There are quite a few therapists in the region; please avail yourself.

DIDN’T MCG ALREADY change its name to GHSU? That name change cost a lot of money. If GHSU is a brand-new name, why are they searching for another new name?

GHSU PRESIDENT Ricardo Azziz plans to make Laney-Walker Boulevard less wide to make it safer because of traffic, both cars and pedestrians. How much money and confusion will that cost taxpayers? Did Azziz ever hear of a traffic light?

A RANT TO THE PERSON who could not find enough at Goodwill. Go to Catholic Social Services; they have plenty and are in no danger of running out anytime soon.

TO ALL WHO ARE going to have a yard sale: Put in a street address. Putting in the subdivision name does not get it. No one knows where all the subdivisions are located. With one address in the subdivision, we can find it by using MapQuest or GPS.

debroyal
debroyal 04/17/12 - 07:12 pm
Rant To The Richmond County

Rant To The Richmond County Traffic Control Department. Highway 56 was closed Tuesday evening for several hours due to an accident. Traffic was redirected to Brown Road or through Goshen. We went through Goshen from 56 and there were two county police cars and throughout Goshen we saw 4 other police cars. The officers were just sitting in their cars while the traffic was horrific. It took us over 30 minutes to get from one end of Goshen to Pine Hill without anyone directing traffic. Why were the officers not out directing the traffic to reduce the jumbled mess??

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/17/12 - 08:39 pm
I don't know, but is it

I don't know, but is it cleared up yet? Getting worried....

KSL
KSL 04/17/12 - 09:17 pm
Non provocative rants for

Non provocative rants for this episode.

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 04/17/12 - 10:31 pm
Besides mapping crime scenes

Besides mapping crime scenes (http://chronicle.augusta.com/data/crimemap), the AC folks might facilitating a similar service for garage sales, farmer's markets, Halloween/Christmas lightings, etc.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/18/12 - 05:03 am
Good Mourning Awguster,

Good Mourning Awguster, Trouble, seenit, wb, rm, ch, cg, wb, and any of the alphabet I missed.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/18/12 - 05:35 am
Today's rundown.... Where do

Today's rundown....

Where do you live/work? Do you live close to the landfill? Is there a dumpster close by? Are you close to the paper mill? Did you use deodorant?

You might try using the traffic light. All the turn lanes at that intersection have turn signals. If it is gonna make you that late to wait for the green arrow, leave earlier.

Don't forget Al and Jesse. And again for those who continue to make a racial case out of it, Zimmerman is HISPANIC not white. Please blame the correct race.

RCBOE and sense used in the same sentence? Does not compute.

It's called SATIRE, get over yourself and laugh a little. The sanity you save may be your own.

Anyone who doesn't like kitties has never been loved by one.

Who cares about the name as long as it remains one of the top rated medical schools in the US of A. A rose by any other name.........

If you are confused but a street changing size but not route, you may need to turn in your dribbin' license.

And there is also the Salvation Army store(s), several thrift shops, and more than one Goodwill. You also need to check often, the really good stuff goes fast.

Buy entering the name in MapQuest, Google Maps, and many GPS's you can find the subdivision. Try that and then complain.

And have a nice day, ya hear.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/18/12 - 05:04 am
Anybody heard from one of my

Anybody heard from one of my favorite antagonists (happy chimer) lately?
Hope she is OK.

daphne3520
daphne3520 04/18/12 - 07:42 am
And, ANYONE that "thinks,"

And, ANYONE that "thinks," their cats should be allowed to roam free, geton neighbors cars, etc., ALSO need some serious psychological evaluation.

daphne3520
daphne3520 04/18/12 - 07:44 am
And, Rant #1: WHERE?

And, Rant #1: WHERE? Dontcha think those details are salient?

kmb413
kmb413 04/18/12 - 09:31 am
I think Zimmerman asked the

I think Zimmerman asked the DA to press charges so he could be in jail. He was probably fearing for his life with the bounty on his head. Not saying jail is any safer, but it could be safer than the street in his case.

At least now everyone will have their day in court.

meginlea
meginlea 04/18/12 - 09:32 am
1. Where do you work? Where

1. Where do you work? Where are you driving? This information would help people identify the smell for you.

2. What did someone say about cats? I'm so confused.

3. Hahaha a stoplight instead of changing the entire road. That's funny. It made me laugh. Thanks.

happychimer
happychimer 04/18/12 - 09:37 am
rk thanks for asking. I am

rk thanks for asking. I am ok. I read the comments but don't post much.

happychimer
happychimer 04/18/12 - 09:42 am
I loved the Bubba cartoon. It

I loved the Bubba cartoon. It was not slamming Bubba who won the Masters. It was just a redneck joke, and we Southerners love redneck jokes.The golfer is a down to earth kind of fellow, and does not put on airs. He is country. I guess if you are not from the South you wouldn't understand.

happychimer
happychimer 04/18/12 - 09:44 am
My mama's grandmother told

My mama's grandmother told her never trust anyone who does not love animals;especially cats.

happychimer
happychimer 04/18/12 - 09:53 am
My cat has been declawed,

My cat has been declawed, spaded, shots, microchip, and is strictly an indoor cat. My pet ball-python does not bother anyone as long as he gets a warm cage, water, food, and a lot of attention. My husband and I consider our pets family.

fftaz71
fftaz71 04/18/12 - 11:21 am
RK Zimmerman is Caucasian.

RK Zimmerman is Caucasian. Hispanic is not considered its own race- hence the "Caucasion not of Hispanic origin" option on the EEOC forms. Nevertheless, his mother is white so its a moot point...

The smell the first ranter is referring to would seem to me to be what emanates from the paper mills. If it is, directions are kind of a moot point b/c you can smell it all over the area. Ive smelled it many times from the Martinez/Evans/Fort Gordon area. It all depends on the humidity and wind direction.

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/18/12 - 11:27 am
Hey KSL, I saw your note the

Hey KSL, I saw your note the other day but I've changed email services and I don't have my old email addresses. You can find me on Wikipedia. Look in Evolution or Smooth muscle article Talk page and click on editor GetAgrippa (that's me). Leave me a message.

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/18/12 - 11:42 am
A rant against PETSMART who

A rant against PETSMART who has a policy not to sell any animals for purposes of research. Most colleges demand their students do research (which is regulated by ethics committees) so I don't understand their anti-research and anti-education stance. Unless they use to and some student found some issue with their animals. I wonder because I have a PhD at the end of my name will I be refused any animals as I was recently refused 50-60$ worth of fish (because I mentioned in passing they were for a student research project) . I would hope that they don't discriminate in such a manner. Doesn't seem very SMART does it.

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 04/18/12 - 11:56 am
Happychimer, you sound like a

Happychimer, you sound like a loving responsible pet owner. I agree that you can't trust people that don't like animals. A lot of men don't like cats because they can't control them. :)

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/18/12 - 12:12 pm
Caucasian has nothing to do

Caucasian has nothing to do with skin color but a gene pool. They are from Europe, Asia, and North Africa. So if Obama's biological father were from Northern Africa (and since his mother is caucasian) then he would be considered full caucasian. You can have dark pigmented skin and be caucasian. America has a weird nomenclature.

David Parker
David Parker 04/18/12 - 12:27 pm
someone is jealous that

someone is jealous that felines get 9 lives. There's no other way to say it.

happychimer
happychimer 04/18/12 - 12:34 pm
Frog I have had people ask me

Frog I have had people ask me why I love my pets when that love would be better on people I love, such as kids and grandkids. I tell them there is enough love to go around, and that my kids and grandkids love my pets too.

iLove
iLove 04/18/12 - 01:05 pm
??? Someone said: "You can

??? Someone said: "You can have dark pigmented skin and be caucasian. America has a weird nomenclature." WHAT?!?!?

Which "race" of people were the first to give people names based on the color of their skin?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/18/12 - 01:22 pm
I knew it. I'm not racist

I knew it. I'm not racist after all!!! The Emperor's mother was Caucasian. Now will you finally get it that I don't like him because of what he is doing to this country?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/18/12 - 01:23 pm
i love the way races are

i love the way races are defined by how easy it is to play the race card.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/18/12 - 01:36 pm
Even though happy and I

Even though happy and I disagree on about everything, I can't believe I got thumbs down for asking about her. I guess that makes her and I a lot more human than you.

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/18/12 - 02:28 pm
Well there are no biological

Well there are no biological races strictly speaking but caucasians (refers to the Mount Caucasus) are from Europe, North Africa, Western, Central and South Asia. So arabs are caucasian as well as germans. It doesn't refer to skin tone. When modern man left Africa he already had in his genome all the skin tones we presently recognize (the only thing new is blue eyes which was the basis of the movie 10,000 BC. Blue eyes are expressed in all notions of "race". Evolution selected for the expansion of the different pigments because of its relationship between skin pigment with Vitamin D and Folate and ultraviolet light. We are all African-Americans here because all humans left African and populated the earth. So all migrated out of Africa and eventually found our way here to America so we are technically all African-Americans.

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/18/12 - 02:34 pm
See there is only one human

See there is only one human genome-it is not race dependent. There is more genetic diversity between individuals within a particular "Race" than between the races. We just hadn't enough time to evolve big differences as there is less than .5% genetic differences between any population. Strange how we make a big difference of little difference.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/18/12 - 03:06 pm
Best quote I read today:

Best quote I read today: "The UN is as effective ... as Snooki on Jeopardy!"