Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THE APRIL 11 EDITORIAL cartoon is awful, comparing Bubba Watson, the latest winner of the Masters, to a slob redneck. He taught himself golf, is a Christian and seems to be a very nice, well-grounded young man. All people that live in mobile homes are not slobs either. You need to be more than a good artist to do these cartoons. Maybe you should research the subject more before doing the cartoon.

THE RICHMOND COUNTY school system is trying to “recruit more qualified school bus drivers.” With unemployment so high, you’d think there’d be hundreds of people looking for such jobs. Why aren’t there? Because so many would rather live off welfare and food stamps. Cut off the welfare and watch people flock to get driver jobs.

SHAME ON THE PERSON that took my Macy’s bag with my Clinique purchase and free gift I had just purchased and paid for. The receipt has my name on it, not yours. I went right back to where I had left it, but you took it already. Don’t think you got away with it, because God knows you took it.

HOW POMPOUS of Exxon Mobil to run five different commercials during the Masters stating how stupid our children are. It is self-serving and nothing else.

I WOULD LIKE TO RAVE to Cole Funeral Home in Aiken. Mr. Cole understood our family’s loss and went above and beyond to carry out our wishes. His kindness, attention to detail and professionalism were second to none.

WE WERE VISITING from Santa Barbara, Calif., and this is our first Mas­ters. Augusta Na­tional has to be the most beautiful golf course in the world. One suggestion, though: Your Web site should list the areas of town to avoid. We must have made a wrong turn and ended up in an area called “Deans Bridge.” Stopped at an intersection, we had eggs thrown at our rental car. The area looked like some Third World slum. I doubt city leaders want visitors like us seeing that side of town. It was truly frightening.

ABOUT OBAMACARE and the Supreme Court, Charles Krauthammer writes that Obama was “taken aback” and is “losing to logic.” What Obama is doing is panicking. He says he taught constitutional law, yet he can’t seem to figure out even the basics of that subject, so every day he contradicts himself, the law, the Constitution and all common sense.

countyman
20129
countyman 04/15/12 - 08:00 pm
There's too much traffic,

There's too much traffic, commercial buildings, etc and not any neighborhoods located right on the edge of the most recognizable part of Deans Bridge rd in South Augusta.. Which means you probably ended up on the Deans Bridge rd section around Southside, etc.. Deans Bridge turns into Milledgeville rd and finally becomes MLK in this area of the city. Every part of Deans Bridge doesn't look the same in Augusta either.. That's definitely a poorer area of Augusta, but nothing in the US looks third world... The ghettos in California might look nice because of the weather, but it's still the hood.

kwhorne
kwhorne 04/15/12 - 09:50 pm
"visitors like us" -

"visitors like us" - really?!?! This comment makes me angry, I have been on Deans Bridge Road several times and never had eggs thrown at my car... Having visited a less developed country, it didn't look like Deans Bridge Road, truly an ignorant comment

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/16/12 - 04:47 am
First off, it will be the

First off, it will be the death of editorial cartoons if they EVER become politically correct! Having to worry about stepping on the toes of this group, or that group?? Naahh. And you're right...there's nothing wrong with living in a mobile home if that's the best you can afford. As far as the visitors from California, yeah, you did take a wrong turn. And no, the city of Augusta will never post places in town for you to avoid....that would be too offensive to the folks that live there. Just chalk it up to a missed oppurtunity to have caught some free eggs! And now you've gone and got countyman all riled up, talking bad about his beautiful Augusta!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/16/12 - 05:20 am
I did know one out of town

I did know one out of town sales rep who traveled using his GPS from GHSU the back way out to Gordon Hwy on his way to Eisenhower who told me the same thing. He said he felt like he was in a third world country.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/16/12 - 07:00 am
Good Mourning Awguster,

Good Mourning Awguster, Trouble, seenit, Abby, rm, cg, ch, and the rest of the alphabet.

Once again if you are wondering why I use mourning instead of morning, read the headlines.

Trouble
Trouble 04/16/12 - 07:03 am
morning all, to the 3rd rant,

morning all, to the 3rd rant, maybe it should be shame on you for leaving it where someone could be tempted to steal it, thus condemning the other poor otherwise innocent soul to hell............(sarcasm, because some wont recognize it for what it is...)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/16/12 - 07:09 am
countyman, have you ever

countyman, have you ever traveled to a 3rd world country?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/16/12 - 07:12 am
free gift I had just

free gift I had just purchased and paid for...???

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/16/12 - 07:13 am
Yep, I have joined the

Yep, I have joined the grammar police force :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/16/12 - 07:14 am
Good am to all......Don't

Good am to all......Don't know where on Deans Bridge but I do know there are some good parts & not so good parts.....
That can change.....as soon as Augusta gets new politicians in office....ya gotta change the people pulling the strings......ya know what I'm talking about........stop playing puppets to certain folks downtown........

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/16/12 - 07:16 am
FYI, Bubba Watson recently

FYI, Bubba Watson recently bought the original General Lee of the "Dukes of Hazard" TV series... 'nuff said.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/16/12 - 07:20 am
About mobile homes.....have

About mobile homes.....have yall seen the prices on some of these homes??.....some are nice & roomy........anyway......Id rather see mhomes that a homeowner was paying for than many brick townhomes that the taxpayer paid for...give me a redneck trailer owner with a pick up truck with a gun rack paying his own way---ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/16/12 - 07:22 am
I hope trouble has gotten

I hope trouble has gotten well & RK did the house work for her this week....did ya?

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/16/12 - 07:31 am
The reason some areas might

The reason some areas might look neglected to outsiders is because they have been neglected by the leaders in Augusta....if it ain't downtown it doesn't count....
ctyman will come on & say that isn't true....but if you live in South Augusta ya know the truth...doncha...

But some want this to change......some running for office will change things....also you have to take pride in your own area....little things matter....picking up trash along your road---putting in community gardens--cleaning parks for the kids......Fleming was once a beautiful area.....it can be again....imho

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/16/12 - 08:05 am
What about the secret service

What about the secret service guys...heh heh

gotta run seeya

iLove
iLove 04/16/12 - 08:51 am
I personally do not believe

I personally do not believe that RANT about Deans Bridge. . . . how many wrong turns do you need to make to travel from the Augusta National Golf Club to Deans Bridge Rd.?

Who travels without a GPS system these days, either handheld or on a cellular phone?

Which area of Deans Bridge looks like a slum?

iLove
iLove 04/16/12 - 08:53 am
Tim Tebow, Bubba

Tim Tebow, Bubba Watson....men who profess their love for Christ on the national scene through sports. . . . . .my how God works!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/16/12 - 08:59 am
I don't use a GPS in my

I don't use a GPS in my personal car. Why, because the damn thing is far from perfect. I do use one in my company truck, 'cause that is the only way I can get directions anymore. Just last week it put me on a dead end road. I have much rather go back to my paper map.

smokeysbandit
smokeysbandit 04/16/12 - 09:06 am
G'morning Y'all; methinks the

G'morning Y'all; methinks the first ranter completely missed Ricks' point. Would try to explain but it'd probably still go over their head.

Bouganvillea
Bouganvillea 04/16/12 - 09:12 am
Regarding the Masters

Regarding the Masters visitors, they did say "an area called 'Deans Bridge'". That is a wide swath of territory and doesnt necessarily mean they were on Deans Bridge Rd itself. They may have seen a sign that said "Deans Bridge" and thought that entire part of town was called that. I know for a fact that there are some pretty slummy areas just off Deans Bridge Rd. As for GPS systems, I have used these before in a strange city and ended up in some seedy areas myself. They are not always correct.

smokeysbandit
smokeysbandit 04/16/12 - 09:16 am
Roadkill...got within 15ft of

Roadkill...got within 15ft of the General Lee a few months ago. Was talking to a husband/wife team for Reliable Carriers @ the T/A in Eloy. They were getting the truck polished 'cause they were headed in for a show. Found out they were to going to Scottsboro and said they had the original General Lee onboard. Talked 'em into opening the side door, couldn't see much more than the roof (as it was up front) but still made this southern rednecks heart flutter!

Bouganvillea
Bouganvillea 04/16/12 - 09:19 am
Soapy.. had no idea you were

Soapy.. had no idea you were such a "long time" resident. 8 decades..that's something. My 70 something father cannot even figure out how to turn on a computer and he thinks a laptop is some sort of TV dinner.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/16/12 - 09:20 am
smokeysbandit, just curious

smokeysbandit, just curious but do you drive too?

smokeysbandit
smokeysbandit 04/16/12 - 09:23 am
Roadkill...if you ever do

Roadkill...if you ever do decide to get your own GPS... get a Rand-McNally (truckers edition of course). It might show wrong side of street or miss by a couple street #s but pretty accurate otherwise.

Bouganvillea
Bouganvillea 04/16/12 - 09:25 am
And by the way, I have been

And by the way, I have been to Santa Barbara, CA. I can understand why someone from there would think parts of Augusta looks Third World.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/16/12 - 09:28 am
Company uses maptuit. The

Company uses maptuit. The best I can say for it is it sucks. Big, slow, and orange if you are curious. Team mate and I have gone back to Rand-McNalley and calling the customer for local directions. And many times come up with less miles than that dang GPS.

Bouganvillea
Bouganvillea 04/16/12 - 09:29 am
I agree Soapy.. I mean the

I agree Soapy.. I mean the Chronicle prints that crime map ever so often with the red dots.. and you notice how most of them are centered around Deans Bridge and Gordon Hwy, but I guess during Masters the city wants to pretend like there are no slum areas. I would think we would want to give visitors a heads of what areas to avoid.. pretty much anything south of Gordon Hwy.. except going to the airport and then advise visitors to take Bobby Jones and not get off anywhere south of Wrightsboro excapt for the airport exit.

smokeysbandit
smokeysbandit 04/16/12 - 09:32 am
Yep. You know me. We used to

Yep. You know me. We used to go to the same church. Matter of fact several years ago you let me help out a couple times when you did the remodeling( before you went back out on the road). I just about talked your ears off @ church (and Johnnys also) about driving a truck. Surprised y'all didn't backhand me to shut me up!

smokeysbandit
smokeysbandit 04/16/12 - 09:42 am
Gotta go now.No money if the

Gotta go now.No money if the wheels ain't turning. Y'all play nice now, ya hear??

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/16/12 - 09:50 am
RK, I've used Garmin for

RK, I've used Garmin for several years with excellent results. Not perfect mind you, but pretty darned reliable if you keep it updated with latest software. I'm sure you have to go to more remote and off the beaten path places, but I traveled quite a bit in Ga/Sc; and have used it in Dallas, Maine, New York and surrounding areas, Indiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, Florida, and other places I can't think of right now. Once in a great while it led me to a patch of woods that was supposed to be a restaurant, but all in all I trust it.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.