Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WHAT IS THE REASON for the decimation of trees along Bobby Jones Expressway? The result is ugly!

NO WONDER Augusta is such a messed-up place. Commissioner Alvin Mason, who was arrested for domestic violence, was recently at a local elementary school to mentor. Can’t we find a better role model?

PERSONNEL CUTS for the Richmond County school board but only for the lowest-paid people. What about the ones down in the central office who need a personal secretary?

THE GEORGIA SENATE passed a bill that claims to fix “ethics” in Georgia politics. Alas, they sneaked it through fast and quietly, a sure sign of something to watch out for.

HOW DOES AL SHARPTON call himself a pastor while calling for civil unrest. Doesn’t he know he will be held to a higher standard?

AT NO TIME HAS there been a mention of reduction of school board employees, neither in Richmond or Columbia County. By cutting some of the top positions, just possibly the budget could be balanced. There might even be money to buy school supplies for the students who never seem to have a pencil or paper.

A BIG RAVE TO the very nice lady from Thomson who paid for our supper at the Japanese restaurant several weeks ago. With all the bad news we keep hearing, it is wonderful to know that kindness is still in existence.

THE NEW organizational chart from Dr. Ricardo Azziz shows a “complex … hierarchy” and a “complex clinic admin.” That’s standard procedure for anybody wanting to keep folks confused while he grabs all the reins.

I’M SO PROUD to be a parent of a child who goes to Riverside Middle. It seems to me that every other middle school in Columbia County is in the paper for something these days. The teachers and staffers at Riverside take pride in their school and do their best to teach our children the importance of right and wrong. I’m proud to say I’m glad to be an Eagle.

WHEN GEORGE Zimmerman is exonerated, I hope he sues Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and the NAACP for defamation of character.

countyman
20581
countyman 04/13/12 - 11:13 pm
Why do people complain

Why do people complain without knowing all of the facts beforehand?? The $30 million project between Deans Bridge rd and Gordon Hwy is because of the continued and future growth of South Augusta, Hephzibah, Blythe, and Mcbean.. There's plenty of new neighborhoods/homes on Willis Foreman rd, inside of Diamond Lakes, off Brown rd, and on Old Waynesboro in South Augusta.. Growth is moving towards the city of Hephzibah(Highway 88 & the part of Brown rd inside of the city limits), Blythe, and Mcbean..

South Augusta(Peach Orchard rd/I-520 more than likely) will be the next area to have a Target shopping center...

As the economy continues to prove look for additional large employers to locate into the area, and waterfront developments to happen near the airport in South Augusta.

People who think Augusta is doing good because of the $172 million Starbucks development or the $115 million Rockwood plant.. They probably don't even realize the amount of projects in South Augusta alone before the recession($100 million Bottltek, 300 acre community on the riverfront)....

KSL
KSL 04/14/12 - 12:06 am
Countyman, why don't you just

Countyman, why don't you just keep quiet until things come to fruition? You are too much about what may come to be. You remind me of the boy who cried wolf. You brag about the coming. I have yet to see you speak of the going. To be believable you need to have balance.

I do appreciate your optimism. But to be believable, you do have to exhibit some sort of realism, which translates into not being so unrealistically optimistic. We almost bought a second home on the river years ago. Fortunately my husband was so much wiser about Augusta politics and where it was headed. I had high hopes, but they were dashed. We even stopped frequenting the on the river establishments.

countyman
20581
countyman 04/14/12 - 01:20 am
The Starbucks and Rockwood

The Starbucks and Rockwood plants both come to fruition this year(i.e break ground)... I'm positive South Augusta can expect to see Target and other large employers opening in the future... The Starbucks development(100 acres) is the first tenant in the Augusta Corporate Park, and will help attract additional employers.. The statements have nothing to do with being optimistic, but looking at what's happening in our area.. It's similar to me saying retailers not presently in the area(i.e Costco) will open at the VAR(Bebe could be one of them). Try putting the local politics aside for a moment, and focus solely on the new developments.. Renovated Miller theatre, Laney Walker/Bethlehem, Village at Riverwatch, ASU/GHSU riverfront campus, purchasing of the former Regal Village theatre in the Aug West Plaza, JB White condo expansion, Starbucks, Rockwood, Walmart on Wrightsboro rd, Walmart neighborhood market & other stores on 15th street, two new hotels in the Augusta Exchange area(Hilton & Marriott), 25 acre shopping center/10k sq. ft. Shoppes at Dyess Park on Jimmie Dyess, purchasing of Fort Discovery, JB Whites parking garage on Ellis, Sprint Food & Metro Market, 13 acre shopping center at Gordon Hwy/Robinson Avenue, 11 acre commercial use at 677 Robinson Avenue(Richmond-Columbia line) etc...

I've been saying expect to see the Wheeler Town Park development progress once the economy proves.. While Carmax is the only tenant both Gander Mountain and Northern Toole were opening before the recession. Now a developer will build upscale apartments on 13 acres near Carmax.. A mix-use development is the best way to go considering the proximity to Augusta mall, Augusta Exchange, and VAR.. The area can become very pedestrian friendly considering there's no major roads..

KSL
KSL 04/14/12 - 01:06 am
I still don't want to move to

I still don't want to move to downtown Augusta like I used to.

KSL
KSL 04/14/12 - 01:11 am
And I'm not about to go over

And I'm not about to go over from Aiken and walk the Riverwalk at10:00 or 11:00 like I used to. Augusta is going to suffer until the downtown is a safe place to be at night. No fears, no worries about being there. Aiken has a very safe and vibrant nightlife after the stores and businesses shut down. Augusta used to enjoy that.

countyman
20581
countyman 04/14/12 - 01:58 am
You don't think robberies or

You don't think robberies or crime happen in downtown Aiken?? I can think of several crimes, and we both know the media rarely reports crime outside of Richmond County. Ask any cop is the Riverwalk a dangerous area?? The Chronicle would definitely print a robbery on the Riverwalk, but it's very rare.. Ask anybody who actually lives in the CBD?? They will automatically tell you downtown Augusta is overall a safe place to live, work, and play.. The Rural Sourcing 100 IT jobs, purchasing of Fort Discovery, JB Whites condo expansion, Emporium, renovated Miller Theatre, JB Whites parking garage on Ellis, GHSU/ASU riverfront campus, Sprint Food & Metro Market, etc proves my point..

Neither Cal Ripken or Jim Jacoby wouldbe intrested in spending millions downtown unless it was moving forward.. Private investment tends to follow areas were the crime rate is lower and it's experiencing growth...

If you don't want to believe the people who actually live downtown then I don't know what else to say.. The ongoing and planned private growth in downtown Augusta can't be compared to Aiken... There's 17 acres at the GGHF property, and up to 500 people could be working at the Fort Discovery site.. By next April masters guest can visit Sprint Food & Metro Market at 851 Broad street. The development is right next to the common and includes open air seating, 1st floor urban market, restaurant/convenience store, and 2nd floor Sprint corporate offices/space for additional tenants... People soon forget if not for the recession the Watermark site(behind the depot) would have included condos, hotels, office space, and renovated the old depot.

KSL
KSL 04/14/12 - 01:56 am
Look, when I'm in downtown

And I'm very glad the Chronicle would report of a robbery on River Walk. I would definitely appreciate the Aiken Standard reporting a robbery on Laurens Street.

You sound so desperate to promote Augusta. Almost too desperate.

countyman
20581
countyman 04/14/12 - 02:06 am
Please bring up one recent

Please bring up one recent homicide downtown? I'm talking about the CBD(i.e the REAL downtown), and not Laney Walker, Bethlehem, etc..

My comments have nothing to do with promoting Augusta.. I've seen multiple people who actually live downtown clearly say it's overall safe on the Chronicle.. You start to sound quite desperate when you feel the need to attack every single comment.. Nobody mention anything about downtown Augusta, crime, politics, etc in my original post..

KSL
KSL 04/14/12 - 02:00 am
You are right. Augusta has a

You are right. Augusta has a lot of potential, which is why I did want to move there. But they blew it then. Who is to say they won't blow it again. Augusta needs to prove itself truly before they are really going to get the support they need. Otherwise, people investing there are going to lose their behinds just like so many have in the past.

Let me count the ways: Golf gardens, Fort Discovery, river front businesses, businesses on the main street, the values of the homes in the pink palace.

KSL
KSL 04/14/12 - 02:06 am
I'm not worried about

I'm not worried about homicide. I'm not walking Riverwalk at 11:00 like I used to. Do you? By the way, where did any discussion of homicide come up. You are so very defensive because you know some people would think of that.

You really need to change your approach to promoting downtown Augusta.

KSL
KSL 04/14/12 - 02:09 am
I'm not talking about Laney

I'm not talking about Laney Walker either. Don't know that I have ever been on that street.

Interesting you should bring up homicide fear and mention a street in Augusta. Can not bring to mind one in Aiken that has a relationship to homicides. Like I said, you need to address how you present the positive side of Augusta. You step on yourself more than you realize.

countyman
20581
countyman 04/14/12 - 02:35 am
I don't know why you think

I don't know why you think I'm promoting anything.. You're the person who obviously couldn't deal with my initial post and felt the need to respond..

''Look, when I'm in downtown Aiken at night as a visitor, I have no fear. It's very populated as far as night life and I can't think of one homicide reported in the last few years (like Augusta) if ever. ''

This is where the discussion of homicide came up.. This comment clearly sounds like you were trying to say homicides happen in downtown Augusta and not Aiken.. A total of ZERO homicides took place in the CBD in the year 2011... I mentioned nothing about homicide fear, but if a murder occured 'downtown' it didn't happen in the CBD.. Either Eastboundary, Turpin Hill, Bethlehem, Laney Walker, etc

Please ask any local cop? Roberries occuring at the Riverwalk are VERY rare...

Every single city in america had projects that didn't workout downtown.. The GGHF property never even became an actual hall fame... Fort Discovery lasted over ten years, and moved because of budget issues.. I love how you don't want to mention the building was recently purchased..

The most important thing is thousands of more people live in the CBD in 2012 compared to the year 2000..

Laney Walker is a historic neighborhood, and Laney Walker Boulevard is the 'actual' street.. I can think of neighborhoods in Aiken(i.e Hahn Village) were multiple homicides have occured.. Due to the Laney Walker/Bethlehem project the crime rate continues to drop and you can find nice areas throughout Laney Walker.. Do you really think the portion of Laney Walker in the Medical District deals with homicides??

raul
raul 04/14/12 - 08:11 am
@countyman/KSL. Dang, ya'll

@countyman/KSL. Dang, ya'll were up late!

Martinez
Martinez 04/14/12 - 08:27 am
Countyman - you should know

Countyman - you should know by now debating here is like kicking a dead horse. Often the same people who criticize you for posting about the positive future for Augusta are too busy themselves predicting every negative up to and including the end of the world if Obama is re-elected. I've seen your posts long enough to know your facts are pretty reliable and although I may not share your enthusiasm for all things, there is definitely work being done to better the area.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/14/12 - 08:36 am
Why were the golf statues

Why were the golf statues removed from the Riverwalk?

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 04/14/12 - 08:51 am
My expressed greetings and

My expressed greetings and salutations sciuridae-o-holics. As some of you may be aware, a fellow commenter and I exchanged some excitable banter on Saturday, April 7, 2012. I won’t mention this commenter’s name but, suffice to say, his modus-operandi is to post numerous one sentence comments (actually, they’re more like “random thoughts”) about five minutes apart. He wanted to start a “war of words” and I gladly obliged him. But, as all instigators do, eventually they will turn the tables on you to make it appear that you are the bad guy. Just as instigators like to do, they start things but don’t have the abilities to finish those things. I know you’ve all seen what I’m talking about. When you were a kid, there was always the smart-aleck that had the reputation as “the bully.” Well, that kid was “the bully” until somebody bigger kicked his rear-end. Well, that’s what I did that weekend. I kicked “the bully” in the hind-quarters and guess what? That’s right – he ran to his mommy – or, in this case, - he ran to his daddy – better known to you commenter’s as Sean Moore – you know – the guy that sends out those “abuse warnings.” Because he couldn’t keep pace and was getting his gluteus - maximus kicked, he ran to daddy and begged / cried / coerced / pleaded with daddy to fire off an “abuse warning” to the squirrel. In reality, an abuse warning to me means jack-squat. Do you remember what LeBron James said? He stated: “I’m taking my talents to South Beach.” Well, the squirrel says: “I’m taking my nuts elsewhere.” Numerous one sentence comments five minutes apart shows this persons inability to construct a well thought out, cohesive, and persuasive argument. If you read my posts, they are NEVER one sentence “random thoughts” five minutes apart. I have absolutely and unequivocally kicked tail on here via cognitive thought and writing style. For the time being, I might be gone, but rest assured, I will reappear. This is a fact – I WILL REAPPEAR BEFORE JESUS CHRIST DOES! As I compose this farewell address (for now), I simultaneously compose my magnum-opus which we’ll see if The Chronicle has the stones to print. And if they don’t print it, that’s ok, because if I have to, I will pay to have it printed in other local media (if you catch my drift!). So, the squirrel may reappear if his article gets printed. And if it is printed, my identity will be revealed in all its magnificent glory! Praise Darwin! Barring unforeseen circumstances, be looking for the squirrel to return around late July or August. My magnum-opus has been read in its early, unfinished, rough-draft form and the squirrel-o-holics say it’s most likely on the way to be my best work to date – even in its vastly incomplete state. Facts – check. Humorous – check. Deadly accurate – check. Point(s) well made – check. Ball busting – check. Oh yes, I can barely contain my schadenfreude.
You see, Ted Turner was two-thirds correct when he stated: “There are two types of people in this world. There are leaders and there are followers.” Actually, there are three kinds of people in this world – leaders, followers, and bananas. Bananas – huh? Yea, that’s right. Do you know what a banana is? I could explain it to you but, I will semi-help you out instead. Find a current Navy Seal or ex-Navy Seal and ask them what a banana is. I’m sure they’ll be glad to explain it to you – or if you’re lucky – they’ll actually take the time to show you or demonstrate to you what a banana is. Danger comes in two forms. If you’re in a 10 x 10 room with a poisonous snake, well, that’s dangerous. But, if you’re in a 10 x 10 room with a poisonous snake – and it’s a pitch black – and it’s an unlighted room, now that’s REALLY dangerous! Just for disclosure purposes…I have a very small electric bill and my habitrail has few lights. Do you want to be in there with me? So, I ask you, are you a leader, a follower, or a banana?
It’s almost a Hobson’s choice / Let’s Make A Deal scenario my friends. The squirrels know what group I’m in.
I encourage the squirrels to keep bringing the heat while I’m gone because as I have seen and experienced first hand – and you will too – what happens when you turn the heat up on fact-less opponents…they’ll run to Sean for an abuse warning. To the squirrel-o-holics I say: “Don’t ever let that glimmer of chatoyance fade from your beautiful eyes. Those of us with scientific fact, critical thought, and common sense will always have the naysayer’s fighting to achieve our level.” I quote Darrel Waltrip: “The cream always rises to the top!” Oooh, its getting hot in here – are you starting to sweat from the heat?
Go ahead and ask “that commenter” if he got an abuse warning from my side of the table. Heck, seeing how that’s a semi-rhetorical statement - I’ll answer it for him…NO! But hey, let the facts undergird this case. Go back to April 7 and count the “thumbs up” and “thumbs down” of the combatants. But to prevent the certain crash of this web-server or the internet, I’ll give you the results. These are those results: (Me: 4 up and 5 down = -1) and (The other guy: 4 up and 18 down = -14). This scientifically proves about me what Sally Fields said at the 1985 Academy Awards: “…and I can’t deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!” As I stated earlier, the squirrel can bring the heat AND take the heat where others can’t. It’s really sad. The pro-religious, bourgeois, antebellum Chronicle, uh, The Bible 2.0, lets “their boys” get away with acrimonious stuff that you or I would get chastised for…so be it. (Example: If you said “made-up” commenter “cranberryapplesauce18” has big ears, you would get an abuse warning. Yet, The Augusta Chronicle continually prints cartoon-like images of President Obama almost daily with gargantuan ears. As a matter of fact, check today’s newspaper. And just for the record, I’m not really that big a supporter of President Obama myself. Perhaps The Chronicle should look up the word “hypocrisy” in a dictionary.) If you peruse enough of these comments, it’s easy to see the Dunning-Kruger effect in action. But I digress.
This is pearlthesquirrel saying adios for now – or as my friends would call me – “Mr. Math”…”Mr. Darwin”…”Mr. Evolution”…”Mr. Eddie FanHalen”…”Mr. Alpha - male”…”Mr. Apex predator”…”Mr. Chevrolet”…”Mr. Einstein”…”Robin Banks”… or any of a thousand other nicknames. Just remember – you can call me anything you want; just don’t call me late for supper!
Oh yea, Rick Flair just called and he says: “Whooooooo”! See you in July (?) or August (?). As always – peace out!

P.S. Did I mention my latest business venture? I’m going to open a coast to coast chain of “half-way houses” for women that don’t enjoy going “all the way.” Come join me.
PEACE OUT – again!

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/14/12 - 10:43 am
"the continued and future

"the continued and future growth of South Augusta, Hephzibah, Blythe, and Mcbean."

Seems like I've heard that before. Isn't that the same story they told us about 12 years ago when they rezoned 7000 acres of vacant land south of Spirit Creek to Residential and raised our property taxes on land that is still vacant. Sure, they have built a few more house on Sergeants Major Row on Willis Foreman. They've even stuck a few double wides and pre-fabs up on the south end of Old Waynesboro. But the "explosion" of growth they used to raise our taxes and rezone our property has not happened and, in fact, the businesses and restaurants have closed and left in droves. And if anything much is happening in the south end of the county, which I have not seen if it really is, would be due to the Vogtle expansion. I certainly applaud the widening of Bobby Jones to the south side and the prospect of getting a Target and anything else. But we have certainly paid in advance for any improvement with 17 years of neglect by our "consolidated" government and 12 years of stolen property taxes where we paid in advance based on bogus predictions and promises that they had no intention of following up on. The prospect of getting a Target, and I say prospect because it ain't fact until it's built and open, is merely a baby step towards making progress towards turning South Augusta around and giving the south end taxpayers some return on their tax dollars. If the south side received the kind of attention that each and every "downtown" redevelopment and "Paul" project received we would not have been in decline for 17 years.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 04/14/12 - 11:58 am
KSL
KSL 04/14/12 - 12:09 pm
Martinez, his facts are

Martinez, his facts are reliable. He just glosses over the problems. And there are, indeed, huge problems. Now do his positives out weigh the negatives? You decide. I'm not about to move to Richmond County. Are you?

daphne3520
daphne3520 04/14/12 - 12:54 pm
WHO said Zimmerman will be

WHO said Zimmerman will be exonerated?

KSL
KSL 04/14/12 - 01:05 pm
Countyman is very touchy. He

Countyman is very touchy. He brought up homicides, not me. Not feeling safe involves more than fear for your life, county.

I didn't know the building was purchased recently and furthermore, that means nothing to me. Downtown Augusta is just not that attractive anymore to me. When it is, I will return. But just because you say it's going to be better in the future, it does not make it so now. Riverwalk is not the attractive place it used to be. The Golf Gardens are gone. And a number of my favorite places to eat are gone. It's just not worth the gas to go there since Aiken is so much improved over the last decades. Aiken is not a promise of being better. It already is better.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 04/14/12 - 01:59 pm
KSL - I believe it will be

KSL - I believe it will be best that you stay where you are - Aiken, S.C.

Pu239
Pu239 04/14/12 - 02:05 pm
I wonder how the I-520

I wonder how the I-520 widening will help the Hwy 25 area when the project ends at Deans Bridge Road...Last accounts I had all of the areas listed by Joe Isuzu are south of Deans Bridge...Water Front develpments in South Augusta near the airport........NOW THAT IS FUNNY....I don't care who you are!

countyman
20581
countyman 04/14/12 - 02:38 pm
Dichotomy.. I'll be happy to

Dichotomy.. I'll be happy to share with you the recent private investment in South Augusta($10 million plus algae facility, $55 million Auguta Tech, Sadie Landing subdivision near Pepperidge, US Battery expansion, Spring Creek Village subivision on Willis Foreman, new homes(Manchester, Walton Farms, Southhampton, Lakes at Spirit Creek, etc), Longpoint townhomes on Old Waynesboro rd near Cross Creek, Hampton Inn hotel on Gordon Hwy near Raceway, renovated Taco Bell on Peach Orchard, Bilo renovations at Peach Orchard & Tobacco rd, etc...

The future Target shopping center should have Ruby Tuesday and Chick Fil A... Denny's is suppose to be opening an 24 hr restaurant on Peach Orchard... People have to understand Target is more strict compared to Walmart for example... West Augusta, Aiken, and Evans are the only locations in the CSRA...

KSL... You were the first person to mention the word 'homicide' in the 1:56 am comment.. I don't know why you think I'm quote 'touchy', and you were the one who felt the need to respond to my original comment.. Augusta is already doing better compared to previous years.. The 115 arce Village at Riverwatch, $172 million Starbucks, $115 million Rockwood Plant, one of the fastest growing airports in the entire US(recently announced direct flights to DC), first Walmart neighborhood market in the state of GA, etc.. Why else does Augusta have to prove??

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/14/12 - 02:53 pm
She thinks you're touchy

She thinks you're touchy because you ARE touchy. I agree with KSL. I would have to be out of my mind to walk ANYWHERE in Augusta-Richmond County after dark by myself, and if I had to, I'd be sure to carry a weapon for self-defense.

countyman
20581
countyman 04/14/12 - 03:34 pm
AutumnLeaves... I'm touchy

AutumnLeaves... I'm touchy but when other people share comments I don't rush to respond with something negative.. The same few people on here always have to respond because I don't share their negative views of everything dealing with Augusta.. I hardly ever respond back unless my name is mentioned..

You wouldn't walk in the neighborhoods on Jimmie Dyess, Alexander rd, Stevens Creek, Furys Ferry, etc at night by yourself?? I notice the most expenisve areas of Martinez in Columbia County are located right next to this part of West Augusta... I guess you wouldn't walk alone in those areas of CC either at night... I'm also wondering if everywhere becomes dangerous at night, then why is the portion of Martinez(Stevens Creek, Furys Ferry)closer to Richmond County richer than Old Evans rd, Blue Ridge Drive, etc which is actually closer to Evans..

Why would anybody be afraid to walk alone at the Augusta Exchange for example?

Who would you be afraid to walk alone near ADP and Parc at Flowing Wells?

Why would you be cautious of walking alone near Confier Place, Lake Aumond, etc at night??

If you're scared to walk alone in these areas if has nothing to do with crime, but your personal opinions...

The area around the Village at Riverwatch becomes so scary at night lol...

iLove
iLove 04/14/12 - 03:31 pm
Autumn - You must not live in

Autumn - You must not live in Augusta, Ga do you?

Trouble
Trouble 04/14/12 - 03:38 pm
i have walked many places in

i have walked many places in augusta/richmond county by myself at night and unarmed, i have never felt threatened. it is called common sense, most of augusta richmond county is safe to walk at night, but there are areas of town that you dont go at night by yourself (or during the day for that matter) but then again, most towns have that problem.

Abbynoll
Abbynoll 04/14/12 - 03:53 pm
countyman "Ask any cop is the

countyman "Ask any cop is the Riverwalk a dangerous area??"

They will tell you YES! Only a fool would go there after dark and think it was safe.

countyman
20581
countyman 04/14/12 - 06:24 pm
Once again the people who

Once again the people who claim downtown isn't safe or the Riverwalk live several miles away from downtown.. NOBODY who actually lives in the CBD makes the same claim though.

Abbynoll... I know a few cops in RC, and please stop now... I notice there are ALOT of fools who show up for the Sunday Jazz series.. Maybe you should drive from Aiken County and see for yourself oneday??

Where is all of this crime on the Riverwalk then? How come WRDW, Augusta Chronicle, WJBF, WAGT, etc haven't reported it?? Please I would like to hear about all of this crime.. Finding articles should be easy since its quote 'dangerous'..

Dangerous places don't attract private investment.. Dr. Azziz continues to tell people the riverfront campus will be the gem of the university... Why would he put the gem of the university would be located near a dangerous place? The Watermark site included condos, hilton hotels, office space, and the renovated train depot. A developer recently spent millions purchasing the former Fort Discovery property..

I think we need to hold a press conference in Augusta for cities around the country.. Since Augusta is the only city in america were private investments flocks to dangerous places lol..