Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A BIG RAVE FOR people that helped South Ha­ven Baptist Church secure the necessary funds for the children’s playground equipment after the $1,200 in coins was stolen from them in December. The photo of them with their new playground was awesome.

I CANNOT UNDERSTAND a parent who keeps loaded weapons where kids can get to them and play with them as if they are harmless toys. Perhaps these parents never read of the tragedies of young kids being killed.

RAVE TO SCOTT PEEBLES for being experienced (see Operations Augusta Ink, Fox Hunt and Smoke Screen) and for not serving a small group in this county but rather working for the entirety of Augusta-Richmond County.

THE MORTGAGE BAILOUT is unfair. I worked two jobs most of my life, drove used cars, no cell phone or other electronic gadgets, very few vacations and no eating out. I have almost paid off my mortgage. I also lost several thousand dollars on my 401(k), which I would love for Obama to help build back up. I suspect I’m in a different class to qualify for his Robin Hood handouts, though.

A CALIFORNIA COP arrested a man for reading the Bible on public property. If that’s not attacking the constitutional guarantee of freedom of religion, what is? Somebody needs to arrest that cop and everybody involved in writing such an anti-Christian law.

A BIG RAVE to a good Samaritan. I saw you stopping on I-20 eastbound to help a lost dog Wednesday afternoon. You stopped on a busy highway to help this dog. You truly are a good Samaritan. This world needs more of you in it.

THE ONLY WAY to lower fuel costs is to end oil speculation and force all energy companies off the Wall Street trading floor.

PERHAPS GHSU SHOULD consider changing its initials to GHSE – Get Help Somewhere Else! It would be a fitting change considering the way a recent elderly relative of mine was treated.

EyeMaeNo
EyeMaeNo 04/10/12 - 09:31 pm
SMHID

SMHID

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/11/12 - 03:57 am
Good Mourning Awguster,

Good Mourning Awguster, Trouble, seenit, Abby, and the rest of the bunch.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/11/12 - 04:00 am
How about teach children gun

How about teach children gun safety, as in do not touch. My oldest is 33 now. None of the 4 ever touched any of my weapons without permission. They were trained that way.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/11/12 - 04:01 am
THE MORTGAGE BAILOUT is

THE MORTGAGE BAILOUT is unfair... Yep you are in a different class to get any help. You work and pay taxes.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/11/12 - 04:20 am
THE ONLY WAY to lower fuel

THE ONLY WAY to lower fuel costs...

How about opening new drilling sites and building more refineries? I forgot, if we did that it would be 10 years before it has an effect on the prices. But again I ask, why didn't we do this 10 years ago?

Why did the Emperor stop the pipeline? Which would have brought more oil into the US. Instead it's going to China.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/11/12 - 04:18 am
Welll.......good am RKill &

Welll.......good am RKill & all the others crawling out of bed.......
nice & cool--brisk---just right for cuddling this am....but my cuddler is in the mountains.....even my wrinkled pup is with him....

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/11/12 - 04:30 am
Question to AC...... How many

Question to AC......

How many times are you going to promote a certain guy for a certain office????

You make me laugh sometimes....who says the news is impartial...

Fair & balanced ...my behind.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/11/12 - 04:33 am
I'm not crawling out of bed,

I'm not crawling out of bed, getting ready to crawl in bed. Keep 'em in line today seenit, Sean needs a break. Morning Sean.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/11/12 - 04:36 am
No can do RK....someone else

No can do RK....someone else will have to keep them in line.......I'm burnt out on here....just came on to say hello to ya....

The news is depressing me now.....don't like the candidates we have for Pres.----don't like the tv programs ----sick of gas prices---I could go on BUT hey ya know whatta mean...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/11/12 - 04:40 am
Also...that case in Florida

Also...that case in Florida is making me upchuck now......how many deaths have we had since that....& no one gives a rats behind!!!

even right there in the CSRA......the world has gone CRAZY!! imho

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/11/12 - 04:53 am

A computer you can wear.....geez....we will be a nerd all day---everyday....wish I knew as much as my nerd-puter fixer knows....

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/11/12 - 04:56 am
An tsunami watch was issued

An tsunami watch was issued for countries across the Indian Ocean on Wednesday after a large earthquake hit waters off Indonesia, sending residents pouring from their homes in panic.

Here we go again......bye bye for now...

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/11/12 - 05:03 am
Good Morning America, B4, RK

Good Morning America, B4, RK and all.

My predictions for the day.

The Maya predicted the end of everything on 12/21/12 at 11:11 p.m. Universal Time.

I predict the end of everything on 11/06/12 at 7:00 EST.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/11/12 - 05:52 am
2. If you come visit with

2. If you come visit with your children, I will guarantee you that my 4 loaded weapons will be out of reach and secured.

5. He would not have been arrested if he was reading the Qur'an.

6. Have to ask a question, What is more valuable, you or other humans or a poor lost dog? Chasing a dog on I-20, in my book is a lack of common sense. Yes, I do love dogs...

Techfan
Techfan 04/11/12 - 07:03 am
They would have been arrested

They would have been arrested if they were reading Dr Seuss. They were on government property reading LOUDLY, forcing everyone else to listen. They were asked to move and refused. I'm sure those that support them would be happy to wait in line at the DMV and have someone yell at them that aliens are real, and that he'd been abducted and probed on the alien mothership and refuse to move or stop.

Retired Army
Retired Army 04/11/12 - 07:45 am
Tech, somehow I knew there

Tech, somehow I knew there was more to that non news story than the writer put out.

Loved this study and it amplifies what we can see in the "Comical" everyday.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 04/11/12 - 08:14 am
Rant 4: Dead on.....spot

Rant 4:
Dead on.....spot on.....100% accurate.....unequivocally hits the nail on the head.....fact-based truth.....geez, did I compose that rant? No, I didn't but, nice one my man, nice one!
"If a man kills one person, he's a murderer. If a man kills millions he's a conqueror." One man - one vote.......someday, and I hope it's sooner than later, "We, the people" will wake up and smell the coffee. Unfortunately, I think the 99% are having olfactory problems. There's always strength in numbers!
But the good news is this: Between this guy and myself, there's at least two people in the CSRA that can bring the truth and bring the heat.
Nice one my man, nice one - hit us with another one!

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/11/12 - 08:29 am
LOL @ RA's "survey". Hey,

LOL @ RA's "survey". Hey, whatever gets you through the day. If you bother to click on the link (remember, you can't get your time back)be sure you read the reader responses at the bottom.

kmb413
kmb413 04/11/12 - 08:22 am
The DMV was closed at the

The DMV was closed at the time.

LLArms
LLArms 04/11/12 - 08:50 am
"I CANNOT UNDERSTAND a parent

"I CANNOT UNDERSTAND a parent who keeps loaded weapons where kids can get to them and play with them as if they are harmless toys. Perhaps these parents never read of the tragedies of young kids being killed"

The problem is not the gun, its the parents lack of education to the child on what the gun is and what it is capable of. How many news stories have we read now where the parent was being assaulted and their child save them by using the family firearm?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/11/12 - 08:43 am
Yea, JTF; you can make a real

Yea, JTF; you can make a real good case with that study that conservatives don't need to "feel" their way through issues, they apply logic, so have a quicker answer. As to income/education, look no further than the political demographics of the entitlement crowd.

Retired Army
Retired Army 04/11/12 - 09:32 am
Funny, JTF encourages folks

Funny, JTF encourages folks to not read the article because it would cost them time. Sorta re enforces the argument that conservative thinkers tend to be lazy thinkers or at the very least to not bother with facts. They seem to get in the way of conservative feelings.

BTW JTF this was a study, not a survey. There is a difference ya know.

happychimer
19384
happychimer 04/11/12 - 09:41 am
I have never kept my gun

LLArms
LLArms 04/11/12 - 10:16 am
"I have never kept my gun

"I have never kept my gun around kids, and I won't start now.These days you can't even trust your kids will be safe at their friends' houses, unless you really know the parents. They could have guns lying around, and somebody could get shot."

If you properly educate your children on your guns then they will know not to be around or touch guns at other peoples houses. The science is simple. When you were a kid and something was labeled as "forbidden" what were you going to do as a kid?

Do you hide your car keys? Do you lock up the beer with a padlock? How about your riding mower? How about your deep fryer full of oil?

The word "gun" makes everyone go bonkers. Its a tool. An inanimate object capable of killing the same as a knife, a car, a hot vat of oil, a lawn mower, a chainsaw.

LLArms
LLArms 04/11/12 - 10:18 am
For clarification, I lock up

For clarification, I lock up my stuff when OTHER peoples kids come around. I can only be responsible for my own daughters level of intel - not other peoples kids (who usually really on the government, aka public school to attempt to do their job for them)

happychimer
19384
happychimer 04/11/12 - 10:28 am
Arms I am not responsible for

Arms I am not responsible for other kids.My grown kids keep guns away from their kids. If my grandkids go to a friend's house, the kids living there might not be trained to keep their hands off of guns. Kids are curious and might play with a gun and not realize the danger. It's a chance I would not want to take.

LLArms
LLArms 04/11/12 - 10:37 am
I agree, that was my point.

I agree, that was my point. Which I made a follow up post clarifying, sorry about that. I educate and trust my own kid, I DO NOT trust other kids.

I'm just wanting to re-enforce that parents should be teaching their own kids about guns in the home, even how to operate them, and make sure they understand the implications of what they can do. Heres my suggestion to all parents. Ask your young child what they think the strongest thing they can find is. Most times the answer will be "a rock" or maybe "this plank of wood". Anything will work. You need them to think on THEIR level.

Now take said item with you to the local range (or woods if you are outside the city) and shoot the item they picked. Once they see the object get destroyed by the gun this will etch in their brain what a gun is capable of and make them respect it more.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: My personal favorite is a cinder block. You tell the child to try and pick it up. They will quickly acknowledge its weight and strength. Then proceed as above.

rwarmy
rwarmy 04/11/12 - 11:50 am
Hopefully, local Dental

Hopefully, local Dental Offices will cut back on their abusive use of excessive X-rays simply to raise revenue in light of recent medical revelations that these are harmful to patients. Most Dental Offices require X-rays simply to add charges to patients bills when these are not requested by the patient or even necessary in most cases. An example is a routine dental teeth cleaning; its a "scam".

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/11/12 - 12:24 pm
RA, you can call it a

RA, you can call it a "study". Makes it sound more scientific. However, asking drunk people questions in a bar sounds like a "survey" to me.

Trouble
Trouble 04/11/12 - 03:25 pm
jtf, how could you possibly

jtf, how could you possibly question a story from such a highly respected and above reproach news source as the huffington post?.........

Storm brings heavy rain, property damage reported

The National Weather Service in Columbia says the threat of severe weather has left the Augusta area, but not before leaving behind some property damage Sunday.