Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

KUDOS To THE Knob Hill resident sick of the constant barking dogs on Knob Hill Circle. Can’t agree with you more. Start calling the police. It’s the only way to stop our inconsiderate neighbors.

YOU CAN’T BLAME Obama for high gas prices. The real blame should be shared by the American public who still drive 15 mpg SUVS and 12 or less mpg trucks and the oil speculators for their Wall Street greed.

OBAMA PICKED UNC to win the NCAA tournament. Finally, something he and I agree on.

REAGAN DIDN’T FILL out NCAA tournament brackets. He was too busy running the country.

RANT FOR Eric Hol­der, the most corrupt attorney general since Nixon’s Attorney General John Mitchell. He dismissed the case against the Black Panthers who were on video intimidating voters with weapons at a Philadelphia voting station, yet he has now blocked South Carolina and Texas voter ID laws. I guess this is the way politics is done in Chicago and Illinois. He should join the last two Illinois governors in jail.

RANT FOR THE picture on the front of the March 15 Metro section. For such experienced bike riders, it seems they would know how to legally ride on our roads. Not only were they not riding single file, but two or three abreast blocking the entire lane. I think this plainly illustrates drivers’ frustrations with bicycle riders and their complete ignorance of the rules of the road.

AH, SPRINGTIME in Augusta, when everyone drives a yellow/green(ish) car.

BIG RANT TO Aquinas High for putting on Sweeney Todd, a play featuring a murderous man who bakes his victims into pies. This type of play is inappropriate.

WILL THE DRIVERS in Knob Hill subdivision please slow down! There are children out playing and riding bikes.

RAVES TO MR. FRANK, the assistant manager at the Harlem IGA store. What a kind, caring person he is.

GOODBYE, NEIGHBORS. Now that we are moving out of your upscale neighborhood, maybe you will like whoever moves into our house much better. But possibly not; you never know who will be moving in. Be friendly to them and wave and don’t put your noses in the air.

Trouble
Trouble 03/24/12 - 01:47 am
morning all, turning on the

morning all, turning on the lights, but not much to see.........

Trouble
Trouble 03/24/12 - 01:49 am
yall have a good day, i am

yall have a good day, i am headed to work, then i am going to let rk take me camping..........

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/24/12 - 01:52 am
Give me the money to buy an

Give me the money to buy an economical car and I will quit driving my 12 mpg truck. Some of us are forced to drive what we have. Now, if the government would quit wasting my tax money on "green energy", think Solyndra, money to foreign car companies, then maybe I could keep enough of the money I earned to buy a new car.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/24/12 - 02:02 am
Good morning Awguster.

Good morning Awguster. Today's best advice... don't sleep ON the 5th Street bridge.

Mornin' Trouble, seenit, wb.......................

copperhead
copperhead 03/24/12 - 06:51 am
No,it is not "energy prices

No,it is not "energy prices will skyrocket under my administration"hussein's doings nor is it"gas prices should be at european levels"chu's doings. It has to be these lazy American's fault for needing personal transportation. They should either move closer to work(to pay taxes so the muslim brotherhood can get U.S.aid) or buy a volt and stock in algae fuel futures.

etlinks
20295
etlinks 03/24/12 - 06:54 am
A rave for Park Ave. at

A rave for Park Ave. at Forest Hills what a beautiful street.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/24/12 - 06:57 am
"YOU CAN’T BLAME Obama for

"YOU CAN’T BLAME Obama for high gas prices."

We certainly can blame Obama for gas prices higher than they would be if it wasn't for his anti-energy policies. Every gas station in America should put a picture of Obama's smiling face on their pumps with his finger pointing to the prices. We can blame Obama for no new permits for drilling on federal lands. We can blame Obama and the Democrats for no drilling in ANWR. We can blame Obama and the Democrats for no Canadian pipeline. We can blame Obama and the Democrats for anti-coal policy and resulting higher electricity rates. We can blame Obama and the Democrats for higher grocery prices driven by the cost of fuel to produce and deliver them to market. We can blame Obama and the Democrats for deficit spending and monetary policy which is causing the value of the dollar to plummet and thereby driving the cost of oil to Americans even higher.

And we are tired of the same old argument that "even if we drilled it would take 5 (general consensus) years to see results". If we had started drilling 3 years ago we would start seeing that oil come on line pretty soon.

As for driving my truck or SUV (both of which get 18 to 20 mpg), I can't pull my boat or a camper with an anemic 4 cylinder vehicle or something powered by an Obama Solyndra Solar Panel and a couple of AA batteries. And I am not riding around in a $40K Chevy Volt or similar vehicle whose batteries catch on fire, the charging cord melts, and will only go 26 miles on those overpriced batteries and whose drive train is barely strong enough to pull two people and a bag of groceries home.

Maybe you are willing to have what you drive dictated to you by political ideology but I am not. And I am not willing to support a president who does everything he can to make gasoline and diesel fuel more expensive. I am not going to give up my truck, I am not going to give up my boat, and I am not going to give up my camper. But I am going to give up Obama and every other Democrat I can help put out of office.

copperhead
copperhead 03/24/12 - 07:12 am
BRAVO DICHOTOMY!

BRAVO DICHOTOMY!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/24/12 - 07:39 am
Good Morning America and

Good Morning America and Dichotomy & copper.

That's what I like to hear first thing in the morning....Truth and Freedom of Speach.

etlinks
20295
etlinks 03/24/12 - 07:40 am
I guess seenitb4 is correct,

I guess seenitb4 is correct, without her comments this thread is dead so why so many complaints? Can I get a thumbs down, thank you.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 03/24/12 - 07:51 am
RANT #2. We agree and

RANT #2. We agree and disagree. "......oil speculators for their Wall Street greed." - AGREED.
People driving 10, 12, or 15 mpg vehicles - DISAGREE.
I hear that argument eveyday and let me tell you where you are wrong. It's not the m.p.g. that's killing us, it's the total miles of driving we goofballs do every year. Let me explain.
Let's say you have a car that gets 25 m.p.g. and you drive 15,000 miles. You will use 600 gallons of gas. Let's say you have a gas-guzzler that gets 5 m.p.g. and you drive 2,500 miles a year. You only use 500 gallons of gas. So, Mr. 25 m.p.g. is the problem - NOT Mr. 5 m.p.g. Everybody I know makes this general argument and therefore they miss the point. IT'S NOT HOW MANY M.P.G. YOU GET, IT'S HOW MUCH YOU DRIVE.
If you want 99-cent gas, let me tell you how to get it. QUIT DRIVING AND PUTTING UP SUCH VOLUMINOUS MILEAGE RECORDS. It's called "supply and demand." Once people start drastically curtailing the amount of miles they drive, gas prices will drop.
And speaking for my argument, I have a nice, old, Chevy small-block that gets about 10 m.p.g. Last year I drove it less than 700 miles thus proving the point that I'm NOT the problem.
QUIT DRIVING SO MUCH !!!!!!!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/24/12 - 08:37 am
Copper, It was outstanding

Copper, It was outstanding all the response you received on your question about the 1.5 M given to our enemy by the Muslim loving King.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/24/12 - 07:58 am
pts..Your right, lets just

pts..Your right, lets just kill the freedom of enjoyment we Americans should have. My grandchildren don't need to see any of the things of beauty the America has to show. Let them stay home and watch TV.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/24/12 - 08:18 am
dichotomy, once again you are

dichotomy, once again you are spot on. Keep up the good work.

pearl, I had to do a little math when I saw your post. Based on your figures that would be 2.6 miles per day just getting to and from work. How many people do your know that live 1.3 miles from their work place? That does not include grocery trips, trip to the doctor, trips to see friends or family....... Just be real when you start throwing around numbers. Some of us are just curious enough to do a little math.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/24/12 - 08:19 am
Morning CG, is Sarge still

Morning CG, is Sarge still getting a little better each day?

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/24/12 - 08:23 am
Hey folks. My yard is full of

Hey folks. My yard is full of blooming cherry trees and dogwoods. A few weeks of the year they are something.

Abbynoll
Abbynoll 03/24/12 - 08:32 am
Mornin RK, CG and all the

Mornin RK, CG and all the rest.

Not everyone can live that close to work or be a hermit. Also, what about a 2nd vehicle. I find it hard to believe that someone only drives a total of 700 miles in an entire year. Of course, I have this crazy habit of wanting to go visit family and friends... and that's usually 1000+ miles. Oh well, I pay the price cause they're worth it.

Speaking of paying, had to fire up my gas guzzling SUV and head to work this morning... I wasn't happy about having to do that. Perhaps when my rich uncle gets out of the poor house I won't have to anymore. ha.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/24/12 - 08:36 am
{{RK}}He is still having

{{RK}}He is still having extreme nausea problems, They checked yesterday to see if anything has spread to his stomach, no results yet. Dr's are saying it my be in his Gall Badder. His pain in the lower body is gone. I feel he isn't improving but he is still positive about it all. That's Jim. Keeps saying he misses you all and wish he could still be posting.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/24/12 - 08:43 am
Since so many people want to

Since so many people want to turn the Trayvon Martin killing into a racial issue, lets call a spade a spade. The shooter was HISPANIC, not caucasion. Just another reason to close the borders NOW.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/24/12 - 08:54 am
Just a reminder about race.

Just a reminder about race. HISPANIC is not a race, but rather an indication of location. Hispanics come from the region generally known as Hispaniola. There are white (Caucasion) hispanics. There are black (Negro) hispanics. There are oriental (Mongolian) hispanics. There are American Indian hispanics. There are mixed-race hispanics.

The evidence is pretty convincing that the 16-year-old was beating up on Zimmerman. Zimmerman appears to have been acting lawfully.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/24/12 - 08:55 am
Wouldn't it be hell if we

Wouldn't it be hell if we whites were to act the same way whenever a
Black killed a white?

{{Abby}}

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/24/12 - 08:58 am
Wow — three rants about one

Wow — three rants about one subdivision, Knob Hill. The barking dogs, the speeding cars, and the disappointed resident who is moving away. What a coincidence.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/24/12 - 08:58 am
LL, I'm sure you will receive

LL, I'm sure you will receive some Flak on that one from some!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/24/12 - 09:01 am
LL, it isn't a coincidence,

LL, it isn't a coincidence, it is just some have developed a Common Sense mentality.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 03/24/12 - 09:03 am
Do you smell what I smell?

Do you smell what I smell? Can't you smell it? What is that smell? Is it Old Spice? No. Is it Brut? No. Is it Drakk Noir? No. It's the smell of "I Don't Believe You".....the new fragrance from the CSRA. Let's set the record straight. These are my mileage records from my small-block V-8.
2011 - 665
2010 - 841
2009 - 832
2008 - 1287
2007 - 1598
2006 - 2895
2005 - 3504
2004 - 3571
2003 - 2198.
As I always say: "The burden of proof rests with the claimant." And I'm the claimant in this case. So, let's do this. $10,000 certified checks put into neutral, third-party hands and I'll prove my mileage records. Any takers? I didn't think so.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/24/12 - 09:12 am
pts, so, just what is the

pts, so, just what is the point your trying to make? I have a dump truck that gets 5 miles to the gallon and has been only driven 211 miles in 7 years..........

Abbynoll
Abbynoll 03/24/12 - 09:40 am
oh yeah, wasn't ignorin ya

oh yeah, wasn't ignorin ya ((((CG))))

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/24/12 - 09:41 am
pearl, once again you have

pearl, once again you have missed the point. Very few people live 1.3 miles from home and can drive that few miles. If you wanna compare apples to apples I have a 1967 Coronet 440 that gets driven less than a couple of hundred miles a year. Yes, that 440 will pass anything but a gas pump. But it is a classic auto which I don't want to drive much. It is garaged in NC and my brother drives it about 10 miles each month just to keep every thing lubed. I'll take a dollar bet that that is about the same issue with your small block.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/24/12 - 09:44 am
Oh, that smell??? Probably

Oh, that smell??? Probably something illegal. Put it down and face the real world.

allhans
allhans 03/24/12 - 09:55 am
A family member just drove

A family member just drove one from NC to GA..to be garaged. I won't dare to say how much in fuel costs. (But it is a fine looking vehicle).