Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

LET’S WORK UNDER the table and get paid cash, live on public assistance and food stamps, have children but tell the social worker you have no idea who the fathers are. Then receive child support, have a car and go to Disney for a week. It sounds pretty good to me. When are the working people of America going to get fed up?

THE FREE contraception program for women can only lead to promiscuity and eventually more disease – including AIDS. Which irresponsible person came up with this program and then labeled it a “women’s health issue”?

CONCERNING THOSE who do not want a Walmart near the downtown area: We all don’t have cars or have time to take the bus ride for a day and a half to Deans Bridge Road. Be kind. Let us enjoy a Walmart, too. Those in my neighborhood who can drive are going over to North Augusta, anyway. The medical college wants to take our streets and would like us to have nowhere to shop.

SHAME ON RUSH Lim­baugh and the people who judge women taking contraceptives. There are medical reasons of a nonsexual nature for taking the pills. I don’t see a huge number of people rushing to take care of or even adopt the unwanted kids in American orphanages or foster homes. No, people fight to get ahold of kids in foreign countries. For those who are anti-abortion, you should be in favor of contraceptives to stop the kids from being produced.

ALL YOU CAT lovers: Keep your cat in your yard.

THANKS FOR THE old Augusta pictures; we enjoy looking at them. Please continue to post them; include Thomson, Waynesboro and Columbia County.

A RAVE TO Erick Montgomery, of Historic Augusta, and Dottie Demarest, of the Augusta-Richmond County Public Library, for offering a walking tour of Telfair and Greene.

MICHELLE MALKIN DOES not have a one-track mind, as a contributor stated. Finding something negative about President Obama is like eating at a mega-buffet – so much to choose from.

THE ONLY REASON the Democrats and the NAACP do not want the new voter ID laws is simple: One person can cast only one vote, not several votes in different states.

Martinez
Martinez 03/20/12 - 09:24 pm
# 2 - Lead to promiscuity and

# 2 - Lead to promiscuity and eventually more disease – including AIDS. Seriously? So is this to say that not making contraceptives available will eliminate these issues? Making them available is no more causing promiscuity then liquor stores cause alcoholism. There are plenty of people who use oral contraceptives to treat medical ailments. Just as there are committed married couples who use contraceptives to delay having children until they are ready, whether emotionally, financially etc, to have children. Contraception is not synonymous with pre-marital sex. Sure, there are some people who choose that route but that choice is not ours to judge. Contraceptives aren't new. Just as free contraceptives aren't new either. The issue, in my opinion, is that employers shouldn't be allowed to dictate my personal health care. If a Christian University can exclude contraceptives, who will stop other employers from also choosing to exclude certain services. Health care decisions should be a private discussion between an individual and their doctor, not their employer and insurance company.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/21/12 - 12:58 am
OK, I got the light this

OK, I got the light this morning.

Good Mourning Awguster, Trouble, Willow, and our favorite Atlanta suburbanite.

Trouble
Trouble 03/21/12 - 01:39 am
morning all, and rk and

morning all, and rk and seenit.

rk, you hit the flood lights too, could you turn that one off, it makes my head hurt this early.

seenitB4 03/21/12 - 04:13 am
Hi RK & trouble...thanks for

Hi RK & trouble...thanks for turning the lights on...but that floodlight...wow...but some need more lights than others ...

Well my geek came over...did his magic ...had everything running back to normal....& just as soon as he pulled out of the driveway this theeeng
went right back to WHAT HE WANTED TO DO....I am not kidding here....it is a he because he is sooo sneaky about stuff!!!

I don't know what I did to tick him off but I'm going to change my tactic with him.......let him play his music all day....talk really sexy & loving to him--rub my fingers all over the keys in a loving way....so I'll let you know if any worked later today....

Good am CSRA!

seenitB4 03/21/12 - 04:44 am
Wandering Mind.....well this

Wandering Mind.....well this is good to know because my mind WANDERS
all the time....sometimes it even leaves the USA....

A study in the journal Psychological Science shows that people whose minds wander during simple tasks may actually have a higher capacity for working memory. Working memory is what enables us to think about multiple things at once, and has been linked with intelligence (such as IQ score and reading comprehension).

That may be because "people who have additional working memory resources deploy them to think about things other than what they're doing," study researcher Jonathan Smallwood, of the Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Science, said in a statement.

For the study, researchers had study participants do one of two tasks. One task was to press a button when they saw a certain letter come across a screen. The second task was to tap in sync with their own breathing. The researchers checked in from time to time with the study participants as they completed the two tasks, in order to see if their minds were wandering.

Riverman1 03/21/12 - 04:46 am
Good morning RK, Trouble,

Good morning RK, Trouble, SeenIt and all the wandering minds making me wonder.

seenitB4 03/21/12 - 04:50 am

Yeh baby....wonder & wander...I will too!

seenitB4 03/21/12 - 04:51 am
Some need to!

Some need to!

Riverman1 03/21/12 - 05:01 am
Webb Pierce is one of those

Webb Pierce is one of those old timers with that sound who make me think about the origins of country music. Supposedly, it was passed down from Scottish people whose ballads had that sound. But I asked my Uncle Mervin about it because he could play the banjo and sing a little. He said he didn't know anything about Scotland, but he knew the boys over at Hell Hole Swamp, South Carolina played pretty good.

seenitB4 03/21/12 - 05:12 am

Ole country boy was clever ...he bought tickets for some young girls to sit in the front row & beg/scream for more.....that excited the crowd & they wanted more too....amazing isn't it....hey i bet that would work on here too....I might pay for some guys to post on here & all they have to do is make me look GOOD--SMART ...yeh..that will work.......I don't know how much begging I want them to do yet though...but some I'm sure....:)

Riverman1 03/21/12 - 05:22 am
Ole Uncle Mervin...I've told

Ole Uncle Mervin...I've told this before, but it's worth saying again. He was the most religious person I've ever known, but he loved to drink. He also had the shakes really bad most of the time unless he was drinking. His nickname that some called him was Shakey.

But Uncle Mervin got up early Sunday morning no matter how drunk he had gotten Saturday night and sang along with the old Gospel music that used to come on TV on Sunday mornings and went on for hours. The antenna on top of the house could pick up Columbia with just a little snow in the picture.

The names of the shows were usually some family. You know the Jones Family Show and so on. They would proudly show moving pictures of the little van with their name painted on the sides they toured South Carolina and Georgia in. They would also bring the little babies on the television and show them off when they weren't singing The Old Rugged Cross.

Uncle Mervin drank a six-pack of 16 oz Old Milwaukee and smoked a pack of Camel cigarettes watching the Sunday shows with tears streaming down his face. He also sang along and it got louder for some songs.

He was kind of a role figure for me because my daddy was laid up with the liquor most of the time. He gave me lots of good advice and my first beer and cigarette when I was about 12.

Riverman1 03/21/12 - 05:16 am
SeenIt, in the old country

SeenIt, in the old country music TV shows, the audience didn't look that handsome. Now days in these videos they clean-up the audience and bring in some Yankee models to make like they are having a good time.

seenitB4 03/21/12 - 05:21 am
We don't need no dim yankee

We don't need no dim yankee models to make us look good rm.....once we git our teeth in--face washed with lye soap...& our bloomers on ..we looks good enough!!

Riverman1 03/21/12 - 05:24 am
Hey, that rant about keeping

Hey, that rant about keeping cats in your yard. How you gonna do that?

seenitB4 03/21/12 - 05:27 am

I wonder how many remember The Lewis Family from Lincolnton Ga....I really liked watching little Roy...he was a cutup on stage & made it funny.

Riverman1 03/21/12 - 05:28 am
SeenIt, the thing is the

SeenIt, the thing is the beautiful Southern girls would really be having a good time and get out of hand. That's why I said use yankee models.

I have been to some pretty fancy places all over the world, but I can take you to Cousin Richards restaurant-beer joint in Orangeburg County and they have the most beautiful, unaffected women in the world. It is unreal. Nothing compares to it. When someone is playing there the farmer's daughters just have a good time and are so unaffected by their healthy good looks I marvel at them.

Riverman1 03/21/12 - 05:30 am
The Lewis Family is famous.

The Lewis Family is famous. They should have a handprint in the asphalt on Highway 78 or something.

seenitB4 03/21/12 - 05:33 am

Just one rose will do was the ole mans trademark song.....he married his wife when she was 15...they had 8 kids together & were together 77 years....

77 YEARS with the SAME person...now that is LOVE!

seenitB4 03/21/12 - 05:39 am
Sometimes I wonder what the

Sometimes I wonder what the thumpers would do to me if they could get their hands on me heheh...might be a good thing I'm in Gwinnett county....
hey RM...tell your groupies to give it a rest....or do you pay them to come on & make YOU look good...hahaha

Riverman1 03/21/12 - 05:40 am
SeenIt, I believe you can

SeenIt, I believe you can find a link for every song ever sung. You know how they say someting is Americana? That's Southerncana.

Riverman1 03/21/12 - 05:42 am
SeenIt, no thumbing going on

SeenIt, no thumbing going on in my direction, up or down. I come on here and write my heart out remembering all my relatives, too. Kind of sad.

Riverman1 03/21/12 - 05:45 am
Back to my family in SC and I

Back to my family in SC and I have to be careful here because Cousin Richard is still living and owns the beer joint in Orangeburg County. He's Bobby's uncle. Bobby's the one who got in all that trouble y'all might have heard about. But Richard is doing okay even though he just lost a leg. He married a 25 year old not too long ago. He also still runs the liquor store part of the beer joint, kind of next door to keep it legal, but really it's all together.

seenitB4 03/21/12 - 05:48 am
Speaking of

Speaking of cats,.....

You can keep a cat in the yard...it is called cat fence in....also give that cat a special food it can't get anyplace else....a very special taste...programmed just for THAT cat....it will get so addicted to it it won't want to leave the yard.....& will be a happy cat...
because I have seenitB4...:):)

Riverman1 03/21/12 - 05:49 am
Cats are like squirrels. I

Cats are like squirrels. I don't expect them to obey fences and property lines.

Riverman1 03/21/12 - 05:51 am
Dogs coming in my yard don't

Dogs coming in my yard don't even bother me. Out here on the river we don't have too many fences. This big old dog from down the river hangs out at my place all the time. Especially when I'm grilling something.

seenitB4 03/21/12 - 05:53 am
You do have some interesting

You do have some interesting family members....a lot like mine....some did some time for making moonshine....they lived on Morgan Rd....the dim road was named foe them too....sometimes I wonder about the stills & if any are still there.

seenitB4 03/21/12 - 05:55 am
Some of their bestest friends

Some of their bestest friends on Morgan rd were the James crowd....you talk about some tough folks & GOOD looking--they were....but ya better not make them mad though....

Riverman1 03/21/12 - 05:56 am
Honest to Goodness, I found

Honest to Goodness, I found an old still in the woods on my farm in Aiken County. Not sure who was making liquor.

Riverman1 03/21/12 - 05:58 am
SeenIt, people think we're

SeenIt, people think we're joking about these people, but we both know we're not. It was or is with my relatives, kind of a Dukes of Hazard thing without all the TV fantasy.

Riverman1 03/21/12 - 06:01 am
I have no doubt I could take

I have no doubt I could take the Discovery Channel people who make those Swamp People shows and so on out to my kin in SC around the swamps of the Edisto River and they could turn it into a show.

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.