Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A CHALLENGE TO OUR citizens to perform a generous or helpful deed or give a kind word to someone every day. This is in honor of a wonderful, kind-hearted friend who passed away recently and this was the way he led his life.

I WANT TO THANK the principal of a Richmond County middle school for allowing my child to be taunted by known gang members and all you do is sit in your office and look the other way.

THERE IS NO NEED to have three different grades of gas octanes. It’s just another way to make money.

RAVE TO Juvenile Court Judge Doug Flanagan for letting it be known that bullying of any nature will not be tolerated.

WHAT HAPPENED TO common sense in this country? I am 67 years old. Today I bought a tobacco product and had to show my ID. But the people don’t want to show an ID to vote. Anyone who does not file an income tax every year should not have the right to vote; anyone who does not pay income taxes should not have the right to vote; anyone who has never worked for a living should not have the right to vote.

SINCE WHEN does the MCG foundation presume to tell Augusta what to do? A Wal-Mart will bring jobs and a better place to shop than an old Kroger store.

THE CHIEF OF POLICE in Thomson is right to get M-16s. You have to be able to match the crooks firepower.

I WANT TO THANK the person who found my son’s wallet and checkbook in the Publix parking lot. God bless you.

SOME BIKERS ON the Greeneway in North Augusta are rude. They do not observe the rules of the road.

MICHELLE MALKIN has a one-track mind. All she writes about in The Chronicle is something negative about Obama. Can’t she think of
something else to write about?

TOO MANY PEOPLE at MCG are just standing around talking on cellphones. Dr. Azziz needs to get out of his office and see what’s going on in his hospital.

A BIG RAVE TO Costco. I went out there today for the first time. I was so impressed that I signed up for a membership.

Martinez
Martinez 03/10/12 - 11:13 pm
I showed my ID to vote this

I showed my ID to vote this past week just like I would expect to show my ID to fly, pick a child up from school, cash a check, register a vehicle, be seen by a doctor or hospital etc. I don't understand why such an uproar over requiring an ID to vote. It's required for plenty of other daily activities and stands to help ensure the integrity of the process.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 03/10/12 - 11:55 pm
"...(B)ullying of any nature

"...(B)ullying of any nature will not be tolerated." Giggle. No indeed, you will be returned to school forthwith or offered alternative school ... as long as it's a homosexual gang.

Straight kid? Straight to jail!

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 03/11/12 - 12:01 am
RE: Biker on the Greenway.

RE: Biker on the Greenway. They're the same anywhere. I came across one on Gordon Highway approaching Gate Two doing zero miles an hour in the middle of the lane, uphill at night, wearing a dark top, blue jeans and black shoes. The only way I spotted him was a single reflector the size of a poker chip. Besides the legal hassles and the sadness had I hit this idiot, I would have been publically flogged forever in this venue by every dolt who straddles one of those things and ventures into traffic with the same disregard for the laws of traffic and physics.

gagentleman
gagentleman 03/11/12 - 03:11 am
RANTER #5, ARE YOU KIDDING

RANTER #5, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I LL BET IN A PREVIOUS LIFE YOU WERE ON THE FUHRERS STAFF.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/11/12 - 05:03 am
Question for today...Can you

Question for today...Can you ever be TOO HAPPY?

Perhaps it should not be surprising that the very happiest people aren't the biggest go-getters. Consider the phenomenon psychologists call adaptation: a change in conditions--a new car, a raise, a marriage--quickly becomes the new normal. It should be easy to see why Mother Nature would not allow the flush of contentment to last long. If your first meal endlessly satisfies, you'll soon starve. However, if satisfaction is too pale and fleeting, you won't be motivated to pursue it.

So, from a design point of view, natural selection has a delicate calibration problem to solve. Fitness-enhancing activities need to pay off enough psychologically that we'll be keen to engage in them. But the satisfaction, once achieved, needs to wear off enough that we'll be motivated to recapture the glow, but not so completely that we'll sense the futility of it all and become dispirited. Extremely happy people seem to slightly overshoot the sweet spot of maximum motivation. Slightly less happy people remain chipper and energized, but are slightly hungrier. Hence, bigger pay packets.

Ms Begley attempts to connect the fact that the happiest people don't make the most money to the theme of Eric Wilson's new book "Against Happiness", a paean to melancholy. This seems to me a bit forced. For one thing, it remains that happy people tend to be better off on almost every dimension of well-being than unhappy people. And it seems perverse to think of extremely happy people as in some sense "too happy". It is more natural to see them as blessed. Many of us would be glad to be supremely satisfied in our relationships and to be happier than those who have more because they are more driven. Such smiling folk may be too blissed-out to write the Great American Novel or to dominate their local scramble for status. But so what?

None of this is to gainsay the utility of negative emotion. We get the blues for good reasons. And, yes, we can create great beauty from sadness. Painful struggle can create great achievement. The happy life is not better than the turbulent creative life or the stressful striving life or the self-abnegating moral life. There are many good things, and there is no one best way to trade them against each other. So too are there many, varied problems in this world. But I am dead certain that an excess of happiness is not one of them.

Serious question & I would like some serious answers.......thankya

Good am CSRA.....fakers need not answer this.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/11/12 - 05:08 am
Doctors say

Doctors say this....

Psychologists argue that many, if not all, human traits have optimal levels. With regard to the trait of happiness, studies show that people who report themselves as happy at age 18 will obtain more years of education and earn higher incomes in their 30s than will their less happy 18-year-old peers, but that those who score above the 90th percentile in happiness will actually do somewhat worse. Interestingly, however, the pitfalls of being “too happy” are not observed in the domain of social relationships. It has been known for a long time that happier people are more likely to get married, to have fulfilling relationships, to boast more friends, and to have higher-quality social support. But if you rate yourself a 10 on a 10-point scale of happiness, you are still slightly better off in your romantic and social life than someone who is happy but not super-happy. So, once a person is already moderately happy, becoming even happier may have costs in some domains, but not in others.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/11/12 - 05:11 am
Whoever is happy will make

Whoever is happy will make others happy too. He who has courage and faith will never perish in misery."
-Anne Frank

I"m so optimistic I'd go after Moby Dick in a row boat and take the tartar sauce with me.
Zig Ziglar

"In seeking happiness for others, you find it for yourself." Anonymous

"Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort." Franklin Roosevelt

"The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one does."
James M. Barrie

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/11/12 - 05:37 am
Only country folks will like

Only country folks will like this.....sooo if ya ain't country...skip over please..:)

copperhead
copperhead 03/11/12 - 07:02 am
How many hussein worshippers

How many hussein worshippers are buying stock in solyndra and ener1? How many have gone out and bought a volt or two? Invest(bet) YOUR total assets in solyndra today to show your loyalty and love for hussein-they(solyndra) are still handing out performance bonuses and hussein is at the head of the line!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/11/12 - 07:57 am
Good Sunday Morning

Good Sunday Morning America.

MICHELLE MALKIN knows that a meteor is going to hit earth in November 2012. 10, would you rather she wrote lies to appease you.

Facts and Truth = Poison to ameba Liberals

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/11/12 - 08:04 am
#10, You don't like Michelle

#10, You don't like Michelle Malkin, then try this one from Mark Knoller.

The pilots and crew of Air Force One are flying more hours.

They are tired of it too, and are adding more crew to Air Force-1,

I know this for a fact because I'm one of the instructors that trains the crews.

Last year (2010) Obama flew in Air Force One 172 times, almost every other day. White House officials explain he wants to get out more around the country because, as everyone knows, that midterm election shellacking on Nov. 2 had nothing to do with his health care bill, over-spending or other policies, and everything to do with Obama's not adequately explaining himself to his countrymen and women.

And with Obama's never-ending presidential campaign, the incumbent's travel pace will not likely slacken. At an Air Force estimated cost of $181,757 per flight HOUR (not to mention the additional travel costs of Marine One, Secret Service, logistics and local police overtime), that's a lot of frequent flier dollars going into Obama's carbon footprint. $8 Million every time it lands & takes off.

Obama made 65 domestic trips over 104 days, and six trips to eight countries over 22 days. Not counting six vacation trips over 32 days. He took 196 helicopter trips, signed 203 pieces of legislation and squeezed in 29 rounds of left-handed golf.

Obama last year gave 491 speeches, remarks or statements. That works out to about one official utterance every 11 waking hours. Aides indicate the "Real Good Talker" believes we need more.

Obama spends nearly half his presidency outside Washington, plans to travel more.

Vacationer-in-Chief Spends $1.75 Million to Visit Hawaiian Chums.

Obama has spent over $100 million taxpayer dollars flying around in Air Force One, and probably another $100 million on his entourage.

Obama is just another tin-pot dictator living lavishly at the expense of his subjects.

And we have to "tighten our belts."

allhans
allhans 03/11/12 - 08:44 am
Cobalt George..and he has

Cobalt George..and he has already raised 1.53 million dollars for his re-election campaign, all raised on our dollar.

Come August we will watch wall-to-wall re-elect Obama political ads.

We that want a change have to fight even harder to be heard.
Get together..stop aiding and abetting the Democrats divide us.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/11/12 - 09:03 am
SeenIt, thought provoking

SeenIt, thought provoking posts. Yep, I get it. I do think some of human nature is built into it to make us keep seeking more and more happiness. Some call it advancing your goals.

I do worry about two things. One is when I feel too happy for no reason. Heh. You know I wonder why and know there's nowhere to go but down.

And this next one is weird, but it's when someone I have a superficial work relationship with or something starts to like me for absolutely no reason. I think the person has an unreal, rose colored glasses, view of me and I'll only serve to spoil their perspective as we truly get to know each other better.

allhans
allhans 03/11/12 - 09:32 am
Voter iD is necessary to

Voter iD is necessary to prevent anyone from being disenfranchised. Blacks especially have been concerned with this and shoudl welcome the rules for photo ID. This is one case of actual fraud.
"
"As the sheriff of Lincoln County, W.Va., Jerry Bowman is sworn to uphold the law. But the 58-year-old law enforcement veteran stood in a federal courtroom in Charleston on Wednesday and pleaded guilty in a shocking voter fraud case that has stripped him of his job and could send him to prison for a decade.

Prosecutors say Bowman and former Lincoln County Clerk Donald Whitten, 62, were part of a scheme to steal the May 2010 Democratic primary by stuffing ballot boxes with illegal absentee ballots.

Bowman admitted to falsifying more than 100 of the absentee ballot applications and even voting with some of the ballots himself, while Whitten, who also pleaded guilty Wednesday, acknowledged lying to investigators about the plan to try to throw the election."
"

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/11/12 - 09:34 am
Do we REALLY have free

Do we REALLY have free will?

The first is simple: we are biological creatures, collections of molecules that must obey the laws of physics. All the success of science rests on the regularity of those laws, which determine the behavior of every molecule in the universe. Those molecules, of course, also make up your brain — the organ that does the "choosing." And the neurons and molecules in your brain are the product of both your genes and your environment, an environment including the other people we deal with. Memories, for example, are nothing more than structural and chemical changes in your brain cells. Everything that you think, say, or do, must come down to molecules and physics.

True "free will," then, would require us to somehow step outside of our brain's structure and modify how it works. Science hasn't shown any way we can do this because "we" are simply constructs of our brain. We can't impose a nebulous "will" on the inputs to our brain that can affect its output of decisions and actions, any more than a programmed computer can somehow reach inside itself and change its program.

'Meat computers'

And that's what neurobiology is telling us: Our brains are simply meat computers that, like real computers, are programmed by our genes and experiences to convert an array of inputs into a predetermined output. Recent experiments involving brain scans show that when a subject "decides" to push a button on the left or right side of a computer, the choice can be predicted by brain activity at least seven seconds before the subject is consciously aware of having made it. (These studies use crude imaging techniques based on blood flow, and I suspect that future understanding of the brain will allow us to predict many of our decisions far earlier than seven seconds in advance.) "Decisions" made like that aren't conscious ones. And if our choices are unconscious, with some determined well before the moment we think we've made them, then we don't have free will in any meaningful sense.

I've been reading about the brain ...heh...can you see that.

daphne3520
daphne3520 03/11/12 - 09:55 am
It's NOT only the Principal

It's NOT only the Principal at that unnamed Richmond County School, it is pervasive in Richmond County School, Aiken County Schools, too.

On another note: Stevie Wonder can SEE that CostCo is too, too high priced!

KSL
KSL 03/11/12 - 09:57 am
The wailing over having to

The wailing over having to show a government issued picture ID to vote is ridiculous. I had to show a picture ID to open a bank account the other day. It was the first bank account I have opened in years. I didn't really need yet another bank account, but when you can earn over 8% with hardly any risk....

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/11/12 - 09:59 am
B4, now that I am fully

B4, now that I am fully educated on a true American brain, can you provide some input on a one gene cell Liberial brain?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/11/12 - 10:02 am
KSL, the issue over showing

KSL, the issue over showing an ID is completely STUPID! I just will not debate it......Period.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/11/12 - 10:07 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/11/12 - 10:13 am
B4, "PERFECT" I just can't

B4, "PERFECT" I just can't stop laughing..........

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/11/12 - 10:18 am
CGEE....I bet ya liked this

CGEE....I bet ya liked this didn't ya?

inability to detect errors, severe difficulty with resolving stimulus conflict in a Stroop task, emotional instability, inattention, and akinetic mutism. There is evidence that damage to ACC is present in patients with schizophrenia, where studies have shown patients have difficulty in dealing with conflicting spatial locations in a Stroop-like task and having abnormal ERNs. Participants with ADHD were found to have reduced activation in the dorsal area of the ACC when performing the Stroop task.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/11/12 - 10:25 am
B4, LOLOLOLOLO, you should be

B4, LOLOLOLOLO, you should be awared the Nobel Brain Prize!

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/11/12 - 10:33 am
Cgee...Trouble & I are trying

Cgee...Trouble & I are trying to get our own column on here....once a week....I have a name for it already..."The Trashpile" because it will be about EVERYTHING....music-news-politics-books-jokes-travel-current events--we will try to keep things on the up & up.....but once in awhile I'm sure we will "slip" some.....:)

Ya hear me AC-Sean_B Morris...

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/11/12 - 10:39 am
Allhans, about the Charleston

Allhans, about the Charleston County vote stealing, the incumbent Sheriff there used to get 99% of the vote like it was a Communist county announcing their elections. Of course, deputies also used to take the old time ballot boxes in to be counted at a central location.

The Charleston County Sheriff used to be the highest paid in the nation, too. He had a sweet deal where he got a percentage of all back taxes collected.

By the way, this is not the current Sheriff, Al Cannon, who is a great guy and former pretty good high school athlete at the greatest high school in SC. Can you tell where I went to HS?

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/11/12 - 10:57 am

Speaking of trashpile...look at this pile of trash at a home in Calif.....can be seen from space!

River....If any1 got it---I knew you would..lol

Trouble
Trouble 03/11/12 - 11:53 am
afternoon all, hey rk and

afternoon all, hey rk and seenit

allhans
allhans 03/11/12 - 12:37 pm
Gorgeous day, huh!

Gorgeous day, huh!

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/11/12 - 05:08 pm

Do we really want the answer to all questions.....nnaaahh don't think so either..LOL

good evening trouble.....seeya later