Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT TO WHOEVER paved/patched Louisville Road. It’s worse now than before.

MY GUESS IS that Sarah Palin would be running for president right now except for one problem. She couldn’t win a debate with a 4th grader.

FLAGS SHOULD be adjusted only for heroes and sheroes. Now can we get the bank at Daniel Village to replace that tattered flag?

A BIG RAVE TO the Paine College history students for their work and costumes for the tour of Cedar Grove Cemetery. You all Rock! And a big Rave and thanks too to the really smart lady who noted all kinds of information during that tour as well.

A BIG RAVE TO the hosts of the film showings for The Steering Committee and Stars and Bars Aflame. Also Big, Big RAVE to the filmmakers Hodges Usry and Banks Pappas respectively for their films. They both made sure to honestly depict painful parts of our history during the 1960s and 1970s of the discrimination, riots, protests, etc. with a wonderful visual as well as audio impact.

RAVES TO THE Augusta Players production of Chicago. Excellent job by the cast, musicians, and production staff. Thanks for providing a memorable night of entertainment and fun.

IS THERE A bigger display of hypocrisy than the Oscars presentation? Billy Crystal was trying to make a joke when he said that nothing takes our minds off hard times like a bunch of millionaires giving each other golden awards. Very funny.

YOU GUYS ARE gonna mess around and let Obama get elected again. What a sad day.

TO THE COLUMBIA COUNTY sheriff’s deputy who was tailgating me on I-20 Feb. 22, I was passing an 18-wheeler running the posted speed limit of 70 mph. I could see your teeth in my rear view mirror you were so close. Thank the Good Lord that I am an experienced driver. Had this been my newly licensed child, imagine the wreck that could have ensued due to your aggressive driving and tailgating.

IF YOU DON’T PAY any or very much income tax, what is your beef?

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 03/09/12 - 12:04 am
All this furor over birth

All this furor over birth control. Guys are told from almost year one to use a condom or keep it in their pants if they don't want to be a father. Why isn't that an option for women?

KSL
KSL 03/09/12 - 12:45 am
Actually it was "back then."

Actually it was "back then." Then the government came along and told those females they would set them up and take care of them, never mind the fathers. Thank LBJ going forward. I was a caseworker back then. Ask me personally about the changes. I lived those times as a social worker.

KSL
KSL 03/09/12 - 12:49 am
Ranter number 2, could you??

Ranter number 2, could you?? If so, and you made the statement in the rants and raves, prove it.You did go out there and made a claim. Now you go for it. Show us what you can do!!! Start the debate. Come on, show us.

KSL
KSL 03/09/12 - 12:52 am
Flag should, ask them before

Flag should, ask them before posting here. Ever think of that? I suspect you are upset, but would have someone else ask them to do it for you? Am I wrong?

countyman
19148
countyman 03/09/12 - 03:12 am
Paine College adds to the

Paine College adds to the culture of urban Augusta, and we need to connect them to the Medical District and CBD(both experiencing major growth).. The Augusta Greenway would connect all three of them together.. The DDA discussed several projects in February of this year.. I took the time and commented on some of them below..
1). 851 Broad(Sprint Food & Metro Market: (Open air seating, 1st floor urban market, restaurant/convenience store, and 2nd floor Sprint Food corporate offices and space for other tenants, opens in a few months)
2). 220-222 6th street new residential
3). 314 Greene street 12 apts in Olde Town
4). 967 Broad street 4 apts/lofts
5). 566 Broad street (1st floor restaurant, and storage, office space, or retail: 2nd & 3rd floor apts/lofts)
6). 834 Greene street new residential
7). Hyatt Place hotel
8). Whites building (expansion completed and thirty four condos go on sale in april)
9). Whites warehouse building(on Ellis street connected via skywalk: gated parking construction scheduled to wrap up this month)

1225 Greene street new residential, 464 Greene street, 920 Greene street six apts, 307 9th street, 586 Broad street, and 556 Broad street are some of the projects underway not mentioned in the report..

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/12 - 05:50 am
:)...I just love it when

:)...I just love it when countyman talks sexy on here..heheheh

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/12 - 05:52 am
the rant sez.. YOU GUYS ARE

the rant sez..

YOU GUYS ARE gonna mess around and let Obama get elected again. What a sad day.

Yep...I agree withya......mess around.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/12 - 05:59 am
Well let me see now...How To

Well let me see now...How To Post...

Some want me to put all thoughts in 1 post----gotcha
Some want me to stretch it out because it will be easier to read--gotcha
Some want country music to go byebye--gotcha
Some want only business --real news posted--gotcha
Some want classical music ONLY--gotcha
Some want good jokes only--gotcha
Some want religion taught on here --gotcha

But what does seentB4 want & Sean Moores will allow......NOW that is the question......doncha think!!

Good am...REAL Americans & Fake-Ooos---special am to trouble

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/12 - 06:07 am
Why do we play games in our

Why do we play games in our real world!!!

First, Let’s Look at Some FACTS that will BLOW YOU AWAY

■69% of all heads of household play computer and video games.
■97% of youth play computer and video games
■In 2009 61% of surveyed CEOs, CFOs and other senior executives say they take daily game breaks at work.
Overall we invest 3 billion hours a week playing online games! It’s no wonder most people think it’s a waste of time — 3 billion hours a week dedicated to escaping reality. Why spend 3 billion hours working something FAKE when we could be solving the problems of the world?

Why Games Are More Engaging Than Our Lives
Games are more engaging because we CHOOSE the activity of playing them. They challenge our thinking, they give us immediate feedback as to how well we are doing and they reward us for our efforts. And the big unsaid is that the real world holds serious consequences for failure and that strikes FEAR into most of our hearts and keeps us from taking risks which otherwise might really pay off.
What’s Any of This Have to Do With Research?
It was research that uncovered these numbers that got Jane McGonigal asking these questions. And it’s a million curious minds put to task to uncover the myriad ways to engage people to share information, engage with our products and our brands and then glean a sense for how to improve it.
We’ve just been taking ourselves, our products and our work TOO SERIOUSLY. I’m not saying to slack off – I’m challenging us to remove the layer of fear that has us playing it safe and open ourselves up to the possibilities that only become available to us when we play.

That is it...it challenges our thinking---that happens on here everyday...
even when you disagree with others....

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/12 - 07:25 am
Inside joke An inside joke

Inside joke
An inside joke is a joke formed between two or more people that no one other than those few people will ever understand until you explain it to them. And even when you do explain it to them, they may get the joke but may not find it even remotely amusing. People generally find inside jokes annoying, as the joke makes absolutley no sense on its own in any context. I find that most of the stupidest ones that have been formed by own group were formed by accident. Perhaps that is why most of them make absolutely no sense.

Some never understand a good joke---inside or not!

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/09/12 - 07:31 am
SeenIt, LOL...entirely too

SeenIt, LOL...entirely too much time thinking about jokes. By the way, when Countyman starts to post, I grab some popcorn. It's a blast. Yeah, just what GHSU wants...to combine with Paine College.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/12 - 08:02 am
Now gentry doncha come on

Now gentry doncha come on here jumping on my case..cause it......

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/12 - 08:10 am
What makes lightning bugs

What makes lightning bugs light up??

Those are interesting questions. Lightning bugs (also called fireflies) are little beetles that carry their own "flashlights." God gave these insects a special chemical that they store in their abdomens. When that chemical comes into contact with oxygen from air, which the beetle breathes, it gives off a bright flash of light. The process is called bioluminescence (bye-oh-LOO-meh-NESS-sense). This light helps lightning bugs find their mates. The male flashes his light first; when the female sees it, she flashes her light. This tells the male where she is. Lightning bugs, like many of God's curious creatures, are "nocturnal," which means they are active at night. If they were active in the daytime, the Lord would not have needed to give them a flashlight

Dang....I never knew that!
looking for love......:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/09/12 - 08:15 am
Interesting about the

Interesting about the lightning bugs. I may start to carry a flashlight around at night and blink at someone when the situation arises. Sort of a Close Encounters of the Third Kind thing where you blink once and she blinks twice, then a dueling banjos thing with the flashlights until you need a cigarette.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/12 - 08:22 am
Ya got me crying in my coffee

Ya got me crying in my coffee this am....LOL

here ya go banjo guy

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/12 - 08:57 am
Today I have some free

Today I have some free time...GOB is playing golf in the mountains ....sooo I'm going to whoop it up..heh...enjoy MY DAY...&

seeya later..whoopie

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/09/12 - 09:24 am
Now that you've learned about

Now that you've learned about bioluminescence, seenit, you can look up triboluminescence. It's kind of neat.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/09/12 - 09:33 am
LL, I need another cigarette

LL, I need another cigarette just reading triboluminescence.

allhans
allhans 03/09/12 - 09:59 am
yes! ref 7:10 I saw that

yes! ref 7:10 I saw that question and answer on "dear digger Doug". My children, you know...

bjphysics
bjphysics 03/09/12 - 10:01 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/09/12 - 10:26 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/09/12 - 10:32 am
Now a lesson for the

Now a lesson for the day.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW THE DEFINITION OF “HUBRIS”!

George W. Bush speech after capture of Saddam Hussein:
The success of yesterday's mission is a tribute to our men and women now serving in Iraq .
The operation was based on the superb work of intelligence analysts who found the Dictator’s footprints in a vast country. The operation was carried out with skill and precision by a brave fighting force. Our servicemen and women and our coalition allies have faced many dangers in the hunt for members of the fallen regime, and in their effort to bring hope and freedom to the Iraqi people. Their work continues, and so do the risks. Today, on behalf of the nation, I thank the members of our Armed Forces and I congratulate them.

Barack Hussein Obama speech, Sunday, May 1, 2011:
And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against al Qaeda, even as I continued our broader efforts to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat his network.
Then, last August, after years of painstaking work by my intelligence community, I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden. It was far from certain, and it took many months to run this thread to ground. I met repeatedly with my national security team as we developed more information about the possibility that we had located bin Laden hiding within a compound deep inside of Pakistan . And finally, last week, I determined that I had enough intelligence to take action, and authorized an operation to get Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice.
Today, at my direction, the United States launched a targeted operation against that compound in Abbottabad , Pakistan .

Hubris (hu·bris), also hybris, means extreme haughtiness, pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it is in a position of power.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/09/12 - 10:36 am
Now the joke for the day. The

Now the joke for the day.

The Blind Cashier

A woman goes into Cabela’s to buy a rod and reel for her grandson’s
birthday. She doesn’t know which one to get, so she just grabs one and goes over to the counter. The clerk was standing behind the counter wearing dark shades.

She says to him, “Excuse me, sir. Can you tell me anything about this rod and reel?”

He says, “Ma’am, I’m completely blind; but if you’ll drop it on the counter, I can tell you everything from the sound it makes.”

She doesn’t believe him but drops it on the counter anyway……

He says, “That’s a six-foot Shakespeare graphite rod with a Zebco 404 reel and 10-LB Test line. It’s a good all-around combination, and it’s on sale this week for only $20.”

She says, “It’s amazing that you can tell all that just by the sound of it
dropping on the counter. I’ll take it!” As she opens her purse, her credit
card drops on the floor.

“Oh, that sounds like a Master Card,” he says.

She bends down to pick it up and accidentally “breaks wind.”

At first she is really embarrassed, but then realizes……there is no way
the blind clerk could tell it was she who tooted. Being blind, he wouldn’t
know that she was the only person around?

The man rings up the sale and says, “That’ll be $34.50 please.”

The woman is totally confused by this and asks, “Didn’t you tell me the rod and reel were on sale for $20? How did you get $34.50?”

He replies, “Yes, ma’am. The rod and reel is $20, but the Duck Call is $11 and the Catfish Bait is $3.50.”

She paid it and left without saying a word.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/09/12 - 10:40 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/09/12 - 10:42 am
and now I'm gone for a

and now I'm gone for a while.....can't upset the Thumb Sucking Downer...

bjphysics
bjphysics 03/09/12 - 10:52 am
Eliminationism “Eliminationis

Eliminationism

“Eliminationism is the belief that one's political opponents are ‘a cancer on the body politic that must be excised — either by separation from the public at large, through censorship or by outright extermination — in order to protect the purity of the nation’.”

David Parker
David Parker 03/09/12 - 10:59 am
love those zebco 404's still

love those zebco 404's still after all these years.

David Parker
David Parker 03/09/12 - 11:02 am
How did I get redirected to

How did I get redirected to the "Enrich your word power" HAH! Morning bj, CG, Seenit, LL, River and allhans !!! last Monday of the week ROCKS!!!

allhans
allhans 03/09/12 - 11:57 am
Thank you C.G for

Thank you C.G for "Hubris".

Now..The only person of interest to some is "I".

Fire Department raises sought

The Augusta Fire Depart­ment will present a pay raise proposal for firefighters and administrators to the county’s public safety committee Monday.