Rants and Raves

JUST TO REMIND everyone that in July 2008, gas was $4.11 per gallon and we were smack in the middle of a war that ended over 4,000 brave soldiers’ lives and cost billions. Bin Laden was alive and well, and none other than George Bush was leading our country.

TO THE PERSON WHO accidentally hit my parked gold Camry at the 5 O’clock Bistro on Sunday night, Feb. 19, it is not too late to make it right. The owners of the restaurant have my contact info. Thank you.

SURELY THE TEACHERS do not make $275 a day (the article about nine furlough days). I don’t know many Augusta citizens who make this kind of money. Surely there is an error here, or we are paying teachers too much money.

THE ‘CHRONICLE’ reported that about 30 people showed up for the River Glen anti-violence rally, and judging from the photos, many of those were young children. I assume there are hundreds of people living there. The situation will not improve until the community is willing to police itself. Call the police; identify the criminals. They are not your friends.

THE ONLY SPECIAL purpose local option sales tax I will vote for would be for a very large jail. We can’t keep letting violent criminals back on the streets and expect to have a civilized society.

RAVE TO Judge Jack Early for denying bond to Stephon Carter. Anyone charged with murder should not be allowed on the streets.

A RANT FOR THE situation at River Glen apartments. This cannot be solved by police. It is the product of illegitimate babies, welfare mothers and fathers who are nonexistent.

I HIGHLY COMMEND the family of Whitney Houston for making the decision to have her funeral service in the church where her musical roots began. This was very appropriate and more dignified than having an all-out circus show atmosphere. What did not seem right was for Jesse Jackson to be up front and center on the pulpit area.

WHAT A WASTE of time and money for UGA to hold a symposium about the impact of the TV program The Simpsons. The impact is totally negative to society and the beginning of the slippery slope to the disrespectful attitude we see everywhere.

Comments from readers.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/02/12 - 02:35 am
May I remind everybody that

May I remind everybody that on 20 January 2009 the national average for a gallon of gas was $1.83. Mechanisms were in place which led to the eventual end of Bin Laden.

Trouble
Trouble 03/02/12 - 02:40 am
morning all......rk, do you

morning all......rk, do you work for meanie heads that make you go to work this early too?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/02/12 - 03:28 am
Nope, I am about to go to

Nope, I am about to go to bed.

Sooooooooooo... Good Mourning Awguster and the Hotlanter suburbanite.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/02/12 - 06:32 am
Good am trouble &

Good am trouble & RKill.....early birds & hard working folks....

If we could turn back time.....oooh what things we could do....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/02/12 - 06:37 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 03/02/12 - 07:39 am

Ok Parker & LLamb.....just for yall......ole Merle at his best.....wrote the dang thing too......(& he is so handome in this video)

I think Bonnie Owens was the reason for this song.....you know she was still in his band even when he married others.....heheh......some men just can't let go of a good woman..heh

(we see that on here too) HAHA

strib1
strib1 03/02/12 - 09:34 am
so, u think we are better

so, u think we are better off now ..... ???????? i dont think so and if we put bho and congress back in ,,,, u aint seen nuting yet!!!!!

strib1
strib1 03/02/12 - 09:36 am
how long has ist been sence

how long has ist been sence bush was here !! 09-10-11- seems to me we have someone else now !!! and u still think we are better off???????????????

allhans
allhans 03/02/12 - 10:04 am
And we were promised so

And we were promised so much...

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/02/12 - 10:24 am
strib, allhans... I just

strib, allhans... I just wonder who the Emperor will blame if he does get re-elected.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/02/12 - 10:51 am
THE ONLY SPECIAL purpose

Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County Arizona has some plans for very low cost jails.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/02/12 - 11:01 am
10-4 on the JSPLOST. That

10-4 on the JSPLOST. That would be the only SPLOST I would support. Of course all we would really need is a level field, a lot of concertina wire, a contract for port-o-lets, and a bunch of surplus GP Large tents. Prisons should be places that is very uncomfortable and a place that nobody wants to be sent. No federal law requires air conditioning, cable TV, porcelain bathrooms, and three hot meals a day. Sheriff Arpaio out in Maricopa County, AZ has proven you can lock 'em up real cheap. The high costs of prisons is a self-inflicted wound brought about by liberal rehabilitation proponents. We now have a track record, the repeat offender record, that proves that rehabilitation does not work. Let's go back to PUNISHMENT for committing crimes. Oh by the way, the "don't punish them, give them positive reinforcement" types are the same people who ruined our kids.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/02/12 - 11:26 am
dichotomy, you have a real

dichotomy, you have a real talent for cutting through the BS and getting to the point. Very well said again.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/02/12 - 12:01 pm
Criticize the Cabal (you know

Criticize the Cabal (you know there is no such thing, so don't delete this post) in Augusta and you may have an Andrew Brietbart-like heart attack if you go for a stroll.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 03/02/12 - 12:06 pm
I think gas went up as a

I think gas went up as a result of hurricane katrina but the President authorized cheaper unclean gas to be sold until repairs were made. Now the current President said high gas prices are good. For once I agree with his reasons. I do like having the road all to myself. I feel a lot safer without those cell phone talkers just riding around driving like you know what. Come on Mr President bump it up to $5.00 a gallon. I can afford it.
Please drop the whitney houston thing people. They wouldn't care if anyone of us died.

allhans
allhans 03/02/12 - 07:31 pm
One of the problems with the

One of the problems with the gasoline situation is that after the BP oil spill Obama shut down all the drilling in that area by U.S. companies. Now, other countries continued to drill but America had to find a place to drill farther away.
What a mess he did weave. I think I recall that after several months he approved drilling but there was no one left to drill.

Trouble
Trouble 03/02/12 - 12:28 pm
afternoon all

afternoon all

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/02/12 - 12:37 pm
allhans, did you hear the

allhans, did you hear the Emperor say that if we started drilling today it would be 10 years before it affected gas prices. Now, what would have happened if we had started drilling in ANWR 10 years ago, Wait, we tried but the democratic controlled congress blocked it. So I guess it is Bush's fault for doing what congress said. Not doing what he wanted like the current Emperor.

kc fan
kc fan 03/02/12 - 12:49 pm
There is no error in what a

There is no error in what a teacher makes. You can look on the AC and find out exactly what they make. After 20 years in the military and 18 years teaching, I felt more in control of things in the military. Students are not sure why they go to school, and parents send them so they do not have to have them at home with them. Maybe you should become one and make the pay they do, but also to see first hand what they are responsible for in a child's life every single day!

carcraft
carcraft 03/02/12 - 01:18 pm
Roadkill, It takes 3-4 years

Roadkill, It takes 3-4 years to bring an oil well into production. The current increases in oil production happened under Bush. We now have an estimated 1.3 TRILLION Barrels of recoverable oil in the US, enough to last us 250 years. New Fields of oil have been found in Texas and the Bakken oil field in eastern Montana and North Dakota have billions of barrels of oil. A guy named Hamm (16th largest producer of oil in America) attended a charitable forum put on by Obama. He informed Obama during his speach about the amount of oil in America and Obama didn't care. The Weekend Interview with Harold Hamm: How North Dakota ...online.wsj.com/.../SB1000142405297020422620457660252402393... Bush increased permits 70% over Clinton. Obama has now decreased exploration permits by 70% and is holding up production permits via the EPA.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 03/02/12 - 01:23 pm
My son graduates from school

My son graduates from school this year with honors. His teachers call in sick a lot. I'm talking a lot. They have all their surgeries during the school year. The substitute teacher falls asleep knitting and the students pull out their unauthorized cell phones and take pictures of her. ( Westside High) My son didn't have some of his books until almost 3 months into the school year.
I agree with Roadkill, 10 years ago they said it'll take 10 years to get the first drop out. Well it's been 10 years.........

srd0901
srd0901 03/02/12 - 01:30 pm
This is a rant to the

This is a rant to the anonymous person who "whined" in the Metro Spirit about the only restaurant currently in the White's Building. You must be a miserable person to wish ill will on someone who has had the deck stacked against them since they opened. I'm sure they welcome any neighbors who would occupy the empty spaces in the White's Building, since [name retracted] has been the only business to occupy space there for over three years. As the Good Book says, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/02/12 - 01:47 pm
carcraft, that was my point.

carcraft, that was my point. We have the reserves but the Emperor won't let us use them. I am all for alternative energy. But as of now we do not have a reliable source of alternative energy. I said before that maybe more good would come from offering a prize to any individual or company that can devise a reliable source, not sending it to a foreign country or a failing company in the US of A.

The Emperor gave GM millions to bring the Volt into production. Well he got it. An electric car that will run 40 whole miles on a single charge. Do you realize that a person living in Thomson and working in Augusta would not be able to use this car for a round trip?

Until we have a reliable source of alternative energy we NEED the oil. Get real people.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/02/12 - 02:00 pm
Now tell me again the Emperor

Now tell me again the Emperor cares about the common man and they he doesn't play favorites for the unions....

iLove
iLove 03/02/12 - 02:14 pm
If you take an educator's

If you take an educator's salary (ac.com) and divide it by 190 days....you can easily see why "teachers" (educators) make well more than 200+ a day.

allhans
allhans 03/02/12 - 02:15 pm
RK..Did you hear Obama

RK..Did you hear Obama blaming the medical benefits reduction on the Republicans in Congress, he says he has no choice since the super committee didn't make the necessary cuts.
Don't you find it tiresome that he can change the things he wants to change and then say he can't make changes..

Gamecocks5
Gamecocks5 03/02/12 - 02:24 pm
There's another local

There's another local baseball player from Midland Valley playing for Georgia Southern named Josh Adams. He's a senior and is their top pitcher and was drafted by the Atlanta Braves out of high school.

God save America
God save America 03/02/12 - 04:02 pm
to augusta resident who

to augusta resident who wants gas to go to 5.00 $ a gallon because they can afford it. there are some people who can't get to work because they can't afford high gas prices you want .

carcraft
carcraft 03/02/12 - 04:06 pm
Raodkill, I was trying to

Raodkill, I was trying to reinforce your point. Obama says "Anybody that says we can drill our way out of this doesn't know what they are talking about". Well from the facts it is pretty clear Obama doesn't know what he is talking about!

Vogtle workforce hits 4,200

About 4,200 workers are employed at the Plant Vogtle expansion project where the first two reactors built in the U.S. in more than three decades are rising from the red clay.