Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

OUR SECRETARY OF STATE H. CLINTON and President Obama are making us look like fools. The leaders of Iran say they are getting close to enriching the materials for nukes! An Iranian diplomat says they are ready to negotiate, and Clinton says that’s a good first step. If we took a step for every time she said that about this, we would be half way to Iran and never had taken a second step. Reminds me of Chamberlain negotiating with Hitler!

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN to me why I have had to call the police multiple times on an individual who is harassing my family and me? I have made multiple police reports, paid the $10 to take out a warrant, yet they have made no effort in “finding” this individual who still manages to make their way by my house and call my phone?

COME ON, PEOPLE. Augusta ALSA Walk to Defeat ALS is scheduled March 24, and has yet to get 25 percent of its donation goal of $40,000. Google it, form a team, pick a team, pick a walker, and donate to this worthy cause. Help those with ALS find a cure and live beyond the two- to five-year life expectancy.

A BIG RAVE FOR for CNN. I watched a lot of the Whitney Houston funeral service and to my surprise they did not bleep out the first reference to God or make any disclaimers that the views expressed by the this service does not agree with those of CNN.

RANT TO AIKEN County School District for NOT enforcing the Anti-Bullying laws.

WESTVIEW CEMETARY, what’s up with the cemetery downtown that’s supposed to be maintained by the county? I go there once a month to see my grandfather’s grave, and it’s so nasty I take a rake and a broom with me every time I go. What’s the county doing?

LOOKS LIKE balancing the 2012 budget will fall on us property owners again. It is reported that the owner of $100,000 house will be paying about $21 more a year. It’s about time that we had a break so the money should come from layoffs and reducing/eliminating departments.

xzy
xzy 02/29/12 - 10:49 pm
I was wondering why we can't

I was wondering why we can't get updates on the Georgia Southern baseball team like you do the other colleges in the area? Southern has 4 area players on their roster: TD Davis, Ben Morgan, Heath Durand & Nick Rau. It would be nice to support them like you do for UGA, USCA, USC, ASU, Paine College.

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 02/29/12 - 11:12 pm
Augusta does exactly what

Augusta does exactly what D.C. does, spend other peoples money like there is no tomorrow. Get everyone outttaaa there! Balance a budget? What is that, lets hire a consultant to see where we can save money or reduce waste. God help Augusta!

seenitB4 03/01/12 - 05:29 am
Haha....another election that

Haha....another election that is an almost win....

WASHINGTON — Despite winning the popular vote in Michigan's primary, Mitt Romney will split his home state's convention delegates with second-place finisher Rick Santorum.

They each won 15 of the state's 30 delegates.

Santorum portrayed the delegate tie as a victory, given that Romney was born and raised in Michigan and outspent him.

The Dems. are crossing over to sway the election---well that's how Cynthia McKinney was tossed.

Good am early birds....can't sleep..heh

seenitB4 03/01/12 - 05:32 am

This am I woke with this song on my mind.....I blame it on SEAN...

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/01/12 - 05:33 am
Good morning, SeenIt. I slept

Good morning, SeenIt. I slept okay, but am up early because I have to go in early to do something kind of complicated today. Wish me luck. Dang, now it's starting to rain.

seenitB4 03/01/12 - 05:35 am
I wish you luck in everything

I wish you luck in everything that you do..:)

seenitB4 03/01/12 - 05:38 am
You know some complain about

You know some complain about SM bouncing their posts.....but I don't because he says in a way that I just can't get upset with him....like this..

"Sweetie I have to delete your post ...try to be gentler-nicer next time....you know I don't want to but I gotta"

Now how could I get MAD with that!!!

seenitB4 03/01/12 - 05:40 am
He will probably KEEL me when

He will probably KEEL me when he wakes up...heheheh

seenitB4 03/01/12 - 05:44 am
There is an article about a

There is an article about a teen killing an intruder....some go on & on about his guilty feeling.....SAY WHAT.......He protected & probably saved his dads life & possibly his own.....give me a break.....doncha think he would be more distraught if his dad had been KILLED!!

seenitB4 03/01/12 - 05:47 am
Just want to be clear on

Just want to be clear on something....

If I ever have to shoot an intruder (ya know like the Judge did) don't worry about my feelings....I will be ok...
why are we so upset with a person protecting their home & family???

seenitB4 03/01/12 - 05:53 am
Lori.....I may not be able to

Lori.....I may not be able to vote forya...but I will send some $$$ your way....put your info. for that on here pls....

I think you would be a breath of fresh air......lordy it is needed in downtown.

seenitB4 03/01/12 - 06:29 am

Well then who am I ??

Do you ever wonder who you really are....can you really get lost in cyberspace....heck sometimes GOB gets lost in this house....well yesterday I got in the car & there was the remote control for the tv that sits in his office...he had been looking for it for over a day.....
I have found fridge items in the pantry B4.......you just wouldn't believe what he does with items ....I can't even post it on here!!:)

seenitB4 03/01/12 - 06:37 am

They say when Charlie Pride first walked out on the Grand Ole Opry that mouths dropped wide open......they couldn't believe that a black man could sing this kind of country music...well HE CAN--DID..& he has been one of the BEST country singers of all time...way to go C Pride!!!

seenitB4 03/01/12 - 07:14 am
Well saying & doing is 2

Well saying & doing is 2 different things....but sounds good...

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel says that as a U.S. senator he would fight any attempts by the Republican establishment to focus on social issues over jobs and the economy.

The 34-year-old candidate said during an interview Wednesday with The Associated Press that he believes all elected leaders should be focused on "jobs, jobs, jobs."

"Whether someone is running for president of the United States, U.S. senator, state representative or dog catcher, the focus of elected leaders today should be on job creation and sustainable economic growth," he said.

Right idea though.

seenitB4 03/01/12 - 08:15 am
Issue in the news today.. A

Issue in the news today..
A majority of Americans support the use of contraceptives. The public is generally in favor of requiring birth control coverage for employees of religiously affiliated employers, according to a CBS News/New York Times poll Feb. 8-13. The survey found that 61 percent favor the mandate, while 31 percent oppose it. Even Catholics, whose church strongly opposed the recent government mandate, support the requirement at about the same rate as all Americans.

I just hope the Reps. don't get caught in the quick sand on this issue......don't lose the female vote......or kiss it goodbye.

desertcat6
desertcat6 03/01/12 - 10:28 am
Encourage you all to support

Encourage you all to support the 2012 WALK TO DEFEAT ALS! Donate to the JOHNSON-BURDESHAW team or any other at http://web.alsa.org/site/TR?fr_id=7498&pg=entry

seenitB4 03/01/12 - 10:35 am
Best news in the

Best news in the AJC..

Bernanke sez that the economy has performed better han expected...//if the trend continues the Fed might have to reassess its outlook for a slow recovery.....

seeya later

TNTHOMSON
TNTHOMSON 03/01/12 - 10:38 am
Obama's proposed 2013 budget

Obama's proposed 2013 budget calls for annual enrollment fees for retirees in Tricare Prime to rise next year by 30 percent to 78 percent, from the current $460 or $520 for families to between $600 and $820.

Obama will make sure military folks do their "fair share" so detainees at GITMO can have their new $750,000 soccer field....

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 03/01/12 - 10:45 am
Good Morning River, I hope

Good Morning River, I hope everything goes exceedingly well for you today.

David Parker
David Parker 03/01/12 - 10:49 am
One of, if not THE,

One of, if not THE, G.O.A.T.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez24yjqRGLs

so appropriate for the state of the union and our time.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 03/01/12 - 11:07 am
Good Morning David.

Good Morning David.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/01/12 - 11:12 am
"It is reported that the

"It is reported that the owner of $100,000 house will be paying about $21 more a year."

What they don't report is that if you have a $100,000 house, or heaven forbid some vacant land in south RC, our Tax Assessor will value it at $200,000 and you will be paying $42 more a year.

Between the millage rate and the arbitrary "valuation", they manipulate the numbers to take whatever they want to from you. If that's not enough, they have the "garbage guru" add a little more county kickback to the garbage rates for rural residents and tack that onto your tax bill too.

Our mayor, our commissioners, and Fred seem to be totally impotent when it comes to cutting spending. They just don't get it. They give it lip service. Some even propose things. Then they coward out, vote against the cuts, and resort to raising taxes......every time, without fail. They've always got a few million to give Paul and the boys 'cause they know they can always come back to the ATM......the taxpayers. And they know the constituents aren't smart enough to figure out what they are doing.

They are even so bold that they know they can waste our tax money and then shame us into paying for things twice by sticking any letter of the alphabet in front of the acronym SPLOST. Transportation SPLOST, school SPLOST, oh and the just plain old SPLOST for those extra special things like Paul projects and non-profits that should not be getting taxpayer money to begin with. Most of those SPLOSTs are things they should be doing with our normal taxes that we pay already. They need SPLOSTs because they are incompetent at doing the people's primary business. All of these new SPLOSTs they are proposing are things that we gave the politicians our state income tax, property tax and local sales tax for to begin with. They are already paid for except our governments are totally incompetent at managing our money.

The politicians and the school board are addicted to our money. It's a sickness. They are like drug addicts. No matter what you give them, they want more. They conned us with SPLOST and we got a bottomless pit called the TEE and a parking deck apparently hanging in mid-air. But we fell for SPLOST. Now the want SPLOST, TSPLOST, and a school SPLOST. PLUS they are going to raise our property taxes and the Tax Assessor will tweak our bogus valuations to get a little more. Meanwhile the actual market value of houses in this area is still going down, unemployment is high, and the price of food and gas is skyrocketing way past what could reasonably be called inflation. Who the he...ck do our local crew of collective "uselessness" think they are? Are they totally numb between the ears? Who do they think they are supposed to be representing? And that includes the school board and our illustrious state "legislative delegation". Apparently they are representing people who have more influence than the taxpayers.

Our commissioners and Fred have spent us blind and in approximately half of the county things are getting worse, not better. Our school board has spent us blind building new schools and the education level of our kids is getting worse. They are supposed to be improving education, not managing construction contracts. You know why they build so many new schools? Because they have no idea, not a clue, about how to improve education. What do they say to each other when they are in a closed door session? "Well, we can't improve education, we can't raise standards, we can't discipline students, we can't discipline teachers, we can't get a grip on salaries and benefits. Hey, let's build more new schools and, above all, always make sure we have a black superintendent." That should be hanging over their door as their mission statement.

It takes real effort....hard work....and courage to make cuts, fire unnecessary employees, fire incompetent teachers, cut unnecessary entities, raise performance standards, and restrain future spending. It takes real courage to say "I am not raising taxes and we will get by on what we have". But it's real easy to raise taxes and point at some new bricks and windows and say "see what I did with your tax money". And they take a bow and we all go away with our head bobbing like the dog in the back window of somebody's car and say "yeh, that'll fix things", while we wait on our next tax increase. They are incompetent and WE are not the brightest group of voters in the world. We apparently love to pay more for total failure. Maybe they should combine all of those SPLOSTs into WFSPLOST for WE FAILED SPLOST. At least that would be an honest name.

And when someone argues against these SPLOSTs, they always come out and say "It's fair because it spreads the tax around to everyone. It's better for the property owners." You know what? I don't think they can legally raise my property taxes high enough to make up for all the money these SPLOST sales taxes are, and will, cost me. Have you bought a new car lately. Have you had to buy a refrigerator or any other big ticket appliance? Believe me, these SPLOSTs ain't "just a penny". These SPLOSTs are taking some serious dough away from us. I think it is time to cut them off totally. Reject all SPLOSTs and then watch them squirm when they have raised property taxes all they legally can and HAVE to start making spending cuts. They are going to raise property taxes to the max anyway. Vote NO on all SPLOSTs if you want to see Fred and the commissioners squirm on spending cuts when avoiding the issue is not an option.

happychimer
happychimer 03/01/12 - 11:29 am
sassylassie
sassylassie 03/01/12 - 11:30 am
I can tell you what they are

I can tell you what they are doing at the cemetery; the workers sit down there behind the maintenance building talk on their cell phones. I went down there a few weeks ago to leave flowers at a family member's grave and observed this with my own eyes. One worker was there, in his truck, towing work equipment, and was on his phone for over an hour. And the brick sides of the graves are falling, trash is everywhere, the list goes on. I was not happy when I saw this. Oh, and it was too late in the day for a "lunch break" that's for sure...

allhans
allhans 03/01/12 - 11:38 am
sassylassie..I was gonna say,

sassylassie..I was gonna say, look around for the workers, sometimes they are sitting in the truck "taking a break".

sassylassie
sassylassie 03/01/12 - 11:49 am
Allhans, nice to know I'm not

Allhans, nice to know I'm not the only one who noticed this...and it certainly wasn't the first time I had observed this...

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/01/12 - 11:51 am
Happy we agree again. That

Happy we agree again. That was Charlies best.

Good Mourning Awguster, and Hotlanter suburbanite.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/01/12 - 11:51 am
Good post, dichotomy, even if

Good post, dichotomy, even if it was a little long. :-)

By the way, there is an ESPLOST referendum question on the Super Tuesday ballot. Be sure and vote NO!

seenitB4 03/01/12 - 01:01 pm
Good am HOT truck

Good am HOT truck driver.....& happy I love that song too...Kiss an Angel Good Morning can't be beat...now Rk--swing by here & help me with this work that is taking over my free time..:)
I NEED A MAID...I said to GOB....he said pay for it---dang.

seenitB4 03/01/12 - 01:05 pm
btw Llamb...todays paper sez

btw Llamb...todays paper sez Gov. Deal hasn't oked the gambling idea yet..BUT our chairwoman in Gwinnett county is checking to see if it will work for this county---we need the jobs she sez.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...