Rants & Raves

Comments from readers.

I JUST READ in The Chronicle that River Glen Apartments had its third homicide since May. Columbia County, this is a preview of what you are getting into with Magnolia Trace.

THE EDITORIAL PAGE in a Sunday paper was smudged with black ink, which is a black eye against an otherwise strong paper. You would never find this on the Sports page.

AS WE COME toward another election year, blacks are so overwhelmed because Presi­dent Obama was the first black president, but look at what he has done. As a black person, I don’t think he has done very much for me. He has not put any black people in his Cabinet, at least not a straight-up black man. He had the chance to put a black woman judge on the Supreme Court, but he chose a Hispanic woman. I’ve been a Dem­ocrat all my life.

RANT TO THE North Augusta police. Why is it we can enforce an ordinance that will stop people from making a dollar or two to buy food, but we can’t enforce a state ordinance on noise? Go ask at the high school and listen.

RAVE TO TREY ALLEN for speaking to us tonight about the construction mayhem in Springlakes. We may not agree on everything, but you were there to answer our questions and give us up-to-date information. Thank you.

DID YOU KNOW that it cost us taxpayers $1.6 billion (yes, billion) to fund the free cellphone program for the low-income population in 2011? It looks to me that there must be a lot of fraud and abuse going on. By the way, I don’t have a cellphone and manage my life without a problem!

GOD GAVE Whitney Houston a beautiful voice, a beautiful face and riches. She threw it all away for powder up her nose and a needle in the arm. How sad. I hope all the druggies out there and those who are tempted to just try illegal drugs one time will see this as the cautionary tale it is for all those who think they can beat the odds.

RAVE FOR Dr. Palmer and his staff at the Walmart optometry department, Deans Bridge Road. He worked late to ensure that my daughter had contacts for her soccer practice and game.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/20/12 - 09:55 pm
Ranter 3, said he's been a

Ranter 3, said he's been a democrat all of his life; well, there's a cure for that.

countyman
countyman 02/21/12 - 01:07 am
Speaking of Walmart in the

Speaking of Walmart in the Augusta area.. Is Richmond county really growing that fast?? Two new Walmarts announced within thirty days of each other(Wrightsboro rd and 15th street)..

When I read 'downtown' I initially thought about the CBD, but along 15th street near the Medical District and Harrisburg is a good fit... Considering the disposable income of the Medical District nearby, Target should have been a possibility..

I'm ready to find out if Regal Village theatre is coming back to life again.. Somebody purchased the former theatre in the Augusta West Plaza recently, and I'm hoping they're going to use it for it's original purpose.. After Hibachi opened, then WJBF studios, Raceway, Let's Jump(Kids play center; underway), etc followed right behind.. I did notice the lights were on at the former christian bookstore next door to WJBF studios last week..

countyman
countyman 02/21/12 - 02:32 am
Wheeler Town Park is finally

Wheeler Town Park is finally on the move again.. The recession hurt the development(300k sq. ft) from reaching it's full potential.. The sign is similar to the Augusta Exchange with space for 7-8 anchors, but only displays Carmax.. Nothing is open in the entire area, but the Carmax for now... Gander Mountain and Northern Toole were both opening at WTP before the recession..

There's alot of ongoing/planned commercial growth in such a small area of West Augusta...

1. Augusta mall/Wrightsboro rd- Walmart, 14k sq. ft. office/retail building, etc
2. Augusta Exchange- 7k sq. ft. center, Residence Inn By Marriott, Hilton brand hotel, etc
3. Wheeler Town Park
4. Washington rd- Legends Club, 7k sq. ft center, Four Points By Sheraton, upscale hotel, etc
5. Vilage at Riverwatch- 115 acres with Costco, etc
6. Augusta West Plaza- Let's Jump, renovation of Regal Village theatre, etc

I didn't include Jimmie Dyess Pkwy(25 acre shopping center & 10k sq. ft Shoppes at Dyess Park), because I considered it to be part of Southwest Augusta aka SWAG(Belair rd, Jimmie Dyess, and Gordon Hwy between Jimmie Dyess and Harlem/Grovetown).. Basically if you live closer to Glenn Hills, but are zoned for ARC.... While Gordon Hwy is the dividing line between South Augusta & West Augusta, the area of Gordon Hwy going towards Columbia county is zipcode 30909(West Augusta) and not 30906(South Augusta)..

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/21/12 - 04:57 am
West Augusta is a great area

West Augusta is a great area influenced by Columbia County. Those of us who live in Martinez don't pay that much attention to the county line. We are all Martinezians. (Okay, I made that word up ...I think.)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/12 - 06:31 am
The question shouldn't be did

The question shouldn't be did Pres. O put a black in his Cabinet...it should be did he put a competent person in there...

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/12 - 06:37 am
All the riches in the world &

All the riches in the world & some go to drugs for happiness.......so that tells me that happiness is very elusive & should you find it "somewhere"
ya better hold on tight & never let it go!

I've always found the happiest people I know are the ones with great friends & family backup....& they laugh a lot at each other & with each other....(& they love country music/ok i just made that up about the music :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/12 - 06:43 am
For some odd reason this

For some odd reason this place makes me happy too.....so when I find out what is doing it I will bottle it & just sniff it whenever I want some "happy" feeling......I know some will make a joke about that BUT hey....just remember you are here too plugging away & the last time I checked --we pay them they don't pay us..:):)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/12 - 06:56 am
My only sunshine. You make me

My only sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away

The other nite, dear,
As I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms.
When I awoke, dear,
I was mistaken
And I hung my head and cried.

You are my sunshine,
My only sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away.

Sometimes this place is like sunshine.......certain posters glow with more sunshine than others......they sparkle....they make this place interesting....soo try to keep your behinds on here please....I don't want to lose ANY sunshine.....know whatta mean??

Trouble
Trouble 02/21/12 - 07:04 am
morning to all, seenit, i

morning to all, seenit, i agree, the question should not be about color, but about competence.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/12 - 07:18 am
Good am trouble....would you

Good am trouble....would you kinda try to post next to countyman so some of your "sparkle" can fall on him.....as a favor to me.....I wish they would hurry up & get countywoman on here...you know whatta mean..:)

Trouble
Trouble 02/21/12 - 07:21 am
seenit, i will try, but rk

seenit, i will try, but rk would not be happy if i became countywoman.....for that matter, i wouldnt either......lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/12 - 07:30 am
trouble....No one wants you

trouble....No one wants you to waste your talents that way...heh...just throw a few sparkles that way......not many can handle the real deal.....Rkill goes out-of-town trucking just to take a break...:):)
luv ya

Trouble
Trouble 02/21/12 - 07:37 am
lol, i was wondering why he

lol, i was wondering why he drives a truck, that explains it soooo well......luv ya too

meginlea
meginlea 02/21/12 - 08:01 am
To Ranter #3: I REALLY do not

To Ranter #3: I REALLY do not think it is a good demonstration of your or anyone's 'democratic' views to judge President's Obama's presidency by how many people of 'color' he has added to the cabinet. While I much enjoy the fact that the government of this country is becoming peaceably more multi-ethnic and would relish in more of that, I would find it a shame for any one person to come to office with the hope of adding more people of his or her own skin color to the ranks at the expense of filling the spaces with most qualified and most suited individuals for the spaces and fulfilling of political agendas of the time. Furthermore, let's hope no political agenda of ANY time is for ANY one race to reign superior. I hope we have long passed those days. Is not THAT ONE of the reasons we were all happy to have America elect a president of African-American descent to the office of Commander in Chief in the FIRST place?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/12 - 08:40 am
Sooo meganlea you grew up in

Sooo meganlea you grew up in Augusta but now live in NYC??
Just can't stay away from good ole Augusta....i feel for ya....i grew up there too.......thought I would be back by now but real estate prices took a dive.........good time to buy but not so good to sell......so I might just get me a singlewide & park it in Appling.....maybe close to Cgee cause I know he can protecet me with his shooter.....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/12 - 08:49 am
Headlines in AJC.. Gas prices

Headlines in AJC..

Gas prices may top $4.50 by summer
Tanks move in on city in Syria...(remember what I said about N Korea & tanks)
deaths from Hepatitis c exceed those from aids..dang never knew that!
Overall reliabilty from cars has gotten better....good to know.
March 6 make or break for candidiates
Greek rescue down to the wire...

Things to do & none will make me really happy either.....sigh.byebye

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/12 - 08:52 am
protecet me with his

protecet me with his shooter.....:)

heheheh....must mean something...:)

Trouble
Trouble 02/21/12 - 09:07 am
prolly does seenit, but i am

prolly does seenit, but i am not his wife or your gob would approve.....lol

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 02/21/12 - 09:24 am
Good Mourning Awguster,

Good Mourning Awguster, haven't had much time to play lately. Hi trouble, , seenit , willow

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 02/21/12 - 09:25 am
Just one comment about our

Just one comment about our so-called leader.

Sorry O Great Emperor, my vote isn't for sale. Not even for $7000.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 02/21/12 - 09:46 am
"Furthermore, let's hope no

"Furthermore, let's hope no political agenda of ANY time is for ANY one race to reign superior. I hope we have long passed those days. Is not THAT ONE of the reasons we were all happy to have America elect a president of African-American descent to the office of Commander in Chief in the FIRST place?".......................LOL...those rose colored glasses are hiding the truth.....many..many are not concerned with the color of barry's skin..just his incompetence and social agenda and that it is his goal that this Country fail.

daphne3520
daphne3520 02/21/12 - 11:07 am
Obama is NOT black!!!! It is

Obama is NOT black!!!! It is well known that he is ONE half black and ONE half white!!!!!!!!

happychimer
19590
happychimer 02/21/12 - 11:15 am
My vote is not for sale

My vote is not for sale either. It's my vote, and it will be going to Barack Obama again.

TNTHOMSON
TNTHOMSON 02/21/12 - 12:02 pm
Someone said in Obama's first

Someone said in Obama's first term Obama was acting 'white' and his second term he'll let his 'standup black' govern.

But really..... is George W. Bush responsible for these high (and going higher) gas prices? Who would've known ol' George and his big oil buddies would/could conspire to get gas prices so high in order to hurt Obama's reelection chances. {Like anything is going to stop destiny!}

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/21/12 - 04:15 pm
SeenIt, don't think you are

SeenIt, don't think you are special. Check my mail. Heh, heh, heh. I have it on good authority there were about 1000.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/12 - 04:16 pm
The Deaf Wife Problem Tom

The Deaf Wife Problem

Tom feared his wife Peg wasn't hearing as well as she used to and he thought she might need a hearing aid.

Not quite sure how to approach her, he called the family Doctor to discuss the problem.

The Doctor told him there is a simple informal test the husband could perform to give the Doctor a better idea about her hearing loss.

'Here's what you do,' said the Doctor, 'stand about 40 feet away from her, and in a normal conversational speaking tone see if she hears you. If not, go to 30 feet, then 20 feet, and so on until you get a r esponse.'

That evening, the wife is in the kitchen cooking dinner, and he was In the den. He says to himself, 'I'm about 40 feet away, let's see what h appens. ' Then in a normal tone he asks, 'Honey, what's for dinner?'

No response..

So the husband moves closer to the kitchen, about 30 feet from his wife and repeats, 'Peg, what's for dinner?'

Still no response.

Next he moves into the dining room where he is about 20 feet from his Wife and asks, 'Honey, what's for dinner?'

Again he gets no response.

So, he walks up to the kitchen door, about 10 feet away. 'Honey, what's for dinner?'

Again there is no response.

So he walks right up behind her. 'Peg, what's for dinner?'

(I just love this)

'For Gods sake, for the FIFTH time, CHICKEN!'

hahah...I love this joke!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/12 - 04:23 pm
I'm going to feel "special"

I'm going to feel "special" anyway..........so there...

allhans
allhans 02/21/12 - 04:55 pm
The New York Post reported

The New York Post reported Sunday that, as their unemployment checks run out, many of the nation's long-term unemployed are compensating by filing claims of mental illness and other disabilities to obtain Social Security benefits.

KSL
KSL 02/21/12 - 06:45 pm
Totally disgusting. It's

Totally disgusting. It's obvious they don't want to work.

sawgrass
sawgrass 02/21/12 - 07:47 pm
What is a straight-up black

What is a straight-up black man?

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...