Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THUMBS DOWN TO Madonna being the halftime show entertainment. I’m glad when she disappeared in a puff of smoke.

WHY CAN’T SOMETHING be done about River Glen Apartments? Is there anyone listening?

EGYPT IS GOING to put Americans in jail. Americans should stay home and keep their noses out of other people’s business. Whether nonprofit or whatever, other countries don’t think like we do. Stay home. Do-gooders end up dead-gooders.

THE FLAT TAX IS a fair tax. Even drug dealers, users and crooks will pay their tax. They will have no choice; that’s what I like about it.

AUGUSTA IS NOT SAFE. When will something be done about all the criminals on the streets? The commissioners need to fix crime instead of always fighting and bullying one another.

IF YOU WANT my breakfast business, you should give a senior discount. It’s the right thing to do.

IN REGARD TO the bus service being privatized, I see no change in it whatsoever. The only advantage I see in it being privatized is that it keeps the city from having to discontinue service.

SHOTS FIRED, another murder victim. No one saw a thing. Same old thing. It looks like some people just don’t want to help themselves or their neighborhood.

IF PEOPLE ARE renting in Hyde Park, that means they chose to live there. They should not get relocation money.

AFTER LOOKING AT last Saturday’s front-page picture of the shooting at River Glen Apartments, it’s not hard to figure out why there is so much violence at the complex. What an ironic tribute – empty beer and liquor bottles!

STOP BUILDING homes in Columbia County and start building them in south Richmond County. They have lots of nice land and can use more schools and tax base.

IT MAKES SENSE to have occasional controlled fires to burn off excess fuel in the woods at Fort Gordon. That said, why must the government always come up with absurd reasons for doing something? Can they name one truly “endangered” species in those woods? In real war, are the woods where battles are fought always cleaned up before the battle to “make the area accessible”?

seenitB4 02/17/12 - 08:18 pm
The rant says AUGUSTA IS NOT

The rant says

That is a mouthfull.

seenitB4 02/17/12 - 08:21 pm
Big problem in Augusta SHOTS

Big problem in Augusta

no one saw a thing...

sawgrass
sawgrass 02/17/12 - 09:06 pm
Thank you seenitB4. Saturday

Thank you seenitB4. Saturday is my birthday. Being 56 years young and living in Augusta all of my life, I feel sorry for our children being raised in this society.

countyman
20129
countyman 02/18/12 - 03:42 am
They're already building new

They're already building new homes and neighborhoods throughout South Richmond County.. The majority are in the Hephzibah zipcode of South Augusta(Manchester at Diamond Lakes, South Hampton, Lakes at Spirit Creek, The Orchard, Walton Farms etc)... The Lakes at Spirit Creek off Willis Foreman start in the 190's.. Two brand new neighborhoods are coming(Sadie Landing on Peach Orchard btw Rosier and Tobacco & Spring Creek Village on Willis Foreman) to South Augusta. Due to empty acres of land, and the Plant Vogtle expansion in Burke County.. The new housing will spread to the city limits of Hephzibah(i.e the Spirit Pointe expansion), Blythe, and the Mcbean area of South Augusta.. Million dollar homes are occupied in the city limits of Hephzibah thanks to Plant Vogtle..

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/18/12 - 04:48 am
I'm sorry but if I had a

I'm sorry but if I had a choice of building a home in Columbia County vs. South Richmond County I would pick Columbia County every time. Why? Less crime, less crime and less crime!

HOWWWWWWDDDDDEEEEEE !!!!! Seenit, Mornin' River and Willow and everyone else whose posting!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/18/12 - 05:56 am
Hey Charleston Jumbo Sized

Hey Charleston Jumbo Sized Shrimp. Hey, to Seenit and the others, too. Are they building million dollar homes in Hephzibah? I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just curious about them.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/18/12 - 06:11 am
If y'all think I'm getting up

If y'all think I'm getting up THIS early and staying up on a Saturday, you're crazy. This is only to shake off the bad dreams, clear my stopped up nose, drink a cup of coffee and read a magazine in the bathroom.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/18/12 - 06:13 am
Anybody seen Nick Nolte

Anybody seen Nick Nolte recently? He fell into some kind of horror film role where he suddenly aged about 190 years. I kind of feel sorry for him in that Showtime series. Heck, I feel sorry for myself sometimes, too.

seenitB4 02/18/12 - 06:34 am
WEll someone is bushy tailed

WEll someone is bushy tailed this am...good am RM..

Maybe countyman will be nice enough to give us a link of the $1million homes.......a pic perhaps......not saying it isn't true---because I know some big buck folks in that area......they don't look it but they have it!

seenitB4 02/18/12 - 06:36 am
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAWGRASS...:)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAWGRASS...:)

seenitB4 02/18/12 - 06:40 am
Have you ever noticed that

Have you ever noticed that you can't tell the wealth of a good ole boy---
they might walk around in overalls & tattered shirts but their bank accounts would SHOCK you.
But on the otherhand some city boys would wear Armani suits -drive a fancy car & not have peanuts.....just saying you can't judge a book by its cover.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/18/12 - 06:49 am
SeenIt, where I work I can

SeenIt, where I work I can tell the mid-level administrators because they are the ones who dress up. I get on the elevator with one of them and I know he's a peon. The real players everything revolves around are very casual and unassuming.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/18/12 - 06:52 am
SeenIt, yeah, these million

SeenIt, yeah, these million dollar Hephzibah homes Countyman keeps talking about are starting to bother me. Heh, heh. I have to see one of them. I get the idea it may be like the Gypsies in Edgefield. You know huge houses kind of out of place in the neighborhood.

seenitB4 02/18/12 - 06:56 am
When you have it you don't

When you have it you don't have to flaunt it..:)

I think maybe the millioin dollar pricetag is coming from land value also....timber also......but you know all about timber, don't ya!

Watch the elevators though.....you know what Austin said could happen in tight quarters......no running from it he said.:)

seenitB4 02/18/12 - 06:57 am
I can't even spell million

I can't even spell million this am.....I wonder why?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/18/12 - 07:08 am
Ha, you are probably right.

Ha, you are probably right. The million dollar value includes the 200 acres of timber around it.

scgator
scgator 02/18/12 - 07:10 am
IF YOU WANT my breakfast

I am a senior and both my wife and I depend on Social Security for our total income; WHY would you think a business "needs" to give you a discount? Usually when I hear a comment like this the person is either a cheapskate or is someone who doesn't handle their money very well. My wife and are just bought a new car this week and only have social security income..........just sayin' you can make it work with planning and discipline.

seenitB4 02/18/12 - 07:12 am

Someone (on here) said I could find a song about everything..heh I just did .....a million ways..:)

scgator
scgator 02/18/12 - 07:16 am
...been involved with flea

...been involved with flea markets for over 40 years; it would surprise you the number of "real" millionaires who work the flea market. They certainly don't need the money...............they simply enjoy what they are doing. I personally know people who are working assembly line jobs in our area who are highly educated; one even has an earned doctorate. WHY? ....they got tired of all the "garbage" caused by climbing the ladder.

seenitB4 02/18/12 - 07:17 am
scgator...you are sooo

scgator...you are sooo right.....folks would be surprised to know some facts about posters on here.....very educated btw & just enjoy jawing with others on here.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/18/12 - 07:19 am
SCGator, yep, lots of people

SCGator, yep, lots of people like that.

SeenIt, I listened to the love song and watched the video of the woman riding the horse. I started to feel strange attractions for the horse.

seenitB4 02/18/12 - 07:22 am
I think the love was all

I think the love was all about the beautiful horse....I've loved animals all of my life.
They always love you back....even when you don't deserve it.

seenitB4 02/18/12 - 07:26 am
Who would THINK that shrimp

Who would THINK that shrimp has 2 Masters.....smart seafood we are posting amongst....:)

seenitB4 02/18/12 - 08:02 am
The article said... "I think

The article said...

"I think in the next couple days, we could start to see some serious erosion with respect for female support for Santorum in the Republican primary," he said. "And that is a short-term challenge for him as we head into Michigan and beyond. But secondarily, one of my big questions is, Could he compete aggressively against President Obama if he's upside down on the gender line?"

The best thing the Reps can do is STOP talking about birth control---zip it-zip it--zip it!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/18/12 - 09:20 am
Yea seenit but I also have

Yea seenit but I also have $60,000 in studnt loans to pay back. Hey it was at $90,000 ten yars ago.
I may have to start looking for a real job soon.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/18/12 - 09:28 am
I agree seenit. I couldn't

I agree seenit. I couldn't believe an article that he was in this morning. He thinks that all forms of birth control are wrong even between married couples. Sex should be for procreation only.

Then why did God make it feel so good?

Another thing is that he is against abortion of rape and incest victims. He used to be for it but has changed. Only a man could be AGAINST an abortion that was the result of the victim's rape or incest. The key words here is VICTIM. Can you imagine making a woman walk around for nine months knowing that the baby growing in her womb was the result of a violent and dispicable act?

Only a Man could tell a woman she has to deal with it.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/18/12 - 09:29 am
sawgrass, I have lived in

sawgrass, I have lived in Augusta since 1966 but I'm very close to your age. It would be pretty amazing if some of us actually are acquainted with each other and don't know it because of our screen names. Since another poster wished you a happy birthday, I'll trust that that is true and wish you one, too. BTW, I suggest to Augusta Citizens they start reporting EVERYTHING suspicious and getting at least a miscellaneous report on it with a case # on it and following up as witnesses, if the situation ends up requiring it, otherwise things are just going to keep getting worse. Law enforcement can not do it alone. Citizens must help. Otherwise the whole county is going to end up like River Glen, and it very nearly IS!

seenitB4 02/18/12 - 09:46 am
shrimp...I've always heard if

shrimp...I've always heard if men carried the babies/pregnant etc. our laws would be soooo different.....I 100% agree with that.

Birth control will be the downfall of the Rep. party----I hope they can get it together B4 it's too late.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/18/12 - 09:54 am
Ok folks, the kids are all

Ok folks, the kids are all over at friend's houses, the wife is fast asleep and will be until at least 11 o'clock soooooo, I am going to cook bacon, grits, buscuits, eggs, sausage gravy (can). Then I'm going to cut the TV on and watch the Big Bang Theory which I have taped from the other night.
I had a dental procedure yesterday and my dentist gave me two prescriptions to fill. One is an antibiotic and the other one is Tylenol 3 with codiene. What's weird is it didn't hurt yesterday and I was thinking I've got it made and then this morning the pain has been growing. I haven't taken a pill yet. I'm going to see how much longer I can hold out. If I remember correctly Tylenol 3 works really good so I know that I can cut off the pain if it gets too bad!

seenitB4 02/18/12 - 09:54 am