Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS FOR THE mothers who leave their children in the playground area of the new Columbia County park and go walking around the track. They are leaving their most prized possessions. Someone could just come in and take their children. Please, mothers, don’t leave your children there.

COMMERCIALS these days are being made by children for children to watch.

A BIG RAVE TO a lady at the Circle K on Furys Ferry Rd. When I asked for directions to a school for my grandson’s basketball game, she not only gave me directions, she took me there and I followed her. It was a wonderful gesture. There are still nice people in this world.

THANK GOD FOR Michelle Malkin. She is right on the money.

I LIVE IN HARLEM, GA. Thank God that we are free in this country. Imagine how it is in Iran and China and places you can’t even call the Rants & Raves.

A RAVE FOR pharmacist Brent at Barney’s in Wrens for being so nice and understanding to his customers.

IF YOU ARE GOING to be out and about in a situation where you don’t feel safe, buy some pepper spray. It’s not very expensive and they come in cute little cases. You can keep them on your pocket book or in your pocket.

SEN. MCCARTHY SAID the U.S. State Department was “riddled with Communists.” Liberals and the media attacked McCarthy, who, as it turns out, was absolutely right. The problem has grown; look at our present government.

WE CAN FIGHT LIKE mad to help the president lead our nation toward economic fairness. Or we can let Newt and Mitt seize the White House and Congress - and hand it over to the 1 percent.

RANT TO CLUB CAR for the layoffs. Never would have happened with a union.

Comments (67)

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/16/12 - 10:18 am

Good morning, Willow. Shrimp,

Good morning, Willow.

Shrimp, then you were a good athlete playing short and batting third.

Okay, folks, I have to do a few things this morning. Tomorrow we'll have to pick another city to discuss. Willow is finally here and she can take up the slack for me.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/16/12 - 10:20 am

Shrimp, nope...no Jeremiah

Shrimp, nope...no Jeremiah memories. Was that you? Refresh my memory. Later.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/16/12 - 10:21 am

shrimp for breakfast, Little

shrimp for breakfast, Little Lamb is correct; just log in again through the pop up or through GET DIGITAL near the top of every page. We occasionally upgrade the site and everyone has to log in again.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/16/12 - 10:22 am

Yea River even the cadets

Yea River even the cadets didn't practice there. They had a field on campus where we would watch them as kids.
Man going to Citadel games was a big part of my childhood.
Then they found bodies buried under the west stands. Even guys who died in one of the HUnley sinkings. I tell people that all of Charleston is a virtual cemetary!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/16/12 - 10:23 am

Thanks Sean! Youz the man!

Thanks Sean! Youz the man!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/16/12 - 10:23 am

Thank you too Little lamb!

Thank you too Little lamb!

Willow Bailey
20240
Willow Bailey 02/16/12 - 10:26 am

For all the Charleston lovers...
Ya'll have a great day.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/16/12 - 10:39 am

Headlines in AJC... Charters

Headlines in AJC...

Charters lag behind traditional schools---SAY WHAT??
New rule will rein in robocalls...they can ring but only if you give ok..
Sunshine laws may get 1st revision in years...
Georgia ranks 4th in foreclosure filings..

Lots to do today.....have a good one!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/16/12 - 10:45 am

Shrimp for Breakfast

Shrimp for Breakfast wrote:

Man going to Citadel games was a big part of my childhood.

Hey, did you guys know that they filmed one of those two-hour Columbo TV movies at the Citadel back in the seventies? It is a great movie, title By Dawn’s Early Light. You get to see inside the chapel, the mess hall, a dorm room (no air conditioning), and several other places. One scene has them disciplining a cadet by having him scrub a large outdoor area (red and white squares) with a toothbrush. It is available on DVD and is worth looking for if you love the Citadel.

Now the movie is set as a military academy for boys in California, so they carefully fixed the camera angles so they avoided the unmistakable tops of the buildings, but it is the Citadel no doubt. One of the plot angles was that the chairman of the board of trustees was making plans to convert the school from military boys school to civilian co-ed. They were predicting the future.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/16/12 - 10:48 am

Seen it exclaimed: Charters

Seen it exclaimed:

Charters lag behind traditional schools---SAY WHAT??

That is the deal with Charter Schools — they get exempted from a lot of the No Child Left Behind rigamarole. They get to set their own performance criteria and do not have to meet what the state sets.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/16/12 - 11:05 am

Little Lamb I remember it

Little Lamb I remember it well! It was 1974! They had Columbo's beat up grey car too!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 02/16/12 - 12:28 pm

I see y'all are still using

I see y'all are still using this as a chat room. How childlike. Good Morning seenit, willow, shrimp, riverman. I grew up in North Carolina near the town of Swansboro. It sounds like the same place you guys grew up. Kinda like the Alan Jackson song "Chattahochee", seems like I grew up on the same river in NC. Which ran to Swansboro.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/16/12 - 12:23 pm

Well I'll be a monkey's

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle! I've had the green screen block for weeks and tried everything. Logged out, logged in, scratched my, uh, face; and nothing worked. All I could do was stay logged out and read.

I had given up, assuming I had gotten on Sean's wrong side again.

daphne3520
daphne3520 02/16/12 - 12:23 pm

Last Rant, last

Last Rant, last sentence....ABSOLUTELY TRUE!!!!!!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/16/12 - 12:29 pm

True, because like some

True, because like some airlines and automobile companies, the unions would have bankrupted them by now.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 02/16/12 - 12:30 pm

Last rant, last sentence.

Last rant, last sentence. Nope the union wouldn't have allowed the layoffs. They would have let the company loose more money leading to closure of the plant and all would be with out a job.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/16/12 - 12:41 pm

itsanotherday, your profile

itsanotherday, your profile log in (near the top right of the home page) is entirely separate from the PressPlus subscription log in. You can be logged in under your screen name but not be logged in for your subscription. This confuses many people, but since a third-party company handles our subscriptions, we have no way to merge the two. You can always send me an email if you are having problems. sean.moores@augustachronicle.com

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/16/12 - 12:50 pm

My earlier problem with the

My earlier problem with the green sign-in screen staying up is gone. Works great now.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/16/12 - 12:53 pm

"Economic fairness" sounds

"Economic fairness" sounds like something a wave of Red Chinese soldiers would be screaming as they attacked the capitalist pig Americans.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/16/12 - 01:00 pm

Riverman, I spoke to

Riverman, I spoke to PressPlus about that. They had pushed through an upgrade of their software that obviously had some unintended problems. They removed the upgrade until they could figure out what was causing it. I'm glad it's fixed.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 02/16/12 - 01:05 pm

Why does every forced upgrade

Why does every forced upgrade have "problems we never intended"?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/16/12 - 01:16 pm

"I’M A DISABLED veteran from

"I’M A DISABLED veteran from the Vietnam era, and I had to buy my own house. I’ve been living on disability for half my life. How about the rest of us disabled veterans? How about giving me a house?"

Shame on you, Vietnam era Veteran! If you have received disability for half your life, you should know that each case is different. You should read up on why this Veteran has been offered a "free" home.

I'm all for wounded and disabled Veterans receiving what they are entitled to. This wounded Veteran has no chance at total rehabilitation. As a 100% Disabled Vietnam Veteran, I have no problem with this wounded, disabled Veteran receiving a new home!

BamaMan
BamaMan 02/16/12 - 02:18 pm

I can't believe in this day

I can't believe in this day and time, a parent would leave a child ANYWHERE alone anymore! Columbia County may be alittle safer than some places, but geez people, child molesters are all around us, including Columbia County as you all should know by now, just waiting for a small window to snatch your child. Please parents, God gave you children to take care of them. Please do!

fftaz71
fftaz71 02/16/12 - 02:26 pm

I love Chucktown...its cool

I love Chucktown...its cool to hear some of the history behind it!! To the Union ranter...I worked at a non-union factory up north where I had awesome benefits, decent pay and lots of voluntary opportunities for OT but we never worked mandatory OT. Valeo, a union shop, closed up there..we took on a lot of their employees. All they did was whine about conditions and how they needed to form a union. Tell me...what did their union do for them? They werent laid off, but they didnt have jobs either. I see a place for unions, I really do. There are some professions that absolutely NEED that voice...but I believe those are professions who's jobs/benefits are at the will of the government in charge. They need someone who will stand up for them when the new regime says this is crazy...cut it. Factories?? Im not so sure. Unions today have driven up prices to the end user and sometimes lose their perspectives. At the same time, the unions of the days of yesteryear are the reason we workers have so many protections under the labor laws. I cannot say I am either for or against unions across the board...just that they arent always the answer.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/16/12 - 02:27 pm

Personally, I think it's

Personally, I think it's being too paranoid to think a mother can't walk around her children playing in a playground like it is there. I mean anything is possible, but goodness, we can't live our lives in complete fear.

Willow Bailey
20240
Willow Bailey 02/16/12 - 02:59 pm

I'd rather be a little on the

I'd rather be a little on the paranoid side than to take any risk losing my baby. Too much distance around that park to leave little ones playing unattended. Now, if responsible moms (that you know) want to take turns watching; that could work.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 02/16/12 - 05:22 pm

shrimp - on that report about

shrimp - on that report about Fort Knox - did they say if the gold was REALLY still there??

Riverrunner30909
Riverrunner30909 02/16/12 - 05:53 pm

The only thing unions are

The only thing unions are good for in this economy is to cost the companies so darn much money in stupid lawsuits and arbitration boards and unreal benefits that is causes the company to go belly up and everyone loses there job. Remember the old phrase, "you can not get blood from a turnip". The best thing for unions to do is go away.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/16/12 - 07:09 pm

anotherday...I'm glad you are

anotherday...I'm glad you are able to join us again....:)

I just heard that Mitt & Rick won't debate in Ga. sssooo they cancelled the thing...guess who has Ga tied up...The Newt...
I hate it when the polls think they know how folks will vote.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/16/12 - 07:35 pm

Truly...Maybe shrimp will

Truly...Maybe shrimp will tell us tomorrow about the gold at Ft Knox.....like ...is it there.....:)

bye

Judge denies request to delay sales tax vote

A superior court judge denied a request Wednesday from a Richmond County citizen seeking a court order to postpone the May 20 special purpose local option sales tax referendum.