Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS FOR THE mothers who leave their children in the playground area of the new Columbia County park and go walking around the track. They are leaving their most prized possessions. Someone could just come in and take their children. Please, mothers, don’t leave your children there.

COMMERCIALS these days are being made by children for children to watch.

A BIG RAVE TO a lady at the Circle K on Furys Ferry Rd. When I asked for directions to a school for my grandson’s basketball game, she not only gave me directions, she took me there and I followed her. It was a wonderful gesture. There are still nice people in this world.

THANK GOD FOR Michelle Malkin. She is right on the money.

I LIVE IN HARLEM, GA. Thank God that we are free in this country. Imagine how it is in Iran and China and places you can’t even call the Rants & Raves.

A RAVE FOR pharmacist Brent at Barney’s in Wrens for being so nice and understanding to his customers.

I’M A DISABLED veteran from the Vietnam era, and I had to buy my own house. I’ve been living on disability for half my life. How about the rest of us disabled veterans? How about giving me a house?

IF YOU ARE GOING to be out and about in a situation where you don’t feel safe, buy some pepper spray. It’s not very expensive and they come in cute little cases. You can keep them on your pocket book or in your pocket.

SEN. MCCARTHY SAID the U.S. State Department was “riddled with Communists.” Liberals and the media attacked McCarthy, who, as it turns out, was absolutely right. The problem has grown; look at our present government.

RANT TO CLUB CAR for the layoffs. Never would have happened with a union.

augustarookie
augustarookie 02/15/12 - 11:54 pm
Unions do not stop layoffs.

Unions do not stop layoffs. Bad out weighs the good.

allhans
allhans 02/16/12 - 04:42 am
"WE CAN FIGHT LIKE mad to

"WE CAN FIGHT LIKE mad to help the president lead our nation toward economic fairness. Or we can let Newt and Mitt seize the White House and Congress - and hand it over to the 1 percent."

Somebody is not paying attention. Obama is in full campaign mode and promising (NOT giving) the world right now so he can get re-elected. He laid out a blueprint, called a "budget" - not an actual plan - for building roads, like the interstate through Augusta, uh-huh. This would be paid for with gasoline taxes. (Prices are not high enough already?)
Three years ago he asked for billions to rebuild bridges, he got the money and it went to the top 1% (his fairness plan seen here). No bridges have been rebuilt.
Give him 4 more years, he can be as lazy as he says he is and take a long rest in Hawaii..he will have no more reason to campaign.

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 02/16/12 - 07:21 am
Please define "economic

Please define "economic fairness"?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/16/12 - 07:34 am
Ya'll do know that joke about

Ya'll do know that joke about bears & pepper spay don't you...heh..I'll look for it this am...
HOWDY ...(just for shrimp)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/16/12 - 07:36 am
Yeh Harlem.......we can come

Yeh Harlem.......we can come on here & make folks mad or sad....just depends on what way the wind blows..

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/16/12 - 07:40 am

If you emailed me yesterday...this song is for you...all of ya'll!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/16/12 - 08:14 am
Yep.....you just get in

Yep.....you just get in trouble in Atlanta...:)

Scarlett: Atlanta!
Mammy: Savannah would be better for ya. You'd just get in trouble in Atlanta.
Scarlett: What trouble are you talking about?
Mammy: You know what trouble I's talkin' 'bout. I's talking 'bout Mr. Ashley Wilkes. He'll be comin' to Atlanta when he gets his leave, and you sittin' there waitin' for him, just like a spider. He belongs to Miss Melanie...
Scarlett: You go pack my things like Mother said.

Rhett Butler: With enough courage, you can do without a reputation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/16/12 - 08:24 am
I don't need no stinking

I don't need no stinking reputation.

Seenit, good morning. I hope the dental work is still painless today.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/16/12 - 08:29 am
Don't worry RM....you don't

Don't worry RM....you don't have no stinking one...heheh

I'm not painless......some tell me I'm a real pain....most of the time.

Great am to you ....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/16/12 - 08:41 am
The National Park Rangers are

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

A little chuckle .....

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/16/12 - 09:05 am
Down South we wouldn't have a

Down South we wouldn't have a bear problem. We all carry guns when we're in the woods. None of this hiking with a butterfly net or something. See a bear a hundred yards away and he's a goner. Looked like he was being aggressive to me.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/16/12 - 09:22 am
HOWDY Seenit, Mornin' River

HOWDY Seenit, Mornin' River and Willow and everyone else!
I'm watching the history channel about fort knox. pretty cool!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/16/12 - 09:28 am
Shrimp, good morning. Hey, I

Shrimp, good morning. Hey, I have it figured out about Folly Beach and me. I think I drowned out there when I was about 16 and never progressed past those years. Only, you, being a writer would understand such a comment. Well, maybe SeenIt, too.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/16/12 - 09:38 am
Yeh...something tells me you

Yeh...something tells me you were not alone when that drowning was going on....yep.....I could write a book about THAT!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/16/12 - 09:41 am
Funny about you 2.....you are

Funny about you 2.....you are both from Charleston---both have names
connected with water.
Both are writers....are yall brothers?.......wouldn't that be something if you were connected in some way...

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/16/12 - 09:47 am
Yep River I think I did too!

Yep River I think I did too! I remember one time playing music with a friend of mine at a wedding at a house on the beach. I guess I wa about 19. Any way about a week later my friend and I were walking down East Cooper st when a police car pulled up next to us. We were carrying Big paper cups full of beer which was toatally legal. You just couldn't have bottles or cans. ANYWAY the cop rolls his window down and says "Hey didn't you guy's play at Louie's wedding?" We said yea and also remembered how the goom went around the room throwing joints to every one. Columbian Gold of the 1970's. The cop asked us if we need a ride so we hopped in and this started a 2 year friendship with "Steve" A folly beach cop who smoked pot. Let me tell you something. There is no paranoia whatsoever riding around in a police car on the beach while smoking a joint!
Of course I haven't smoked pot since the early 80's the 70's were one of a kind!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/16/12 - 09:55 am
SeenIt, all Charlestonians

SeenIt, all Charlestonians are inbred. We're probably related.

Shirmp..LOL..great story about the Folly Beach cop. Yeah, I remember how they were.

Speaking of my love of Folly, when I was looking for a house on the river here 13 years ago, I came upon this old place with a sort of nautical theme. The old guy who owned it had placed the big ship rope with pier like poles by the driveway and had these big palmetto tree growing all over the place. I loved it immediately because it reminded me of Charleston so much.

I get to talking with him and he grew up on James Island and his nautical them was a reminder to him of Charleston, too. He had a painting on the wall of the old Folly Pier which I immediately recognized. I told him I'd buy the house if he threw the painting in on the deal. He did. Here I am.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/16/12 - 09:55 am
"There is no paranoia

"There is no paranoia whatsoever riding around in a police car on the beach while smoking a joint!"

That line deserves repeating. LOL

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/16/12 - 09:58 am
Yea River when I gave

Yea River when I gave Carriage tours I used to say Pinckney's have been marrying Pinckney's for over 300 years!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/16/12 - 09:59 am
RM said.... SeenIt, all

RM said....

SeenIt, all Charlestonians are inbred. We're probably related.

Well that explains it....you both are warm & fuzzy to me...kiss to both!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/16/12 - 10:01 am
I loved fishing on the old

I loved fishing on the old Folly pier. Good fishing!
I can't stand the new one. Too crowded, too many tourists asking you stupid questions and the fishing sucks.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/16/12 - 10:03 am
That intermarrying thing with

That intermarrying thing with the downtown Charlestonians used to bother me when I was young. I had heard about birth defects and all from such practices and used to carefully, almost medically, observe the girls who went to Rivers and Charleston High Schools. I just new those with the Geechee accents had something wrong with them that would show up genetically or something.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/16/12 - 10:03 am
Hey guys the GREEN SCREEN is

Hey guys the GREEN SCREEN is appearing telling me I need to subscribe.! They've taken out $2.95 twice this month already and now this. Hey Sean what do I do?

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/16/12 - 10:05 am
Hey River I went to

Hey River I went to Charleston High School
The Bantams!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/16/12 - 10:11 am
Yeah, but y'all had to

Yeah, but y'all had to combine schools to have a football team. Heh.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/16/12 - 10:14 am
Being a Charlestonian (always

Being a Charlestonian (always stays with you) one of the things that bothered me about Conroy's book, SOB, was the scene where the kids would go work out at Johnson Hagood Stadium. Like they would let just anyone go there and play on the fields. I found several things like that. He should have called me to edit for him.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/16/12 - 10:15 am
I've gotten the GREEN SCREEN

I've gotten the GREEN SCREEN a few times, too, Shrimp. What has worked for me is just to login with username and password from the green screen.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 02/16/12 - 10:16 am
Good Morning Shrimp. Good

Good Morning Shrimp.
Good Morning River..
Good Morning et al...

Glad you enjoyed the song so much River & Jane18....

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/16/12 - 10:16 am
yep but when I went there

yep but when I went there footall was nonexistant. 71-76 8thgrade thru 12th. I played Tennis and we had a baseball team my seinor year which I played Short stop and batted third. We lost more than we won though.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/16/12 - 10:17 am
Hey River do you remember a

Hey River do you remember a guitar player named Jeremiah?

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.