Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

SO THE RCBOE wants to have 12-15 furlough days next school year? Despite wasting millions on instructional and grad coaches, paraprofessionals, board employees and useless assessments, they still claim to be broke and want the teachers to pay for it. They are going to run their good teachers to Columbia County.

THE UNITED STATES recently said it would pull “7,000” troops out of Europe in an effort to save about $480 billion over the next 10 years. How about bringing the troops home and tell Europe to stop depending on the foreign aid we need here in America!

CAN ANYONE TELL us what happened to the Democratic Party? When I was a junior in high school, newly elected President Kennedy famously said: “Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country!” Now the current president is encouraging people to do just the opposite.

THE COUNTY IS SO worried about people breathing in secondhand smoke, yet they have been subjecting us to days of burning trees that they have been clearing. The smell is overwhelming, and the air looks like a fog has settled over the neighborhood. Time to knock it off!

I’M SO HAPPY TO hear that Roseanne Barr is running for president. Once she releases her financial records, everyone will know she is a 1-percenter! I’m wondering if she’ll willingly offer her neck to the guillotine.

IT IS AMAZING THAT the stock market and jobs are on the rebound in spite of Obama’s anti-capitalism czars and anti-business executive orders.

ADOPTION IS ABSOLUTELY wonderful, and God bless those who adopt a child or children. But I can’t help but wonder why children from other countries are considered before children in the United States. Think of all the children in our country who are desperate for love, compassion, home, food, clothing and an opportunity for a better life. This is just my opinion, and I realize I have to respect the decisions and business of others. Again, God bless those who adopt.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/15/12 - 05:49 am
1st Rant.... I absolutely

1st Rant.... I absolutely agree with you. I can't believe RCBOE keeps wasting money on ridiculous things and then end up punishing the teachers for their bueraucratic stupidity.
My wife is a teacher with 2 masters degrees and she's getting fed up and I don't blame her. She vows this is her last year teaching in Richmond County.
Good luck finding quality teachers in the future Richmond County.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/15/12 - 05:51 am
By the way howdy Seenit,

By the way howdy Seenit, River and everyone else!
I'm first.
I win.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/15/12 - 05:51 am
To the first ranter...of the

To the first ranter...of the group you say money is being wasted on, the only one I take exception to are the paraprofessionals. You just don't understand how much they are needed in the system. When the class sizes are being forced to increase in numbers, the teacher has to have someone to help him/her in overseeing all those students. We're talking elementary-age kids here..actually K-2, maybe 3rd grade also. It's like herding cats in there!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/12 - 06:08 am
What did you win shrimp??

What did you win shrimp?? heh.....Howdy

Remember Minnie Pearl on the Grand Ole Opry.....she said Howdy & she was sooo proud to be there....I always liked her....have ya ever noticed some folks are just likable when you first meet them....you are like that shrimp..
Good am CSRA!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/12 - 06:12 am
Yesterday my dear GOB lost me

Yesterday my dear GOB lost me in Sams .....lost me he said....couldn't find me he said....what!!-----I don't know what he was doing but I'm watching him now.....:)
The place wasn't crowded----I think he was looking at puters or some kind of expensive electronics/stuff.....he has 2 now.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/12 - 06:15 am
1st rant...yeh I would be

1st rant...yeh I would be hopping mad too...12 to 15 days w/o pay...while Augusta plays the fiddle downtown....give me a break....I'm surprised people aren't in the streets in downtown.....ya know whatta mean....it has really gotten ugly with the waste of $$$$.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/12 - 06:18 am
Is it too late to take the

Is it too late to take the $$$ back from the CVB & give it to the teachers??

What's a million or so.....well our bad boys will be on here soon..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/12 - 06:34 am
dichotomy
dichotomy 02/15/12 - 08:25 am
"THE PEOPLE OF south Augusta

"THE PEOPLE OF south Augusta are getting mighty tired of paying more for garbage service than the glorified city folk. Millions to Laney-Walker. Zip to south Augusta."

Hey look. Someone else finally noticed. There was never any true "consolidation". They have treated suburban and rural residents differently since day one. They value our property differently. They changed the zoning on our land solely for the reason to charge us more taxes (certainly not because of any residential development ). And we pay more for their forced garbage service when most of us had private haulers doing it for half what they charge. The difference is called profit or revenue stream for the City. None of the promised "savings" from consolidation came to pass. We have less road maintenance, less services, and less police protection. The only thing they consolidated was our tax money downtown. Consolidation is, and has been for 16 years, an unholy union for suburban and rural residents. There has been unequal treatment, unequal taxation, and unequal fees from day one. All we are is a transfusion of cash for the City and a place to relocate their Section 8. Take a drive around the south end and see the results of the stewardship of the downtown politicians and money men (our unelected power brokers). Look at the deteriorating neighborhoods, the lack of retail shopping, and closed restaurants. About the only things left are nail salons, mom and pop oriental restaurants, and dollar stores. Oh yeh, we still do have a Big Lots and a Lowes if you can get in and out of them without being robbed.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/15/12 - 08:35 am
HOOOOOOWWWWWWDDDEEEEE!!!

HOOOOOOWWWWWWDDDEEEEE!!! Seenit. I remember Minnie Pearl had the price tag hanging from her hat. For some reason I found that hilarious!

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 02/15/12 - 08:37 am
- Teachers who want change

- Teachers who want change for the better need to man up and run for board seats.

- People adopt foreign children for many reasons, not the least of which is the red tape and expense involved here in the States is staggering.

- Kennedy's America is gone. Our America is Balkanizing socially because we have no true leadership who honors the ties that bind, such as a common language, our Constitution, etc. Sad.

- Trees need clearing; wood burns to ash, which is easier/cheaper to dispose of.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/12 - 08:42 am
Frankie...You are right..we

Frankie...You are right..we are missing some true leadership....wish we had it....but no one has stepped up to the plate in the last years.....

Yeh hi shrimp......or HOWDY......have a dental appt. soon & the dang oiffice is down off 285 in Atlanta==traffic----gotta keep the teeth......once you lose them the rest won't be far behind....ya know whatta mean...hahah..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/12 - 08:55 am
shrimp said......wow I

shrimp said......wow

I graduated in 1976 and went on to college and graduated in 1980. Got my masters in 1983, and another one in 1986. I can't believe I miss school.......
DANG ...I knew you were smart....you are REALLY smart.:)

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/15/12 - 09:26 am
Then why do I feel so stupid?

Then why do I feel so stupid? My wife says I don't have much common sense.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/15/12 - 09:30 am
For the rant concerning

For the rant concerning adopting children here in the US vs. adopting children from foreign countries. One reason is there are not a lot of infants here in the US and most adults wish to adopt an infant. Adopting an older child or one with disabilities is very difficult, not only for the new families but for the child themselves. In the US there are a lot of older children available for adoption but most won’t consider adopting an older child because they don’t feel they can meet the needs of an older child.

Most children in America who are up for adoption live in foster homes and although it might not be a life of luxury they are at least in a home. There are standards for care here in the US but have you actually seen an orphanage in Africa. These kids live in warehouses with no standard of care, unwanted children are left abandon on the streets, and the chance for adoption could be the difference in life or death for the child.

There is also the issue with adopting in the US with the biological mother returning to claim her child or to go through the process only to back out at the last minute. Heart breaking for any couple who is anxiously waiting for the new addition. Foreign adoptions you don’t have that issue. There are many reasons why families choose international adoption but actually it shouldn’t matter, the end result is a child is receiving a loving, caring, home and parent/s.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 02/15/12 - 09:32 am
Good Morning, shrimp, tell

Good Morning, shrimp, tell your wife, that you appreciate hers and that you are gifted in other areas:)

Good Morning, et al.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 02/15/12 - 09:33 am
Someone please tell me how

Someone please tell me how my browser bar changed itself over night and how can I get it back the way it was?!!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 02/15/12 - 09:39 am
And ICL, we should also add

And ICL, we should also add that in the US over 1,200,000 potential adoptees are killed annually, rather than allowed to be adopted by parents who would love and raise them.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/12 - 09:41 am
That browser bar probably

That browser bar probably went out partying last night & now it is hung over....HI WB..

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/12 - 09:43 am
shrimp....lots of very smart

shrimp....lots of very smart folks don't have common sense...lol

You are lucky ---you have both.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 02/15/12 - 09:53 am
Could not agree more with the

Could not agree more with the adoption rant. A close friend passed on several years ago leaving a nine year old daughter who my own daughter and I had almost raised as her mother was in very bad health for years. The state decided I was too poor -my house not big enough and my income too small for them- and too old to be adopting, so the girl was placed in a foster mill, or rather a series of them, until she ran away at fourteen. The sytem did a desultory search, contacting me to see if I'd seen her, and then let the matter drop. Another DFACS success story.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/12 - 09:54 am
seeya ....Dentist is

seeya ....Dentist is calling.....I want to keepum.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/15/12 - 09:58 am
Willow, good morning from us

Willow, good morning from us et al's.

David Parker
David Parker 02/15/12 - 10:02 am
adoption good, low-balling

adoption good, low-balling teachers' salary bad

morning yall...top of it even!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/15/12 - 10:16 am
Mornin' Willow! Like seenit

Mornin' Willow!
Like seenit said, maybe your browser bar went to a browser bar last night and got all Googled. I wish I could help you but I have a yahoo browser bar and I have no idea how I got it. hehe

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 02/15/12 - 10:21 am
Riverman1
Riverman1 02/15/12 - 10:34 am
Willow, ah Beach Music...love

Willow, ah Beach Music...love it. Drinking beer on Folly Pier when I was 15 while hearing those great groups. First time I went to jail. Folly Beach had curfew at midnight and since I was only 15 they locked me up. Of course they ignored the fact I had been there buying beer all night. I could literally tell you one story after another about growing up going to the beach every week.

JRC2024
JRC2024 02/15/12 - 10:35 am
Rant 2-The US should insist

Rant 2-The US should insist that Europe play a big role in its security by paying the US its cost to keep troops there.
Rant 3-The democratic party for the most part has changed to the receivers and not the givers.
Dichotomy-maybe some of the Section 8 residents will move to the new area in Columbia County. I hope so and hope that you will feel a little safer.
Hello Willow, River, Seenit and everyone else.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/15/12 - 10:39 am
River I could do the same.

River I could do the same. For all I know we might have partied together. Do you remember a place called Monk's Corner which was on the corner or Center St. and Atlantic Ave.
I used to also hang out at the arcade alot. my friend and I would drink a six pack of Miller ponies and go play the games.
Ah to be 16 again!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/15/12 - 10:47 am
Shrimp, yep, I'm telling you

Shrimp, yep, I'm telling you everything important in my life happened to me at Folly Beach. We rarely went to the Isle of Palms. Yep, about Monk's Corner, but I also remember meeting these blonde twins from Monks Corner, the real town. But my best memories are of my principal's daughter. He was a great man. The problem was he had a penchant for suspending me from school. (They later named the school after him.) But his daugher liked me. I walked with her on the beach at night often. What a great girl for putting up with me back then.