Rants & Raves

WHY CONTINUE to post the salaries of various positions within the area on The Augusta Chronicle Web site? It does not put any money into my pocket and may just cause unnecessary ill feelings among a lot of folks. I wonder what the purpose of this practice is supposed to be.

THIS IS A RANT to Democrats. Which policy helps all people have more money to spend due to lower prices? Lower fuel prices, lower payroll taxes or weatherizing 1,600 homes? If you guessed lower fuel prices, congratulations, you are a Republican.

OBAMA IS ABUSING the First Amendment of the Constitution by wanting to take control and dominate a person’s religious beliefs.

I HAVE TO AGREE with the comments expressed in the article, “Restore old-school learning,” and that high-tech “toys” have totally taken over. But I have to disagree with eliminating paraprofessionals. They are very much needed and a tremendous help with so many students in a classroom.

THERE IS A fitness center on Washington Road causing hearing loss to its customers with extremely loud workout music.

CONGRATULATIONS to
students, teachers and
administrators of Ste­vens Creek Elementary for model performance in the 10th District.

COME ON, Chronicle. Showing a half-naked child at the burn center on the front of the Metro section? Do better.

THIS IS A RANT for the Columbia County Board of Education for allowing office staffers at an elementary school to be rude and unkind to children and parents. There ought to be a better standard for office staffers and secretaries to be held accountable.

HALF OF THESE local news broadcasts sound like they are in an echo chamber. They don’t turn their microphones on. If I wanted to watch a comedy show in the morning, I wouldn’t tune into the news.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/12 - 07:06 am
Last night this card came in

Last night this card came in the mail from my friend on Willis Foreman rd .

It has the same words I have for my friends on here......

I remember all we've been through together....the joys..the laughs & the tears..
You've been such special friend..& you've blessed me in many ways..
And as I think of our friendship ..my heart is filled with thanks

Thank you online friends & HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!

crackerjack
crackerjack 02/14/12 - 07:21 am
Happy Valentines Day to

Happy Valentines Day to everyone in the CSRA. From Ft. Desoto Campground, St. Petersburg Florida.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/12 - 07:56 am
The best post imo of

The best post imo of yesterday was

It's not the fringe right or fringe left, for that matter, who bother me. It's the fringe middle who don't know if they are communists or capitalists. All they do is try to find somebody to write on their page while the others on the fringe left and right are trying to change the world for what they believe is the better.

THAT bothers me too.....thanks RM.....fb is more important to some than the real problems all around us..

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/12 - 08:03 am
Good morning, Seenit. Thanks

Good morning, Seenit. Thanks for picking up on my post. Happy Valentine's Day to you and all the other lovely ladies of the AC.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/12 - 08:09 am
By the way, has anyone

By the way, has anyone noticed the Marriott-TEE has been given over a million dollars in the last week for marketing by the CVB and smoke handling? When does the insanity/malfeasance stop? The Commission never approved the $350 thousand the CVB has decided to use to market the Marriott-TEE. Is it now to the point where the Marriott-TEE will give free rent to any event as long as they rent their rooms? What a sweet deal for the Marriott-TEE.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/12 - 08:15 am
I'm going to use the name

I'm going to use the name Marriott-TEE when discussing the building because that's the only hotel it's going to help. Come to think of it, we are already paying the Marriott to manage the thing. As with the JB Arena management company doesn't that mean they also do their own marketing? Does this management contract not include marketing?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/12 - 08:32 am
RM...You are the best pot

RM...You are the best pot stirrer upper we have on here......if you ever go missing....I think we know where to look.

What buildings on Broad have a basement..btw??

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/14/12 - 09:29 am
Where is a story about the

Where is a story about the upgrades to the TEE Center ventilation system? I couldn't find it here this morning. I did find the following on the Channel 12 web site (excerpted):

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- Can you spare an extra $800,000? The Augusta Marriott says the new TEE Center does not quite meet their fire-safety standards. But some commissioners says it's just a bunch of hot air. "The discussion disgusts me quite frankly," said Commissioner Alvin Mason.

The project does not meet Marriott International standards when it comes to things like air circulation. The hotel wants $800,000 to install a fancy circulation system and tackle fire code concerns with the new TEE Center. The building currently meets state standards that call for air changes 2.5 times each hour. The Marriott wants eight air changes per hour. The system would cost more than $300,000.

"If that's what the Marriott wants, then the Marriott should pay for it," Mason said. "It should not come from taxpayer dollars. At some point they have got to stop licking on this particular lollipop because there is nothing else left."

Here is the link:

Lollipop

Running a ventilation system that changes air 8 times an hour that sits empty 99% of the time will cost a lot more than the $300,000 additional up-front cost. The power bills will be wasted because the convention center will be unoccupied much of the time.

Perhaps it makes sense for a hotel to change air eight times an hour. Hotels have rooms reserved for smoking, and they do a lot of cooking. The convention center will be non-smoking and it is a huge box. What am I missing?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/12 - 09:33 am
LL, it's buried in the story

LL, it's buried in the story about the transit company/commission meeting. See my earlier comments in the R and R and there.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 02/14/12 - 09:35 am
Where is a "heart" symbol

Where is a "heart" symbol when you need it?
Happy Valentines Day River, xxo:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/12 - 09:43 am
Tell me again....who said I

Tell me again....who said I was the flirt on here????

:):)---joking girl...

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/12 - 09:44 am
LLamb....we will look for you

LLamb....we will look for you in the same place they put RM..:)

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 02/14/12 - 09:54 am
Happy Valentines Day, to you,

Happy Valentines Day, to you, sweet girl, seenit!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/12 - 10:24 am
ok I'll try to get

ok I'll try to get serious....

Headlines in the AJC..
Plan ups spending hikes on the rich...
Explosive devices placed on cars in India & Georgia...(not this Ga)
Port of Sav. part of Obamas budget
Racy web posts put officers jobs at risk (they should learn from us heheh)
Justice Breyer robbed on vacation...(in the West indies) & here I was thinking that would be a safe place to live.....
House GOP reverses on payroll tax...willing to extend cut add $100 B cost to debt..

Weell chew on that this am.....connie chung signing off----talk to ya later...sweet dreams

Trouble
Trouble 02/14/12 - 10:50 am
morning all, and Happy

morning all, and Happy Valentines Day!!!!!!!!!!!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/14/12 - 10:57 am
Happy Valentine's Day to all!

Happy Valentine's Day to all! May your day be filled with love for each other!

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/14/12 - 12:53 pm
Just how dumb are you

Just how dumb are you Richmond County taxpayers? You build a man a hotel. Then you build him a private, attached convention center. Then you build him a parking deck. Then you pay him to operate the convention center and parking deck. Then you pay him to advertise the convention center and his hotel. And now you are going to pay him another million or so because the convention center air flow does not meet the air exchange standards of a franchise that that technically does not have anything to do with this entire deal.

Next time you are downtown see if you can spot the puppet strings running from the commission chambers over to the LLC offices. Better than that, see if you can spot the suction tube that runs from the tax collectors office straight to the LLC offices. The good citizens of Richmond County must be big believers in corporate welfare.

Just imagine the good deals our commissioners and lawyers and bureaucrats will get us tied up in when we build Ripkin an the ex-mayor their ball park....excuse me.....mixed use ball park. We should just save time and tribulation when we approve one of these deals and just give our LLC partners a City of Augusta checkbook. Apparently they get priority on spending our money over providing necessary government services. Don't you wonder who our commissioners and mayor actually represent? I'll tell you this....it certainly ain't me. If the commissioners will give me the correct address, I'll save Paul and the boys a lot of trouble and just start sending my tax payment straight to them.Might as well....I ain't getting any benefit from it out here south of Spirit Creek anyway.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/14/12 - 01:09 pm
Happy Valentine's Day Sarge.

Happy Valentine's Day Sarge. Hope you are having a good day!!! :)

allhans
allhans 02/14/12 - 01:34 pm
dichotomy..Reminds me of

dichotomy..Reminds me of listening to budget hearings on tv this morning.
It seems that the defense department replaced military troops with an equal number of civilian contractors (mercenaries?) at 2-3 times the salary the troops were being paid.
I think the local guys have a connection with the Obama guys.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/12 - 01:47 pm
Know what else is getting to

Know what else is getting to be bizarre? The way Barry White throws hundreds of thousand bucks to one hotel. I don't believe he understands how to promote the entire city-county. What was his background before he took over this job? How did he get the job?

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/14/12 - 02:15 pm
allhans.....yeh, I just got

allhans.....yeh, I just got an update on how the DOD are going to pay for a lot of those contractors. Looks like they are going to quadruple the cost of Tricare healthcare for military retirees over the next 5 years. Actually more than that. The fees are quadrupling in addition to the co-pays and deductibles going up. Use them, abuse them, give them a little praise while the wars are going on, and beat them hard when it's all over.

I can understand increasing the costs to retirees a bit, but quadrupling is a bit much.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/14/12 - 02:57 pm

Thank you, ICL, so far, so "goof," as a certain Friend of ours would say.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/14/12 - 03:02 pm
dichotomy says; "The fees are

dichotomy says; "The fees are quadrupling in addition to the co-pays and deductibles going up. Use them, abuse them, give them a little praise while the wars are going on, and beat them hard when it's all over."

Yep, it's the same old story! Use em, abuse em, and abandon em! If that's not enough to gall ya, I learned yesterday (verified by Snopes) that el prezidente has changed the way our flag is presented at Military funerals. It's no longer "The President and a grateful nation," it has been changed to "The Secretary of Defense and a grateful nation." All I can say is, I hope that I die after Obama is out of office.

David Parker
David Parker 02/14/12 - 03:43 pm
Rant #1 - you have answered

Rant #1 - you have answered your question on purpose imo.

Happy <3 <3 <3 day all you crazy kids !!!

look at the bright side yall, it'll never be stuffy up in that TEE

countyman
19068
countyman 02/14/12 - 04:43 pm
There was no hotel, tee

There was no hotel, tee center, or parking deck built for one group, person, etc... The TEE Center was built for the citizens of Augusta/Richmond County.. Plenty of local citizens have their events in the city.. The parking deck is for people attending conventions and other events downtown..... Nobody in their right mind should actually expect the TEE Center to help every single hotel.. The visitors will most likely stay at the Marriott, Sheraton, Doubletree, Sheraton, Holiday Inn Express, Holiday Inn, Homewood Suites, etc... Some hotels in the county are too far from the CBD, and others aren't uspcale enough...

As for the mix-use facility on the GGHF property, it's the private sector.. They don't need local taxpayers to build anything... When you're city is thriving you tend to attract big time developers..

I don't know why the same few people continue to bring up the TEE Center, Laney Walker/Bethlehem, or the mix-use facility.. Two of the projects have nothing to do with RC taxpayer money, and the other was approved by the citizens in the county...

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/12 - 05:01 pm
Countyman, the Marriott is

Countyman, the Marriott is being paid a big fee to manage the TEE. So why is the CVB spending hundreds of thousands trying to market the thing? That's the job of the management company exactly as with the JB Arena.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/14/12 - 05:18 pm
Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day everyone. Hope you all have a nice one.

Freeatlast
Freeatlast 02/14/12 - 05:22 pm
Who was the first president

Who was the first president to recieve a Nobel Peace Prize in the first year of their term? President Barack Obama

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 02/14/12 - 05:23 pm
Happy Valentines Day Autumn

Happy Valentines Day Autumn Leaves, Sarge,LL, IAD, RK, harley, David, trouble, ICL, alhans, dichotomy, crackerjack and you, too, countyman!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/14/12 - 05:39 pm
Thank you, Willow. I wish

Thank you, Willow. I wish you a happy Valentine's Day, also. And to all the rest of the gang.