Rants & Raves

Comments from readers.

I AM SICK AND TIRED of hearing the defense using the argument “he was abused as a child” to address why a person committed a horrible crime.

I WOULD LIKE TO thank the woman that works at Subway on Deans Bridge. Due to her kindness, we were able to get lunch. God bless you.

RAVE TO THE House committee that voted for a bill to ban use of welfare money at casinos, liquor stores and for adult entertainment. I was unaware that some states issue welfare recipients Electronic Benefits Transfer cards with cash benefits.

AUGUSTA PUBLIC TRANSIT, could you please have a designated spot for smokers at the bus station? Because not everyone wants to breathe in second-hand smoke.

THE KEYSTONE PIPELINE is the best option to supply crude oil to the Gulf State refineries for a country that consumes 15 million barrels of oil a day. This will provide a secure supply of crude oil that is so critical to the United States’ energy security – 20,000 jobs is a win-win to the local business while the pipeline is being laid and should be approved.

I DRIVE A PARTS TRUCK between Augusta and Columbia. I would be willing to bet that 90 percent of the people I see driving are on their cellphones. It’s really frightening to know that something so small has control over a 1,000- to 30,000-pound vehicle.

THANK GOD FOR those school employees who demonstrate a positive attitude and professional standard to students on a daily basis. When the opposite of this behavior is demonstrated, a dark mask is left on their school experience. When I was a professional working in the school system, there was an expectation to be a positive role model on and off the job. There is a difference between this type of daily attitude/job expectation and essential, constructive discipline. Parents need to be involved when students are experiencing anything other than this expectation.

madmaxine
madmaxine 02/11/12 - 05:09 pm
I would like to thank a man

I would like to thank a man named Joe who found my credit card in Walmart's parking lot in North Augusta, and actually took the time to find me, so he could return it to me.
Wanda Zippler

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/11/12 - 10:56 pm
Absolutely no reason for

Absolutely no reason for disapproving the pipeline. It was all positive. Jobs, economic development, zero cost to the taxpayer, and a stable supply of oil from a friendly neighbor. Obama is the most anti-American politician elected to office since Hugo Chavez. He doesn't care about anything but his ideology and his reelection so he can stuff more of his left wing socialist ideology down our throats.

Trouble
Trouble 02/12/12 - 07:40 am
morning all..........augusta

morning all..........augusta public transit, would you please have a designated spot for anti smoking nazis? not everyone wants to be exposed to their holier than thou attitudes........

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/12/12 - 08:00 am
Weeel thankya trouble....I'm

Weeel thankya trouble....I'm not a smoker but we can't pick & choose our freedoms.......I don't want them to disappear.......& folks it is coming!!
A crisp & freezing good am..

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/12/12 - 09:24 am
My thought for

My thought for today..

Thoughts are somewhat like snooker balls. One crashes into another into another into another without ceasing forever and ever and each thought sucks you in — in a word… hell. There’s no peace to be found here, no now, no joy.

We reap what we sow and thoughts are seeds. If you’re not choosing what you sow, you won’t be reaping what you want.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/12/12 - 09:34 am
SeenIt, that's thought

SeenIt, that's thought provoking. What would do without me to appreciate your thought on thoughts?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/12/12 - 09:51 am
RM...I appreciate that you

RM...I appreciate that you appreciate my thought on thoughts...I thought you would....I also thought that your thoughts would remind you of other thoughts & thinking alike...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/12/12 - 10:23 am

What was I thinking when I started posting on here...heheheh
Time for eggs...NO grits though!

allhans
allhans 02/12/12 - 11:06 am
Is smelling stale smoke the

Is smelling stale smoke the same as breathing second-hand smoke? Some seem to think so. To me a bad odor is a bad odor. Having to make a choice, I would take stale smoke over stale body odor.

allhans
allhans 02/12/12 - 11:18 am
seenit..Thoughts. ...Another

seenit..Thoughts. ...Another thing is if you sow barley you won't reap oats. (quote, of course)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/12/12 - 11:31 am
Perfect allhans...:)...my kin

Perfect allhans...:)...my kin said that a lot.

iLove
iLove 02/12/12 - 11:43 am
I would like to thank Officer

I would like to thank Officer H on Gordon HWY. for his kind words this morning and the MAJOR ACT OF KINDNESS he displayed towards me. I really appreciate it. You DID NOT have to do that. May God Bless you and your family.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 02/12/12 - 01:42 pm
if i had to ride a bus that

if i had to ride a bus that allowed smoking, I would wear a mask. I am not going to breathe that cigarette smoke and cough and choke on it.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 02/12/12 - 01:44 pm
I too am sick and tired of

I too am sick and tired of hearing the defense using the argument “he was abused as a child” to address why a person committed a horrible crime.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 02/12/12 - 01:50 pm
To the 3rd ranter.The card

To the 3rd ranter.The card used to buy food,may also have cash on it for non-food items such as soap, toilet paper. They can also get cash from the card. they use that cash to pay bills, buy beer and cigarettes, and for whatever they want to use it for.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 02/12/12 - 01:59 pm
The card used for foodstamps

The card used for foodstamps also can have cash on the card. The card can be used to buy toilet paper, and other non-food items.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 02/12/12 - 02:04 pm
The card can be used to buy

The card can be used to buy toilet paper, and other non-food items.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 02/12/12 - 02:05 pm
They can get cash from the

They can get cash from the card to pay bills and spend anyway they want

happychimer
19537
happychimer 02/12/12 - 02:06 pm
Many buy beer and cigarettes.

Many buy beer and cigarettes. The food part of the EBT card is foodstamps, and I forget what the cash part is called.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 02/12/12 - 02:09 pm
I got on here what I had to

I got on here what I had to say! Sean I know you will come on and repeat that it is the filter, but it sure seems that someone does not want me posting anything. I had to divide up my comment for it to post. I am not happy with this at all.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/12/12 - 02:45 pm
I came to the library for

I came to the library for some peace and quiet and study. It seems that is impossible because on one side of me, someone is banging the mouse (it doesn't have the mouse pad under it, either) AND behind me, someone else is. On the other side of me, someone is snapping, popping and noisily chewing gum with an abundance of saliva apparently, it's practically sloshing. It is stereo because someone behind me is also doing that. Before you tell me to talk to their parents, that IS the parents! The children and parents are also talking to each other in normal tones. I expect library staff to address these repetitive noises, and other disregard for the rules, after all, these are specifically listed in their library conduct flyer. I shouldn't have to take time away from my work to ask for some peace and quiet, where it should be an enforced part of the environment.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/12/12 - 02:53 pm
I agree seenit. Plant

I agree seenit. Plant squash, get squash. If you don't like the harvest, plant some different seeds.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/12/12 - 03:01 pm
AL, this not your first

AL, this not your first encounter with this problem. Why are you still making the same choices and expecting a different result?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/12/12 - 03:04 pm
I thought I had seen AL's

I thought I had seen AL's post before.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/12/12 - 03:11 pm
This is a LIBRARY. Is it too

This is a LIBRARY. Is it too much to expect it to be quiet here? I've been to target-shooting galleries that weren't this torturous.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/12/12 - 03:13 pm
Willow, do you think I would

Willow, do you think I would be spending a stunning Sunday afternoon in the library if it was a choice? It is a necessity. I expect rules to be followed and if they are not, rules to be enforced. It has been brought to the attention of two different members of the staff, and I wrote the note above, to take note of the time I did so.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/12/12 - 03:14 pm
Well, now she is talking AND

Well, now she is talking AND popping. Lovely. And the problem has still not been addressed.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/12/12 - 03:15 pm
Ahhh. Thank you! Finally.

Ahhh. Thank you! Finally.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/12/12 - 03:18 pm
Oh well, she thought it

Oh well, she thought it appropriate to curse about it. Classy (not). I should have known there would be more "air pollution".

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/12/12 - 03:36 pm
Ok ALeaves...I understand

Ok ALeaves...I understand .........some folks on here are sooo filthy RICH they never go to the library to post......ya know whatta mean.....I gotcha back AL..:)

Christmas Eve storm possible

ATLANTA - Forecasters say strong storms, some with the potential for isolated tornadoes, are possible over large parts of Georgia on Christmas Eve.