Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

GOVERNMENT FORCING banks to make mortgage loans to unqualified borrowers is what put us in the present economic mess. Now Obama is pushing the same deadly program again.

A HUGE RAVE FOR Diane at the Columbia County tag office! She made sure that my disabled mother’s tag was put on her car before she left. My mother is still talking about how nice this lady treated her. It’s great to know there are caring people around.

RECENTLY, SEVERAL other law enforcement officers and I walked into the Cracker Barrel to eat before attending the funeral in Aiken. As the hostess walked us to our table, the entire restaurant stood up and began clapping, with many of them thanking us for the job we do. We sat down, ordered and ate.

When we asked the waitress for our check, she said, “Oh, the group of ladies sitting next to you paid your bills. They said to tell you thank you for what you do.”

I’ve never experienced anything quite like that before and it was greatly appreciated by all. It helped to remind us that there are plenty of good people in this world and in this city. By the way, there were nine of us.

NICE JOB ON width of paper; now please reduce the length!

I DO WISH IF parents are going to check their children out early from school they would not say they have an appointment if they are going to throw a fit when you ask them to return with the doctor or dental excuse. If your child truly has an appointment, it should not be a big deal. Yes, the car line is long, but you stand in lines just about everywhere you go. This is why our children behave the way they do. It truly does start at home.

WHAT’S THE BIG deal about an ID to vote? I didn’t hear any protests about showing an ID to get a free turkey or toys from the James Brown Giveaways. If you have nothing to hide, then stop acting like you do. Act like the upstanding citizen you want to be treated like.

I THINK THAT any protest that is composed mainly of high school and college students should be largely ignored. They don’t have anything better to do, and they mostly just want to congregate for social reasons.

I AM PAYING 28 percent. Are you satisfied with that rate, Obama administration? Am I paying my “fair share”?

seenitB4 02/11/12 - 04:59 am
The rave said... RECENTLY,

The rave said...

Thanks to the people at Crackerbarrel.....I feel the same way......I want to thank them everytime I see an officer........their job is even more dangerous in todays world..

seenitB4 02/11/12 - 05:15 am
seenitB4 02/11/12 - 05:47 am
Harley said.. "Are hackers

Harley said..

"Are hackers that dang smart??"

There is another possibility, SeenitB4.

So what is going on.......FBI & CIA should be secure sites ...if they can't secure those 2 ...what can be ??

seenitB4 02/11/12 - 05:58 am
The happiest people in the

The happiest people in the world are NOT in America...

Brazil and Turkey rounded out the top five happiest nations, while Hungary, South Korea, Russia, Spain and Italy had the fewest number of happy people.

Perhaps proving that money can't buy happiness, residents of some of the world biggest economic powers, including the United States, Canada and Britain, fell in the middle of the happiness scale.

"There is a pattern that suggests that there are many other factors beyond the economy that make people happy, so it does provide one element but it is not the whole story," said Wright.

"Sometimes the greatest happiness is a cooked meal or a roof over your head," he explained. "Relationships remain the No. 1 reason around the world where people say they have invested happiness and maybe in those cultures family has a much greater degree of impact."

Regionally Latin America had the highest number of happy people, followed by North America, Asia-Pacific and the Middle East and Africa. Only 15 percent of Europeans said they were very happy.

On a more personal note married couples tended to be happier than singles but men seemed to be as content as women. Education and age also had an impact with more people under 35 saying they are very happy than 25-49 year olds. Higher education also equated with higher happiness. (Reporting by Patricia Reaney,; editing by Jill Serjeant)

Latin America always comes out on top.....what do they know that we don't?

seenitB4 02/11/12 - 06:24 am
I am interested in this....i

I am interested in this....i think people could be happy if they tried...so please........would some of the guys on here just list the things in life that really make you happy.....try to be honest..:)

I'm thinking a good football game would be near the top...

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/11/12 - 06:32 am
Good morning Seenit. Now

Good morning Seenit. Now about your study. I ain't buying any of it. Some cultures are just more willing to say they are unhappy. It's like the Jewish mother who always complains about her daughter-in-law. Means nothing. Also, money can eliminate a lot of problems, thus it does buy happiness. To me having someone to connect with on the same level gives me comfort. The same types seek each other and it's part of the reason we all come here. Happiness, American style. Pay the bills and Motel 6.

seenitB4 02/11/12 - 06:31 am
That could possibly be a new

That could possibly be a new song title..."Pay the bills & Motel 6"

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/11/12 - 06:32 am
You could find a country

You could find a country music song in breakfast. :)

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/11/12 - 06:34 am
What's news today? Anything

What's news today? Anything worth me getting excited about? Any corruption going on today? Ha, why do I ask...that's an everyday thing.

seenitB4 02/11/12 - 06:35 am
The study did say this...

The study did say this...

Higher education also equated with higher happiness

I agree....maybe some of the cobwebs of life are brushed away with education.....for instance.....strapping a bomb on your body because someone tells you to do it fo lasting glory...

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/11/12 - 06:37 am
Yeah, that would be a good

Yeah, that would be a good thing. To become so enlightened you know it's not a good thing to blow yourself up. Now if I could just get educated enough not to come here and play the edge with political comments I'd be much better off...and happy.

seenitB4 02/11/12 - 06:39 am
I am burnt out with our

I am burnt out with our politics/candidates.......they are all getting on my last nerve.........the more I look at them the more I realize what few choices we have.....the only thing left now is for wise Americans to hang together to really change things.
If middle America WANTED to----we could work miracles ...imho

seenitB4 02/11/12 - 06:41 am
Sorry....but you are addicted

Sorry....but you are addicted & you must be getting a payoff or U wouldn't be here......:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/11/12 - 06:50 am
Seenit, I come here to read

Seenit, I come here to read the news only. How dare you suggest I put personal chatty stuff on here and tell jokes.

seenitB4 02/11/12 - 06:57 am
There must be 2

There must be 2 rivermans....lordy-please help us if that is true...

seenitB4 02/11/12 - 07:35 am

Some wonder why the posters doubt the newsmakers at times.....challenge what we read....even flat out call them liars....
well read this link......if you think humans aren't used for testing---ya better think again...
Be thankful you have certain people in your midst...they could save your life.

seenitB4 02/11/12 - 07:44 am
Senate hearings on Health and

Senate hearings on Health and Scientific Research confirm that 239 populated areas had been contaminated with biological agents between 1949 and 1969. Some of the areas included San Francisco, Washington, D.C., Key West, Panama City, Minneapolis, and St. Louis.

Now this really ticks me ....Key west...Panama City....2 beautiful places that people go for fresh air & relaxation & some NUT JOB wants to contaminate innocent people for testing bio agents.....is there any wonder some of us DOUBT what we are told.....I need a break now.....digging this info. up makes me mad............:(
Sooo RM.....is this stuff still going on?

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 02/11/12 - 08:47 am
Some of that unhappiness in

Some of that unhappiness in America is not with their own lot, I suspect. Half of Americans are being told the other half is mean-spirited cheats who are not paying 'their fair share.' The payers are being subjected to an increasing and seemingly unending demand on their resources on the behalf of a population which does nothing to merit it. What in that venomous mixture would support happiness?

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/11/12 - 09:20 am
Good Morning seenit & River,

Good Morning seenit & River, it's so goooood to be home this morning.
The good part is, I could take ya'll with me on my iPhone. Okay, I admit it, I'm addicted to you:)

David Parker
David Parker 02/11/12 - 09:30 am
@ the rave for the ladies

@ the rave for the ladies picking up the tab a Cracker Barrel. It just seems like good people like to eat at Cracker Barrel, it's been demonstrated repeatedly.

listing things that make me happy. Now that wouldn't be any fun, not for an enigma like myself ;)

ONly news worthy items I've been made aware of is that Jack-in-the-Box is going to offer a bacon milkshake. Not that Augusta will benefit from this, well anyone really, but we don't have a Jack-in-the-Box is my point.

twolane
twolane 02/11/12 - 09:30 am
money cant buy happiness

money cant buy happiness bahahaha thats just something poor people say to make themselves feel better

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/11/12 - 09:31 am
I like it when Willow says

I like it when Willow says she's addicted to me....okay, so she said SeenIt, too.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/11/12 - 10:23 am
On "happiness"..we were not

On "happiness"..we were not created to be happy. We were created to struggle, to search, to look within, to change, to grow, to seek salvation, to find God. In other words, we were created for sanctification.

This is a process that can only take place with adversity in life; hence the warning of how difficult it is for the rich to see heaven. The rich can throw lots of money at their problems and find diversions instead of having to look "Up and Within".

We were, though, created for joy, which comes through the discovery of faith and allowing God to walk with us in our trials. Which translates into, I can be joyful ( better than happy) even while in the middle of the mess.

My happiness, then, comes from within me, and I am not subject to nor dependent upon my circumstances or the personal whims and moods of others. Happiness is temporary; difficulties and others can rob me of it. Joy, is all mine. Now, THAT'S FREEDOM.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/11/12 - 09:43 am
You just wait for Valentines

You just wait for Valentines Day, River.

tanbaby
tanbaby 02/11/12 - 09:48 am
well said willow...too bad

well said willow...too bad more people don't feel the same way...it's all about the material things to most people....and like the old saying goes, "you can't take it with you!!!"

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/11/12 - 09:52 am
Thank you tanbaby. You are

Thank you tanbaby. You are right, the only thing we take with us are our relationships.

seenitB4 02/11/12 - 10:52 am

Take a look at these pics......someone brought this to my attention last night------amazing cloud tsunami pics in Panama city & Destin area..:)

seenitB4 02/11/12 - 11:01 am
Haha....Willow finally

Haha....Willow finally admitted her addiction.......I knew she had been for a looong time....I feel your "pain"....I've tried to shake it off BUT it is stronger than glue..........only words on a page but ohhh so powerful..it just goes to show people need people.....:)

seenitB4 02/11/12 - 11:13 am
With hundreds of miles open

With hundreds of miles open to habitation, people still tend to build their houses close to the houses of other people. No matter the continent, no matter the culture, no matter the era, this is what we do. And to find an individual choosing to live completely alone in the world is so rare as to confirm that human beings need to live amongst each other; indeed we are compelled from within ourselves to group together. Humans are social animals; it is our nature to be so.

Human beings are both individuals and they are members of a group. It is imperative that they be both: the human race can only survive if its individual members survive, and the individual needs the group to enhance its own odds of surviving. It is a tightly interwoven connection. It defines all that they do, and all else depends upon it.

They need each other to produce new members of their species, to protect those new members and themselves, to help provide food, to add diversity to the gene pool, to provide companionship, to pass on information. They depend upon each other for their survival and their growth as a people.

At the most basic level, human beings are drawn together for reproduction. Built into every human being is the need to reproduce other humans. This need, and the means to do it, is not taught; it just is. Such a built-in need to reproduce others of one's own kind is basic to all living things, be it a flower or a dolphin.

We are social animals & we are programed to come on here & post....soooo stop feeling guilty & try to enjoy this ......we can't help it!
:):)

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/11/12 - 11:29 am
Yes, we were created for

Yes, we were created for healthy relationships.