Rants & Raves

THE ABSURD IDEA OF teachers over-praising students started about the same time that teachers started being brainwashed in the, then new, college departments of education.

IT WAS REPORTED THAT it cost $2.9 million for the name change from MCG to GHSU. So can it be assumed that a similar amount will be needed for the name change of the combined ASU-GHSU? What a waste of money in these economic times.

I AM ONE OF 99 percent who has worked all my life for the 1 percent. I am thankful that they were there to hire me and provide me a good living from the age of 16 until I retired. Mind you I worked hard all my life and did not have time to occupy Wall Street or anywhere else.

HERE WE GO AGAIN with the ball stadium, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Get off it and spend the money fixing up stores in Downtown or Riverwalk. Why give money to Ripken? He will sell out just like Hank Aaron did with his car dealership. All those people want is our money; don’t give in to them!!!!!

HUGE RAVE TO South Augusta Family Y for the friendly greetings upon entering and exiting the facility. If only they had an indoor running track, I would use it more as they are much more friendlier than the Y in West Augusta and Evans.

WE HAVE BEEN lied to. Dr. King would not support the Democrat Party’s culture of death – euthanasia, abortion, entitlement living, and same-sex marriages. Listen to his sermons, read his writings: He encouraged hard work, protecting the children and building strong families.

THE PEOPLE OF Augusta have told the commissioners and the mayor several times we don’t want a downtown stadium. They are not listening.

RANT FOR Ricardo Azziz. He changed the name of a medical college. He wanted to cut off all roads going through the campus. He complained that Augusta was not “cool” because we did not have all the venues that people making over a half a million dollars a year expect. He went behind the scenes to get the merger of Augusta State under his control and now he wants the golf gardens property to build more buildings. All this at a time when the federal, state and local governments are broke. Azziz doesn’t care about the school. He cares about his power.

speeddy
speeddy 01/28/12 - 10:14 pm
Rave to Aiken City Public

Rave to Aiken City Public Safety Thank you for giving 2 tickets for people parked in handicap parking.At OutBack in Aiken I was going to park there and all was was full.By in the time I got to the door cops came a wrote 2 tickets.I was so happy to see them writing tickets.When you can't walk it means alot. I want to thank Aiken city Public Safety

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/29/12 - 09:15 am
Now for the r/rs Praise kids

Now for the r/rs

Praise kids only when they deserve it.....why yeh...just like husbands...they will demand it if you give it too often.....

Name changed a waste of $$$....yeh along with millions of other crazy stuff..

99% work for 1%-----it will always work that way...so try to adjust...we just don't have 1000 Warren Buffetts...

Enough with ball park------somehow someway they (imp. folks) will make this happen.....wait/see how they do it!!

Rave for South Augusta Family Y---me too wave & rave

Listen to his words////MLK/MLK//Yes please listen ....I never did hear him say sagging pants/babies w/o daddies ---nasty music was the way to go....did you?

Augusta downtown commish isn't listening....ummm they could be taking a clue from someone in DC---just walk away they say..

Rant to Azziz....whoa...wait just a minute...he is in the news EVERYWHERE....hey he could be our next President of the USA...:)

Yeh.....kinda funny stuff today..

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/29/12 - 09:32 am
Hey, Seenit. It will cost

Hey, Seenit. It will cost little for a name change for the combined schools. Just add ASU above the GHSU division with time. GHSU will be ASU's medical school. Nothing hard about it. Think positive, folks.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/29/12 - 09:33 am
Riverman1
Riverman1 01/29/12 - 09:40 am
Well, the cancer center at

Well, the cancer center at GHSU is going to require a lot more than 5 million to make it a reality. Emory is lucky with all that private money. We need a few billionaires to help out here.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/29/12 - 10:04 am
Today I have a bunch of

Today I have a bunch of reading to do.....(nice stuff to read too)
so check your email----please.......seeya later in day.:)

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 01/29/12 - 12:04 pm
Let me help out the guy that

Let me help out the guy that "worked all his life for the 1%-er." I would assume after 40 (?) years of hard labor, you were the President, the CEO, or the COO of the company you worked for, correct? I would very much doubt it. What you did was "make money" for "your boss"... or as I really like to state it: "The secret to wealth is not to work hard but to have others work hard for you." And my man, that's what you did for the past 40 years - like it or not. I just spoke last week with a buddy of mine that works for Kroger. He told me he made $31k in 2011. At the same time, the CEO of Kroger made $7.5 million. As I told my bro': "You make Kroger the money - but the CEO gets the money." And I bet the CEO of Kroger ain't never put a gallon of milk on the shelf or stocked a can of kidney beans in his life, yet people wonder why others are complaining about wealth disparity. Take off the "selective perception" blinders you're wearing and you'll awaken to the answer sooner than you think.

happychimer
happychimer 01/29/12 - 12:15 pm
pearl you got that right.

pearl you got that right.

allhans
allhans 01/29/12 - 12:20 pm
pearl. Wealth envy. Be

pearl. Wealth envy. Be careful now. Some, or most actually, have no desire to be a CEO.
Just as not all aspire to higher education, there are those who are content to work their 40 hours and go home to their family.
These are the happy people. They are thankful, not envious.

JRC2024
JRC2024 01/29/12 - 12:55 pm
Pearl, That is what he was

Pearl, That is what he was hired to do. Make money for his boss. The boss is hired by the stock holders (owners) to make money for them thru dividends and stock price increases. They have to be much much smarter at running a large amount of stores than the person stocking the shelves. If people want more then they need to learn more and increase the value to the boss and then they will get a bigger paycheck.
The customer is the one who made the money for Kroger, the employee and the boss just gave them the way by providing them the goods to buy.

TNTHOMSON
TNTHOMSON 01/29/12 - 01:06 pm
Today is Curmudgeons Day.....

Today is Curmudgeons Day..... "An annual celebration of the crusty, yet insightful, wags who consistently apply the needle of truth to the balloons of hypocrisy and social norms."

This day no doubt is for many who post here...

Happy Curmudgeons Day..

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 01/29/12 - 01:22 pm
I'm glad some of you agree

I'm glad some of you agree with me - and some of you don't. But let me lay the 100% truth on you and what happened to me - in simple terms.
1.) I worked for a company for +10 years....I knew my job and did it beyond well. In fact, I was the "go to guy."
2.) The company got rid of my first boss (fired, retired, I don't fully know the reason.)
3.) The next "boss" wasn't me being promoted but, a guy that knew absolutely zero about our department. A good guy, a nice guy, but he knew zero about the dapartment.
4.) A couple of years go by and, again, for whatever reason, he was let go. That means it's time for a new boss, right? Right.
5.) Do I get promoted? No. Who do they bring in? The rumor was being tossed about that the "new boss" was buddy-buddy with the plant manager. Well, rumors run rampant so I didn' put much stock into what I heard. But the rumor persisited so, I did what I had to do - I looked in the phone book. And lo and behold, the "new boss" lived on the very same, identical street as the plant manager. So, the rumor was true - plant manager and "new boss" were buddy-buddy. And people wonder why excellent, productive employees get upset about the way they get treated.

I wish I could name names but, you know how it goes. It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know.....and I experienced it first hand!
The defense rests, your honor!

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 01/29/12 - 02:11 pm
Pearl, maybe they know you

Pearl, maybe they know you better than you realize. You sound technically competent, even excellent, but politically naive and/or inept. After 10 years in the same job I would hope you developed some expertise. Regardless; you want the boss slot, but you're ignorant of what is happening in those circles? If you want to move up you need to spend more time worrying about the problems they're contending with, and offering solutions for consideration. Did you ever tell management you even wanted the job?

allhans
allhans 01/30/12 - 12:07 am
determination...something so

determination...something so many is lacking.

happychimer
happychimer 01/29/12 - 02:29 pm
allhans forget about wealth

allhans forget about wealth envy. I don't have envy for the rich. If I were eich in money, I would get great pleasure in helping others. Accusing people of wealth envy is just an excuse to avoid the truth.

allhans
allhans 01/29/12 - 03:31 pm
happy..Okay..

happy..Okay..

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 01/29/12 - 03:41 pm
Ok, it's time to answer some

Ok, it's time to answer some questions for the squirrel-o-maniacs.
Me? - problem solve? I'm a problem-solving machine.
Me? - Have an idea? I'm an idea-machine.
Me? - The go-to guy? I missed less than 5 days of work in +15 years. When you want "dead-on," "spot-on," accuracy, I was THAT guy. My work was done on-time, virtually always error-free, and done with devastating accuracy. I spent more time correcting other peoples mistakes than I was doing what I should have been doing (ok, a touch of hyperbole there but, - you get my point).
And just two more points before I crawl back up into the "squirrels nest" for the rest of the day. Remember the "bring in a new boss....bring in ANOTHER new boss" story I told? Well, the company wanted our secretary to "teach him" his job. So, she said: "Why should I teach HIM when you could elevate ME"? Yea, you're right, now she no longer works there. You see, my story shows how "it works" at most places of employment. Finally, you may feel I am projecting a narcissistic, over-inflated image of myself. Ok - you're entitled to your opinion. Why don't you ask 10, 15, or 20 of my associates / friends of my abilities and the job I did? I know you can't but, everything I've stated would be undeniably verified. Peace out... 'cause the squirrels out!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/29/12 - 04:59 pm
Pearl, did you do anything

Pearl, did you do anything resembling sending in a resume for the position, or just wait for it to be handed to you?

smartasugarsugar
smartasugarsugar 01/29/12 - 06:55 pm
please people?, the buddy

please people?, the buddy system is where its at, brown nose your boss, that seams to do the trick around here. sugar coat the bs they shovel and talk about em behind their backs. dodge as much work as you can.. and still get paid for it. why no if you work your buns off tile your 62 and if you can afford to retire your too dang burt out to do anything.

happychimer
happychimer 01/29/12 - 09:19 pm
When I was a teenager, we had

When I was a teenager, we had a neighbor who would open his wallet and show the poor kids across the street how much money he had in his wallet. He would ask them if they wished they had that much moneyThen he would look at their clothes and shoes and laugh. He was not rich, but he liked to brag about what he had. He and his wife worked in the mill, which was where most in town worked.When I hear the words wealth envy, I think of this.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 01/29/12 - 09:54 pm
Well, well, well, after

Well, well, well, after botching my password three times, the squirrel finally makes it back into the rage in a cage. Perhaps you think I'm a disgruntled employee or mad at the world - perhaps. So, let's set the record straight because facts never lie.
1.) I took the civil service postal exam in 1987. I scored a straight-up 91.9. That 91.9 is without the military bonus points as I have never been in the military. I was NEVER contacted - interesting?.
2.) 3.69 GPA.....magna cum laude honors.....no lower than 34th out of 675 graduates.....Deans List 6 of 12 semesters......and, singled out in four separate classes for stellar, beyond the norm, first-class work. Interesting.
3.) Paid off a 30 year mortgage in 9 years. Yea, you read that correctly.
4.) Two years ago I had 12 friends, associates, and co-workers (including people from North Carolina to Idaho to Wisconsin) grade me on a 1-10 scale based on everything they knew about me (Am I punctual? Am I always on time? Do people get along with me? Do I get along with people? Can I problem solve?...etc., etc.,etc.) Those results go like this ....(7) (8) (8) (8) (8.25) (8.8) (8.875) (9) (9) (9) (10) (10). So, my average is 8.66. Interesting. Oh, for those of you that wanted to "knock" me - did you see those two 10's? Heck, with just one 10 I should be President of The Milky Way Galaxy!
Like baseball great Dizzy Dean said: "If it's the truth, it ain't braggin'." The only people that would "turn" on me for the facts are the people that can't match up to those stats.
You see, a great employee gets paid the same as a mediocre employee that gets paid the same as a marginal employee. Somewhere in that whack-a-doodle statement is some sort of "riddle wrapped in a mystery inside of an enigma"....just like Winston Churchill stated in 1939. And don't forget - "the company" wanted the secretary to train the "new guy" - the bosses "buddy." Yea, and she bailed shortly thereafter. Once again, interesting. Did somebody previously say "brown-nose"? Yea, unfortunately I've always tried to let the facts, the figures, and merit do my talking - and that clearly doesn't work. Peace out!

Cadence
Cadence 01/29/12 - 10:44 pm
Pearl I totally believe you.

Pearl I totally believe you. It is how things work out in the world. You were mistreated and misused and it wasn't fair.

allhans
allhans 01/30/12 - 12:21 am
smartassugar..You can make

smartassugar..You can make the choice to live off whatever the government doles out to you, but if the labor market comtinues to disintegrate I don't know how many "brown Nosers" will be working to pay the taxes needed, so that might not work for long.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/12 - 05:47 am
Why are they picking on the

Why are they picking on the squirrel....I like the cute name....so squirrel stay with us...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/12 - 05:52 am
Pleasse make note of

Pleasse make note of something....when the big posters stay away from r/r this place almost dies.....do ya'll see that?......soooo it gets boring---misses "sumthin"......not even a complete page......sometimes ya just can't make folks happy.
Youtube-jokes-whatever........that makes life interesting.....we don't get paid to entertain on here.....I'd rather read & river would probably rather fish.....:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/30/12 - 05:57 am
Pearl, I really like you and

Pearl, I really like you and appreciate you sharing your woes here. It makes it interesting, but I'm going to offer what I see in hopes you will understand. When you related the incident about scoring high on the postal exam and not being contacted, that was revealing.

The post office doesn't discriminate or what have you on the basis of personal things. In this case they hadn't even met you. Possibly there was a bureaucratic problem with your paper work. You imply they didn't call you because of something nefarious. It's apparently just one of those things that you believes happens to you often. See what I mean?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/30/12 - 05:59 am
"Big posters" Ha...you

"Big posters" Ha...you dissing somebody? What are we, hamburger from Gurleys?

Okay, I'm going to disappear...6 AM meeting, believe that or not. Later on today, folks.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/12 - 06:14 am
Dissing you!!!!....That'll be

Dissing you!!!!....That'll be the day...heheh

You say you gonna leave but you KNOW that will be a lie!!:)

mikesaul
mikesaul 03/09/12 - 03:35 pm
As I told my bro': "You make

As I told my bro': "You make Kroger the money - but the CEO gets the money."

If I own the car you shared a ride in to work for the past year, and I sell the car, are you somehow ENTITLED to an equal amount of the proceeds? No! Those who own the businesses, put up the financing, and accept the RISK (as ALL businesses have inherent risk!) are fully entitled to retain the majority of the proceeds of that business...they OWN IT!

dstewartsr
20394
dstewartsr 03/09/12 - 04:50 pm
"Those who own the

"Those who own the businesses, ...are fully entitled to retain the majority of the proceeds of that business...they OWN IT!"

Unpalatable truth in a age that believes merely breathing entails some sort of entitlement. Years ago, I had a business with three employees. As far as running the business, the governments; city, county, state, and federal all had their hand out for paperwork and a share of my money. I was to the bureaucrats in the same league as GM, only with less chance of being treated to taxpayer dollars.

I paid a daily wage and commission. One of my employees noted (like one of our beloved posters has) I was taking full 90% of each job while he, actually doing the work, was making ten cents on the dollar. I offered to let him buy into the company to make it "fair." He asked how much he would make and I explained that depended on his buy-in. He thought for a moment and then asked what if we made no money? Well, I explained, then he and I were still on the hook as owners for payroll, licenses, taxes. His response was "OH, hell, NO!"

Apparently, divvying up the profit equally is fair, while sharing the risk a dark, evil concept.