Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WERE THEY waiting for the Easter Bunny to take the Christmas decorations down on Broad Street?

I HAVE BEEN A subscriber for over 30 years and I would like to have the astrology put back in the newspaper.

RANTS TO THE PERSON who said that the bus service is better. Yes, they do stay longer at the station so you are not stranded, which is very good, but during normal hours it is still one hour, 20 minutes between buses except the Kmart bus and the West Parkway bus, which runs every 40 minutes.

Late in the afternoon you have to get the 3:10 Augusta Mall bus going back to the station in order to make the Walton Way connection, which is the last of the day.

So, don’t tell me that the Augusta Transit System is better.

TO THE RANTER who complained about people making illegal left turns off Walton Way to get to Woodlawn day care, I agree. They should put cops out there every day. Maybe if they have to pay for tickets, they will stop breaking the law.

I THINK WE SHOULD ALL pray (and vote) that God will give us a Christian president. We don’t know what is in these men’s hearts, but God does. He can make a way for the right Christian man to become our president.

THIS IS A RANT TO the person who stole our brand-new trailer out of our garage on Milledge Road. The Bible says, Thou shalt not steal. You will pay one day.

THE LONGER OBAMA stays in office, the more I like Jimmy Carter.

HOW IMPORTANT IS the name? Recently, MCG spent millions to change its name. Now it will need a few million more to change the change. This thing is already proving to be the mess that it will eventually turn into.

IN THE SPIRIT OF all-inclusiveness perhaps the name of the newly merged colleges should be abbreviated ACASUMCG­GHSUOMGLMAO Conglomerate.

MCG NEEDS TO update its phone books. You can’t get hold of anybody.

MCG NEEDS TO expand and it is landlocked. Everyone knows Augusta College has tons of undeveloped property; hence, the marriage.

Comments (39)

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 01/25/12 - 11:36 pm

Passed by the new garage on

Passed by the new garage on Reynolds Street today, very impressive building - but there is absolutely nothing going on. Guess it will pay for itself :>)

Jake
Jake 01/26/12 - 12:33 am

Hmmm......After only 5

Hmmm......After only 5 comments, the article on Hancock County has been cut off from commenting. Justice was not served and I guess the comments won't be allowed to be forthcoming. Nice county they have there.

countyman
countyman 01/26/12 - 01:22 am

The parking garage is across

The parking garage is across the street from the GGHF site( multipurpose stadium, retail, residential, research park), Fort Discovery(recently purchased; more than likely additional jobs in the CBD), WJBF former studio(purchased), 8th street Plaza(Saturday Market) and the TEE Center who opens this year(3-4 events already booked)..

The name of new school needs to be called the University of Augusta.. ASU and GHSU both have to develop other areas throughout the city.. The main campus of ASU(Summerville) is landlocked, and GHSU doesn't want to expand along Damascus/Wrightsboro rd. Let GHSU help build up dowtown, and ASU can develop the West Campus(academic building, student center, student housing).. The majority of GHSU's infrastructure is located outside of downtown, and ASU's sport complex/University Village was built along Wrightsboro/Damascus rd.. ASU can still make a small impact downtown with purchasing the former library and other buildings.. MCG owns the former Fatmans property, Kroger shopping center, and Sunset aka Cherry Tree is right next door.. I've heard Beulah Grove might leased a parking structure on land they own near Sunset to GHSU.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/26/12 - 03:50 am

First things first..... If

First things first.....
If any male on my email list got a message saying I'm preg & you will have to marry me...PLEASE IGNORE....this little toshiba was just mad cause I left it alone all day...I will have to unplug this thing when leaving it....& Sean it seems to really want to send you notes.....what can I say....it does have good taste....
It knows languages I can't even say.....

Good am

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/26/12 - 03:52 am

I'm not kidding ya'll...this

I'm not kidding ya'll...this thing is smart-powerful....has a mind of its own...

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/26/12 - 03:58 am

Bus service?/..I really can't

Bus service?/..I really can't comment -never used yours.....but I can say the bus service here has been a life saver for many going downtown but the local buses are almost empty..

Would we change slavery....yes I think so if we had to go back in history.....but let me ask this....who would be better off if we could do that.......
We should change what happened to the Indians IMO...

I'm so tired of MCG rants.....the name game will stay with us...like it or not---they waste millions all the time--locally & federal...what's new..

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/26/12 - 04:23 am

Good for Gov. Brewer of

Good for Gov. Brewer of Arizona......now I will have to read her book....Scorpions for Breakfast....
She is one tough lady.
President Obama needs to be a border Gov. for a month or so. ---imo

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/26/12 - 04:24 am

JTF---please stay with us!

JTF---please stay with us!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 01/26/12 - 05:50 am

As far as the Christmas

As far as the Christmas decorations downtown?...have to be honest, we JUST took down our Christmas tree last night! Yeah..I know. To the person wishing that we could go back and not have brought the slaves over....interesting thought, but you'd better be careful. I'm surprised the paper printed your comment because it COULD be considered as a hint of racism! I think it was a good thought-provoking question.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/26/12 - 05:55 am

Good morning, SeenIt. I know

Good morning, SeenIt. I know you've been up all night, but you have to hold the fort down for me today. Ya here?

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/26/12 - 05:57 am

JMO.....I thought the same

JMO.....I thought the same thing about that rant----thought provoking & now we will get notes from you-know-who with our comments.....

You either want the comments or you don't---which is it AC?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/26/12 - 05:57 am

About MCG being landlocked.

About MCG being landlocked. You could buy all the land down there in that area of town for about 50 cents if they need to get bigger.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/26/12 - 05:59 am

river---I'm trying to get my

river---I'm trying to get my comments in early cause I have a busy day ----can't play on here all day.....

Life is calling me ...& this won't pay the bills....know whatta mean...

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/26/12 - 06:04 am

Ditto, same deal with me

Ditto, same deal with me today. Later

raul
raul 01/26/12 - 08:59 am

@countyman, do you think

@countyman, do you think developers will buy up Harrisburg properties on the cheap, raze it, and build townhouses, condos etc. for the GHSU/ASU student population?

tgentry
tgentry 01/26/12 - 09:29 am

Here is a RAnt to the AC.

Here is a RAnt to the AC. Really no comments to be posted on the Hancock story? Wow. Also you have a link under columbia news times that states Re-organized store. Click that and you get a picture with words telling the story. Problem is this is a McDuffie story not Columbia News Times. Sheesh get it together.

David Parker
David Parker 01/26/12 - 10:28 am

My hope is the grand jury

My hope is the grand jury that found no grounds to indict, used good judgement and did not come to the decision based on loyalty to their own. Until anything to the contrary, I commend them for their service.

Willow Bailey
20240
Willow Bailey 01/26/12 - 11:16 am

Ref: no indictment, so how

Ref: no indictment, so how did his eye get destroyed? Accidental?

David Parker
David Parker 01/26/12 - 01:04 pm

Without any hard evidence, it

Without any hard evidence, it is just as likely that during a melee involving a bunch of testosterone (to include high school boys), someone accidently struck the coach that way. Could have even been someone on his own team. They did over 100 interviews and if enough people corroborated the theory that a particular player assaulted the coach, the GBI would have insisted that the grand jury was bias. This event had alot of ugliness to it and putting it to rest is not one of the worst things to have happen to it. Again, I HOPE that they based the decision on fact and not loyalty.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 01/26/12 - 01:51 pm

Raul....yes...that's the

Raul....yes...that's the plan..

iLove
iLove 01/26/12 - 02:20 pm

RANT: IF I COULD CHANGE ONE

RANT: IF I COULD CHANGE ONE thing in history, we would not have had slavery. I wonder what our country would be like today if we had not brought slaves here?

ANSWER: There would not be a USA. Duh. Who do you think built everything and tended to the crops? Were you educated in SC or something?

Your attempt was just that.....my my, how much I love the South...

iLove
iLove 01/26/12 - 02:22 pm

Of all the events in history

Of all the events in history to change you want to change that?! Why not change the fact that this country has bullied other countries for centuries. . . .now the chickens are coming home to roost. Duh.

iLove
iLove 01/26/12 - 02:40 pm

Re. Hancock County Maybe I'm

Re. Hancock County Maybe I'm wrong, but the COACH threw the first 3 punches. The STUDENT only responded....I believe that is what I read....so no charges because the COACH did it.

But I wonder what if the shoe was on the other foot??? Well we all know....just read the comments from the first article about this story.

"According to the report, the witness saw Daniel push the Hancock Central player three times and hit him in the face before the player punched back twice"

"The district attorney added that Daniel, according to the GBI report, told an EMT that he had been accidentally hit in the face by one of his own player’s helmets when the player was swinging at someone else. "

David Parker
David Parker 01/26/12 - 02:55 pm

Considering how difficult it

Considering how difficult it would be to get a conviction with approximately 100 witnesses with 2 opposing views of what happened split about right down the middle. I'm not shocked with no indictment. Whether these two schools remain on each other's 2012 - 2013 schedule is the question that remains. Seems like dropping the matchup would be submitting to the will of the animosity. Playing through is going to be the best remedy now. Hope that's how they roll with it.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/26/12 - 03:00 pm

Thanks to the education I

Thanks to the education I received BEFORE the federal government got involved, I was able to determine that I am paying 30% in taxes on my pay. And some people say that since I make a decent salary I should pay even more to help pay for some body that doesn't have a job. I have a better idea. Get you own job and stay the heck out of my pockets!!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/26/12 - 03:22 pm

Ilove, the USA would have

Ilove, the USA would have survived and thrived without slavery. The people utilizing slaves would have learned to manage with other means. After all, those who did not own slaves made it OK, right? Before slavery was introduced, everyone figured out how to do it, right? There are many good reasons to wish that it had never happened, one of which is the underclass of a specific group of citizens created and perpetuated by racism and bigotry; and now by entitlements.

dougk
dougk 01/26/12 - 03:33 pm

An amazing prediction,

An amazing prediction, itsanotherday1. I recommend any US history book and also any current legitimate source of data on what groups in the U.S. receive "entitlements."

countyman
countyman 01/26/12 - 03:42 pm

Harrisburg is attracting

Harrisburg is attracting young professionals, but not to the level of Summerville, Olde Town, Waters Edge, Forest Hillls, or the CBD.. Harrisburg sits in a great situation to really prosper... The side between Metcalf street and Summerville is nice homes and manicured lawns.. The other side of the neighborhood between Eve street and 15th street is where the most change will occur.. The Kroc Center, First Stop Village, First Stop Center, Eve street row, and Broad Mill Village.. The residents of Harrisburg need to make sure the Sibley Mill includes residential.. Retail and office space along with residential is perfect, but atleast residential by itself.. Mr. Boardman purchased the Martha Lester school on broad, and hopefully it becomes residential.. There's a great opportunity to attract local businesses( coffee shop, bookstore, restaurant) on Broad street in Harrisburg..

raul
raul 01/26/12 - 04:33 pm

@conservativeman/countyman.

@conservativeman/countyman. Thanks for your comments.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 01/26/12 - 04:55 pm

Harrisburg was attractive to

Harrisburg was attractive to at least one young professional wanting to live nearby. It was also frightening once he saw suspicious activity that looked like drug-trafficking and solicitation and then discovered someone had been murdered somewhere on the property they rented. Therefore, he moved out. It is no good to attract residents if there isn't going to be peaceful living conditions while they live there. You can't really fault them for leaving. What can be done to change this pattern?