Rants & Raves

  • Follow Metro

Comments from readers:

IT SICKENS ME about Fort Discovery. All of these golfers, made famous by the Masters, could have put in some of their money to save it. Augusta is dead, dead, dead.

AFTER THE DUST settles on the ASU-GHSU merger, very slowly and quietly, parts and pieces of the medical school will be moved to Athens. No one will notice because there will still be one university in town.

FOR THE PERSON that thinks you should construct a fence so the pretty side faces the neighbors: If I’m paying for the fence, guess who is going to see the pretty side?

DEFINITION OF A TRUE HERO: A 9-year-old young man with faith in GOD, who showed strength, courage, bravery and was/will always be an inspiration to others. In addition this young man loved the outdoors, was intelligent and regarded as an “official” fireman. His shining star will forever shine and be a light in the lives of others. The TRUE HERO is PATRICK CHANCE.

RAVE TO Beverly Birdsong for rescuing the puppies who were left homeless and motherless. Thank you for being their “Mommy” and an “Angel of Mercy.” GOD BLESS their Mama Marley.

GOT A GREAT idea and name suggestion for ASU/GHSU = ASU should remain Augusta State University. GHSU should return to the Medical College of Georgia. Enough Said!

ANNOYING COMMERCIALS? How about tire store radio ads?

WONDER HOW MANY times the Augusta Mayor when he was young watched the movie Field of Dreams?

BAD IDEA TO merge ASU/GHSU, especially with Dr. Azziz at the helm. Dr. William Bloodworth has done a wonderful job as President of ASU and overseeing tremendous growth. MCG was certainly a better quality medical center before it became known as GHSU.

IN REGARD TO the rant about the optical company, they need to get a little lizard.

I LIVE IN A HOUSING project. I don’t feel safe. I call the police and they will come out, but one officer says “I used to live next to these people; they don’t bother anybody.” Of course they won’t bother you, you’re a policeman. I just wish I could get some help from somebody.

Comments (58) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
Little Lamb
48900
Points
Little Lamb 01/25/12 - 10:55 am
0
0
Exactly, itsanotherday. If

Exactly, itsanotherday. If you are going to raise the capital gains tax rate and the stock dividend tax rate, you will end up raising them on everybody.

Little Lamb
48900
Points
Little Lamb 01/25/12 - 10:58 am
0
0
If you raise capital gains

If you raise capital gains tax rates, you are hitting what the Marxists call "the investor class" with higher taxes. Those taxes go to the government instead of being invested in factories, stores, new inventions, new service businesses, etc. Private investment will go down as more money goes into the government general fund to put more people into what I call "the entitlement class."

Riverman1
93346
Points
Riverman1 01/25/12 - 11:19 am
0
0
LL, yep. The Democrats are

LL, yep. The Democrats are appealing to the Know Nothings. They will destroy the American economy by decreasing investments that provide jobs.

Jane18
12332
Points
Jane18 01/25/12 - 11:33 am
0
0
Wow!! I had no idea that

Wow!! I had no idea that other people couldn't stand to see or hear Obama either. I thought I was the only one that got those nauseous feelings...................

David Parker
7923
Points
David Parker 01/25/12 - 11:56 am
0
0
The 30% comment was directed

The 30% comment was directed at the 2% who make over 250K per year, not the other 98% of America. I can understand those who make over 250K getting ruffled by this but I'm not in the elite 2%. I'm a struggler. So if I smell something rotten with the affluent making moves to avoid taxation, although legal, I'm not down with it. I figure their taxes should mimic mine with regard to ratio. When I fork up 20 % of my 30K annual, it has a different impact on my overall finances b/c it doesn't leave me with much room. When you drop 20% of a quarter mil, there is quite a bit left to live on and then some. I'm so very aware that this is against the tenets of capitolism but I'll be dead and buried before I'm going to champion a ideology that effectively benefits only 2% of the population of this country. thanks.

Riverman1
93346
Points
Riverman1 01/25/12 - 11:54 am
0
0
Dave Parker, here is the

Dave Parker, here is the problem. Let's say a guy I know very well made lots of money one year in the stock market and got hit with a tremendous tax bill of 38%. That was under the old tax code. He had to pay taxes on his stock profits alone about 80 grand. Now the next year he loses 50 grand. He can only take off a few thousand of the loss. I mean it's so little this person can't even remember what the tax loss he could declare over a few years actually was. It was peanuts.

So there's even more to this idea of those making money in capital gains are only paying 15%. They really are paying much, much more.

David Parker
7923
Points
David Parker 01/25/12 - 12:09 pm
0
0
Just to keep things real. If

Just to keep things real. If you can convince me the two percent AREN'T using their additional resources to circumvent the tax system by hiding money or whatever little tricks they have at their disposable, then I can sympathize with the ghastly unfairness that the rich are being subjected to with regard to capital gain taxation? Again, I know it's against everything that this country believes in, myself included to a degree, but I want to close the gap between the 2% and us. And if I want it, I'm betting the other 98% want it too. I'll go one further, I'm betting the rest of the 98% don't feel comfortable with the rigid capitalistic (or is it capitolistic?) implementation that the 2% are pushing either. SO, for better or for worse, it's the consensus, the government needs to get out of the way of itself and let democracy settle this thing. again for better or worse.

David Parker
7923
Points
David Parker 01/25/12 - 12:12 pm
0
0
I said GOOD DAY SIR!!!

I said GOOD DAY SIR!!!

hah, couldn't resist.

Riverman1
93346
Points
Riverman1 01/25/12 - 12:18 pm
0
0
Dave Parker, here is the

Dave Parker, here is the reality if you are getting philosophical. You can't punish those who go flat out gambling on investments, working 20 hour days and doing all kinds of things that could leave them either wealthy or broke. You have to understand some are going to excell although they take super risks. They shouldn't be punished. They bring others along with them by providing jobs for the more cautious.

Riverman1
93346
Points
Riverman1 01/25/12 - 12:25 pm
0
0
Hey Willow...I hope you saw

Hey Willow...I hope you saw my response to your question about my comment about Billy Graham's daughter. I meant nothing but respect for the lady. Billy Graham was someone even my Uncle Shakey admired and he was more into the gospel types watching them on Sunday morning drinking 16 oz Old Mills while smoking Camels.

allhans
24859
Points
allhans 01/25/12 - 12:58 pm
0
0
I like the $3,000 a year

I like the $3,000 a year reduction in mortgage payments at NO cost to taxpayers. The banks will pay through Fees levied by the government .

Now..Who will be paying this $3,000 year??

David Parker
7923
Points
David Parker 01/25/12 - 01:13 pm
0
0
I know you can't punish the 2

I know you can't punish the 2 % by requiring them to throw in a higher divvy just b/c they have it.

But using Ayn Rand's " The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me?" as a reasoning to avoid paying taxes at a ratio that is comprable to the other 98% isn't copacetic.

Little Lamb
48900
Points
Little Lamb 01/25/12 - 01:19 pm
0
0
I'm sure you know the answer

I'm sure you know the answer to your question, allhans; but I will answer here for those who don't think as critically as you:

Answer: Non-refinanced-mortgagee bank customers.

His mortgage-refinance gimmick is another wealth redistribution program from one person to another.

Sargebaby
4693
Points
Sargebaby 01/25/12 - 01:26 pm
0
0
I personally hold the record

I personally hold the record for not listening to any of PBO's speeches. I've missed every one! I just can't give a hoot about a president that throws jobs and money away.

Willow Bailey
20605
Points
Willow Bailey 01/25/12 - 01:28 pm
0
0
On the fence issue, build a

On the fence issue, build a shadow box, problems solved. Looks better, holds up better, too.

Willow Bailey
20605
Points
Willow Bailey 01/25/12 - 01:40 pm
0
0
River, I always check for

River, I always check for your responses to me. Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the lyrics yesterday. Working on my French:)

Riverman1
93346
Points
Riverman1 01/25/12 - 01:49 pm
0
0
Thanks, Willow...ha. DaveP,

Thanks, Willow...ha.

DaveP, what 98% are you referring to who pay a certain effective tax rate?

David Parker
7923
Points
David Parker 01/25/12 - 02:24 pm
0
0
There is only one River.

There is only one River. Whether it's effective is not the point. Appropriation is seperate.

but I do like the idea of building a shadow box instead of trying to fix teh country.

Riverman1
93346
Points
Riverman1 01/25/12 - 02:28 pm
0
0
DavidP, the lower half pays

DavidP, the lower half pays zero effective taxes.

15% is Romney's EFFECTIVE rate. Most Americans pay far less. Average effective tax rate for households with incomes below $200,000 a year is only 9.9%. At $1 million a year it finally goes up to 18.9%.

David Parker
7923
Points
David Parker 01/25/12 - 03:19 pm
0
0
I see what you are getting at

I see what you are getting at and without the good sense to prepare with numbers and percentages, I really can't argue the accuracy.

I'm not following the "lower half". As I understood it though, the 98% is made up of everyone who makes less than 300k per. (see http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/05/24/business/economy/economix...). That leaves 2% who are making over that amount. I think half a percent are under 500k, etc.

So I don't see things in halves. Are you saying that everyone in the 98% underpays and everyone outside of the 98% but making less than a mil overpays? I'd like to understand this but i'm getting distracted by my shadow box project.

David Parker
7923
Points
David Parker 01/25/12 - 03:24 pm
0
0
ps. Don't throw in Romney

ps. Don't throw in Romney propaganda. I'm trying to focus on the discrepancies that yall are pointing out with Obama policy.

harley_52
25799
Points
harley_52 01/25/12 - 03:30 pm
0
0
Riverman, you're busting the

Riverman, you're busting the big lie, but many people don't understand your point. Sadly, the difference between "gross income" and "taxable income" is too technical to comprehend.

seenitB4
97022
Points
seenitB4 01/25/12 - 03:47 pm
0
0
nzuri usiku upendo wangu

nzuri usiku upendo wangu kuona wewe kesho

allhans
24859
Points
allhans 01/25/12 - 04:39 pm
0
0
I guess it's night someplace

I guess it's night someplace :)

BTW..Did Obama really say we would sell cars to Korea?
I never saw Korea as being a market for American built cars.
Maybe he wants to build a plant there?

Riverman1
93346
Points
Riverman1 01/25/12 - 05:16 pm
0
0
So Scott Peebles is now

So Scott Peebles is now having his name throw out as the likely successor to Ronnie Strength?

I don't know who will run against him besides Roundtree, but if the Boardman-Copenhaver faction decides on a candidate, bet on him/her. They run the place these days. I don't know if they are interested in the politics of the Sheriff's office, but you never know.

Didn't Peebles daddy used to be a cop? Wasn't he fired after some trouble? Not that I hold that against him, but just trivia.

AutumnLeaves
10250
Points
AutumnLeaves 01/25/12 - 05:20 pm
0
0
I can truly empathize with

I can truly empathize with the last ranter in the paper. I can not tell you how many times I heard similar things when I would try to do my civic duty and report crimes and misdemeanors. And this was in a neighborhood that I moved to, thinking it would be a BETTER place to live than the one where we had been broken into. I hope they had better luck than we did. When we got good responses from officers it was such a blessing and a relief, but the discounting and dismissive attitude by certain officers, thankfully no longer on the force except one, contributed to my not feeling safe in my own home.

AutumnLeaves
10250
Points
AutumnLeaves 01/25/12 - 05:31 pm
0
0
Please. If you are typing at

Please. If you are typing at the library, do not type as if your fingers are sledgehammers. I purposely try to avoid a certain regular that is typing so hard it is very possible he may damage the keyboards, it is loud and it is irritating, but it seems he has more time on the computers than the rest of us and manages to plop down at the desk next to me after I sit down no matter how far I get from him when I come in. The library is supposed to be a quiet place, and he is banging those keys far harder than is necessary. And that's when he isn't aggravated. I hope the keyboards can take the punishment, but I suspect they won't for long.

allhans
24859
Points
allhans 01/25/12 - 10:30 pm
0
0
I might go for Scott

I might go for Scott Peebles..after we get all the candidates and can make comparisons.

Back to Top

Search Augusta jobs