Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IT SICKENS ME about Fort Discovery. All of these golfers, made famous by the Masters, could have put in some of their money to save it. Augusta is dead, dead, dead.

AFTER THE DUST settles on the ASU-GHSU merger, very slowly and quietly, parts and pieces of the medical school will be moved to Athens. No one will notice because there will still be one university in town.

FOR THE PERSON that thinks you should construct a fence so the pretty side faces the neighbors: If I’m paying for the fence, guess who is going to see the pretty side?

DEFINITION OF A TRUE HERO: A 9-year-old young man with faith in GOD, who showed strength, courage, bravery and was/will always be an inspiration to others. In addition this young man loved the outdoors, was intelligent and regarded as an “official” fireman. His shining star will forever shine and be a light in the lives of others. The TRUE HERO is PATRICK CHANCE.

RAVE TO Beverly Birdsong for rescuing the puppies who were left homeless and motherless. Thank you for being their “Mommy” and an “Angel of Mercy.” GOD BLESS their Mama Marley.

GOT A GREAT idea and name suggestion for ASU/GHSU = ASU should remain Augusta State University. GHSU should return to the Medical College of Georgia. Enough Said!

ANNOYING COMMERCIALS? How about tire store radio ads?

WONDER HOW MANY times the Augusta Mayor when he was young watched the movie Field of Dreams?

BAD IDEA TO merge ASU/GHSU, especially with Dr. Azziz at the helm. Dr. William Bloodworth has done a wonderful job as President of ASU and overseeing tremendous growth. MCG was certainly a better quality medical center before it became known as GHSU.

IN REGARD TO the rant about the optical company, they need to get a little lizard.

I LIVE IN A HOUSING project. I don’t feel safe. I call the police and they will come out, but one officer says “I used to live next to these people; they don’t bother anybody.” Of course they won’t bother you, you’re a policeman. I just wish I could get some help from somebody.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 01/25/12 - 04:16 am
The RCSO has a housing unit.

The RCSO has a housing unit. Contact the Sheriff's Office and ask for a supervisor within this unit to stop by. They will assist you with your problems and will also work with you and others in the community if you really want additional police presence and/or are willing to help them actually solve the problems within the area. Often, the police are called in but when they do take action or provide for additional police presence, they are then accused of harassing individuals for no good reason. If a crime has been committed and the deputies are able to confirm this, they will take action. You can help be part of the solution by having your law abiding neighbors come together and work with the Sheriff’s Office and support them when they are in the area and when they have to make arrests which will certainly happen if you are in fact having problems within the area.

As for the fence, simply ask your neighbor if they would like to pay for 1/2 of the fence or pay for the additions to make their side look good as well with you are having it constructed. We talk to people across the country on the internet but so many fail to have productive and positive conversations with their neighbors anymore - you can help make a positive change within your neighborhood and community.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/25/12 - 08:11 am
Dr. Azziz is in the wrong

Dr. Azziz is in the wrong business.....do you realize he gets more press time than Deke--or the President.......wow...

good morning sleepins---rise & shine

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/25/12 - 08:13 am
Why can't a fence have 2

Why can't a fence have 2 pretty sides....about adds.....I don't like pop up adds....on here especially.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/25/12 - 08:18 am

ain't nothing wrong with a little country in the am...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/25/12 - 08:23 am
Yes...I saw the Presidents

Yes...I saw the Presidents speech last night......I just wondered ...do they all take some kind of drug right before they get together....they seemed so happy to see each other...hugs/kisses/smooches & stuff but in real life it is dog eat dog...
I was not impressed....but I will say the guy is sewing up the hispanic vote..heh

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/25/12 - 08:25 am
For those who don't like my

For those who don't like my broken thinking...please put me on ignore...cause this is the way my brain works....

thankya veeery much.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/25/12 - 09:05 am
Good morning, SeenIt. You

Good morning, SeenIt. You have that fancy new computer. Did you get a clapper to log on and off with it?

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/25/12 - 09:22 am
I don't need a dad burn

I don't need a dad burn clapper----I just say sweet nothings to it & it jumps to attention.......:)

What did you think of the speech last night??

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 01/25/12 - 09:33 am
To the last ranter, I

To the last ranter, I understand your pain. When you ask to improve your surounding, you are denied because of your status. I hope things imrove for you, just keep fighting! To those who haven't lived in a place like a housing project and talk down about them, you have no say, because most of you all just think that people who live in one, just want to stay poor to collect welfare, do drug and enjoy it and dont want better for themselves!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/25/12 - 09:35 am
I know you weren't talking to

I know you weren't talking to me, SeenIt, but I'll mention the thing that is bugging me about the speech. Obama says again that it is wrong for Buffett to pay a lower tax rate than his secretary pays, and then drops it.

What is his proposal? Should we lower the earned income tax rate to 15 per cent? The alternative is to raise the capital gains tax rate and the stock dividend tax rate to 35 per cent. Or compromise and meet in the middle.

The point is, Obama never says.

The fact is, America's economy (indeed any country's economy) is crucially dependent on investors to make it possible for the working class to work. If you raise the capital gains tax rate, you are killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

Why won't anyone say that but me?

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/25/12 - 09:43 am
LL....You can answer me

LL....You can answer me anytime you please...you are on my fav list ya know.....:)

I agree with you but it does bother me about Cayman Islands thinngy & swiss bank accounts....from all with the millions to stash away.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/25/12 - 09:58 am
Good Mornng LL, I have an

Good Mornng LL, I have an appointment this a.m., so got to rush. Like your comment. What a great campaign speech, but what about the State of the Union?

Good Morning everyone!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/25/12 - 10:08 am

To all my sweet men on here....you know who you are...most are on my email list....:):)
gotta go///will be back later

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/25/12 - 10:10 am
Keep the sweet nothings

Keep the sweet nothings coming guys....makes my day!!

allhans
allhans 01/25/12 - 10:13 am
Buffet should give his

Buffet should give his secretary a raise. That might even things out.
But then He wouldn't be helping Obama retain his power.
I found it interesting that he wants Congress to approve a
b ill that gives him more power. This would only work well if we vote in his opposition.
( Does he know our Fred?)

He wants to give mortgage holders a $3000.00 a year reduction by refinancing at the current value. This won't cost the taxpayers a thing, it will be paid for through bank fees...(yes, I am laughing).
He also said that when you keep kids in school you will have more getting diplomas...Smart, very smart...
I could go on, but the man is boring.

allhans
allhans 01/25/12 - 10:17 am
On the fence complaint. If

On the fence complaint. If you purchase a home with a privacy fence you will know that your neighbor owns the fence if you have the rough side. The fence owner usually ALWAYS gets the smooth side.
So if you have the unattractive side, then you know your neighbor PAID for the fence and thus has a right to make the decision.

kmb413
kmb413 01/25/12 - 10:37 am
Good morning. Seenit, my

Good morning. Seenit, my rule is never trust someone who can smile at you and at the same time tell you where to shove it! Saw that a lot in the military, politics.

harley_52
harley_52 01/25/12 - 10:39 am
Little Lamb, he did say his

Little Lamb, he did say his proposal for Buffet and the others who are "millionaires and billionaires."

He said none of them should pay Federal Income Taxes at a rate less than 30%.

harley_52
harley_52 01/25/12 - 12:19 pm
How does a state pass and

How does a state pass and enforce a law that all "will graduate from high school?"

Edit...The actual proposal said "graduate, or turn 18." I missed the "turn 18" part when listening last evening and was corrected by fftaz71 this morning which I appreciate.

happychimer
happychimer 01/25/12 - 10:43 am
I liked the speech last

I liked the speech last night. Before the President spoke, he told Panetta,"Good job!" We now know what that was about. The Seals who killed bin laden resued 2 hostages in Samalia. One is an American.The operation was ongoing as the President made his speech.

TNTHOMSON
TNTHOMSON 01/25/12 - 10:48 am
The RNC add put up after the

The RNC add put up after the prez's campaign speech demonstrating clearly that obama is spouting the same old rhetoric year after year he's been in office. If obama hasn't 'COMPROMISED' and fixed anything in three plus years surely its time to give someone else a shot.....

His "give everyone a fair shot AND a fair share" speech fails to mention exactly what is everyone's fair share, and his Buffet analogy fails to entertain having Warren Buffet's secretary pay taxes at Buffet's (capital gains) lower rate.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/26/12 - 03:40 pm
For you pro-tax, pro big

For you pro-tax, pro big government types; this is a prime example of what we are tired of. This happens to be a minority in Judge Judy's court, but it just as easily have been anybody on the dole.

I didn't get any comments on this. I thought it might at least raise the hackles on the libs.

allhans
allhans 01/25/12 - 11:03 am
Mitch Daniel said more in 15

Mitch Daniel said more in 15 mins than Obama did in his hour+ rerun.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/25/12 - 11:05 am
INRE fences: Finished side

INRE fences: Finished side out 1. Curb appeal 2. unfinished side is easy to climb.( three steps on the stringers and you are over a 6ft fence)

INRE SOTU speech- I watched Bug Wars instead. More interesting.

myopinion3
myopinion3 01/25/12 - 11:11 am
My fence guy told me it was a

My fence guy told me it was a county ordinance that the outside be the least accessible side. If you are fencing off a pool you want all the beams and supports on the inside to keep little children from climbing over.

fftaz71
fftaz71 01/25/12 - 11:14 am
Forgive me if the points

Forgive me if the points already been made, but Harley the whole statement regarding graduation rates was that no state should allow someone to drop out of high school before the age of 18 to encourage higher graduation rates. He didnt say nobody could fail.
That being said, forcing someone to stay in school until they are 18 sounds great, but it may also be counter productive. My brother in law, a very intelligent, well educated person, dropped out of high school at 16 with his mother's permission. He has worked since day one, is married with a very intelligent 15yr old daughter, owns his own house and is financially secure. Eventually he got his GED and he is now about to graduate from college with a degree in safety engineering with a 3.9GPA. His reason for dropping out of school? It posed no challenge to him- he was bored stiff and the school could not challenge him without overextending itself to the other kids in his class. It sounds great to say no one can drop out, but, at the same time how do we challenge the ones who are bored by an unstimulating environment without stifling the ones who are barely keeping up?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/25/12 - 11:42 am
I have to admit, Harley, that

I have to admit, Harley, that I did not listen to the speech. I get nauseous every time I hear Obama speak. But, if he did indeed say what you said, that no one "should pay Federal Income Taxes at a rate less than 30%," then what he really is saying is "Raise the capital gains tax rate to 30% and raise the stock dividend tax rate to 30%."

That is a non-starter and he knows it.

I own some stocks and mutual funds that pay dividends. So when I pay income taxes, I pay 15% on those dividends. Sure, I pay 28% on my wages. You have to blend it all together to get the average effective rate at the end. But now I can hear the cries of average, ordinary Americans who are not millionaires or billionaires saying, "This is a tax increase on non-millionaires. What's fair about that?"

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/25/12 - 11:45 am
@ inmyopinion — What if you

@ inmyopinion — What if you are not fencing off a pool?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/25/12 - 11:49 am
On Obama.. I thought I saw a

On Obama.. I thought I saw a news clip this A.M. (like LL, my butt wants to take an Alka Seltzer every time I hear him speak, so I tune him out) where he commented that he wanted to raise CG rates on the wealthy to 30%. Who and what defines wealthy?

David Parker
David Parker 01/25/12 - 11:50 am
Regarding fence, it would be

Regarding fence, it would be nice if they built two pretty-sided fence for sure. Fort Discover has been closed for a minute already and has more recently been bought, but yes, it is sad that the kiddos won't have a science funpark anymore. The merger = dead horse, it's happening and disention is futile, better to work with the current than swim against it at this point no? Moving on, I love heros and Mercy Mamas. Annoying commercials, don't get me started. I WANT A BIG HONKING STADIUM ON THE RIVER TO WATCH SOME BASEBALL, that comes across clearly enough i expect. Lastly, monkey holes, iron-triangles, they go by many names, but the neighborhoods with too much crime do take an unfair toll on the folks that are good people. The issue should be addressed and I'm one of those who believes those folks who want to better their neighborhood should organize and demand attention from their representatives. happy humpdays all around.!!!