Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THE GOVERNOR OF Geor­gia says more money should be spent on schools. Most of the property taxes already go there. Parents who have children need to spend more time on discipline and teaching proper behavior. The majority of the parents aren’t at home all day. This costs them more to work than it does to stay at home. More money in the schools is not needed.

IF I WAS ONE OF over 10 million unemployed receiving $300 a week and food stamps free, I would donate without hesitation to help Obama make our country socialist.

RECENTLY MY HUSBAND and I shopped at Kroger on Washington Road. It was raining and cold; my husband is a stroke victim and was trying to help me with the groceries when an employee, Jimmy Mack, came to our rescue, helping my husband into the car and putting away the groceries. Then another lady was distressed because her car alarm went off, and he was off to help her, too. He was probably soaked by then, but he kept smiling. If we had more people like him, it sure would be a better world. Thank you.

WHY DON’T WE go ahead and name the new school “The Great AZZIZ University” and save several signage changes?

MIGHT I RECOMMEND that GHSU and ASU both keep their unique names, logos, etc., with the addendum for each: “A Division of the Medical and Liberal Arts College System of Augusta.” How many millions of dollars might that approach to a name “change” save?

WHY DOESN’T THE city bus go out to Fort Gordon and to the airport? I would also like the city bus to run on Sundays and run on Tobacco Road and Windsor Spring Road and other streets in south Augusta. We who live in south Augusta really need and welcome the service.

IF COLUMBIA COUNTY would quit building schools for the people from Richmond County that want to move to Columbia County to escape from Augusta, then they might have some money left for other school kids and the rest of people in Columbia County, especially the old people. We get nothing.

WE NEED NO SCHOOL consolidation. Remem­ber the good old days. If your son wanted to learn agriculture, you sent him to Clemson. If he wanted to be a doctor, you sent him to MCG. If he wanted to play football, you sent him to Alabama.

scgator
scgator 01/21/12 - 08:37 pm
IF I WAS ONE OF over 10

you're disgusting! you ASSUME that everyone collecting unemployment is enjoying the free ride! After 30+ years in manufacturing, I was on unemployment over 2 years. The "system" said at my age, I was not what the job market was looking for; and as for the freebie food stamps, I was told that my wife and I "qualified" for $85.00 per month. So, I understand your disdain, but don't "paint all of us with the same brush."

scgator
scgator 01/21/12 - 08:41 pm
IF COLUMBIA COUNTY would quit

TRANSLATION (LIBERAL)......IF COLUMBIA COUNTY WILL QUIT GIVING TO OTHERS, THEN I CAN HAVE "MINE." I RIGHTLY DESERVE IT, BECAUSE I WAS HERE FIRST...........

corgimom
corgimom 01/21/12 - 09:14 pm
"WHY DOESN’T THE city bus go

"WHY DOESN’T THE city bus go out to Fort Gordon and to the airport? "

It used to go to Ft. Gordon, but that route got dropped.

Because it's all about downtown.

TNTHOMSON
TNTHOMSON 01/22/12 - 10:34 am
30 + years in manufacturing?

30 + years in manufacturing? Must not have planned for any sort of retirement other than SS?

Go Newt. SC Women voted for you so I guess you're forgiven by them also.

Top of the morning corgimom.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/22/12 - 10:38 am
I think keeping the current

I think keeping the current names of the schools is the best idea, too. With time you simply add Augusta State University's above the Georgia Health Sciences University name.

happychimer
happychimer 01/22/12 - 11:08 am
TNTHOMSON so you did not grow

TNTHOMSON so you did not grow up in a small mill town like I did. Most worked in the mill, and made enough to live on and save some too.Money is not the key to happiness, so there is no reason to put down any for where they work.

happychimer
happychimer 01/22/12 - 11:14 am
I have learned that the ones

I have learned that the ones who brag about their great wealth are not wealthy at all. they just want people to think they are.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/22/12 - 11:21 am
HappyChimer, very true.

HappyChimer, very true.

TNTHOMSON
TNTHOMSON 01/22/12 - 11:41 am
happychimer feel free to

happychimer feel free to chime in and explain to the thread how you know money is not the key to happiness. All the poor people I know are not really happy especially with the way Obama has run the country into a dismal abyss -- just look to the OWS fools. They claim to be poor and are REALLY unhappy with just about everything....

happychimer
happychimer 01/22/12 - 12:08 pm
We don't have a lot of money,

We don't have a lot of money, but we have all we need. If I had lots of money I would share it . I am happy. I don't need lots of money to be happy.

allhans
allhans 01/22/12 - 12:19 pm
Since OWS was mentioned, can

Since OWS was mentioned, can I ask if ou saw the news about the rat problem the OWSers created? Rats, rats and more rats (the large, hairy kind).

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/22/12 - 01:33 pm
What is wrong with giving

What is wrong with giving someone a job application? Yeah, I know you are attempting to entice someone into violating child labor laws. But, wouldn't giving someone an application a hand up? Or are you all about a hand out? You must be one of those nasty, rich, Democrats.

Jake
Jake 01/22/12 - 01:37 pm
How about AGUSHA as the new

How about AGUSHA as the new name? Augusta Georgia University of Science, Health & Athletics. AGUSHA almost sounds like saying Augusta when you are drunk.

allhans
allhans 01/22/12 - 01:48 pm
From late nite TV: •President

From late nite TV:

•President Obama aired his first campaign ad of 2012, which promotes his record on clean energy. Obama’s a big environmentalist. In fact, for the election he plans to recycle the same promises he made four years ago.

Trouble
Trouble 01/22/12 - 01:58 pm
sean, can we get a "like"

sean, can we get a "like" button?..........a "dislike" button would be nice too........lol

oh, wait, we have a dislike button, it is called report..........

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/22/12 - 02:26 pm
Trouble, you did it again!!!

Trouble, you did it again!!!

Trouble
Trouble 01/22/12 - 02:43 pm
rk, it is a

rk, it is a talent......smooches darlin

gagentleman
gagentleman 01/22/12 - 03:18 pm
university of east georgia

university of east georgia jaguars has a good ring to it.

allhans
allhans 01/22/12 - 03:29 pm
Trouble It is not unusual for

Trouble
It is not unusual for me to look for the "like" button..but alas..

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 01/29/12 - 11:46 am
A few thoughts on wealth,

A few thoughts on wealth, money, and job applications.
- everything I read states conservatives consistently give more to charitable causes than liberals.
- I work hard for my money, pay my bills, carefully manage my debt, pay my taxes. I reserve my right and my liberty to exercise my judgement on the worthiness of the recipients of my charitable donations, both money and time. I want to understand how folks get into their respective situations; more money may not help if it will be used for bad or wasteful purpose.
- the government has no sense of morality; the less money it has the better we all are because a fool and his money is soon parted, and the government is usually foolish in spending.
- lots of happy poor folk and miserable rich folk.
- people are begging for job applications, including commenters today.

Fort Gordon bus route under 30 day review

Even as an experimental bus route continues to drain money from the city coffers, Augusta Commission committee members unwilling to end service to Fort Gordon granted Augusta Public Transit 30 ...