Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IT SEEMS TO ME the only people who are in favor of the Augusta college merger are politicians. Everything is just hunky-dory. Azziz has already screwed up one school. Why give him the chance to mess up two?

WHY ARE THEY cutting the poor people instead of the rich people? You can’t live off $47 a month in food stamps.

RE: THE FRONT-PAGE photo on Jan. 4 of the prisoner sitting in the wheelchair in the courthouse. The officers behind him had jackets on, but he didn’t have a coat or socks. I think that when a prisoner is taken from a warm jail cell to the courthouse, he should have socks and a jacket.

I WOULD LIKE TO thank the police, fire department and soldiers for everything they do – those who have given their lives and those who are still protecting us.

A GRATEFUL RAVE to the gentleman in a dark-blue truck the Saturday before Christmas. He stopped and helped push my car off the main road to the gas station on Peach Orchard when we ran out of gas (mind you, I’m seven-and-a-half months pregnant and had two children with me). We reluctantly asked for few dollars just to make it there, and this angel gave us $60 and told us he was just riding around that day looking for someone who was in need that he could help. I thank the Lord for sending us an angel when we needed it most.

THIS IS A RANT for the lottery. I don’t play Powerball so it makes no difference what it costs to play, but I do play Mega Millions, so if their price goes up I quit.

IN REGARD TO THE the rant about the optical TV commercial, it is the most ridiculous commercial I have ever seen.

I AM JUST A simple Army Ranger from Aiken. My heart sank when I saw the obituary for Sgt. Joseph A. Bowen. Welcome home, brother. To the Bowen family from Delta Company, 1st of the 75th. It is because of people like you. We stand tall.

RANTS TO THE person who came into my yard and stole two gazing balls that I paid $25 apiece for. I live on Ruby Drive, so you know who you are. I hope you get enough enjoyment out of them every time you look at them, think of me. It is not for me to judge you, but God surely will.

PRESIDENT OBAMA received the two-month tax extension on his Christmas wish list. Wonder what he hopes Cupid will bring him for Valentine’s Day?

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/12 - 06:05 am
Ruby Dr.-----I traveled that

Ruby Dr.-----I traveled that area many times in years past...I wish I could snap my fingers & make it safe again.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/12 - 06:59 am

Beautiful song...& you don't even have to be a fool to enjoy it...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/12 - 07:55 am

Speaking of fools......you will love this if ya like Hank Snow....

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/11/12 - 08:47 am
A quick Good Morning America

A quick
Good Morning America and a {{B4}}.

Yes Rant 3, we definitely have to start looking out for our "poor poor" criminals. They are being mistreated so bad!

Yes 4, They really deserve our "Thanks"

7, you have not seen too many commercials, Have You?

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/12 - 08:58 am
I can feel your sweet

I can feel your sweet hug...thanks Cgee..:)

Jeff Foxworthy just gave part of his farm to a trust....this ensures that it won't ever be developed.....This is in Harris county----100 miles south of Atlanta...He sez this place is his escape.. somewhere he can go & doesn't have to be Jeff Foxworthy....just Jeff...It was part of Callaways 40,000 acre Blue Springs Farm..... He has bass & even some eagles there...He wants to leave the next generation something.....

Thankyou Jeff------If only we all thought like that..

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/11/12 - 09:01 am
Ranter 2 better start

Ranter 2 better start thinking about plan B.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/11/12 - 09:22 am
Hey, SeenIt. Interesting

Hey, SeenIt. Interesting story about Foxworthy giving the land away.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/11/12 - 09:24 am
Howdy Doody Peeps!

Howdy Doody Peeps!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/11/12 - 09:28 am
If your dentist is missing

If your dentist is missing his two front teeth....you might be a redneck!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/12 - 09:44 am
Hi River &

Hi River & shrimp.....Foxworthy says he gets most of his jokes from real life....I can believe that..

Jeff Foxworthy sorts through scraps of paper to find his latest "You Might Be a Redneck" jokes.

Turns out you might be a redneck if you get pulled over for a speeding ticket with a mattress propped atop your car — Foxworthy saw that happen on the highway recently and knew he had to write it down.

You just might be a redneck if nothing under your Christmas tree is paid for. If you think "recipe for disaster" has something to do with your wife's chili, you might be a redneck. And if your wife's boss paid for her boob job, you might be a redneck.

"A guy told me that his wife works at a dentist's office and in lieu of a Christmas bonus he offered her breast augmentation — now, how many red flags is that?" Foxworthy says.

Foxworthy cranks out 365 "redneck" jokes a year for his popular one-a-day calendars alone, and finds examples everywhere.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/11/12 - 10:02 am
If your outhouse is a 3

If your outhouse is a 3 holer, you might be a redneck!!

David Parker
David Parker 01/11/12 - 10:24 am
rant 1 : Not convinced the

rant 1 :
Not convinced the only people on board with the merge are politicians. If I'm alone on the island then call me the exception but there are folks out there that see the opportunity and benefits of this action besides me i'm figuring. Look at the long term effects rather than the immediate transitional friction. Kind of seeing a forest for the trees thing.

Rant regarding food stamps. The abuse of the benefit causes the amount to go down b/c there is not as much to go around. Had alot of the purchases not been premium steaks and market-priced seafood, or vanilla extract (35% alcohol), or whatever, there would be more available to divy out. Those folks who are borderline but don't qualify or don't exercise their qualification for the program are spending actual dollars to purchase sale-item cube steak or chicken cut-ups to stretch their dollar. To ask them to boost the monthly balance of another individual's food stamp allotment is disrespectful and presumptuous. Those who abuse it, know it, those who don't should not have a problem with my statement.

Good morning!

TNTHOMSON
TNTHOMSON 01/11/12 - 10:28 am
The Supreme Court will hear

The Supreme Court will hear arguments this term regarding Texas not providing lunch for its prisoners....By serving only breakfast and dinner, the ACLU says those 'poor' prisoners will suffer....

I guess only two meals a day for a convict who spends his day lifting weights and watching TV falls under the Eighth Amendment?

happychimer
happychimer 01/11/12 - 10:36 am
I don't see a story on the

I don't see a story on the man growing a big "garden" in his one bedroom apartment. He was arrested yesterday morning. I thought that would be big news. The story and photo are on another news site.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/12 - 10:44 am
Well ole Gov. Deal sez

Well ole Gov. Deal sez this...
He wants to reward job creators with tax breaks..(ok-I like that)

He wants to reduce the amount of taxes business pay to buy energy--(ok-I like that)

He wants to spend $257.9 million to fund growth in the state's public school & colleges....well if you spend a few hundred of that on paddles I'll go along.....some just need a good ole fashioned whupping...yaknow the ones punching teachers...(don't even think of telling me I don't understand--it worked for years when I was in school)

Expansion begins of internet addresses...."com"or "org" will be common---many more endings to choose fromin the future.

For Iraq War vets---the next fight is finding a job....In the AJC today...

Seeya later--I have to get beautified & lord knows that will take forever...

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/11/12 - 11:11 am
ATL loses it's status as the

ATL loses it's status as the gayest city. Falls to #9. How did that happen? Is there a gay playoff system?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/11/12 - 11:46 am
I think it's a tournament!!

I think it's a tournament!!

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/11/12 - 12:14 pm
"can’t live off $47 a month

"can’t live off $47 a month in food stamps"

And therein lies the problem. I checked all of the documents from the founding of this country. I even ran a cursory search of an online bible. I don't see anywhere that you should be entitled to "live off" other people. I do see references in the bible about voluntarily helping people in need but nothing about the giverment forcibly taking from some to redistribute to others. $47 a month will buy more rice and beans than you probably want to eat in one month and is enough to keep you from starving. I think that is about as far as we are obligated to go. If you want fresh vegetables and steak I would recommend a second, or maybe a first job. Sorry to sound so crass but I am sick and tired of these "the giverment ain't giving me enough so let's take some more from somebody else and give it to me" crowd (as if we don't take enough already). If we happen to also be providing you with subsidized rent and medicaid I hope you find those amounts satisfactory. As one of the taxPAYING providers I would like to encourage you to make an effort to get off of welfare if you are not happy with your standard of living. Welfare as we know it today creates more addicts than drugs.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/11/12 - 01:07 pm
dichotomy, OLD but well

dichotomy, OLD but well written.

The folks who are getting the free stuff, don't like the folks who are paying for the free stuff, because the folks who are paying for the free stuff can no longer afford to pay for both the free stuff and their own stuff.

The folks who are paying for the free stuff want the free stuff to stop, and the folks who are getting the free stuff want even more free stuff on top of the free stuff they are already getting!

Now... The people who are forcing the people who pay for the free stuff have told the people who are RECEIVING the free stuff, that the people who are PAYING for the free stuff, are being mean, prejudiced, and racist.

So... The people who are GETTING the free stuff have been convinced they need to hate the people who are paying for the free stuff by the people who are forcing some people to pay for their free stuff, and giving them the free stuff in the first place.

We have let the free stuff giving go on for so long that there are now more people getting free stuff than paying for the free stuff.

Now understand this. All great democracies have committed financial suicide somewhere between 200 and 250 years after being founded. The reason? The voters figured out they could vote themselves money from the treasury by electing people who promised to give them money from the treasury in exchange for electing them.

The United States officially became a Republic in 1776, 235 years ago. The number of people now getting free stuff outnumbers the people paying for the free stuff. We have one chance to change that. In 2012. Failure to change that spells the end of the United States as we know it.

ELECTION 2012 IS COMING :
Tuesday, November 6, 2012
A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

toldyaso
toldyaso 01/11/12 - 01:17 pm
@ dichotomy, Amen.

@ dichotomy, Amen.

Cirroc2012
Cirroc2012 01/11/12 - 01:40 pm
#2 if you have paid into the

#2 if you have paid into the system and for some reason became unemployed due to no fault of your own, I can understand utilizing public assistance. It is sad to see these young unwed mothers, who have never worked one day in their life racking up on tax payers.

Cirroc2012
Cirroc2012 01/11/12 - 01:40 pm
#2 if you have paid into the

Common.sense
Common.sense 01/11/12 - 01:44 pm
Apparently the government

Apparently the government thinks that you make enough money to only need $47 a month in food stamps. How about managing your money better? You know, the stuff that people like me who would never get approved have to do. Oh what am I saying? Personal responsibility, forget about it.

To the mom who couldn't afford gas. Why are you having more kids if you can't afford gas for your car?

GaOldCompass
GaOldCompass 01/11/12 - 03:32 pm
A local television station

A local television station reported on the pan-handling in downtown Augusta. After interviewing both the business commission and the Sheriff's department that stated "there has not been an increase in pan-handling" they still aired the story calling it out of control. You can always find somebody to tell you what you want to hear no matter how off base it is.

harley_52
harley_52 01/11/12 - 03:46 pm
To the poster complaining

To the poster complaining about the prisoner being moved from a warm jail cell without a coat.....I say give him a coat and take away the warm jail cell. Put him in a tent.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/11/12 - 05:29 pm
I hope all you bowing humans

I hope all you bowing humans for our King SMCICBHO and his great Health care plan never see 70.

No Death Panel...Ha, Ha.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/11/12 - 05:45 pm
"Tensions between the rich

"Tensions between the rich and poor are increasing and at their most intense level in nearly a quarter-century, a new survey shows. Americans now see more social conflict over wealth inequality than over the hot-button topics of immigration, race relations and age"....And yet, many of you people say President Obama hasn't accomplished any of his goals!!

happychimer
happychimer 01/11/12 - 06:01 pm
If most people wait till they

bjphysics
bjphysics 01/11/12 - 06:03 pm
Court: Judges cannot get

Court: Judges cannot get involved in church dispute

“WASHINGTON (AP) — In a groundbreaking case, the Supreme Court on Wednesday held for the first time that religious employees of a church cannot sue for employment discrimination.

But the court's unanimous decision…”

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/11/12 - 06:28 pm
"If most people wait till

"If most people wait till they can afford to have kids, they would not have any kids at all."

Heck, I'll accept that comment to justify non-married teenagers to have a few children. Who knows, they may never be able to afford them untill they received government assistance.

Fire closes Broad Street

An early morning fire is closing parts of downtown Broad Street and motorists are advised to avoid the area around Ninth Street.