Rants & Raves

I HOPE THE person who killed Officer Richard­son watched his funeral. I bet he won’t have as many people come to his funeral.

THANKS FOR your story about Marietta Conner. What a blessing she is to her neighbors.

A RANT TO the ranter who spoke about filling stations not taking EBT for junk food. I’ve known quite a few poor people who get food stamps. They are not too poor to ask me to buy them so they can buy non-food items. They are laundering them everywhere and using them for rent. We are tired of our tax dollars supporting those who take advantage of the system.

WHO WILL IT BE? Perry? Romney? How strong are they on public safety? Do they know what we face in our neighborhoods every day? If they are disconnected from our fear, maybe they will find an adviser to help them understand what people in the South go through.

IF WE WON’T voluntarily spread the wealth then they must come and take it. It’s the Obama way.

IN THE MEADOW we can build a snowman … Oh wait, we can build a rain man.

DO YOU EVER ever watch Parking Wars? All those people were in the Target parking lot Saturday. Lots of people parking in the handicap zone should be glad our parking isn’t enforced.

WOMEN WHO HAVE had plastic surgery on their faces look funny. They look like cats.

NO MATTER WHAT spin the liberal media puts on it, I still live in the greatest country in the world. The fact we can all celebrate Christmas in our different ways without bombs is a tribute to that. Merry Christmas. May we all live in peace.

FOR PUBLIC SAFETY, we need an armed law enforcement officer at all 24/7s, whether they be restaurants or convenience stores. We need to clean out these shopping centers where these bums, derelicts and thieves hang out and get some police protection to protect the public from harassment.

IF ALVIN MASON’S incident occurred on the 23rd, why was he not arrested immediately instead of being allowed to turn himself in on the 27th? Anyone else would have spent the weekend in jail. I guess it is true: politicians do have privileges.

dichotomy
32037
dichotomy 01/03/12 - 08:05 am
"IF ALVIN MASON’S incident

"IF ALVIN MASON’S incident occurred on the 23rd, why was he not arrested immediately"

You know the answer.......PASS. I guess the Sheriff and Judge Slaby did not want to take a chance on jailing the possible next mayor of Augusta and incurring the wrath of the black community. They probably looked like cats covering up poop trying to make this look more like a parking ticket than domestic violence. All wife beaters should keep Judge Slaby's home phone number in their wallet. I lost a lot of respect for the Sheriff on this one. I already did not have any respect for our judges. Average Joe Citizen would have spent the night in the pokey and, with the next day being Saturday, probably Christmas day too.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/12 - 08:23 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/12 - 08:38 am
countyman said this last

countyman said this last night....

This amount of private construction doesn't happen in high crime areas.. The CBD speaks for itself in 2011, even Rural Sourcing located to the Enterprise Mill bringing 100 IT jobs... When people who can afford to live in West Augusta, Summerville, Forest Hills, Aiken, Evans, or Martinez choose to live in the CBD.. I don't think there's too much more to discuss...

Well.....I might as well shut this thing down & go back to bed because HE said there's nothing more to discuss & by golly we know his word is law...
countyman...I liked you sooo much better last wednesday...you were funny-smart--had a great sense of humor---dang you were good looking too...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/12 - 08:40 am
But ole Perry is still the

But ole Perry is still the top dog..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/12 - 08:43 am
I could have said "more"

I could have said "more" better---heheh

Shut my mouth----I hope I can be good today...

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/12 - 08:51 am
A Satisfied Mind The mind is

A Satisfied Mind
The mind is like an ice sculpture:
beautiful and yet so fragile.
A medium capable of intense illuminance and joy,
But far too greatly used for destruction.
Memories flicker, voices chatter,
A lifetime’s experience guides me.
People grappling, groping, pleading for internal happiness,
When the answer already resides within you.
An eternal sunshine masked by self-imposed rain clouds.

A best friend that can also be a greatest enemy,
At end of the day, you and it are inseparable.
Always craving more to achieve inner peace,
Oblivious that it is an appetite that can never satisfied,
Do not deviate from happiness; open and embrace it.
Fondly remember good times, discard less good memories,
Life is too short to fritter, worry, envy,
One may never be physically rich,
But you can be mentally abundant.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste....I'm going to try to keep mine busy today...

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/12 - 09:24 am

LLamb & Cgee....I bet you remember this great song...it never gets old..

Now I have bills to pay---clothes to wash--on & on.....seeya!

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/12 - 09:58 am
Hey Y'all. Check out the

Hey Y'all. Check out the fantastic thread we had on the Bobby Christine story in the CCNT yesterday and the ones I just posted. We had comments from Austin, Barry (who was communicating with Christine as the thread went on), a paid consultant, Lee Benedict sending copies of official forms that proved what he said, some idiot trying to slander and the great Riverman. Even Willow said something which is always a treat. We need to get SeenIt involved in Columbia County if she ever gets off this Rick Perry fantasy.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/03/12 - 10:07 am
Hey, RM, would you like me to

Hey, RM, would you like me to post the link to the Columbia County News-Times story? Well, here it is below:

Ethics and Judges and Politics

David Parker
David Parker 01/03/12 - 10:08 am
How many times have you heard

How many times have you heard someone say
If I had his money I'd do things my way
Hmm, but little they know
Hmm, it's so hard to find
One rich man in ten with a satisfied mind.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/12 - 10:13 am
LL, that was nice of you

LL, that was nice of you supplying the hyperlink. I neglected to say you also had posted over there on the story.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/03/12 - 10:31 am
Thanks for the Hank Williams

Thanks for the Hank Williams song, SeenIt. That is perhaps my favorite Hank Williams song.

And thanks for that poem and meditation. Did you write it?

TVVeedie added some lyrics from a song by the same title, A Satisfied Mind. That song was written by Ian Tyson who, with his wife, formed the folk duo Ian & Sylvia. They hailed from Canada, but came to New York to be part of the early 60s folk movement. A Satisfied Mind was picked up by Porter Waggoner, who had a pretty good-sized country hit with it. If I'm not mistaken, I think Bob Dylan recorded a version in the 1970s.

Ian Tyson also wrote Four Strong Winds, and Ian & Sylvia recorded it. That song was picked up by Bobby Bare, who had a big country hit with it.

Another Ian Tyson composition was Someday Soon. Johnny Cash recorded it, but my favorite version is by Judy Collins.

Canada gave us many great artists: Ian & Sylvia, Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murray — but my favorite of all was Hank Snow.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/12 - 10:40 am
When I hear Hank Snow what

When I hear Hank Snow what comes to mind is "I'm Moving On."

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 01/03/12 - 10:52 am
I read it Riverman and all

I read it Riverman and all the comments, it took awhile, haha! You are tireless!

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/12 - 11:01 am
Augusta Citizen, thanks. What

Augusta Citizen, thanks. What some don't realize is that those of us who comment as a hobby, obesssion or whatever you want to call are exactly what you said...tireless. We won't be beaten. But that thread over there was a classic with ALL the players involved. I'll bet one thing. Everyone knows about the Christine violation of the JQC canon by now.

Abbynoll
Abbynoll 01/03/12 - 11:06 am
On the Alvin Mason deal...

On the Alvin Mason deal... apparently, and thankfully, not many of you have had to deal with this sort of situation in your lives. I'll explain how this would usually go down. The wife/husband (yes, it happens to men too) calls and a deputy arrives... rarely the offender is still present. If there is very strong evidence that what occurred is the same as what the victim is reporting the deputy MAY... MAY... take out the warrant for simple battery, FV. Now, usually what happens is the deputy takes a report and then explains to the victim that they can go to the clerk of court and file an application for a warrant against the offender. In cases of FV, the victim is not charged. The victim files the application and then receives a court date where they go before the judge and explain what happened and why they believe the offender should have a warrant issued for their arrest. The offender has the right to be at this hearing and defend themselves, naturally.

Where we really run into issues is the offender is rarely there and even if there is evidence of a violence, the deputy does not have proof of WHO the offender is. (which is why they ask the victim to make their own application) It's a big catch-22. So, what I'm saying is, the deputy could've easily blown this off and told the victim to take the warrant out themselves, but he didn't. While Mason may have gotten a break in being booked in and out in warp speed fashion, he did not catch a break as far as law enforcement is concerned. They did their job to the best of their ability. 1/2 the time these offenders have to be stopped for something before they're picked up (when the LEO realizes they have a warrant against them). So, the fact that they actually proceeded with the arrest so quickly, even if they allowed him to turn himself in, is a rare thing. These incidences usually drag out over a period of months.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/03/12 - 11:11 am
I'm Moving On..... Back to

I'm Moving On..... Back to Laredo

Good Mourning Augusta

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/12 - 11:25 am
Augusta Citizen, LL and

Augusta Citizen, LL and others, the comments continue on the CCNT story about Christine. Interesting.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/03/12 - 11:31 am
LL, surely you didn't forget

LL, surely you didn't forget Paul Anka and on a much lesser note (looks aside) Shania Twain and Celine Deon.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 01/03/12 - 11:46 am
I'll go back and take a look

I'll go back and take a look Riverman, I had wanted to say you were tenacious at first, but wasn't sure how to spell it, haha!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/03/12 - 12:13 pm
Good Morning Ya'll!

Good Morning Ya'll!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/03/12 - 12:19 pm
dichotomy, re: 2011 arrests

dichotomy, re: 2011 arrests for domestic violence

The Biggest Travesty Arrest Award for 2011 goes to Caroline Neal. I say, if she could whip him without getting hurt, let her have a go at it.

daphne3520
daphne3520 01/03/12 - 12:39 pm
Speaking of Parking

Speaking of Parking Enforcement, or, LACK thereof, on either side of the river. What's up with that, anyway? And, how about people parking in clearly, I say, CLEARLY marked Fire Lanes, let alond Handicapped Parking spots, with NO enforcement? Whats going on with RCSO, Aiken County and North Augusta PD (who, by the way, seem to be OVERzealous in their speed law enforcement.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 01/03/12 - 12:57 pm
Good morning Willow, and I

Good morning Willow, and I agree with your "Biggest Travesty Arrest Award of 2011" too.

scratchthesurface
scratchthesurface 01/03/12 - 02:32 pm
I agree with you

I agree with you dichtomy...if it was the average augustan, they would have been in jail up until the New Year. WOW, the spoils of commissionhood.

cytoranger
cytoranger 01/03/12 - 03:20 pm
I.know CCSO is.on the parking

I.know CCSO is.on the parking thing. I.parked.my 010 fatboy in the strips.on the edge of a handicaped.spot at Walmart in Evans.and.got me a fat.ticket for it. Lesson learned. Didn't want to park in a.regular space cause I didn't want.it run over by a.soccer mom.

eagle
eagle 01/03/12 - 04:23 pm
Re: women who have plastic

Re: women who have plastic surgery looking like cats...you're insulting the cats!!

The one good thing about colder weather...everyone has their windows rolled up and their radios turned DOWN!!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/12 - 06:28 pm
LLamb..That poem was written

LLamb..That poem was written by Stryder ..a 25 year old guy.,I should have put that on there...

some info.on him...

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/03/12 - 07:05 pm
All the negativity over Alvin

All the negativity over Alvin Mason just says that you didn't "like or approve" of him prior to the incident. Any citizen with a property deed, the price of the bond or bondsman's fee would be out awaiting trial on these charges.

In fact, I'm willing to bet most of this stuff is dropped prior to the court date. I'm not minimizing the problems of domestic violence, but if the courts locked up everybody that pushed, shoved and slapped each other over the holidays, we'd have to add on to the jails and all of you know it.

This is silly to suggest there's something under handed going on with the court system over this. If anything, they have probably been more harsh on him than a regular Joe.

I say free Alvin! (contingent upon mandatory communications/relationship skills support group & counselling for one year, seriously.)

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/12 - 07:18 pm
Anybody remember that article

Anybody remember that article about Joe Neal Jr. being left behind by the other skiers and the search they had for him out west many years ago? He said they just left him behind. Maybe there's something about Joe...ya know?