Political refugee from Iraq defends his homeland

When the bombs started falling in 2003, Salih al-Badrany wondered whether the second invasion of his native Iraq would be as fleeting as the first one.

Within a week, al-Badrany realized that the dynamic of this war would be much worse.

The Americans said they wanted to establish democracy in Iraq and rescue the Iraqi people, but then they destroyed all the infrastructure, al-Badrany said in an interview through an interpreter.

Al-Badrany, now a political refugee living in Augusta, rose to prominence in the Arab Nationalist Party, starting in 1972. Political activity was stifled under the regime of Saddam Hussein; al-Badrany said he was under constant surveillance by secret police. But when war broke out in 1980 with Iran, al-Badrany threw his support behind the dictator and his efforts to defend his country.

The Iraqis are a very proud and patriotic people who can’t stand the idea of an occupying force in their country, al-Badrany explained.

Those feelings surfaced again in 1990 with the Gulf War. Al-Badrany said he supported the invasion of Kuwait, which he feels is a rightful possession of Iraq. The resulting war decimated the Iraqi army and placed the Middle Eastern nation under close international scrutiny. Al-Badrany said United Nations inspectors were well aware that there were no weapons of mass destruction or chemical agents under production in the years that followed the first Gulf War. Al-Badrany added that Hussein had no relationship with al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden or any ties to terrorism.

The premise for the second war in Iraq was a situation that President George W. Bush made up, al-Badrany said.

That Iraq was devastated and its political balance disrupted for what he perceives are lies is egregious in al-Badrany’s eyes.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/31/11 - 11:28 am
Go back to Iraq and see if

Go back to Iraq and see if you can change things. Your people will never live in peace because they never have. Too much religions differences and no tolerance. I will wager that your children would not want to return once they have see how others live together.

Wade Teston
Wade Teston 12/31/11 - 08:26 pm
Hey Salih, don't look now but

Hey Salih, don't look now but we left a lot of "weapons of mass destruction" behind this time, they are called "women who can read, write, and think for themselves, and not wear burkas!! There go's the neighborhood pal!!

AL Badrany
AL Badrany 01/06/12 - 07:39 pm
All societies have some

All societies have some traditions and habits, regardless of religion or cultures, and it not shameful that women in my country wear the veil, but the shame is forcing them to do so, and Saddam Hussein have never forced women to wear veils , and he used to punish who did that. I am not trying to defend Saddam Hussein, but I am saying the fact.
What happened during and after the war in Iraq , is that people who came with the occupying forces to my country Iraq (religious Shiite parties which are loyal to Iran and its dirty government ) despise women and force them to wear the veil. You can ask the American general who was in charge in south Iraq, how many women have been killed as a result of that mandatory order to wear the veil. I will let you search for that, and you will see the terrifying number. And remember the history of Iraq. Iraq is the cradle of primary civilizations

AL Badrany
AL Badrany 01/06/12 - 07:41 pm
Yes I will do that, but after

Yes I will do that, but after informing you and clarify some facts, and correct the false information about the war in Iraq, because you seem to have a shallow knowledge level, then you might realize the bitter truth, and the big tragedy that was created as a result of this war. I think many people do not wish to know the truth. Anyway the international court will clarify and claim its decision about the war criminals in Iraq.

AL Badrany
AL Badrany 01/06/12 - 08:00 pm
First of all, I have never

First of all, I have never been a USA agent, or given any information to the American forces in Iraq to satisfy the immigration requirement to come to the USA. I have never dreamed to immigrate and leave my country. I was wealthy, and had no reason to emigrate, and suffer from the solitude.
I have never been a betrayer to my country Iraq, although I left it with its catastrophe, as you would think.
I am really blame on the editor who didn’t mention why I am here, and that, after the 2003 war, I survived three assassination attempts, not to mention the kidnapping and torturing using an electrical drill to punch my bones. (you can send me your email, and I will send you some pictures, that reveal the barbarian, and brutal nature of those people who came to Iraq after the American occupation, I would call them betrayers and dirty agents.
Thus, I would like to clarify- not to defend Saddam Hussein- that Iraq had absolutely nothing to do with September 11 event, or any kind of other terrorism activities, but G. W. Bush and the political decision makers in the US. Who, in February 2003, have lied to the good American people, and the whole world by creating different false stories in the United Nations , by the secretary of state Collin Powell.
Those false facts, and lies, are mentioned in George Tenet(DCIs from July 11, 1997_July 11, 2004) at that time, Memoir(At The Center Of The Storm) I would recommend you to read his book.
I have been in the U.S.A for three years, during this time, I gained the sympathy and affection of its good and, innocent people. These are the same misled people whom George w Bush had succeeded in deceiving them by making up lies and false stories.
George w Bush has destroyed the U.S and Iraq. The number of killed and injured soldiers is terrifying, and you do not know, like many Americans, what happened in Iraq. You do not know that Six millions Iraqi fled Iraq, as a result of sectarian violence that America created . you do not know that one and a half million innocent Iraqi were killed, that four million child are orphans, that more than a half of Iraqi people, now, are under the poverty line, (Remember, Iraq one of the richest world countries), That, since the war started on 2003 until now, the oil in Iraq have being stolen in the name of delusive projects, and finally, the International Criminal court will judge, and condemn war criminals. Thus, I am determined to provide indications and proves that lead to the true motivation to this war.
I would like to inform you about three important things: 1st- In Iraq the state owns the oil, mean Wyle in the US, private companies has the possession of oil. 2ed- The war in Iraq has completely destroyed the infrastructure , except for oil ministry, and the harbor of oil exportation. 3ed- Wright After the fall of the Iraqi regime and when the American forces had dominated Bagdad, the famous Iraqi museum was completely stolen!!!. I hope you would think about that….

AL Badrany
AL Badrany 01/08/12 - 12:10 am
Let me tell you something

Let me tell you something about American tolerance, when they were attacked on September 11, and lost 3000 people… they started investigating and it took them about 15 minutes to decide and claim that an attack by Al-Qaida led by Osama Bin Laden ,has occurred. It took G.W. Bush a few days to decide to go to war on Afghanistan. The poor Afghan people under the brutal regime of Taliban had to suffer also from a war that did not distinguish between poor innocent people, women, and children. As a result more than 15000 Afghan people have been killed, not to mention the thousands poor misled young American soldiers who have been killed by Talban forces. Then, we came to Iraq to liberate people from a “ brutal regime” and establish democracy, as Iraq was the only country in the world that have a dictatorship regime, but that is ok. They have oil, and they have weapons of mass destruction, and chemicals, guess what , we need to go to marsh to find them, it looks like they were hidden on marsh.
Let me tell you something about tolerance. People in Iraq have been living together for thousands years in peace, different ethnicities (Arabs, Kurds, Syrians, Ashore, and others), and different religions (Muslims sunniest , and sheets, Christians , Jewish, and several other sects).
That peace was over after the liberation forces came to Iraq. All bad dreg people from everywhere were coming to have a peace from this big cake. Al-Qaida flourished in this environment, Sheets who are loyal to Iran and have no shame to betray their country, and cooperate with the dirty government agents from Iran and to open prisons for criminals to be released and commit horrible crimes.
On top of that radical religious parties, who got the support of the American forces, and the blessing from Iran were the main power in the new government and most or even all most respected qualified people to lead the country have been killed or fled the Iraq.
I am sure you are a smart person, but you have a long way to go through and find the reality about what happened and still happen in Iraq.

AL Badrany
AL Badrany 01/08/12 - 01:17 pm
Having known Salh for 1.5

Having known Salh for 1.5 years, I can assure you that he has struggled severely both to survive and to deal with the enormous suffering he has experienced. Salih has three young children, lost most of his friends and family and has nothing to fall back on. He has endured horrible torture that has resulted in damage to his body and mind. he struggles everyday to feed his family, adapt to the culture, learn the language, continue to be a political activist for his country, help others in need in his community, find true friends and make a difference. I have personally seen him give away his last resources to American people who are struggling here. Sometimes I marvel at his tenacity and will. I have noticed that people are quick to lump all Arabs in categories before knowing the distinct differences in cultures. I am now convinced that we Americans were fed many lies that led up to what happened in Iraq. We have decimated a 10 thousand year old culture. The Cradle of Civilization they call it. Some of out most esteemed Jewish/Christian patriarchs come from this area. Noah, Abraham the works. As I understand it, Iraq has been pillaged of it's natural resources, robbed of it's historical artifacts and now left to pick up the pieces. I am not really sure how we have "helped" them at all. Millions of orphans, women without husbands, with limited water, food and electricity. One thing is for sure though, they have managed to be one the oldest civilizations that exist on the planet. Their spirit to survive is beyond our 200+ years of comprehension. I know that Salih has come to love the American people and some of the freedoms he enjoys, but he would never turn his back on his country. Just like we wouldn't ours. I urge all Americans to, at the very least, be willing to listen and learn from people like Salih. And I think it would be fair to remind people that we do "reap what sow." What have we done? Time will reveal the truth and the truth is better than blind patriotism. I love America, this is my home, but I respect other countries, their systems and their beliefs. I want to know the truth of what happened in Iraq instead of being spoon fed propaganda. The world has it's eye on us now. We are not the beloved country that we once were. I think Salih is brave to have endured what has happened to him and we owe him the decency to listen to his point of view. And what ever we can do to help the individual Iraqi families that have ended up displaced all over the world, we should do it. It could be us one day. The microscope is on us now.
Lori pack

AL Badrany
AL Badrany 01/08/12 - 06:37 pm
In response to the second

In response to the second comment

I have written numerous articles about the interaction between civilizations, cultures, and religions. Thus, I think it is important to try to approach others cultures, and history. I love peace, and by understanding others point of view, we could avoid violence and wars. Unfortunately some times peace has to be reached after wars, as what happened in the Iraqi-Iranian war that lasted for eight years, and we taught our trouble maker neighbor Iran a lesson to stop being seditious, and playing a dirty role in igniting sectarian riot.
I love peace, but I do not tolerate criminal actions, and Iran, led by its dirty government, committed horrible crimes in Iraq.
Yes you are right that Iraq will not live in peace after 2003, thanks to the occupation that brought a sectarian government, with its ignorant members who are not qualified to establish a new nation law, that allow people to live in justice and integrity
In addition to that, the entire surrounding territorial, and Al-Qaida found Iraq after 2003, the best place to ignite sectarian riots, and to commit terrifying crimes in my country Iraq. I have all proofs, and indications about all events after the 2003 war to correct your concepts, and how George. W. Bush, successfully, convinced you to justify the war on Iraq.
You mentioned my children that can not live in Iraq anymore after seeing other people living in peace. You might be right, they want to stay and study in the US. after the night mare that they wont forget, when their father was kidnapped in front of them by terrorists, and how he survived three assassination attempts.

Lifes Assets And Liabilities LLC
Lifes Assets And Liabilities LLC 01/09/12 - 12:08 pm
My country "America" is to be

My country "America" is to be praised for it's conquest of liberation efforts in Iraq and any other country for that matter! America is a "Champion Of Freedom" to the oppressed world.

Our sons and daughters, pride of our nation, set upon a mighty endeavor, to set free a suffering humanity. They fight not for the lust of conquest. They fight to end conquest. They fight to liberate. They fight to let justice arise, and tolerance and goodwill among all people. Our cause for being in Iraq was a righteous cause.

Saddam Hussein was a ruthless murderer, and leader of a regime that set itself in direct opposition to fundamental truths about human nature and behavior that the free world finds self-evident, that we are endowed by our Creator--not by the state, particularly the communist state---with certain inalienable rights, including the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

As for (WMD)-weapons of mass destruction, according to Georges Sadas "the" right hand man to Saddam Hussein.... who has now become a christian and in his now published book............the weapons of mass destruction were shipped out of Iraq 6 weeks before the inspection team hit the ground!

They were air lifted to Syria in gutted out 747 passenger planes under the disguise of humanitarian relief as Syria was in need of at this time; and some were also taken to the Bekaa Valley and buried there.

In any event, America does what it is called as a nation to do......to Defend and Promote Life the world over. We are also allies to Israel and we must defend and protect Israel from the countries that surround her and that wish to annihilate her from the face of the earth!

Salih, you cannot change your unfortunate circumstance, however; you can rise above it! You are now in America....you are free and safe from harm. There are many opportunities for you and your children here to advance your life......your life is more far reaching than it ever could have been in your native country! For example, you can FREELY speak and write as you wish in this open forum and be heard......You couldn't even do this in your country if you have a grievance...you would have been arrested, jailed and quite possibly WORSE.

So, take some time to be just be grateful! And enjoy America!

Storm brings heavy rain, property damage reported

The National Weather Service in Columbia says the threat of severe weather has left the Augusta area, but not before leaving behind some property damage Sunday.