Rants and raves

TO THE PERSON driving 65 in the fast lane and complaining about being tailgated, the person tailgating you just might be a responder heading to an emergency. In any case, it is none of your business, so move over!

I consider myself a defensive driver. Today’s traffic speed is such that if you simply keep up with traffic, you will get there with time to spare. If someone wants to go faster than the normal flow, move over and let them pass.

OBAMA’S JUSTICE DEPARTMENT keeps on attacking an Arizona sheriff and his efforts to control illegal immigration while Obama refuses to enforce our federal laws.

EX-FOOTBALL PLAYERS are filing suit against NFL claiming they got concussions on the job. Football is not called a “contact” sport for nothing. And nobody forced them to take all their absurdly high pay.

DURING THIS SEASON of good will toward others, any happy or merry greeting should be received with gratitude and joy. Share the gladness with everyone!

IT’S AMAZING THAT church members would pick to pay for the balance of a $115 purse on layaway at a fancy store instead of clothes or foods for kids. Glad I don’t waste my monies that way. I would not even pay $15 for a purse!

WHY ON EARTH WOULD true Christians quibble over the name of their group, that the word “Baptist” would discourage people? Aren’t you supposed to gain fellow Christians by the love of God?

EBT IS A SCAM. I have a neighbor who sells her balance. She uses her sister’s Medicaid card. She claims an extra child that’s not hers on her taxes. She has Section 8. Her one child gets free meals at school. She got free gifts from James Brown and Salvation Army. She eats out all the time at fast-food places that take EBT. Oh, and she works full time at a 36K a year job. There should be a way to monitor these systems.

HOW MANY presidential candidates have won Iowa and gone on to get nominated to run for president? It is my understanding that none have.

FIRST, MAKE JENNIFER KEETON pay back all ASU court costs. It was obvious from the start that in this day and age, you cannot assert your personal Christian, anti-gay views on anyone in education or psychology. Pay your court costs and get lost.

Share your opinion with other newspaper readers. Call the Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your comments to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

Comments from readers:

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/30/11 - 08:02 am
Thanks for the great company

Thanks for the great company Wed. at Raes......good food-good company-- great minds ---& we all know who won entertainer of the day award....Mr River....himself!
LLamb I found a good classic for you....

Maybe now GOB can understand my addiction a little bit better....& yep he sure was taken with Willow.....WB yoiu are right we need to meet again in spring----:)
Later we were at Bonefish & that place was PACKED----loved it too.....if the economy is tanking you sho couldn't see it that day!!!
& LN if you are reading this----hope you had a great Christmas..

Thankyou Raes Coastal Grill fo reverything----especially that great looking waiter!!!!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/30/11 - 08:21 am
Good Morning America. The

Good Morning America.

The debates on here daily about religion is almost unbelievable. "In God We Trust, All others, We Monitor.

The average speed on I-20 in the Left lane is 76 to 80+ during rush hours. The Right lane because of trucks and trailers is 65 to 70.

Do you know what happens when a law enforcement vehicle gets on I-20 at the Appling exist and stays in the left lane all the way to Washington exit doing the speed limit of 70. It becomes one solid line of traffic running bumper to bumper all the way. You can see the road rage and the making of a real accident. Those that do the speed limit in the left lane have no respect or common sense. I have been driving for 55 years, in 39 states and 3 foreign countries. I have never had an accident or a speeding ticket. My rule is to follow the flow of traffic regardless of the speed and stay a safe stopping distance from the vehicle in front of me. I know, leaving that safe distant, you will have that idiot passing you just to get in front of you to gain nothing but 75 feet. Law enforcement knows that during rush hours, traffic has to be allowed to travel above the speed limit to try and prevent the tailgating condition. Our interstates are no longer capable of handling the number of cars during rush hour at the posted speed limit.
Just a daily observation, but have you notice that many of the cars in the left lane doing the speed limit has that little wheelchair on the license plate. I know, making a bad comment on handicaps, sorry.

tanbaby
tanbaby 12/30/11 - 08:28 am
to the post about the

to the post about the EBT--are you surprised??? cause i'm not...report it to someone and keep reporting it to someone until someone listens...i have no problem with those who need the help, but don't care to support people who make more money per year than i do...

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/30/11 - 08:28 am
B4, I know I missed something

B4, I know I missed something real nice....sorry.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/30/11 - 08:32 am
The problem with the EBT will

The problem with the EBT will remain as long as we have our King SMCICBHO and his one brain cell band of merry men in office...2012...

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/30/11 - 08:40 am
Missed you CGee...but you can

Missed you CGee...but you can give me all of the attention at the next one....:)
WB really wanted to meetya!

ALeaves seeya at the next one too...

soldout
soldout 12/30/11 - 09:09 am
The defensive drivers usally

The defensive drivers usally run a litle less than the speed limit in the right lane. The right lane is always safer. You are more rested and less stressed driving slightly less than speed limit in the right lane. You will either end up with a big cushion in front of you or a big truck that will give you protection from the front and give you better gas mileage due to drafting. If you need to run faster than the speed limit you didn't leave soon enough and are increasing your risk of an accident.

By the way if the people can assert non-Christian views you certainly can assert pro-Christian views. If she had been muslin there would not have been a problem. The name of Jesus has power because it is truth and scares the pants off people who don't believe in Him. No other word can get the reaction of "Jesus". Must be a reason for that.......it makes demons tremble and some of you get a little shaky too.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/30/11 - 09:19 am
Thanks for the link to Webb

Thanks for the link to Webb Pierce, Seenit. And thanks for setting up the get together. It was great to meet you and GOB!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/30/11 - 09:27 am

Now for all the die-hard country music lovers--the movie was great too.

I wish RKill would put the young banjo players on here again----:)

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 12/30/11 - 09:34 am
Coming from Atlanta on I-20

Coming from Atlanta on I-20 this past week I witnessed several cars, many with NC tags, and one new gray Ford truck with a paper tag continuously driving in the left lane at 70-80 MPH. Cars, my self included, would line up behind them left lane loonies for a while, then pass on the right side....

The gray truck finally got into the right lane, briefly, then returned to the right lane.....guess they are afraid of having to merge down the road with traffic? Or maybe they just S-T-U-P-I-D......

One NC driver almost caused a serious accident, but was apparently oblivious to causing someone to experience temporary road rage as I would bet the driver stayed in the left lane all the way to North Carolina.

BamaMan
BamaMan 12/30/11 - 09:57 am
There's a man in a

There's a man in a blue/silver Ford sedan-forgot the model, that I've seen several times about 8:15am, that exits I-20 onto Washington Rd literally crawling, I mean ridiculously slow. His speedometer cannot be even registering. Saw him again this morning, always in the left lane. He knows he is backing up traffic, but just does not care. I'm sure it's intentional, you can tell by looking at him. This man is just as much a menace as a speeder.

iLove
iLove 12/30/11 - 09:57 am
Before you are approved for

Before you are approved for benefits, the last I checked, your income is taken into account. I seriously doubt that someone making 36,000 was approved for benefits....try again.

I also doubt that you can cheat this portion of thevapplication process seeing as your ss number is used, and a check stub........so I'm told....

How can you use someone else's Medicare card.....

How do you know sooooo much about your " neighbor"?

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/30/11 - 10:09 am
I love, I see that stuff all

I love, I see that stuff all the time with the relatives of the people I work. It is especially prevalent with the EBT cards.

allhans
allhans 12/30/11 - 10:12 am
To the ranter/raver (?) and

To the ranter/raver (?) and the Iowa caucus, googling would have shown that in recent years, three winners have become the Rwpublican party's nominee. George Bush won in 2000/

At the same time the Democratic Party the winner of the caucuses has gone on to be the Democratic nominee five times.

!

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 12/30/11 - 10:32 am
EBT IS A SCAM, Don't just

EBT IS A SCAM,

Don't just rant in the AC and on its website, call

1-800-HHS-TIPS,

and provide them the particulars of the described case, if you have the guts.

allhans
allhans 12/30/11 - 10:49 am
The problem is "I hear..".

The problem is "I hear..". Since we aren't the seller or the buyer we only have secondhand information, which will be denied by one and all, and is a dead end.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/30/11 - 11:00 am
EBT is a scam, but will

EBT is a scam, but will reporting the abuse even do any good? The gov. wants to give it to these people.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/30/11 - 11:00 am
Good Morning seenit! Glad

Good Morning seenit! Glad you had a safe trip home. Thanks again for the hospitality and sharing GOB's company:)

David Parker
David Parker 12/30/11 - 11:12 am
ebt system makes me retch in

ebt system makes me retch in my mouth. Implementation of it is futile b/c it puts an ineffectual check on its use.

I drive slow b/c it's safe and my car doesn't like to go fast and will break to show it's displeasure.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/30/11 - 11:29 am
Good am WB... Now this should

Good am WB...

Now this should make countyman happy....

While riding through the CSRA I was pleasantly surprised ....the area around the National was beautiful----I saw the Kroc center & was impressed.....LakeOlmstead is still beautiful---- I love the median on Furys Ferry---& even the Wheeless Rd Rd. area was clean & tidy..wow...
Broad St.....still needs a little work----so ctyman I see some improvement & it makes me happy.....now if I could just buy the Regency Mall & do something with it....maybe one day....:)

Gotta go---work to do..

happychimer
happychimer 12/30/11 - 11:49 am
It was great meeting seenit

It was great meeting seenit and G.O.B., Willow and River for the first time. I really enjoyed the company of everyone there.Thanks for inviting me.I did not plan such a grand entrance! I'm ok. I have a bruised and sore elbow and knee, and a bruise on my wrist.I will be good as new real soon.

scgator
scgator 12/30/11 - 11:54 am
It is AMAZING to me that so

It is AMAZING to me that so many people get upset because another driver is obeying the posted speed limits; while it is true that the so called passing lane is for faster traffic....LEGALLY, the right hand lane is designated for vehicles that are driving less than the posted limit, as long as they meet the minimum; the left lane is for passing the lesser speed vehicles and you are NOT supposed to exceed the maximum. As for driving in the "wrong" lane, when traveling if you are not familiar with the area, most motorists will travel the lane in which it may be easier to adjust from as they travel. If I am traveling on an interstate and I see a sign that tells me my route change or exit is 2-3 miles ahead, I will go ahead and merge as soon as possible to the intended lane. I have found that if I attempt to wait until the last minute to merge, the "idiots" who like to drive 10-20 mph over the speed limit will almost run over me and my truck.

scgator
scgator 12/30/11 - 11:56 am
WHY is driving the posted

WHY is driving the posted speed limit and obeying the law considered to be a bad thing???

happychimer
happychimer 12/30/11 - 11:58 am
Monday we were on Belair Rd.

Monday we were on Belair Rd. headed to Washington Rd. The speed limit is 45. The drivers in the left lane were going 30-35, and the right lane was going 30. And what's with these drivers making a left turn at 10 or less miles per hr.? They almost stop in the middle of the intersections, especially at Wrightsboro and Jackson/Northleg.

happychimer
happychimer 12/30/11 - 12:05 pm
scgator there is no law that

scgator there is no law that says you have to go over the speed limit. If the traffic on I-20 is slower than the speed limit, I get in the left lan till I get past them, and then I get in the right lane. If the speed limit is 70 I will go 70 or 75. If the right lane is worn out with potholes and cracked cemete I get in the left lane. If there is a sign that says slower traffic keep right except to pass, then I do that. If reckless drivers want to bust themselves wide open by driving like maniacs, they can wait for me to pass in the left lane going 70 or 75. Then I go back to right lane and they can do their thing.

daphne3520
daphne3520 12/30/11 - 12:12 pm
First comment, (Second

First comment, (Second Paragraph) ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!!!

Dudeness
Dudeness 12/30/11 - 01:29 pm
Attitudes like the first rant

Attitudes like the first rant here and from others that I have heard from in the past are a big reason for the many wrecks on 56. It's not the road causing the problems, it is the drivers.

happychimer
happychimer 12/30/11 - 01:43 pm
Dudeness you got that right!

Dudeness you got that right!

Cirroc2012
Cirroc2012 12/30/11 - 06:54 pm
Rant #1 Please accept my

Rant #1 Please accept my apology for not going over 55 mph on I-20 or 520. Last year I received a ticket for going 60 mph on I-20 from Jimmy Dyers Parkwy, I did not realize that the had lower it to 55.do you think it was due to the numerous of accident that they were having over there? I received another ticket on 520 July 2 taken the Kids to the Y, the cop told me I was doing 63 on a 55. So now I put my speed control on, I don't know many people who enjoy giving money away or having their insurance increase. I would highly recommend that you slow down for some reason these folk like to short stop for no reason.

Rant #7

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/30/11 - 07:19 pm
happy, glad you are

happy, glad you are recovering, that was a close one. They need a sign and some yellow paint, or better yet, a remodeling job.

Accord tops list of stolen vehicles

The National Insurance Crime Bureau released its annual report on the 10 most stolen vehicles in the country earlier this month, and some residents say they aren't surprised with what they saw.