Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS A RAVE on behalf of my mother. The Augusta Fire Department came by to deliver her a fruit basket for Christmas. She was so excited and thankful they took the time to remember her for Christmas. You made her day!! Thank you and Merry Christmas to the Augusta Fire Department!!

SAD ABOUT Iraqis killing each other, but very glad that no more U.S. soldiers are being killed over there. Three cheers for President Obama getting us out of Iraq. We should have never put boots on the ground there. A few well placed smart bombs would have sufficed. God bless all the soldiers who suffered and died there along with their families. Your sacrifice was not in vain for you are all heroes to me and to America.

PARENTS OF SCHOOL AGE and day-care children: Now that it’s the Christmas season please keep in mind that you leave your children in our care for 60 hours per week. These children see our faces more than Mom and Dad. Show your appreciation. Though baked goods are nice a $5 gift cars to Subway or Dollar Tree would not break the bank.

SYRIAN CIVILIANS were massacred by Syrian soldiers. Could American soldiers slaughter Americans who’d been herded into a valley? Would American soldiers or cops follow such illegal orders from a dictatorial leader? Watch out, America!

SO YOU WONDER why some of us refused to take an Angel from a Salvation Army tree? I visited Augusta after Thanksgiving and was horrified to see those tags on the tree asking for XBox games and video games and other costly “needed” items for the kids. No way. I would not even give those to my kids! The way things were listed, I thought you had to pick a child and give them everything they listed and I couldn’t afford all that so I just refused to treat them. I can give to the Golden Harvest Food Bank and at least know they are stretching my dollars to feed more people.

I WANTED TO THANK Tracy Williams for the beautiful Christmas tribute to his wife and the special meaning Christmas had in their marriage. What a wonderful gift for all of us who read it. And, what a wonderful gift she was to you.

WAS IT BARACK OBAMA or Thomas Paine who said “Those who want to reap the benefits of this great nation must bear the fatigue of supporting it?”

SHARE YOUR OPINION with other newspaper readers. Call the Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your comments to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

fftaz71
fftaz71 12/28/11 - 10:41 pm
To the school teacher or day

To the school teacher or day care worker complaining about baked goods...it took alot more time and effort to make those baked goods than it does to go to Subway and put 5.00 on a piece of plastic. If they were purchased, it certainly cost more than 5.00. Be glad the parents thought of you at all...Christmas is NOT about what you get. Im a nurse, I spend a minimum of 40-50hrs a week taking care of peoples loved ones, but I sure wouldnt think that entitles me to anything from these people. Im just glad I have a job that I like.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/29/11 - 10:22 am
"Your sacrifice was not in

"Your sacrifice was not in vain"

Since we did not leave a stabilizing force in Iraq, I think that remains to be seen. Our service members served honorably and with much sacrifice and they deserve our gratitude, respect, and continued support. In the long run, only they, their families, and the families of the fallen have the right to judge whether or not this was all in vain. I would assume that judgement will have something to do with the long term outcome in Iraq. Based on conversations with many young soldiers, seeing the reenlistment rate and how many of them pulled multiple tours, I believe they all want to see Iraq a free, democratic, and prosperous country and they do not want it to deteriorate into civil war and fall under the influence of the radical regime of neighboring Iran. We still maintain troops in Germany, Japan, and South Korea and all of those countries are free and prosperous. I am not sure we did the right thing by pulling out of Iraq abruptly, irregardless of the argument of whether or not we should have gone over there in the first place.

minnesota
minnesota 12/29/11 - 12:15 pm
To the daycare worker.Are you

To the daycare worker.Are you getting paid? When yes you are only entitled to your pay.Stop complaining and do what you are paid to do,you not entitled to any more than that!!

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 12/29/11 - 01:11 pm
I really dont care what Obama

I really dont care what Obama has to say good or bad.....

happychimer
happychimer 12/29/11 - 02:31 pm
literal really? So it is not

literal really? So it is not his policies you dislike. It's the man.That's a shame that you hate our President so much that you don't care even if what he says is good. Yep. Sounds like far right repub to me. By the way. I consider myself a slightly left of the middle democrat.

Dudeness
Dudeness 12/29/11 - 02:48 pm
What breaks the bank is the

What breaks the bank is the price of daycare. If you feel that you deserve a raise or additional perks, that is an issue to take up with your boss, not the people who in most cases are already paying your place of business in excess of $500/month for the service it provides. I do not know what the going rate is for this line of work, but for the amount that they charge for its services, I would expect the business to pay enough to be able to hire and retain dependable, competent employees.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/29/11 - 03:00 pm
"Show your appreciation.

"Show your appreciation. Though baked goods are nice a $5 gift cars to Subway or Dollar Tree would not break the bank."

Where I come from, you don't ask to be appreciated. You either are, or, you're not!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/29/11 - 04:47 pm
Good point Sarge!

Good point Sarge!

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 12/29/11 - 05:23 pm
Amen Sarge couldnt have said

Amen Sarge couldnt have said it better :)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/11 - 05:46 pm
Like to reword Rant 7 using

Like to reword Rant 7 using the actions of our SMCICBHO.

“Those who will reap the benefits of this great nation will not have to bear the fatigue of supporting it?”

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 12/29/11 - 05:54 pm
WOW Happy you have seriously

WOW Happy you have seriously jumped to some conclusions....where did I say anything about hating anyone? Please quote where I said I hated Obama??? All I said was I didnt care what he had to say good or bad. How does that translate into hate? I dont hate anyone that I can think of. Gotta watch what I say on here...if I say I dont care for cats it will be translated into I hate all animals....

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 12/29/11 - 05:54 pm
posted twice sorry

posted twice sorry

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/11 - 06:01 pm
literallyamerican, don't

literallyamerican, don't worry, there are some who will be very offended if you don't show honour to our King.

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 12/29/11 - 06:08 pm
Yes I can see that

Yes I can see that CG----amazing how this man has rallied so many "worshippers"

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/11 - 06:12 pm
I read someplace that the

I read someplace that the "rug" business has made a huge profit in the past 3 years. Wish I had bought stock in a few of them.

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 12/29/11 - 06:14 pm
BAHAHAHAHA CG!!!

BAHAHAHAHA CG!!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/11 - 06:26 pm
I just have to comment on

I just have to comment on Rant 5 and give a little support....

happychimer
happychimer 12/29/11 - 07:39 pm
literal your words speak

literal your words speak volumns.

happychimer
happychimer 12/29/11 - 07:41 pm
and where did I say I worship

and where did I say I worship our President? I worship no man.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/29/11 - 08:00 pm
Anyone know what's going on

Anyone know what's going on with Joe Neal Jr.?

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 12/29/11 - 08:16 pm
Happy your assumptions speak

Happy your assumptions speak volumes (saying I hate a man just because I dont want to hear what he has to say)

raul
raul 12/29/11 - 08:21 pm
@Riverman. I heard Austin

@Riverman. I heard Austin Rhodes mention something today on his show, but didn't get the whole story.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/29/11 - 08:23 pm
Raul, thanks. I wonder what

Raul, thanks. I wonder what it's about. I really don't know.

raul
raul 12/29/11 - 08:38 pm
@Riverman. Check out Jail

@Riverman. Check out Jail Report Facebook page.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/29/11 - 08:47 pm
Raul, thanks, I saw it. Wow.

Raul, thanks, I saw it. Wow. The 18 year old girl is past the age of consent, but the problem is the alcohol and marijuana. She's not old enough to drink. I wonder how Ashley Wright will handle this?

tgentry
tgentry 12/29/11 - 08:57 pm
Riverman What I heard was

Riverman What I heard was that he is being accused from his 18 year old babysitter of sexual assault. He got her drunk and high then assaulted her. She told her family and the father went to the Sheriffs office and said he was going to kill him. A police report has been filed.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/29/11 - 09:14 pm
Wish I had been here earlier,

Wish I had been here earlier, I would have had a comment or two about
"man worship." While it's a well known fact that I'm not particularly fond of the current occupant of our White House, I certainly don't hate the guy. He is a victim of his own demise, according to his record. He alone, will suffer the stories in America's History books.

As for "man worship," there is only one! My Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He has answered more prayers than I can count, and He doesn't have to be re-elected. He has permanent office in His domain. Thank God for our Savior!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/11 - 09:19 pm
Right on, Jim!

Right on, Jim!

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 12/29/11 - 09:44 pm
Exactly Sarge---I dont hate

Exactly Sarge---I dont hate the guy at ALL!!! I am just shocked at how not wanting to hear something makes you a hater on this board. I dont see how you guys take this attacking all the time---hats off to you and CG and ICL you have my respect! :)

happychimer
happychimer 12/29/11 - 10:36 pm
If you don't want to hear any

If you don't want to hear any good that he has to say, then that says you hate the man. I did not like Bush, but if he had something good to say, I wanted to hear it.

Fire Department raises sought

The Augusta Fire Depart­ment will present a pay raise proposal for firefighters and administrators to the county’s public safety committee Monday.