Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A RAVE TO THE Democrats for providing the end-of-the-year fireworks and fun. Isn’t it fun to watch the Democrats fight to extend the Bush tax cuts (the payroll tax cut) “for the working Americans” when the Democrats told us for years the Bush tax cuts were only for the wealthiest Americans!

WHAT IF THE PERSON you are holding a grudge against is the one person with whom you must be at peace in order to enter the gates of heaven? Is the fuel with which you must stoke the fires of your anger taking more and more energy from you? Give someone the best gift you can give this Christmas: Forgiveness.

I WOULD LIKE TO thank the doctor, two nurses and the caring citizens that came to my aid when I fell in front of Kmart on Dec. 19.

AUGUSTA AND THE surrounding areas have been very generous in their giving for people in need. Let’s not forget our true heroes “The Wounded Warriors.” My husband and I have decided instead of exchanging gifts the money spent for a Christmas present will go to help them.

THERE THEY GO AGAIN. Ron Cross and the Columbia County Commission have committed another arrogant action. Previously they spent a million dollars to dredge Bowen Pond, $22,000 to buy free coffee for employees and $8,500 to survey the Bowen Pond dam. Now they have authorized low-income housing in Magnolia Trace. I have a solution, move the location to a neighborhood in which a commissioner resides.

MY RANT IS FOR dictators of the world who have been run out of office. Then what do you call President Obama and Hillary Clinton telling these countries what to do?

THIS IS A RANT to all the charities I keep getting solicitations from in the mail. Everybody wants to help children in Third World countries. Why don’t we start helping some of these kids right here in America that are hungry or homeless? I might donate to something like that, but I’m tired of sending all of my charitable dollars to Africa and Iran and Iraq.

RAVES TO THE Georgia lottery system. I learned a lesson this year. I spent one dollar per week for the whole year and I have won back 2 dollars. A heads up for everyone in the community. We are helping someone make a fantastic profit.

SHARE YOUR OPINION with other newspaper readers. Call the Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your comments to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 12/27/11 - 12:00 am
Georgia State Patrol. I saw

Georgia State Patrol. I saw you at work out past WalMart on Washington Road. Please come and work your magic on Furys Ferry near WestLake; the speeding is unbelievable. We need you!

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 12/27/11 - 01:57 am
"We need you!" No you don't;

"We need you!" No you don't; you just need local law enforcement doing their jobs.

Why do you want people with bachelor's degrees writing speeding tickets in your neighborhood? GSP needs to be abolished except for specialty work. What a waste of resource! Guys with degrees writing speeding tickets at what salary? Come on! Any high school grad could be trained for traffic control.

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 12/27/11 - 07:15 am
I agree we have some poor

I agree we have some poor homeless kids right here in the good ole USA....It is time we start giving them a helping hand----I saw that some kids were living out of the cars/trucks ...taking baths in libraries-store restrooms BUT still going to school & studying by flashlight---sad.
Then we try to give criminals a soft cushy life...give me a break..put them in pup tents...we are soooo turned around in this world.

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 12/27/11 - 07:22 am
Dear Santa - > > My wish list

Dear Santa -
> My wish list for 2012 is for a fat bank account & a thin body.
> Please don't mix these up again like you did last year.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/27/11 - 07:28 am
SeenIt, your talk about

SeenIt, your talk about living in pup tents and studying by flashlight reminds me of my Army days. Living in vehicles, too. But I could only wish I had a restroom to wash up in.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/27/11 - 07:29 am
Man, you talk about rain, we

Man, you talk about rain, we are wiping out the deficit in one day. It is coming down hard and it's been that way for a long time. There's going to be flooding.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/27/11 - 07:40 am
Some reporter at the AC

Some reporter at the AC better start writing an article on the flooding that's surely to come today.

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 12/27/11 - 07:51 am
We need the rain for the

We need the rain for the lakes....BUT not all in 1 day....it is so hard to please a human...we want what we want when we want it..
At least it isn't sleeting/snowing!

Heheh--a little bad weather shut down the highways in Hot Atlanta last year---sooo the good Mayor bought snow plows & equipment ---by golly we won't be made a fool again this year!!
I did feel sorry for the livestock stuck on I-285 for days in freezing
weather----amazing that mother nature can bring everything to a standstill....we are so helpless at times.

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 12/27/11 - 07:53 am
RM...Are we the only 2 people

RM...Are we the only 2 people keeping AC going this am??

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/27/11 - 08:02 am
Prolly. Beats working though.

Prolly. Beats working though. I'm off today as long as the doggone pager stays quiet. I really don't want to hydroplane around today on the roads.

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 12/27/11 - 08:07 am

Well they can just listen to reeeel classic country ...slow...southern twanging....

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 12/27/11 - 08:14 am

I wonder how many on here can remember this guy...great singer.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/27/11 - 08:24 am
Sonny James, The Southern

Sonny James, The Southern Gentleman. Geez, where do you start with his songs....so many.

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 12/27/11 - 08:32 am

Another Southern Gentleman singer---Can time heal a broken heart....

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 12/27/11 - 08:43 am
This is W-O-R-K station

This is W-O-R-K station signing off...coming to you from the burbs of Atlanta Ga.-----now that I know (from Cgees letter)that we have readers from ALL over the USA...I will try to throw in some Northern music at times.....but don't expect alot cause I'm a true Southern girl & I love my classic country....seeya later!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/27/11 - 09:03 am
Speaking of the street

Speaking of the street flooding today, you know the Corps of Engineers could shut off the releases from the dam while it's raining south of the dam. That way the level of the lake could rise while the rain keeps the level and the flow just fine below the dam. But do you think they will do it? Nah.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/27/11 - 09:04 am
Hey, seenit, I heard on the

Hey, seenit, I heard on the radio that Don Williams is coming to the James Brown Arena in March. I am thinking about getting tickets. Williams had some great songs.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/27/11 - 09:06 am
LL, the only time shutting

LL, the only time shutting off the dam due to rain is feasible is when the rain is in the Columbia County portion of the river. But, I basically agree with the idea and that's what this automated system with the dams working in conjunction is getting at. Releases can be coordinated to keep all segments at the proper depth.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/27/11 - 09:12 am
Don Williams is in his 70's

Don Williams is in his 70's now. I hope this is not like another Loretta Lynn show where she can't even stand up. (Dang, I am so cynical this morning. Not sure why.)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/27/11 - 09:15 am
It is raining in the Columbia

It is raining in the Columbia County portion of the river. That's why I said shut off the dam. When the rain stops, then open it back up.

treetopyoung
treetopyoung 12/27/11 - 09:17 am
itsanother day excuse me but

itsanother day excuse me but my step father is a trooper with the GSP and how dare you say they need to be abolished. He has worked for many years (over 20) with them and he has done some hard work. He has seen stuff some people never see and they do work alot of accidents on the intersates. They do stuff the local people don't and I am very proud of him.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/27/11 - 09:35 am
Good mourning Awguster...

Good mourning Awguster... when we go two weeks with out a shooting I will say Good Morning again.

BamaMan
BamaMan 12/27/11 - 09:53 am
Speaking of old entertainers,

Speaking of old entertainers, I saw Don Ho in Hawaii a few years back. He sat in a chair at a "desk" the whole show. Never got up. He's gone now.

David Parker
David Parker 12/27/11 - 10:09 am
Re: "There they go again"

Re: "There they go again" rant and Martinez "devopment".

The 25 acre tract of land in Martinez between Reed Creek and Kenametal where Old Evans road bottoms out apparently was bought recently with the intention to input Section 8 townhomes, thereby eliminating the buffer we folks on Halifax Drive have enjoyed for 35 years. Now we are to enjoy looking out the back yard at townhomes that were built with our money, just like the ones we llive in, sans the ownership part of course. This will be right across the road from the Section 8 apartments that were put in several years back. Strength in numbers indeed! Crime going up and property value going down. Aye Dios Mios I wish someone could prove me wrong!!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/27/11 - 10:11 am
Yes, there comes a time when

Yes, there comes a time when entertainers need to stop touring, and their fans just need to listen to the records or watch the YouTube videos of them.

The same goes for politicians. I like most of the ideas of Ron Paul. I like many of the ideas of Newt Gingrich. But neither of them is suitable to be the Republican nominee for president because they are too old. A young, physically fit Barak Obama would beat either of them just as he beat septuagenarian John McCain.

Nominating a septuagenarian is a death with for the Republicans.

kmb413
kmb413 12/27/11 - 10:29 am
Good morning. Just wanted to

Good morning. Just wanted to stay in bed this morning with the rain, but I had to get up and go to work. I have had a total of 2 emails that were not auto generated by our system this morning. I see a busy day ahead.....ha.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/27/11 - 10:33 am
Sears is going to close over

Sears is going to close over a hundred stores nationwide. Home prices fell 1.2% in Oct. That's down 3.4% for the year. Atlanta led the drop in the 20 city S&P/Case-Shiller index at -11.7% for the year. Things are not looking too good in Georgia.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/27/11 - 10:56 am
Good Morning River & seenit.

Good Morning River & seenit.

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 12/27/11 - 11:01 am
I love you too! :(

I love you too! :(

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 12/27/11 - 11:08 am
TreeTop, don't take it so

TreeTop, don't take it so personally; I was not slamming GSP on an individual level, I'm saying they are over-qualified for writing speeding tickets, and do not need to be doing what local and county officers should be handling.