Rants and Raves

THE DOWNTOWN parade was once again full of the children wearing ill-fitting costumes and dancing suggestively for a family program. Perhaps the committee hasn’t received any complaints. Well, these rants should count.

A RANT TO THE woman who tried to use an EBT card to buy: a bag of chips, two sodas, candy bars and three honeybuns at the new gas station on Wrightsboro Road. What a waste of taxpayer money. I think gas stations need to be set up to reject junk food.

A RANT TO THE business on Washington Road with that flashing green light ... it’s annoying, it’s obnoxious, and causing traffic problems. Please shut it off.

PRESIDENT OBAMA, you got my vote for 2012.

AUGUSTA TECH Grovetown Campus: I thought when this was built that it would give residents an easier commute. There are several rooms with no teachers, and not enough classes are offered in the end building. This school was a waste of money when students who live in Grovetown still end up going to the Augusta campus.

TO THE PERSON complaining about people driving in the fast lane when they are not passing anyone: I have been on Bobby Jones Expressway doing 65 and I have people on my tail trying to get around me when I am in the passing lane passing cars. The speed limit is 55. If I am doing 65 and you are upset because I am in the way, the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office needs to be on you.

I MIGHT SOUND like the Grinch who stole Christmas, but I don’t get this commercialized Christmas deal. It took me 30 minutes to get onto Wrightsboro Road. I don’t understand everybody running around like crazed wildebeests trying to figure out what to spend their last few pennies on. They will be in bankruptcy next year trying to pay it back.

ARE YOU TRYING to punish us by putting the funnies in the sports section and the advertising section? It seems like it.

WE HAVE LAWS against driving under the influence of alcohol because it impairs someone’s ability to drive safely. If talking on a cellphone or texting while driving does the same thing, they should be against the law too or we should repeal the laws against drinking and driving.

Share your opinion with other newspaper readers. Call the Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your comments to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

tcowan13
tcowan13 12/20/11 - 11:36 pm
President Obama Has My Vote

President Obama Has My Vote For 2012

tcowan13
tcowan13 12/20/11 - 11:37 pm
We Have Laws against driving

We Have Laws against driving under the influence of alcohol because it impairs someone’s ability to drive safely. If talking on a cellphone or texting while driving does the same thing, they should be against the law too or we should repeal the laws against drinking and driving.

John Locke
John Locke 12/21/11 - 02:36 am
Well some adult taught them

Well some adult taught them how to dance like that. And people wonder why kids want to have sex at early ages when they get all the attention that kind of dancing brings. I'm sure the teenage boys enjoy it.

myopinion3
myopinion3 12/21/11 - 03:40 am
no offense but gas stations

no offense but gas stations are SET UP to sell junk food

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 12/21/11 - 04:14 am
Downtown parade, life in

Downtown parade, life in general, daily dress for school, etc. - many are obviously not receiving good advice or proper parenting nor are they being properly prepared for any positive future work environment.

EBT cards should only be allowed to be used for healthy fulfilling foods. The purpose of EBT is to provide meals for those who can't afford to eat not to provide for chips, snacks, cokes, or filet mignons. This program is greatly abused and in grave need of upgrades and proper monitoring - one misuse and you are cut should be cut off for good. For businesses allowing illegal purchases on these cards such as beer, cigarettes, etc. the clerks should be arrested and so should the user of the EBT card.

I guess some people will never learn or could care less how much they are misled and therefore they will do things such as vote for Obama in 2012.

An Augusta Tech Grovetown campus was a ridiculous waste of taxpayer money to begin with. It should be shut down and sold. There is no need for additional campuses when a main campus is less than 20 minutes away.

Those who are speeding are wrong and so are you if you are remaining in the left lane with the exception to pass cars on the right. Those Keep Right Except to Pass Signs up and down the interstate were meant for people such as yourself. You and your driving standards are just as dangerous to yourself and others as those who are speeding.

You do kind of sound like a Grinch for begrudging others of the happiness and joy one receives when giving to others. I do agree though that if you can't afford it, you shouldn’t buy it.

We have laws against driving under the influence for additional reasons than you listed to include the many documented deaths that have occurred, generally to the person minding their own business and not drinking. We also happen to have laws on the books for texting and driving. While at this time in Georgia, we don't have a law about talking on your cell phone, we do have laws you can be charged with if you are distracted due to the cell phone and officers note the cell phone use all of the time in citations and in accident reports. What we need are more responsible individuals without having to pass more laws.

More Law Enforcement Officers shot in our area last night and one that is in critical condition. This makes over 3 officers shot, other officers shot at, and another officer run over by a fleeing felon in our area within the past 2 months. Our law enforcement officers need your support, now more than ever. They need to know you support them, care about them and believe in them. These people are our local defenders of justice and are defending our rights to a peaceful society on a daily basis here at home just as our armed service members are doing on foreign soil.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and praying for a much better year in 2012!!

wildman
wildman 12/21/11 - 05:40 am
Obama has my vote, I hope to

Obama has my vote, I hope to vote him right out of office. Merry Christmas!

copperhead
copperhead 12/21/11 - 08:21 am
mmm mmm obama mmm mmm mmm mmm

mmm mmm obama mmm mmm mmm mmm obama mmm mmm more taxes mmm mmm more regulation mmm mmm more government mmm mmm more entilements mmm mmm more redistribution mmm mmm

copperhead
copperhead 12/21/11 - 08:34 am
I wonder if,since hussein

I wonder if,since hussein supports the ows gang, he is going to support Occupy the North Pole.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/11 - 09:26 am
Another policeman

Another policeman killed...this is sad-sad news..

Techfan
Techfan 12/21/11 - 09:26 am
Those durn young

Those durn young whippersnappers with their ducktails and dresses up to their knees, listening to that heathen Elvis and that blasted rock and roll.

allhans
allhans 12/21/11 - 10:07 am
Techfan..And who did Elvis

Techfan..And who did Elvis get his inspiration from?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/11 - 10:27 am
Cell phone usage has been

Cell phone usage has been shown to cause accidents. I'll buy that, but I'll also promise you the same type study would show thinking about sex does too.

Supposedly, we have a sexual thought every 12 seconds, more often for some. So no more sexual thoughts. In my quest for safe driving, I now think about football when the urge to think about sex hits (every six seconds) me going down Bobby Jones. Sometimes it's difficult (almost used another word there for difficult) and I have to loudly chant: "Think about football, think about football, think about football."

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/21/11 - 10:34 am
Good Morning Seenit, allhans,

Good Morning Seenit, allhans, Asitis, and all.
Yes, heart breaking to hear of slain Officer Richardson of Aiken.
I hope that by speaking of my compassion towards the 15 yr. old, who died by the hands of Atlanta police department yesterday, in no way suggests that I want our LEO's in harm's way. I don't. I appreciate them so much and have never encountered one that was not respectful to me. I hope you will all join me in praying for this family and for the protection of all LEO's, particularly those serving the CSRA. They are all heroes, everyday.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/11 - 10:35 am
Riverman......you are

Riverman......you are "sumthin" else...

Men may have sexual thoughts every 12 seconds but women don't...(thank goodness)
We can think of other things at times.....(someone has to)

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/21/11 - 10:35 am
River, did you ever heard the

River, did you ever heard the joke about the wife asking her husband what he was thinking about during the "act". It's kinda long, but at the end he tells her he is thinking about baseball. She thinks for a second and then says, "well, that explains why you kept yelling slide, slide". Sorry, you had to be there....

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/11 - 10:40 am
JTF, so what would be

JTF, so what would be happening if he started hollering balk?

SeenIt, sure you think about knitting going down the highway.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/11 - 10:41 am
Now I have to go grocery

Now I have to go grocery shopping in an hour or so & river has me thinking about sex...dang....I will be looking at rumproast-hams & where will my mind be......thanks a lot...

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/11 - 10:43 am
No...I don't think about

No...I don't think about knitting.....you would be surprised if I told ya'll on here...heh

iLove
iLove 12/21/11 - 10:45 am
Re: EBT ...people are so

Re: EBT ...people are so judgmental and nosy.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/21/11 - 10:45 am
Now that I think about it, it

Now that I think about it, it was Woody Allen in the movie, "Everything you wanted to know about sex, but were afraid the ask" Very funny movie.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/21/11 - 10:53 am
River, now, I know what I am

River, now, I know what I am getting you for Christmas.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/11 - 10:55 am
WB...Funny lady......but will

WB...Funny lady......but will it fit in a breadbox??

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/11 - 11:03 am
SeenIt and Willow, did you

SeenIt and Willow, did you see where I applied to become the new president of Augusta State? LL has agreed to be in my cabinet or whatever and head the music and science departments. LL will play the piano, I figure, when I speak. I want you two in the cabinet, too. The only requirement is you volunteer to coach one or more sports for free. I guess we will have to start a shuffleboard team. Willow can coach the motorcycle riding team.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/11 - 11:06 am
Ping pong anyone?

Ping pong anyone?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/21/11 - 11:10 am
Ranter 4, NO WAY! Ranter 6,

Ranter 4, NO WAY!
Ranter 6, what about you?
Ranter 9, you must drink and text.
Ranter 4, NO WAY!
Ranter 1, agreed.
Ranter 2, I love chips, coke and a good chocolate bar.
Ranter 5, give them time to grow. It will be great.
Ranter 4, NO WAY!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/21/11 - 11:10 am
Oh, Gosh, River, now my gift

Oh, Gosh, River, now my gift had to change again.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/11 - 11:10 am
I hope you get your mess

I hope you get your mess cleared with customer service.....we sho don't want ya going down swinging on here...or any place else ...you can be trouble.;)

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/11 - 11:18 am
OK listen up chatters... This

OK listen up chatters...
This is what I'm thinking about while driving ...

I won't be in town this week...BUT will try to get together next week ---maybe midweek---Wed.or Thursday...I have been checking places to have a group.......some place we can hear ourselves talk....like Raes Coastal Grill or Carrabbas---I know Bonefish doesn't open til late like 4pm....& some don't like driving after dark...
Soooo tell me if mid week sounds ok or not....river did say we all could wear nametags...fine with me....if I make reservations I need to know how many want to be there... say 1130am at lunchtime...??

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/21/11 - 11:20 am
Thank you! I'm working on my

Thank you! I'm working on my curriculum as we speak. Proper bike etiquette, dress, music, packing and travel destinations; followed by therapeutic massage and conflict resolution.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/21/11 - 11:31 am
My friend says he's putting

My friend says he's putting the X back in X-MAS.

Can someone tell me where X-Mas got started?