Rants & Raves

A HUGE RANT to the driver’s license office on Mike Padgett Highway for their arrogant, rude and discourteous attitude toward the public. A great big rave to the office in Evans, where one can go without leaving feeling humiliated and disgusted. I’ll drive 25-30 miles to avoid the office on Mike Padgett.

THE WEEK OF Thanks­giving, we flew out of Augusta Regional Airport to Fresno, Calif. What a hassle my husband was put through going through security. Why? He has metal implants, staples from open-heart surgery and artificial knees. It took over 20 minutes and a severe patdown till he was let go, and we had to hurry to get on the plane. We were the last passengers boarding. Returning from Fres­no airport was a breeze; we were in security no longer than it took us to put our shoes back on because the airport had an X-ray body scanner. Please, Augusta Regional, install an X-ray body scanner for those with metal implants.

I WOULD LIKE TO send out a big rave to Breezy Hill Baptist Church for the wonderful light display. My family and I really enjoyed everything. It was also so very well-organized. We are looking forward to next year.

AROUND CHRISTMAS­TIME, people drink who don’t normally drink, the level of illicit sexual activity goes up, you are more likely to be mugged or robbed, people spend money they don’t have and the mental health professionals brace themselves for an influx of patients who have seasonal affective disorder. It doesn’t take Sigmund Freud the see that we must not be celebrating Christmas right.

THIS IS A RANT about the Christmas decorations in downtown Augusta. It is a shame to put up faded red bows and greenery that looks like it is 30 years old. Do not even bother to put up Christmas decorations that look so tacky.

I HOPE ALL OF THE decent, hardworking, good people in the Richmond Hill area of Augusta stick together and don’t let the criminals get the best of you. I know there are a lot of good people in that area and I am praying for you every day.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/20/11 - 05:46 am
Merry Christmas everyone.

Merry Christmas everyone. Good to be verticle this morn.
Any day above ground... Not much to do today but be thankful for a roof and some food, some friends, some animals, kids and such. maybe I'll take them out for ice cream today. Maybe thry'll be off with their friends and my wife willl be shopping. This means that not only is the house mine but the remote contol is too! Maybe I'll watch a good movie, or Football or the Military channel. Maybe I'll make a Dagwood Bumstead sandwich. Maybe I'll sleep. Maybe I'll just pray. Are you guys tired of my indecisions yet...

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/20/11 - 08:21 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 12/20/11 - 08:24 am
I agree with the Richmond

I agree with the Richmond Hill area....at one time these homes stood out at Christmas time---beautiful well kept yards with outstanding Christmas displays.......it can come back---work together to get rid of the crime & make it what it can be.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/20/11 - 08:34 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 12/20/11 - 09:24 am

Justthefacts posted this on another thread.....but was this the beginning of our Fannie Mae mess???? Let's just give ebbybody a house whether they can afford it or not!!!!

Then we all sink...

pep607
pep607 12/20/11 - 10:33 am
I also flew from AUG with a

I also flew from AUG with a metal knee and was subjected to a full body search/pat down for about 10 min. It was over the edge! On the return flight , I was told go through the scanner on the left. I stopped there about 2 seconds, and was sent on. My computer, purse, medications, jewelry, etc. were always in my sight and I was not humiliated. Someone let us know when they get a scanner at AUG. Until then, it is Charlotte or Atlanta.

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 12/20/11 - 10:42 am
Menthol cigarettes - In March

Menthol cigarettes - In March 2011 a scientific advisory panel for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration delivered a 231-page report on the public-health risks of smoking and menthol cigarettes. Their report concluded: "Because there are menthol cigarettes, we have more smokers". (Menthol WAS NOT BANNED as a result of the report)

The report stated young people and African Americans prefer menthol in their smokes because it decreases the harshness of the tobacco, and the two groups think menthol is "cool"....

For them that smoke and throw their cig's out the window of their cars
(even when its extremely dry) and those who toss the empty packs
on the ground for others to pick up:

David Parker
David Parker 12/20/11 - 10:49 am
Not sure why someone would

Not sure why someone would lump illicit sex and booze in with all the negative elements. Humbuggery? I figure if I get involved with either, i'm celebrating right and proper.

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 12/20/11 - 10:57 am
The NY Times concluded

The NY Times concluded "pressure from the Clinton Administration to expand mortgage loans among low and moderate income people", and "pressure from stock holders to maintain a phenomenal growth in profits".....

Politicians and Wall Street sticking it to America....So what else is new?

Wait till the politicians and health/medical industry stick it to us via the Obama Health Care Bill.....

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/20/11 - 10:58 am
People with metal parts, are

People with metal parts, are sometimes issued a card identifying them as a potential for the alarm to go off. Precious has Titanium in her spine, and two new metal knees. Both surgeons provided her with cards identifying the parts, and where they are in her body. I suggest if you are going to continue to fly, have your physician issue one of the cards to you. It will save you time and misery.

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 12/20/11 - 11:06 am
The ranter who wanted to know

The ranter who wanted to know what chemical was present in menthol cigarettes?

In March 2011 a report was submitted to the FDA stating young people and African Americans thought smoking menthol smokes was cool, and that menthol in cigarettes was a prime reason folks smoked because it took out the harshness of the tobacco....

Menthol in smokes was not banned by the FDA, but it was banned in other products......

So IMO politics and greed, combined with menthol is the chemical composition of menthol cigarettes.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/20/11 - 11:12 am
This is a curious assertion

This is a curious assertion by FalseHopeLooseChange:

What other products are you talking about? You do realize that menthol is the main active ingredient in Vicks VapoRub, don't you?

Bruno
Bruno 12/20/11 - 11:23 am
There was a list published

There was a list published some time ago with the ingredients in cigarettes. I think that there were almost 600 different chemicals. You can probably find it on the 'net. Even when I smoked, I thought it was odd that people would have no problem with tossing a butt on the ground. They wouldn't do that with a soda can.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/20/11 - 11:31 am
I do not defend littering.

I do not defend littering. But ya gotta admit that cigarettes are biodegradable.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 12/20/11 - 11:53 am
So it's Christmas break for

So it's Christmas break for all our little darlings...got my girl here with me this week while her parents work....a tradition in most homes this week is to watch all the holiday shows...you know...Charlie Brown...A Christmas story...Rudoulph....most of these shows are well over ten years old.....so WHY the Hades are those greedy slimy pigs at comcast charging money to view these shows?.........I own a couple of them on disk...but that's not the point...bah and humbug to all at comcast.....karma my friends.

bubbasauce
20689
bubbasauce 12/20/11 - 12:33 pm
Goshen used to be one of the

Goshen used to be one of the nicest neighborhoods in South Augusta until 10 years ago. Now all the people want to get out. Wonder why that is?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/20/11 - 02:17 pm
wonders, I was thinking the

wonders, I was thinking the same thing last night, why are we paying to watch tv? This is a federal/private racquet. We need to all get off this insane plan. Remember when tv was free? Any ideas?

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 12/20/11 - 02:59 pm
"WHAT KIND OF chemical is in

"WHAT KIND OF chemical is in the menthol cigarettes that causes people to throw the empty green packs on the street? They’re all over the CSRA. 6,000 soldiers have given their lives to keep our country safe. The least we can do is keep it clean."

Exactly! And LL as much as i respect you cigs take decades to look like a semi rotted cigarette which then leaches poisons into the food chain and in our water supply. They should arrest those throwing cigs on the ground cause that is where most kids get their cigs and start smoking which keeps the addicts coming. My webmaster is so upset about being an addict he wants to ring the neck of the loser/creep who handed him his first cig. Some women sell their bodies for the money to buy their cigs. It is as bad as crack or meth only a little more socially acceptable.

MadSnapper
MadSnapper 12/20/11 - 03:48 pm
6,000 Soldiers?

6,000 Soldiers?

kmb413
kmb413 12/20/11 - 04:15 pm
more booze and more sex =

more booze and more sex = more September babies.

allhans
allhans 12/20/11 - 04:35 pm
More on menthol

More on menthol cigarettes...I don't know the guilty party but evidently one lives nearby and tosses his butts before he turns in his driveway...right on to mine.

allhans
allhans 12/20/11 - 04:39 pm
The drivers license agency on

The drivers license agency on Mike Padgett has never placed a value on YOUR time. They will stand and talk with each other and pretend the place is empty. Always have. At least as long as I can remember.

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 12/20/11 - 05:08 pm
Beating the menthol cigarette

Beating the menthol cigarette horse to death -

The American Wholesale Marketers Association told the FDA that the AWMA has studied cigarette sales and contraband markets for years, and if menthol were banned, a currently legal product would be replaced by a contraband market. “An expanded black market would have many adverse effects. It not only reduces the government’s revenue, but will also open the door for easy and unmonitored accessibility by youth,” The AWMA also said “Organized criminal groups will be in the driver’s seat, and black marketers will pocket billions of dollars in profit".

It comes down to 'saving or creating' the government billions of dollars in revenue verses banning a product in cigarettes that has been proven to get people to smoke/addicted.....

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/20/11 - 07:38 pm
bubbasauce, Goshen still is

bubbasauce, Goshen still is one of the nicest neighborhoods in SA. Very low crime, people take pride in the yards and homes, and they have a neighborhood association and neighborhood watch. There are a few homes up for sale but so does every other neighborhood through the CSRA. What gives you the opinion that Goshen has gone downhill?

myopinion3
myopinion3 12/20/11 - 09:02 pm
I gave up on the Mike Padgett

I gave up on the Mike Padgett motor vehicle location years ago. After enough complaints maybe they will be closed up as an uneccessary location. I gladly drive out to Colombia county for the much better customer service.

happychimer
happychimer 12/20/11 - 10:49 pm
I got my license renewed

I got my license renewed today in Richmond County, and nobody was rude to me. I did have to wait a long time, but they had a full house, and just 4 windows open. They needed 10. I would have gone to Columbia County, but we had to pass by the one in Richond on the way to see a sick friend.I prefer the one in Columbia County, because it is not a long wait.