Rants and Raves

Comments from readers:

WHILE WALKING MY dogs at Phinizy Swamp, I met a gentleman who had lost his dog when he was fishing at the Mayor’s Fishing Hole. He was worried that someone may have taken him into their car even though the dog was on a chain. If someone has this dog I hope they will make every effort to get it back to the rightful owner as he was truly heartbroken.

A RAVE TO ALL the doctors, nurses and assistants at MCG Neuro ICU who took such great and compassionate care of my mother, who was admitted there two weeks in November for a rare brain infection. I credit them with saving her life and helping our family through a very scary time. What an amazing group of caregivers.

THE BUSES HAVE been much more on time thanks to Mobility. I was worried at first when a lot of the former drivers were substituted. But now, most drivers are a lot better at not leaving the bus station just as other buses pull in. They also do not rush through a round to sit for 10 minutes or sit somewhere before they then go into the station, therefore running early at the top of the round. I am no longer stranded by a rushing driver now. So a lot less waiting a whole 40 or 80 minutes ’til the next bus round I want. And they are much more timely on the routes, especially Augusta Mall. I don’t know where you got the idea of 15 minutes but all buses run either 40 or 80 minutes per round. May Mobility keep up the good work!

A HUGE RAVE to Leanna at Portrait Innovations outside the mall. She was super nice and patient despite the store being really busy and took some great pictures of our family for baby’s first Christmas. Also, thank you for the wonderful Christmas gift! You did a wonderful job and a smile never left your face. Merry Christmas! :)

A HUGE RAVE TO THE lady who came to my aid with her car and jumper cables last week in the Harbor Freight parking lot when my battery failed. Also thanks to the gentleman who helped push my car out of the parking space and others who offered assistance. I was humbled and impressed by the “kindness of strangers,” and I will “pass it on.”

PLEASE, YOU ANIMAL LOVERS, keep your pets in your yard. Believe me I love dogs, but these sneaky cats are up for no good when they go on other people’s property. What good is a leash law? Keep them in your yard, they do not need to aggravate other people. I hate them.

scgator
scgator 12/19/11 - 12:26 am
HUGE RANT to Augusta/Richmond

HUGE RANT to Augusta/Richmond County for towing the vehicles of hunters parked "well beyond" the federal DOT guidelines on the side of Bobby Jones Expressway while hunting in Phinizy Swamp. According to the way the Georgia Code is written, in this case, it is only illegal BECAUSE Richmond County posted the signs....http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2006/40/40-6-203.html I could understand this, if these hunters were endangering the passing motorists, but they always park well off of the roadway. AGAIN, I make the statement...Augusta/ Richmond County wonders why citizens do not respect the local government and all the while moving the tax base out of Augusta as quickly as they can. I know this is just a parking "issue", but there is a much more serious issue here concerning how "little" our local government thinks of its citizens. KEEP GOING AUGUSTA GOVERNMENT, AND IN 10-15 YEARS ALL YOU WILL HAVE IN AUGUSTA IS THE POOR WHO CANNOT AFFORD TO MOVE AND CANNOT AFFORD TO PAY YOUR EVER INCREASING TAXES.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/19/11 - 07:26 am
I am an animal lover but do

I am an animal lover but do agree owners should keep up with their pets....my daughter just lost her beloved lab.....beautiful loving dog......if you have never loved an animal you have missed a lot in life......she is having him cremated & his ashes spread at the lake (Augusta)His favorite place...

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 12/19/11 - 07:29 am
Back when I drove buses in a

Back when I drove buses in a large city out west, we had time built in to our block (schedule for my particular time slot) at certain recovery points. If we made it there with time to spare we held position until the departure time giving us several times to catch up to our scheduled points.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 12/19/11 - 07:30 am
The side of an interstate is

The side of an interstate is not meant to be a parking lot

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/19/11 - 07:35 am
Have to have tests this

Have to have tests this am.....so I won't be on here running my mouth...or banging fingers.....check to see if blood still flows & all that stuff........I wonder if we will ever find a way to keep a body at the 35 year ole age...now that would be nice...like maybe freeze the body at night so age-ing would only take place during the day....when you are thawed.....that would half the cycle of age-ing...soif you are 60 in actual age your bady would be 30....don't we have some frozen bodies waiting to be thawed in the future?? Somewhere in California.....maybe Einstein or other great minds ....or tech smarties...

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/19/11 - 07:37 am
I wish I had been frozen and

I wish I had been frozen and waiting things out a few of the years I've had.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/19/11 - 07:46 am
YOU frozen....you are too

YOU frozen....you are too curious & nosey to stay frozen..:)

Well Mr Stewart.....I see Grooveytown will really be grooving on Sundays .....did I see you in line???

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 12/19/11 - 08:34 am
No, Sweetie, I was very

No, Sweetie, I was very happily celebrating with friends in Columbia whose son will now be coming home from Afghanistan before Christmas instead of February! There's a gift that needs no bow!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/19/11 - 11:07 am
Mornin y'all! I agree that

Mornin y'all! I agree that pets should be controlled, so as not to inconvenience others. Cats are a special breed that will roam when allowed to be outside. We are down to four cats, and all our cats are inside kitties. One is allowed to stay outside, but she never leaves the yard or our garage.

Now, there is a huge pit bull that lives next door. I love my neighbors, but they are less responsible about keeping the giant poop machine in their yard. At least once a day, the hundred pound waste processor visits us, looking for food, or just to say hello (in doggie). He is a lovable animal, but the "messages" leaves behind sour the relationship. Oh, his name is "Dooley." Guess who he is named after? Guess I'm going to have to get a bigger shovel.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/19/11 - 11:10 am
That will be a great

That will be a great Christmas for your Friends, dstewart! In fact, it will be a great Christmas when they all come home. God bless our troops!

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 12/19/11 - 11:17 am
Sargebaby, just be sure to

Sargebaby, just be sure to use that shovel to deposit his "leavings" back onto the neighbor's yard. If they don't get the message then they are pretty dense.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/19/11 - 11:35 am
Good Morning to Sceenit and

Good Morning to Sceenit and all the great guy posters. Another beautiful day. I watched the game, River, and thought New England is a class act!
Now I have two favorite teams, not bad, for a girl who hasn't liked the game.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/19/11 - 11:38 am
I hate to say it, but they

I hate to say it, but they are a little "dense." We even put up a sign, and that helped for awhile. If it weren't for Dooley leaving messages and trying to play with our oldest kitty, he would probably be a fun dog to play with. For his size and menacing appearance, he is plain goofy, and pretty much a wuss! I love petting him, but Precious panics every time he comes around!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/19/11 - 11:42 am
G'mornin WB, how you beez?

G'mornin WB, how you beez? Are you ready for the celebration this Sunday? We are trying to find two more gifts for the Great-Grandchildren, and we're done! So help me, next year (if I'm still here), I won't go within five miles of Augusta Mall or the "Exchange." Those places are crazy!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/19/11 - 11:55 am
I'm doing great, Sargebaby,

I'm doing great, Sargebaby, and I'm so glad that you are feeling frisky again. Yes, I am looking forward to Sunday and celebrating the birth of my Savior! He saved me for heaven, and He keeps saving me from something, everyday. Meet me on R & R sometime this Sunday to talk about what a wonderful Savior He is. Good luck with those last gifts for the greats! You are an awesome husband and grandfather to help Precious with her Christmas shopping. My husband helped me too this year. We had so much fun together; I spent less, and got done quicker. Felt safer, too. Good husbands and fathers are gifts from the Lord.

daphne3520
daphne3520 12/19/11 - 12:27 pm
Last Rant: I couldn't agree

Last Rant: I couldn't agree more. Cat owner's seem to think they are above the law and are absolutely egotistical.

KSL
KSL 12/19/11 - 12:52 pm
That's because cats think

That's because cats think that. Seriously, the city council of Aiken took a different attitude toward cats as to dogs when it came to developing the leash law ordinance years ago.

allhans
allhans 12/19/11 - 01:24 pm
I had a cat once, a lovable

I had a cat once, a lovable lazy thing that liked the outdoors. My next door neighbor, (this was an attached condo at Forest Hills racquet Club) complained constantly about my cat sleeping on his car (which was true). But then it seemed that when I came out unexpectedly, there the neighbor sat in his rocking chair with my cat sleeping away in his lap. Yes..a lovable creature.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/19/11 - 03:03 pm
Cats,unlike dogs, are not

Cats,unlike dogs, are not burdened with people pleasing.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 12/19/11 - 04:09 pm
...And are a credible

...And are a credible substitute for chicken in many recipies.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/19/11 - 04:10 pm
The Difference Between Cats

The Difference Between Cats and Dogs

1.Dogs come when you call them. Cats take a message and get back to you when they are good and ready.
2.Dogs will give you unconditional love forever. Cats will make you pay for every mistake you"ve ever made since the day you were born.
3.Dogs will let you give them a bath without taking out a contract on your life.
4.Dogs will tilt their heads and listen whenever you talk. Cats will yawn and close their eyes.
5.Dogs will bark to wake you up if the house is on fire. Cats will quietly sneak out the back door.
6.Dogs will sit, lie down, and heel on command. Cats will smirk and walk away.
7.Dogs will bring you your slippers or the evening newspaper. Cats might bring you a dead mouse.
8.Dogs will greet you and lick your face when you come home from work. Cats will be mad that you went to work at all.
9.Dogs will play Frisbee with you all afternoon. Cats will take a three hour nap.
10.Dogs will sit on the car seat next to you. Cats have to have their own private box or they will not go at all.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/19/11 - 04:58 pm
11. Cats don’t need adult

11. Cats don’t need adult supervision to do their business and they leave it in a disposable box with odor control. With a yard dogs,
don’t need help but you take your own chances; on-the-other-hand, without a yard dogs need close supervision and their own personal clean-up crew.

12. Cats bath themselves; dogs not so much.

13. Cats don’t roll in dead organic matter and bring as back home as they can.

14. The vast majority of cats fit in a carrier in front of your feet on a plane; only works for girly-man dogs so no Rin Tin Tin for you, you need to leave Rin with a possible Caniophile, after all, how can you tell these days? Poor Rin, now has “HSHS (House Sitter Helsinki Syndrome)”.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/19/11 - 06:22 pm
Willow, barring any

Willow, barring any unpleasant side effects, I'll be visiting the R&R on Sunday to discuss our Lord and Savior. He has blessed me in so many ways, so many times, I am amazed at His mercy. I have plenty of stories, but we will discuss them at your leisure.

KSL
KSL 12/19/11 - 06:25 pm
LOL Bj, No, no, no, seenit. A

LOL Bj,

No, no, no, seenit. A cat will let you know that something is wrong. Our house is 90 feet long, with the kitchen near one end and our bedroom at the other end. My husband once put some bread in a toaster and forgot about it. It caught on fire. Flames were coming out of the toaster. A cookbook got singed. A very alert cat came running to us growling. No harm done.

And you can bet your life, it there is someone in our backyard, they will and do growl.

KSL
KSL 12/19/11 - 06:27 pm
Oh, and about the dead mouse.

Oh, and about the dead mouse. It's the meaning behind the gift. We had snow on the ground and one of our cats brought us something she had caught. It was the only time she shared. Now, what's more thoughtful, slippers or food?

KSL
KSL 12/19/11 - 06:30 pm
And don't forget about the

And don't forget about the time my cat overheard me telling my husband I wanted a bullfrog for my pond. That evening he brought me the biggest bullfrog I have ever seen, unharmed. I did have to clean the bedspread he plopped him down on.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/19/11 - 06:33 pm
Cats came into my life when

Cats came into my life when Precious and I were married, almost fifty-five years ago. She had an orange tabby, that stole my heart, and that was after owning dogs as my primary friend and pet. When "Herkimer" past his ninth and final life, we were given a chocolate point Siamese kitten. It was "Wrango" who made me a cat lover. He didn't act like any cat I ever saw. Wrango was a game player. Fetch, hide and attack, chase, he was like no other cat. Wrango lived for eighteen years, and was quickly replaced by Magnum, another chocolate point Siamese. Magnum was Wrango, reincarnated. Magnum gave us another eighteen years of love and pleasure. Yep, I'm a cat person!

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 12/19/11 - 06:57 pm
KSL, our son has a cat

KSL, our son has a cat (Abyssinian) that growls when he hears activity outside/around the front door.

KSL
KSL 12/19/11 - 07:05 pm
Yep, its, mine growl when the

Yep, its, mine growl when the doorbell rings. They also alerted me to severe weather. They don't usually hide when there is a thunderstorm, so I thought we were having a normal thunderstorm until they took off and hid under the bed. I heard nothing, but they heard a tornado that was a mile away, as it turns out.

KSL
KSL 12/19/11 - 07:06 pm
Don't get me wrong. I love

Don't get me wrong. I love dogs. But cats are just so much easier for us to have.

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.