Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

EVENTUALLY MAGNOLIA TRACE will have Section 8 just like the Westchester Apartments on Boy Scout Road. Crime will increase and property value will go down. It is all about profit for the county and Realtors. They do not consider the surrounding neighborhoods.

I AM SO VERY proud of the work that Dr. Wayne Frazier is doing at Glenn Hills High School. He continues to stand tall within the Glenn Hills family as well as the Augusta community as a whole. He stumbled, and he has shown that you can get back up again and stand even taller than before. That is what a real man does. I am thankful for the opportunity to work with him.

A RANT TO publisher of the Jail Report. I hope one day that you or one of your loved ones do something wrong, make a mistake and end up on the front cover. You are making money off of other people’s misery. It should be abolished.

A RANT FOR THE person who had their beautiful German shepherd riding in the back of a truck, with a leash on, on I-20 westbound. To those of you who put your animal in a truck bed, please put it in the cab, or leave it at home.

I MUCH PREFER SEEING folks out and about in their pajamas – instead of being half dressed with all their “stuff” showing! I can’t believe parents let their daughters go out with so few clothes on.

A RAVE TO all the nice people at the stores that wish me “Happy Holidays.” I am a Christian and I celebrate Christmas. I have Jewish friends that are celebrating Hanukkah at this time of year, and others that celebrate Kwanza. “Happy Holidays” is a great way to include everyone. What I don’t like is when an Atheist celebrates.

AM I THE ONLY one that does not make an illegal left turn from Wrightsboro Road into the Grovetown post office? Is the price of the ticket worth saving the minute it takes to go to the light to make the left?

KYLE MARTIN’S coverage of A Co 63rd’s return mentioned that the gym was full of eager mothers, wives, and children. Weren’t there any fathers and husbands among that group?

A RAVE FOR residents fighting Magnolia Trace. Stay the course. When dealing with the Columbia County commission, follow the money, campaign donations and gifts from friends of friends. This will show you a whole lot.

Comments (62)

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/16/11 - 05:48 am

About Dr. Frazier and Glenn

About Dr. Frazier and Glenn Hills High School...all I really know about that is what little I saw, and that was at a football game we attended there earlier this year. It was excellent! The school grounds were exceptionally clean, the parking was well organized, the gate and concession attendants were extremely courteous and obviously proud to have us there. It was just a nice experience from the time we got there to the time we left. To me, the way the Glenn Hills presented itself showed me how much the school thinks of itself! Good job and we look forward to returning the next time.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/11 - 05:50 am

Just My Opinion, an

Just My Opinion, an insightful observation. Thanks for sharing that with us.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/11 - 07:49 am

Sometimes pajamas look just

Sometimes pajamas look just like regular clothes....sometimes I forget what I have on & march to the mailbox---sometimes I forget what day it is------yesterday I forgot a good friends name----does this mean "ole age" is arriving at my door?---nnaah...couldn't be.
Good am CSRA

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/11 - 08:08 am

Yesterday RM posted that he

Yesterday RM posted that he didn't see cellphones banned from cars---hey--neither do I but texting while driving needs to go-go go...

The post ofc folks are working hard right now plus they are under pressure....please be kind to your postman this season...:)
Especially the little-bitty towns outside of Augusta....that won't be ittty bitty much longer if Columbia county keeps bringing in section 8..

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/11 - 08:11 am

Cgee....Enjoy your open

Cgee....Enjoy your open spaces now because with the decisions coming down with the commish------ there will be a stampede coming toward ya..

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/16/11 - 08:21 am

Morning B4, It damn sure

Morning B4, It damn sure better not be no Section 8 BS......May need to import some nice Black Bears from "way" up northern NY, my home town.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/11 - 08:39 am

Hi Cg....Would you believe we

Hi Cg....Would you believe we have bears running around this neck of the woods...some are leaving North Ga.& coming south----a big one was killed on I-85 a few years back....some say they are eating from bird feeders....next thing you know we will have section 8 bears living here.....That reminds me of a cartoon of a bear sitting at a picnic table waiting for lunch to be served..
We create the mess of freebies (or our biiig government does)& then weaning them off is almost impossible..

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/16/11 - 08:43 am

I wouldn't wean then. The

I wouldn't wean then. The answer is "starve" them.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/11 - 08:43 am

The Birdfeeder I bought a

The Birdfeeder

I bought a bird feeder. I hung it on my back porch and filled it with seed. Within a week we had hundreds of birds taking advantage of the continuous flow of free and easily accessible food. But then the birds started building nests in the boards of the patio, above the table, and next to the barbecue.

Then came the poop. It was everywhere: on the patio tile, the chairs, the table…everywhere. Then some of the birds turned mean: They would dive bomb me and try to peck me even though I had fed them out of my own pocket. And others birds were boisterous and loud: They sat on the feeder and squawked and screamed at all hours of the day and night and demanded that I fill it when it got low on food.

After a while, I couldn’t even sit on my own back porch anymore. I took down the bird feeder and in three days the birds were gone. I cleaned up their mess and took down the many nests they had built all over the patio.

Soon, the back yard was like it used to be…quite, serene and no one demanding their rights to a free meal.

Oldie but goodie---but true

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/16/11 - 08:47 am

Oldie but fits the scene.

Oldie but fits the scene.

scratchthesurface
scratchthesurface 12/16/11 - 08:58 am

For the "Nice, Kind, Loving,

For the "Nice, Kind, Loving, Fair" citizens in Columbia County that are fighting the housing project in their area......just tell the truth, it's not about property value or school overpopulation...IT"S ABOUT RACE !!! You don't want a certain race of people living in your secluded, restricted neighborhood

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/11 - 09:00 am

Question for all the smarties

Question for all the smarties out there today....

I read in the paper that we have more on foodstamps-welfare & folks without jobs than ever B4...
More will lose their home & end up homeless..

Please tell me why oh why do we still send$$$ to other countries (millions/billions) when we can't keep social security & other programs afloat???
Why when we know most want our butts out of their country----Iraq just tossed us out---Pakistan seems to hate us---isn't it time to take care of our own???

scratchthesurface
scratchthesurface 12/16/11 - 09:03 am

seenitB4: It's all about OIL

seenitB4: It's all about OIL and Control. We want the OIL in the Middle East and we want all the Control over it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/11 - 10:16 am

ScratchtheSurface, this is

ScratchtheSurface, this is not about race. The smartest and wealthiest people in Columbia County are not white. They are the Indians. They own all the big houses and motels in town. Their kids are so smart at Columbia County high schools we have two awards for valedictorian. One for the person with the highest grades and a second one for the nonIndian with highest grades. Where I work if I see an Indian, I just automatically assume he's an important person.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/16/11 - 10:41 am

Seenit, that was a democratic

Seenit, that was a democratic bear at the picnic table and the birds must have been also. RM most of the Indians that live in West Lake work for or worked for SRS and Becthel and are engineers and scientist. Some live way below their means. I have several Indian customers that live in modest homes with very little furniture and drive small old cars around town but have the Mercedes parked in the garage. Once you learn their ways they are nice people that will always bargin so you have to be prepared up front. And to the person who mentioned race in Magnolia. It is not race the people worry about. It is the quality of the people and their children.

PJS
PJS 12/16/11 - 10:42 am

My belief in Christ, love of

My belief in Christ, love of Christmas and enjoyment of the season is NOT dependent on what anybody says to me except the author of the season Himself. Oh if we would get as intense about what God is saying to us rather than a cashier. Do you really think He cares? They spit on Him at the cross, did you hear a complaint? NO! Did you hear forgiveness and grace? Hopefully so. Satan is the great DECEIVER, he wants you to be preoccupied with demanding what others say so you can be diverted from what really matters.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/11 - 10:48 am

I love to hear that

I love to hear that conservative Indian guy call the radio program. He has such an accent, but is anti-Obama and the Democrats. An Indian guy cursing you out with that accent makes you feel like you really did something wrong. Either that or makes you laugh.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/16/11 - 10:49 am

Our own stupid domestic

Our own stupid domestic energy policies force us to be deeply involved in the middle east. If you block domestic energy production, prevent new exploration, prevent the use of clean coal technology for generating electricity, and arbitrarily block the building of the pipeline from Canada, do not pretend to be surprised that our government views the "oil" in the middle east as a national security issue. The environmental whackos are, to a large extent, responsible for our deep involvement in the middle east. Why? Because "alternative energy" as it exists today does not work. You cannot run a dump truck, 18 wheeler, fishing boat, or even a practical family car off of a D cell battery, windmill, or a solar panel. When you get that hydrogen fusion thing working and/or nuclear reactor and downsize them to about the size of a briefcase, let me know. Until then we need oil and it will either be middle east oil or domestic oil. The environmentalist have lost the "no oil" battle. We will be using oil for a long time. Now you need to vote your conscience on where we should be getting it. Personally I think it makes a lot more sense to dig a ditch from Canada to Houston and drill in a miniscule, desolate spot in ANWR than it does to continue to fight wars in the middle east and continue to send our petro dollars to people that don't like us.

David Parker
David Parker 12/16/11 - 11:07 am

Given the choice to practice

Given the choice to practice racism or maintain property value integrity... Sorry scratchie, I'm selfish and I likes my brothas and amigos. It's about $, scrilla, cheese, bread, moolah, benjis, dough, dolla dolla bills yall. Not saying that there isn't a vein of racism but generalizing us "'Nice, Kind, Loving, Fair' citizens in Columbia County " isn't accurate by any stretch.

Willow Bailey
20240
Willow Bailey 12/16/11 - 11:32 am

Opposition to the new

Opposition to the new construction in Magnolia Trace isn't about race and it most certainly is not sponsored or endorsed by area Realtors.

What it is about is FEAR. Fear of who is moving in, why they are in need of government assistance, what their values are, whether they can afford to care for the property including the grounds maintenance, how many are going to be living there, who is coming to visit, the crime rate, how are they going to live, what are they going to model, how is this going to affect my property value, the appearance of my neighborhood, my family's right to quiet enjoyment, my children's safety, my children's peers, and WHY DO I HAVE TO WORK TO SUBSIDIZE THEM so they can live in a neighborhood that they cannot afford backed by a federal and local government that is robbing and punishing others for working and paying their own way.

I think that sums it up.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/16/11 - 11:32 am

Regarding the FEAR that the

Regarding the FEAR that the Magnolia Trace residents will not be willing or able to "care for the property including grounds maintenance" should be allayed by the managers’ statements that grounds maintenance will be taken care of by the rental management company; thus it is included in the rent.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/16/11 - 11:37 am

Regarding the FEAR that the

Regarding the FEAR that the Magnolia Trace residents will interfere with Willow's family's "right to quiet enjoyment," I would remind us that the Declaration of Independence's statement that mankind has a right to "the pursuit of happiness" does not lead to a guarantee of a right to quiet enjoyment. You have to make your own quietude to enjoy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/11 - 11:39 am

Yep Willow,,that sums it up &

Yep Willow,,that sums it up & nicely too...

Just read in the AJC that doctors will refuse to take new medicare patients in the future....can the USA just take a gun & shoot ourselves in the foot....we pay for babies w/o daddies....we subsidize housing...but we are going to GUT medicare until it's useless...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/16/11 - 11:41 am

Now let me say that I join

Now let me say that I join Willow's FEAR of " a federal and local government that is robbing and punishing others for working and paying their own way." Our governments would do well to get out of the housing business completely (other than housing prisoners). In fact, if they would take ALL the money federal and local governments spend on housing and funnel it to build and maintain new prisons, we would have a much lower crime rate.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/11 - 11:41 am

LL...That is exactly what the

LL...That is exactly what the citizens did when they moved to the Martinez location....make their own quiet heaven...
How long will it last is the question...

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/16/11 - 11:43 am

Very Good summation

Very Good summation Willow!!

SeenitB4, love the bird story.....I can relate but never got dive bombed by them. :)

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/11 - 11:43 am

Martinez was quiet and

Martinez was quiet and peaceful until I moved in.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/11 - 11:44 am

And it will NEVER be the same

And it will NEVER be the same again since RM...:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/11 - 11:48 am

SeenIt, if you can change

SeenIt, if you can change Atlanta the least I can do is change Martinez.

Willow Bailey
20240
Willow Bailey 12/16/11 - 11:49 am

LL, Actually there is a lot

LL,
Actually there is a lot more to caring for property than routine or periodic mowing. And yes, there are ordinances for disturbing the peace.

No need to fret, though, rest assured Willow's family has their quiet enjoyment. You are going to busy today to comment on each line of my comment. But, feel free to knock yourself out:)