Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RAVE FOR The Augusta Chronicle. You have such a fine newspaper. I look forward to reading it on Sunday morning. Now you have motivated me to go to church and pray that I can get my newspaper before I go to church. Please work on that.

THE COLUMBIA COUNTY Christmas tree lighting was beautiful. Will the county be lighting up a menorah in the park for Hanukkah, too? There is a significant population of Jewish taxpayers in Columbia County, and a menorah would not only add to the festivity of the holiday season but also assist in the inclusiveness of Columbia County’s Jewish population.

SHAME ON THE administration at the Blythe City Hall for cutting my water off two weeks after my father died. That was such a nice way to treat a Vietnam and Korean War veteran.

I SEE THAT Miley Cyrus has joined Occupy Wall Street. That should effectively end this movement.

ANOTHER METAL THIEF caught red-handed and all he gets is a citation. Really?

A RANT TO THE school principal, two church deacons, the president of the booster club and the school board member who heard the coach cursing at a recent football game. What would have happened to an unconnected student who walked the halls cursing? I say fire them all.

YOUR EXCELLENT ARTICLE defending attacks against Michele Bachmann, but look at the sour cartoon against Herman Cain right above it. Even if he is guilty, the cartoon is just as offensive as the attacks on Bachmann. Your readers expect better from The Chronicle and usually get better.

A RAVE TO the person who commented about the noise at the public libraries. The distraction from ringing cellphones, and unsupervised, loud, crying children is ridiculous. The librarians don’t say a word. The library used to be a place to go to get work done and to be able to concentrate. Why is it all right for such conduct to be tolerated?

A RANT REGARDING your editorial “Pulling for Phillip.” Are you kidding me? Why don’t we pull for the deputy who had to make the decision to use deadly force in order to protect his own life from a crowbar-slinging criminal? Shame on you, Augusta Chronicle.

allhans
allhans 12/11/11 - 12:32 pm
I get Rant 1..The Chronicle

I get Rant 1..The Chronicle is delivered later on Sunday mornings than on weekdays. For a few weeks mine was delivered after 8 AM but recently it's better, like 7 AM.
I don't know if it is the fault of the carrier or the AC but it is a bit frustrating. Sunday Schools begins about 9:00-9:30.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/11/11 - 12:37 pm
JohnRandolphHardisonCain sez;

JohnRandolphHardisonCain sez; "This war has been an entire waste of lives, resources, and goodwill.

Every war is an entire waste of lives, resources, and goodwill. But we already know this! It's old news, John!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/11/11 - 12:42 pm
Hey, Riverman, come join Post

Hey, Riverman, come join Post 192! I've been a member for two years and haven't been inside the place, yet! I hear they have great steaks on Friday nights, and they are c-h-e-e-p! I'm gonna go one of these days! If you're not already a member, I can hook you up!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/11 - 12:58 pm
Sarge, I appreciate the

Sarge, I appreciate the offer, but the other post really let me in. I was just playing with y'all. However, they did say they would watch me closely for awhile. Heh. I may go there today.

raul
raul 12/11/11 - 01:31 pm
I must admit there are two

I must admit there are two anonymous posters that I am curious to know their true identity... Riverman and Countyman. But, I guess if I knew, that would take all the fun out of guessing.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/11 - 02:07 pm
Raul, I think I know who you

Raul, I think I know who you are with that name and the way you reacted to the poster slamming CNN the other day. But, trust me, I'm nothing special and have met many of my foes and friends. Like I was telling Willow if she had turned up at the meeting the other night, she would have been surprised at how I'm a normal looking person no matter how I seem here. Heh.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/11 - 02:06 pm
Okay, here's a real rant. Why

Okay, here's a real rant. Why do all my shirts have an oily stain dead center in the middle over my chest? I don't suppose this is some kind of religious message, but more than likely related to my eating habits.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 12/11/11 - 02:11 pm
While the 8 year 9 month long

While the 8 year 9 month long U.S. war in Iraq is supposedly winding down (but not exactly on U.S. terms) the 10 year 2 month long U.S. war in Afghanistan continues apace. American military supremacists still don't get it. Killing Iraqi civilians poisoned Iraq's relationship with United States (see my link on page 1 of this rant). The same thing is happening in Afghanistan. Killing and killing and killing will never bring peace, security, or prosperity to Afghanistan nor will it bring same to U.S..

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/11 - 02:18 pm
Cain, don't expect me to

Cain, don't expect me to admit to this later. But regardless of our difference in politics and world views, you were right about our involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq. We should have bombed some people after 9-11 and left it at that. We would have been much better off financially and saved a lot of good soldiers from harm.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/11 - 02:25 pm
Okay, should I go to the VFW

Okay, should I go to the VFW or the Finish Line and drink 19 doubles or drive to Macon and buy a bottle?

happychimer
happychimer 12/11/11 - 02:26 pm
I agree River

I agree River

raul
raul 12/11/11 - 03:36 pm
@ Riverman. I must be getting

@ Riverman. I must be getting old. I don't remember commenting to a poster slamming CNN the other day. Raul is a nickname given to me in high school which was many, many years ago.

Taylor B
Taylor B 12/11/11 - 04:59 pm
Aw come on Riverman, you can

Aw come on Riverman, you can trust me! When I ran for Senate, there was me (auto technician) Hardie Davis (a preacher) and Harold Jones ( a lawyer). Talk about trust issues!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/11/11 - 05:16 pm
I've been out of town for 3

I've been out of town for 3 days and come back to find I am on Roadkills' list; I hope it is a good list to be on! SeenitB4?!

Hey, River, I'm not dodging you. I trust you and you can trust me.
I'm not promising to be normal though.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 12/11/11 - 06:58 pm
U.S. forces are leaving Iraq

U.S. forces are leaving Iraq because Iraqi civilian deaths at the hands of the U.S. military have poisoned their welcome in the country. United States is leaving a mess behind in Iraq. There are still a large number of Iraqi external refugees (many in Syria where their future is uncertain) as well as many internal refugees displaced inside Iraq. The U.S. invasion and occupation of Iraq has been nothing short of a disaster for these people. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/12/11/132550/huge-numbers-of-iraqis-stil...

happychimer
happychimer 12/11/11 - 10:46 pm
I am sick of war.

I am sick of war.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/11 - 11:17 pm
Yeah, it's time to have a few

Yeah, it's time to have a few decades of peace. Move to a new phase and call it whatever you want. Cold War, anything but a real shooting war. Enough.

KSL
KSL 12/11/11 - 11:26 pm
Tired of the bleeding hearts

Tired of the bleeding hearts for the so-called innocent people. They have been around for decades trying to promote their causes.

How many decades of peace would we have had if 9/11 had not happened?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/11 - 11:33 pm
KSL, yeah, I understand. I'm

KSL, yeah, I understand. I'm just frustrated with the whole thing. You know?

KSL
KSL 12/11/11 - 11:37 pm
And if they do it again, take

And if they do it again, take no prisoners, spare no effort, and if innocents are killed, let the rest of the population take it out on the perps.

KSL
KSL 12/11/11 - 11:39 pm
Nagasaki and Hiroshima ended

Nagasaki and Hiroshima ended a war and that unfortunately is what it takes some times.

KSL
KSL 12/11/11 - 11:55 pm
JRHC, ever the bleeding

JRHC, ever the bleeding heart. What do you think should have happened to the people behind the people behind 9/11?

Fatality highlights golf cart safety

Erin Hutchison, whose mother has driven a golf cart for a decade, described the vehicles as “relaxing,” but the recent death of a young girl in Aiken has raised awareness of the danger they ...