Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RAVE FOR The Augusta Chronicle. You have such a fine newspaper. I look forward to reading it on Sunday morning. Now you have motivated me to go to church and pray that I can get my newspaper before I go to church. Please work on that.

THE COLUMBIA COUNTY Christmas tree lighting was beautiful. Will the county be lighting up a menorah in the park for Hanukkah, too? There is a significant population of Jewish taxpayers in Columbia County, and a menorah would not only add to the festivity of the holiday season but also assist in the inclusiveness of Columbia County’s Jewish population.

SHAME ON THE administration at the Blythe City Hall for cutting my water off two weeks after my father died. That was such a nice way to treat a Vietnam and Korean War veteran.

I SEE THAT Miley Cyrus has joined Occupy Wall Street. That should effectively end this movement.

ANOTHER METAL THIEF caught red-handed and all he gets is a citation. Really?

A RANT TO THE school principal, two church deacons, the president of the booster club and the school board member who heard the coach cursing at a recent football game. What would have happened to an unconnected student who walked the halls cursing? I say fire them all.

YOUR EXCELLENT ARTICLE defending attacks against Michele Bachmann, but look at the sour cartoon against Herman Cain right above it. Even if he is guilty, the cartoon is just as offensive as the attacks on Bachmann. Your readers expect better from The Chronicle and usually get better.

A RAVE TO the person who commented about the noise at the public libraries. The distraction from ringing cellphones, and unsupervised, loud, crying children is ridiculous. The librarians don’t say a word. The library used to be a place to go to get work done and to be able to concentrate. Why is it all right for such conduct to be tolerated?

A RANT REGARDING your editorial “Pulling for Phillip.” Are you kidding me? Why don’t we pull for the deputy who had to make the decision to use deadly force in order to protect his own life from a crowbar-slinging criminal? Shame on you, Augusta Chronicle.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/11/11 - 01:32 am
Scientific studies and

Scientific studies and surveys... another look

Many posters post links the the latest survey to prove their point. Let's take a look at two recent surveys and studies.

First there was a renowned entomologist and a well respected university who did the following study. He placed a grasshopper in a empty room except for a single table. A loud speaker was hidden under the table so that it couldn't be seen by the grasshopper. The walls, floor, and ceiling were all painted white except for a small observation window with a one-way mirror. The entomologist placed the grasshopper on the table and left the room. Once outside he spoke into a microphone connected to the speaker. He spoke just one word, "jump". Sure enough the grasshopper jumped. He then amputated the front set of legs from the grasshopper and repeated the experiment. Again when he said "jump", the grasshopper jumped. He then amputated the middle set of legs and repeated the experiment again. Same result, the grasshopper jumped. He then amputated the rear set of legs and repeated the experiment once more. This time the grasshopper made no movement at all. Which proves beyond a doubt, based on the scientific data gathered, that when the rear legs are removed from a grasshopper he is completely deaf.

Next is a survey among dentists as to which is the best to brush you teeth with. X brand toothpaste or plain baking soda. The results were nearly 100% for the brand X toothpaste.

So you see, when you hit me with the latest data or survey why I might be just a little bit skeptical?

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 12/11/11 - 05:24 am
I concur that many school

I concur that many school coaches use of profanity along with their actions are clearly unacceptable and they should be repremanded, suspended and fired if they fail to change their behavior. Additionally, if the pricincal or any administrator is aware of it and fails to act, they should be fired. They punish the students for it in school and then at school functions act ridiculous. This is no better than how Lakeside High School defended a coach for teaching our youth to cheat.

Athletics does have a place in school but the way many coaches, parents and administrators act and/or allow negative behavior to continue is not acceptable and should not be tollerated. HS Sports should teach teamwork, good sportsmanship and positive behavior.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/11/11 - 08:03 am
Good Morning America. It is

Good Morning America.

It is so nice to see "all this PC handwriting on the wall" in today's R&R.
Makes you feel so Happy....

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/11/11 - 09:02 am
"Will the county be lighting

"Will the county be lighting up a menorah in the park for Hanukkah, too? "

Ranter#2, During the Christmas Tree lighting, if they had lite a Star of David or a Cross then maybe you would have a legit complaint but since it was a Christmas Tree or I should say a Holiday Tree then the religious aspect has been taken out of it (or so we are told)

If Christian taxpayers have to keep their religion out of government then I'm sure it will apply to the large Jewish taxpaying population as well.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/11/11 - 09:05 am
ICL, very good point, hadn't

ICL, very good point, hadn't thought about it that way.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/11 - 09:31 am
Goodmorning-goodmorning to

Goodmorning-goodmorning to all......

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/11 - 09:36 am

Now this is a very interesting study....it shows that animals have compassion for their friends & that females show MORE than the males...& the females figured out the problem B4 the males..
hehe--heheh--

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/11 - 09:40 am
Sometimes I feel like we

Sometimes I feel like we humans are in some kind of study here on earth & we just aren't aware.....
of course I'm sure the females will figure it out B4 you males & when we do ...heheh....we might explain it toya...& maybe not..:)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/11/11 - 10:09 am
B4, I think you posted under

B4, I think you posted under Saturday on R&R?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/11/11 - 10:17 am
What time is it? Is it Sunday

What time is it? Is it Sunday or Saturday? Can't rightly tell, because of the blurring speed at which Precious wants to attack shopping for the remainder of the Grandchildren's Christmas gifts.

Not blurred so much that I can't say hello to SB4 and my Brother CobaltGeorge. Hope you are both feeling as good as I do, right now.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/11/11 - 10:20 am
Jim, glad to see you are

Jim, glad to see you are feeling good enough to "charge the hill"

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/11 - 10:22 am
Good morning, my fellow

Good morning, my fellow anonymous coward internet posters, especially SeenIt,who holds us all together as usual. Thanks for the kind words from all about my late night posts. I appreciate you all.

About my posts, I don't think I'm smarter than anyone because when you get in that mindset, it's easiest to be deceived. I just observe what other people who I know are brilliant are talking about and put it together with a touch of humor. I am always skeptical concerning public officials, those running charities and auto repair places (especially Taylor). Heh.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/11/11 - 10:27 am
I gotta rant about the low

I gotta rant about the low income housing development currently being constructed between El Cordero and Petersburg Station sub-divisions. This is absolutely neighborhood devaluation, based purely on the location of construction. The Planning and Development folks of Columbia County have lost their ever-loving minds! This is blatantly an act of greed by Col. Cty. officials, to gain more taxes without regard to the highest and best use of the property being developed. Besides that, the construction crews are displacing the Peacocks of the old El Cordero Ranch. There ought to be a law against this, and I hope the attorney that was hired, can stop the construction. In reality, it will never happen.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/11/11 - 10:32 am
Good morning, George, it

Good morning, George, it feels good to feel good, my Friend!

Riverman, I have never kept my identity a secret. I have posted it many times over the past few years, and I’ll post it today! I am Jim McKenzie, my Mom and Dad’s oldest son. (Possibly the ugliest of the two of us, as I have a younger Brother.)

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/11/11 - 10:37 am
Riverman, have you tried

Riverman, have you tried Riverfront on Evans to Locks Rd? If you do, ask for Ryan Stalk and tell him that "Paw Paw' sent you! I've never had bad service there, and they wash your vehicle before they return it to you. Really nice folks and good mechanics.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/11/11 - 10:41 am
Jim, I am so glad I have kept

Jim, I am so glad I have kept my identity under wrap!!!!!!

By the way, Our Vet was taken off of life support Friday at 0215 PM and he is still with us. On the way out to see him now. CU all Later.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/11/11 - 10:44 am
Back to "fellow anonymous

Back to "fellow anonymous coward internet posters;" when I first started posting, it was in the old AC. There were hundreds of monikers signed on, so I just picked out my Mom's favorite name that she gave me, back in the 1960's, "Sargebaby." I'm rather proud of that moniker, because it was my Mom who gave it to me. Everyone in my family still calls me by that name, so it became a habit, not because I sought to be anonymous. Now, ya know! :)

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/11 - 10:45 am
Hey Sarge, George, well, I

Hey Sarge, George, well, I did try to keep my identity a secret, but I had a public official, a radio guy, a head of a charity and a newspaper person all let me know they know who I am (almost said was). Ha.

But see, there's another side to anonymity. It's not all about saying anonymous bad things abouth public figures. When I compliment it's without motive.

I hear far too many people wanting to compliment a public official or influential person because they want the person to know they are complimenting them. It gives them clout to have their words looked upon favorably by powerful folks.

I and others like me, on the other hand, point out the good deeds of people such as Billy Morris and public officials and praise them when they deserve it. I suspect they feel much more warm and fuzzy when an anonymous person says something good about them.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/11/11 - 10:45 am
See you later, George! I'll

See you later, George! I'll hook up with you this afternoon.

daphne3520
daphne3520 12/11/11 - 10:47 am
First Rave: Please get a

First Rave: Please get a life!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/11/11 - 10:51 am
I agree, Riverman. Before the

I agree, Riverman. Before the AC made the changes now in effect, I got off some things I would retract if I could. Now days, I try to be as "nice" as possible, without causing hard feelings in a public forum. It doesn't pay. Not to mention, I turned over a new leaf; if you wouldn't say it to your Mom and Dad, it's best not to say it at all!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/11 - 10:51 am
Definition of HUMBLE PIE : a

Definition of HUMBLE PIE
: a figurative serving of humiliation usually in the form of a forced submission, apology, or retraction —often used in the phrase eat humble pie

Did someone eat some pie last night?? I'm dreaming....couldn't be HIM
just not his style....let me wakeup & put some music on here...

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/11 - 10:53 am
I am speaking of bobblehead

I am speaking of bobblehead ...not you sarge...GOOD am Sarge.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/11/11 - 10:54 am
Hello, Daphne3520! I think

Hello, Daphne3520! I think that comment was made in jest! Since we can't hear what the ranter wrote, it's hard to tell!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/11/11 - 10:56 am
Hi, SB4! Surely you don't

Hi, SB4! Surely you don't mean my Friend Riverman, do ya? :)

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/11/11 - 10:58 am
Well, there goes the first

Well, there goes the first warning! Precious says we gotta get ready to go, so I'll catch up with you later! Y'all play nice now, ya heeaah?

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 12/11/11 - 11:00 am
American war supporters need

American war supporters need to be reminded everyday what a disaster their 8 year 9 month long war in Iraq has been and remains. American soldiers did kill Iraqi civilians - repeatedly. The U.S. can try to leave Iraq, but the status quo which it imposed will not endure. This war has been an entire waste of lives, resources, and goodwill. http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/civilian-deaths-at-root-...

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/11 - 11:03 am

I'm lost in the 50s....remember the good looking chevys with the fins on the back end...theThunder Road white 51 fords....fender skirts---dice hanging from the mirror....the Drive Ins movies & beer joints,,....No1 drive thru...Timmermans---Pig & Whistle---Lombards Pond---ooooh for the good ole days again.....Skyview Drive Inn.......many a date night---Teen Town ----parents who would kick our hineys in a skinny minute---wow----I miss that!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/11 - 11:25 am
SeenIt, I'm always humble

SeenIt, I'm always humble even if I have to get aggressive in my never ending battle for truth, justice and the American way. I'm telling you if I didn't have a job and the Walmart greeter, I'd have absolutely no friends without my internet ones.

I worried about that and tried to join VFW Post 3800 last year, figuring I could relate to the vets. When it was time to be voted in, I had to wait outside on the deck while they had their meeting. But the problem was you could drink out there. I waited so long, I got drunk and when they called me in to make me a member, I told them they were all a bunch of has beens.

The Commander tore up my membership approval to the cheers of the crowd. But I was so drunk I didn't quite get it and somehow got another drink from the bartender who wasn't paying attention. The crowd came after me.

I grabbed a rolled up VFW flag and swung it at them as I was able to back out the door with my drink still in hand. I managed to make it to my pick-up and threw the dang flag back to them like I was spearing something. I had actually aimed it at the chest of the big guy leading the mob.

I made it out of the parking lot on Gun Club Rd, where those out there shooting on the range decided to turn their shotguns on me. My truck was riddled with buckshot and my back window with the "Tear Down This Levee, Mr. Copenhaver" sticker on the back was shattered. The sticker looked awful stuck to all that fragmented glass as I sped up the gravel road.

So I was too drunk to drive all the way home and decided I pull into the Pilot Truck Stop there since, afterall, I was driving a truck of sorts. I woke up with a woman who I later learned was named Jenny knocking on my window wanting a ride to Ludowici that I just happen to know the way to. But this is going too far and that's another story.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/11 - 11:40 am
Heheh...RM....You & Sylvia

Heheh...RM....You & Sylvia are two of a kind...:)