Woman killed in head-on collision in McDuffie County

Garth Snow/Morris News Service
A woman driving this car with South Carolina plates was killed Friday morning outside of Thomson.

THOMSON — A South Carolina woman was killed about 4:45 a.m. Friday in a head-on collision with a tractor-trailer seven miles south of Thomson on Wrens Highway.

Back | Next
A car was loaded onto a flatbed truck Friday morning south of Thomson on Wrens Highway. The driver of the sedan was killed in the collision with a tractor-trailer.   GARTH SNOW/MORRIS NEWS SERVICE
GARTH SNOW/MORRIS NEWS SERVICE

Candice Delaine McDonald, 21, of Greenwood, was declared dead at the scene, according to a Georgia State Highway Patrol spokesman.

The driver of the tractor-trailer was not injured. Eddie Lee Strobridge, of Soper­-
ton, Ga., had been hauling wood by-products for Williams Bros. Trucking Inc., of Hazlehurst, Ga.

Senior Trooper John Freeman quoted a witness as saying the car passed another southbound car at the crest of the hill at 4732 Wrens Highway and then lingered in the northbound lane.

The truck and the car both ended up on the roadside more than 200 feet north of where the collision appeared to take place.

Freeman said the victim had to be extricated from the smashed vehicle.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/09/11 - 08:29 am
I hate to hear this...some of

I hate to hear this...some of us have loveones in area.:(

allhans
allhans 12/09/11 - 10:50 am
I have niece who is a

I have niece who is a physical therapist at Eisenhower and travels the Wrens Hwy in the mornings. I don't think she would be out at that hour, but I would like to know more.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 12/09/11 - 11:54 am
Have no idea who was

Have no idea who was involved, but someone lost a loved one and my heart goes out to them.

allhans
allhans 12/09/11 - 02:04 pm
nothin2show...I don't know

nothin2show...I don't know why you would comment about the type of truck, the car was in the wrong lane. Didn't you read the article before you posted?

HHSgrad
HHSgrad 12/09/11 - 02:10 pm
I agree allhans, the car NOT

I agree allhans, the car NOT the log truck was in the wrong lane. Apparently, nothin2show4it, didn't read the complete article before making that comment. It was not the fault of the Log truck, therefore, the DOT shouldn't have to do anything.

HHSgrad
HHSgrad 12/09/11 - 02:12 pm
My prayers go out the family

My prayers go out the family of this lady. This is so sad especially with the Christmas Holidays upon us.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 12/09/11 - 02:37 pm
Didn't see that portion of

Didn't see that portion of the article. Maybe it wasn't there when I posted. You know the AC updates things often. I've worked enough accidents and seen enough log trucks to know that they are a menace on the roads. If you want to say I've got something against then that would be a correct assumption. I've pulled too many lifeless bodies out of cars hit by log and/or chipper trucks. Many trucks are not up to code and the DOT looks the other way because it is a big industry here.

cj0725
cj0725 12/09/11 - 03:07 pm
nothin2show4it. If you look

nothin2show4it. If you look at the photo it was not a log tuck. It was a regular 53ft enclosed trailer being pulled. It carries wood by products. Please read carefully before posting. Plus all this is irrelevant as someone lost a family member and my heart and prayers go out to the family.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/09/11 - 03:13 pm
The picture of this car is

The picture of this car is terrible. I read on another source that it was a 21 year old. This is heartbreaking, I feel so sorry for her parents, can't even imagine their grief.

reba530
reba530 12/09/11 - 05:13 pm
That is so sad. My heart goes

That is so sad. My heart goes out to the family

Paramedic
Paramedic 12/09/11 - 05:15 pm
The driver of this vehicle

The driver of this vehicle was 21 year old Candice McDonald of Greenwood, SC. Her mother is an RN who also recently lost a son to an accident at a young age. Please keep the family in your prayers!

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 12/09/11 - 07:51 pm
any comment that I am making

any comment that I am making is being pulled from this article except the one above. Lets see how long it takes to pull this one.

david jennings
david jennings 12/09/11 - 08:11 pm
Sad indeed, my prayers to the

Sad indeed, my prayers to the family. My prayers to the truck driver, for all we know this could be the drivers first accident. Not all big rig drivers have a professional attitude, but 2 show for it' comments are uncalled for.

delvias
delvias 12/09/11 - 09:14 pm
I am so so sorry for you and

I am so so sorry for you and your family . Drugs cause so much damage along with alcohol . My heart breaks for you and your family . I grew up with a brother that had a drug addiction , he thought it was ok because he maintained a job and a life , but now he is old and has lost so much due to drugs and I hate to say it but I think our own country encourages drug usage because it a money maker . So sad for you and your daughter . God will fix her illness and give her rest . My heart is bleeding for you .

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 12/09/11 - 09:51 pm
I am sorry for the loss of

I am sorry for the loss of your daughter and I know you are grieving for her as I would for mine if this had happened to her.

To set the record straight and since Sean deleted all of my posts I never blamed the driver of the truck so all please put that on the side. I even tried to back petal out of it but Sean deleted it.

My prayers for you and yours Mr. McDonald.

KSL
KSL 12/09/11 - 10:10 pm
But nothing, it says her car

But nothing, it says her car lingered in the road in the wrong lane. That has nothing to do with the trucks being up to code. At 4:45 in the AM? You can't blame the logging truck because she "lingered in the northbound lane."

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 12/09/11 - 10:23 pm
Can't be anymore clear. I

Can't be anymore clear. I didn't say that. Period. Nuf said.

KSL
KSL 12/09/11 - 10:27 pm
You are right, nothin.

You are right, nothin.

KSL
KSL 12/09/11 - 10:31 pm
And very likely the logging

And very likely the logging trucks on the road are menaces. But in this case it does not sound, as reported, to be the fault of the truck driver or the condition of the truck.

GreenwoodBrave
GreenwoodBrave 12/09/11 - 10:51 pm
RIP Candice. I loved working

RIP Candice. I loved working with you at Sweet Peas. You were cool to work with. You will be missed so much. Her brother did die just 3 years ago. We all are heartbroken here. Prayers to her friends and family. RIP Candice.

KSL
KSL 12/09/11 - 11:26 pm
FYI, I have saved my comments

FYI, I have saved my comments in case they are deleted if you should care to see them, ktm.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/10/11 - 12:15 am
There but for the grace of

There but for the grace of God…

RIP, young Candice Delaine McDonald

ABramlett
ABramlett 12/10/11 - 01:16 am
Our thoughts and prayers are

Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this terrible tragedy. May God heal your hearts, and comfort you in the coming days and months ahead. God Speed!

ABramlett
ABramlett 12/10/11 - 01:39 am
We love you Ken, Tami,

We love you Ken, Tami, Morgan, & Bryson McDonald....We know this is an unbearable time. Our Prayers are with you.

scoobynews
scoobynews 12/10/11 - 08:52 am
I think Mr. McDonald's

I think Mr. McDonald's postings were to let people know that drugs will ruin a young life. If anyone introduced this young girl to drugs then yes they are partially responsible. People who don't do drugs don't exactly know who the dealers are to get them from so someone at one time had to introduce them to drugs to. It is a never ending cycle. I live near this road I can tell you it has many hills and dips there are not many passing areas even though it is a pretty straight road. Prayers for the family.