Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IS IT FAIR TO borrow college money and then demand somebody else pay your debt?

A BIG RAVE TO Lt. Reynolds and his men and women at Station 7. Thank you so much for your kindness on Thanksgiving Day. You made the day very special for me, my family, and especially for my sister, Becky. May God always keep you safe.

PLANT VOGTLE HAS expansion plans that are $42 million over budget. How can a private business make such a mess? It’s because the federal government stalled things.

A RANT TO ALL those shoppers who stole time from their families on the one day set aside each year to be thankful for what we have instead of being greedy for what they can get. And what 2-year-old really needs a $300 toy car, even if she did save $150? Yes, times are hard, but why not teach your children the value of a dollar by giving them sensibly priced items and helping them to learn to appreciate what they have?

THE BELOVED WHISTLE Stop restaurant at Greene and Sixth streets was burned down by arson over Thanksgiving. This is why Augusta will always be a second-rate town. We have a historical landmark like the Whistle Stop that was turning into a positive community place to meet, and some derelict with no respect throws a fire bomb in the window and up in smoke good community goes.

CONGRESSIONAL politicians claim that they can’t find places to cut the budget. Have you ever seen such blatant liars?

I’M SO GLAD TO see the entertainment the Republican presidential candidates are supplying. It’s too bad there’s nothing funny about their foolishness to refuse to raise taxes a little bit on the ones who earn the most.

TO THE PERSON OR people who regularly seem to come by my house after I’ve spent hours getting up pine straw. This pine straw didn’t magically appear in trash cans or bags just for you. Like a thief in the night you appear and take my pine straw without asking. Maybe your parents didn’t raise you to ask permission to take things that don’t belong to you or to work for things you might want or need, but mine did. If you want my pine straw, come knock on my door and ask. I will tell you to get my rake and help yourself.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 12/07/11 - 01:41 am
Anyone who thinks it is funny

Anyone who thinks it is funny to raise taxes on people just because they have become successful even though they already pay over 80% of all taxes collected in the US is a sad individual with wealth envy. The government does not need any more money to waste. As the other ranter noted, $42 million over budget on just ONE govt. program, US Post Office in debt 10 Billion and may go bankrupt, etc...

If you want to give more money to the govt. then do so but stop trying to force ANYONE to pay more so that it may be wasted by the Feds.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/07/11 - 03:18 am
Last rant... You can't be

Last rant... You can't be serious, asking somebody to WORK for something. And for something free at that. Gimme a break.

corgimom
corgimom 12/07/11 - 04:07 am
"A RANT TO ALL those shoppers

"A RANT TO ALL those shoppers who stole time from their families on the one day set aside each year to be thankful for what we have instead of being greedy for what they can get."

And a rant to all of those who think that they should dictate to others as to how other people should spend their Thanksgiving Day.

And no, I didn't go shopping on Thanksgiving Day. But that was my choice to make.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/07/11 - 06:03 am
The unfairness in the tax

The unfairness in the tax system is not that rich people do not pay enough. The unfairness is that 47% of the people do not pay any income tax. You start making every person that gets a check pay SOMETHING.....10%, 5%, 2%.......SOMETHING, and then the freeloaders might get a clearer idea of the definition of the word fair. They might also start paying attention to how the politicians spend THEIR money. One of the biggest problem we have in this country is the attitude that is taken by almost half of the adults that they are entitled to live here, use the roads, government services, be protected by the military, and not pay anything towards the maintenance of the government. I think the phrase is "for the common good" and that infers being paid for by the "common" people. I don't see anywhere that it says that half live for free, the other half pay for it, and a very few pay for most of it. But I will consider the argument that the rich COULD pay a few more % IF you make everyone put something in the pot. But this attitude that apparently half of the population believes that if somebody else has something we should take if from them is just like the attitude these thieving little street punks have who break into our houses and cars and stick pistols in our faces in the mall parking lot. They use the same argument to justify stealing our wallets and TVs that the "make the rich pay for everything" people use to justify taking someone else's money. It's not fair that you have a big screen TV and money in your wallet and they don't is their rationale for stealing from you. Never mind the fact that you earned it and they didn't. You "tax the rich" advocates have the same mentality as street thieves. You all want something but you don't want to pay for it. So the next time somebody kicks in your back door and steals your "stuff", just remember that they were entitled to do that because you had "stuff" and they didn't.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/07/11 - 06:28 am
dichotomy, what more can

dichotomy, what more can anybody say, you said it all.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/11 - 06:52 am
Yep...cgee...dichotomy has

Yep...cgee...dichotomy has away of saying it all....saves us a lot of typing :)

I think Col.cty commish is looking for trouble ...

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/11 - 06:59 am
I hate to keep saying

I hate to keep saying this...(wellmaybe)....100 years ago...hahah--in the past everyone paid something.....we had food banks to help the needy...many churches have food collections for just that reason....especially at Christmas....there was help but not 100% help for EVERYTHING..that is the problem now...some think they are entitled..
we sho do need a strong President to turn this thinking around....
but who?? Who has the guts to do this??

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/11 - 07:01 am
Will someone come on this am

Will someone come on this am & tell us about the meeting last night---lively??

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/07/11 - 07:56 am
dichotomy... ditto

dichotomy... ditto

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/07/11 - 07:59 am
SeenIt, read my posts from

SeenIt, read my posts from last night. I was at the Commission meeting and wrote lots about it. I made it just inside the door. It was so crowded many were left outside and couldn't get in. We let Scott Hudson squeeze by with his recorder. Austin couldn't get in though. No one let him get by. Ha.

Techfan
Techfan 12/07/11 - 08:04 am
As: "The Vogtle Electric

As: "The Vogtle Electric Generating Plant, located near Waynesboro in eastern Georgia near the South Carolina border, is jointly owned by Georgia Power (45.7%), Oglethorpe Power Corporation (30%), Municipal Electric Authority of Georgia (22.7%) and Dalton Utilities (1.6%)." Not the federal government.

allhans
allhans 12/07/11 - 04:30 pm
For Rant # 4..YOu have it

For Rant # 4..YOu have it right.

Listen to this. A very moving song.

Techfan
Techfan 12/07/11 - 08:14 am
The USPS would have a $1.5

The USPS would have a $1.5 trillion surplus is not for The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006, which required it to fund 75 years worth of future health care benefits in a 10 year time period.

allhans
allhans 12/07/11 - 08:38 am
"Site preparation at Vogtle

"Site preparation at Vogtle has been under way more than two years, but nuclear construction cannot proceed until a combined operating license is issued by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission."

As the poster said..They were waiting for regulations to be approved.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/11 - 08:45 am
I read them river...veeery

I read them river...veeery interesting......I think the commish will have a busy year after this meeting.....scratching around trying to cover their steps....:)

Change of subject---the other night I watched country awards & thought--durn..I don't 1/2 of these singers...& I wanted to hear the music I grew up with & loved....likeElvis-Conway-Hank-Orbison--Jones--Haggard-Willie....their songs & esp.the music was outstanding --steel guitars--piano--but it wasn't there......
I know some will say I'm just an ole fogie...can't adjust....sigh....maybe so....but the music behind the words of the ole songs was outstanding & I don't hear anything that matches it today....

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/11 - 08:49 am

For example...listen to the music in this P Cline song!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/07/11 - 08:51 am
Yeah, you have to love Patsy

Yeah, you have to love Patsy Cline. I've never heard another voice like hers. Know what gets me with some country music today? Rap is starting to creep in. That's weird.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/11 - 09:02 am
They can say what they want

They can say what they want about music but I think it does influence our youth...also tv-videos etc.......I can't post on here my thoughts on rap music....very vulgar-rude words esp. degrading females....even the black leaders condemn the words of some songs..
Young brains are receptive to this & we see the results everyday.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/07/11 - 09:04 am
I'm absolutely with you,

I'm absolutely with you, SeenIt. I like the guys with the smooth, deep baritone voices. The top of the heap was Gentleman Jim Reeves. Some others were Ed Bruce, Roy Drusky, George Morgan, Cal Smith, Phil Harris, Don Gibson, and Hank Thompson.

I don't care too much for the tenors – Webb Pierce, Hank Locklin, etc.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/07/11 - 09:06 am
If Columbia County gets a

If Columbia County gets a legal opinion that stops construction then they better be ready to write a check for all the money spent so far and for all the expected profits the developer wouild have made. While I hate the fact that Section 8 is being forced into decent neighborhoods I also respect the stance of the developer if the company did all they are supposed to and was approved legally.

Section 8 is good for the people receiving it but always bad for the surrounding areas with the types of people it brings. I just finished remodeling a house in Woodlake and the lady was complaining because he part of the rent was $63.00 and Augusta Housing paid the rest. House was nasty nasty nasty and I just finished looking at one off of Meadowbrook and it was the same thing. Both houses had trash all around the outside. I feel for the people in Petersburg Sation.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/11 - 09:40 am

LL....This is one of the new guys I really like... Josh is great...:))

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/07/11 - 10:39 am
I'd give Blago 20 years

I'd give Blago 20 years because of his hair. Seriously.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/11 - 10:51 am
Gotta run.....try to behave

Gotta run.....try to behave on here...keep your gun in the holster..)

eagle
eagle 12/07/11 - 03:12 pm
Blago will be eligible for

Blago will be eligible for parole in 11 years. Wonder who he'll get to do his hair while in the round bar hotel!!

If stores want to open on Thanksgiving day, it's their choice. If people want to shop on that day, it's their choice. I, personally, won't go...don't like crowds.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/11 - 05:12 pm

One of the oldies Roy Acuff..I bet Cgee remembers seeing him on the Opry.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 12/07/11 - 09:20 pm
I just received this from one

I just received this from one of my (many strange) friends:

They sent my tax return back! AGAIN! In response to the question: Number of dependents? I replied, "12 million illegal immigrants; 3 million crack heads; 42 million unemployable lazy bums; the entire cast of the Jerry Springer Show; 2 million people in over 243 prisons; 300,000 leftovers from Katrina; half of Mexico; and hundreds more in the U.S. House and Senate."

(Apparently, this isn't an acceptable answer.)

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/08/11 - 08:26 am
LOL...That is a good one

LOL...That is a good one stewart..:)

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs