Rants & Raves

I HEARD COMMISSIONER Joe Bowles call a private citizen “an idiot” on a local radio talk show the other day. I’m disappointed in you, sir, that you, as an elected official, could be so tacky as to call a constituent an idiot when you disagree with them.

YOUR EDITORIAL WAS a great tribute to Larry Munson. He was indeed a legend in college broadcasting. However, he was not objective in his calling of UGA sports. The quote at the end of the editorial said it all: “We just stepped on their face with a hobnailed boot and broke their nose. We just crushed their face.” There is nothing objective about those statements. A truly objective announcer does not use the pronoun “we.”

THE EDITORIAL Nov. 23 was the best editorial that has been written by The Augusta Chronicle in the 20 years that I have lived in Augusta. Excellent editorial. We need to all live by it.

I THINK WBBQ is wonderful for playing Christ­mas music early. We need all the cheering up we can get in this economy.

GOV. DEAL’S column about government feeding children reeks of socialism and Karl Marx. Deal uses standard socialist scare tactics to con Georgians into thinking taxpayers must feed children. “At risk” sounds very bad until you remember that if kids are put at risk, they’re put there by lousy parents. Deal says, “It is our responsibility to make government work better for children,” while he ignores the fact that it is not government’s responsibility to feed citizens. He praises “public-private” groups, which always means “public” (government) controls. He writes of “leveraging … funding” Leveraging means borrowing, i.e., spending money you don’t have.

AMAZING THAT THE free turkeys are now limited to one per family. I guess if it comes out of your own pocket then greed is not good, but greed from the government is OK?

RunningMan
RunningMan 12/04/11 - 08:49 pm
You talk about being a

You talk about being a grinch...Why would anyone have a problem assisting with feeding kids that cannot provide from themselves. Its pretty sad when folks are unwilling to give a little to help others.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 12/04/11 - 09:51 pm
Re #7: I share the opinion.

Re #7: I share the opinion. "Its (sic) pretty sad when folks are unwilling to give a little to help others." It's not about giving; the money is TAKEN in the form of taxes; money that would go to feeding my children, children for whom I am responsible. What an evil, despicable Grinch I am, wanting to provide for my own children, and being responsible and having only those I can take care of without the aid and support taxpayers and charities!

KSL
KSL 12/04/11 - 10:07 pm
Running man, you seem to

Running man, you seem to neglect the fact that there are many families and numerous sperm donors who gladly let the government (the taxpayers) step in and provide for their offspring because it's there.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 12/05/11 - 04:41 am
Running Man, you have no

Running Man, you have no right to call anyone a grinch simply because they belive the government does a terrible job of spending and managing our tx money irresponsibily. The government not only enables those who can not afford children to have them, it actually rewards them by giving them everything from food to clothing to housing to bussing to education to tax credits to government issued cell phones to health care to free car seats to free bike helmets, etc. and then it allows for parents who are not married to each claim the various children to maximize their benefits and tax credits (checks as much as $4,500.00 per year without ever even paying taxes) while it takes from responsible hard working citizens in the form of more taxes. Bottom line is the government CAN NOT give anything that it doesn't take from someone else because it has nothing to give.

In my opinion, this is the responsibility of the parents, family, extended family and if necessary charity. These services will HELP but generally speaking will not ENABLE or even worse, REWARD such negative behavior as our government does, no matter which party is in charge.

I do understand where you are coming from and do not want any children to to hungry and therefore agree that we as citizens do have a responsibility through our government to help children in need. That being said, our current system does not work and must be changed because we are simply allowing this to become generational to the point that we now have more non-taxpayers than taxpayers and this is not a good situation for any country.

I don't have all of the answers but I do know that those who can not afford children, live in government housing, etc. have no business continuing to have children and therefore should not receive additional benefits and tax dollars for evey new child they have that they can not afford.

This country must get back to personal responsibility and acountibility if we are going to continue to thrive.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/05/11 - 08:39 am

I caught Willow & River at Wallymart----he had on the big furry cap & she had on the bright neon orange suit......sooo cute!

lms2755
lms2755 12/05/11 - 08:45 am
In regard to the early

In regard to the early Christmas music, it can also remind some of how sad Christmas might be because of the economy, or be with family members due to death, long distance, etc. November 11th was a bit early. Didn't even have a chance to eat Thanksgiving turkey and let it digest. And yes we have the opportunity to change the station if we don't want to listen.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/05/11 - 08:47 am
SeenIt, I'd fit right in with

SeenIt, I'd fit right in with the Walmart crowd. I wouldn't even need the furry cap.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/05/11 - 08:50 am
I was thinking about Mayor

I was thinking about Mayor Copenhaver-Boardman hiring a public relations girl for a hundred thousand a year to make things look good. I bet I can negate all her work with comments here for free.

myopinion3
myopinion3 12/05/11 - 08:58 am
WBBQ...GREAT MUSIC. It has

WBBQ...GREAT MUSIC. It has taken me away from Sirius for the month. Their selections are familiar, traditional and make a person feel good.

Jane18
Jane18 12/05/11 - 09:18 am
Rants 3 & 6-----I agree!

Rants 3 & 6-----I agree!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/05/11 - 09:45 am
"WITNESSING THE Re­publicans

"WITNESSING THE Re­publicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic."

It seems like no matter who we elect for President next year it will be like switching seats on the Titanic.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 12/05/11 - 10:21 am
it doesn't suprise me at all

it doesn't suprise me at all about commissioner bowles, with his self-righteous attitude, i guess you can have an attitude like that when you live in summerville with no potholes on your street...right joe???

fftaz71
fftaz71 12/05/11 - 10:47 am
I cant believe people are

I cant believe people are complaining about only being able to get ONE turkey per family or having to show ID when its being given to them FREE. How about just being glad you even got one?? I hope I never feel so entitled that I complain about something I get for free....but then again outside of a few concert tickets I wouldnt know what it feels like to get something for free because Ive never gotten anything for free. Ive worked for everything Ive ever had...

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/05/11 - 10:57 am
Good Morning, Seenit &

Good Morning, Seenit & River,SFB, speaking of Dixie...

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/05/11 - 10:55 am
Nooooo, that wasn't us! River

Nooooo, that wasn't us! River was dressed up like Santa; and I was giving him my list:) lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/05/11 - 10:57 am
Thankyou WB.....Dixie is

Thankyou WB.....Dixie is beautiful especially at Christmas....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/05/11 - 11:00 am
I'm learning to roller skate

I'm learning to roller skate so I can patrol at CTree....RM thinks one on one will work wonders....he might be right---they would laugh a lot...
goota run for a spell---beback later..

Taylor B
Taylor B 12/05/11 - 11:09 am
Seenit, my wife used to skate

Seenit, my wife used to skate for the Sirens. Maybe she can give you lessons!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/05/11 - 11:09 am
Excuse me for butting in, but

Excuse me for butting in, but wasn't Larry Munson "The Voice of the Bulldogs" not "The Voice of the Bulldogs and the opposing team"?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/05/11 - 11:13 am
Seenit, I think I should add

Seenit, I think I should add Willow to my list, what do you think?

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/05/11 - 11:14 am
Ha, right Roadkill. Larry

Ha, right Roadkill. Larry never considered himself "objective".

Vito45
Vito45 12/05/11 - 11:19 am
fftaz, we do several

fftaz, we do several tailgates /year at THE JBA before hockey games. There is the occasional urban outdoorsman drifting through and if they are polite and respectful we will offer them food. (heck, we've even fed the train engineers who are constantly coming by) . We usually grill all of the meats, but one day a person brought a bucket of chicken. As it turns out that day, 3 or 4 guys showed up at one time and asked for food. we obliged and one of them got some chicken, loaded up on dish foods, then started looking for biscuits. He actually CHASTISED us for not having biscuits, and he wasn't smiling. Then a couple of them started digging in coolers looking for beer. Needless to say they ate their food walking, and we haven't been quite so accommodating since. Every read the story about the bird feeder? Look it up, this is a perfect example.

Vito45
Vito45 12/05/11 - 11:26 am
Right folks, there was never

Right folks, there was never any pretense by Munson, the fans, or anyone with the Bulldogs organization that he was anything but a dyed in the wool Georgia Bulldog homer. I wonder why anyone who knows anything about him would think otherwise?

Taylor B
Taylor B 12/05/11 - 11:35 am
Thats what she said!

Thats what she said!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/05/11 - 11:41 am
RKill....Add Willow.....she

RKill....Add Willow.....she is beautiful & smart....a true southern lady..

Taylor...your wifie would probably whup my hiney on skates..:)

byebye again.....ya'll are my addiction .....what drug would work to make me get my work done in 1 hour so I can go back to posting???

4 hours of work!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/05/11 - 01:52 pm

Buy local.....no joke sherlock.....we have said that on here for years...

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/05/11 - 01:58 pm
Willow, that was nice. As

Willow, that was nice. As someone who has spent Christmases in many places over the world, I can assure you it's best in Dixie.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/05/11 - 02:08 pm
harley_52
harley_52 12/05/11 - 04:06 pm
Chillen
Chillen 12/05/11 - 03:30 pm
Occupy movement builds a barn

Occupy movement builds a barn in Washington DC. Arrests made.

These people are loco crazy.

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.