Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

TO THE VERY very fine family who gave an old man a needed lift from the Bobby Jones Krystal around noon on Monday, I can’t thank you enough. I’m sure someone will do something nice for you soon.

VEGETERRORISTS who tell kids that eating a turkey at Thanksgiving is the same as eating their pet dog are sick.

THE OBAMA regime and other Democrat leaders are not standing up to the anarchy of the Occupy Wall Street circus because OWS is expounding exactly what the Democratic Party stands for: government control of everything.

I LOVE THE NEW size of the paper; I sure wish you would bring back the horoscopes, though.

RAVES FOR Chris and Jacob at the Publix on Washington Road for finding my iPad and tracking me down through relatives from the phone number left on the list inside the cover and then returning it to me with such good cheer. Who says today’s youths aren’t outstanding citizens?

A BOBBY JONES restaurant was nice enough to give free meals to veterans in celebration of Veterans Day. But I read that one of the waitresses complained the vets could have left a bigger tip. What’s more important to this waitress, a $5 tip or the freedom these men and women gave to us all?

WHEN YOU VISIT the home-bound and people in nursing homes, you might do more than brighten their day; you might help prolong their lives. The new Reader’s Digest health book says that loneliness is a source of stress that can adversely affect health.

A BIG RAVE to the James Brown Founda­tion for helping the needy at Thanksgiving and Christmas with their giveaway programs. But a big rant to some of the dignitaries there who don’t seem to mind that people have to show an ID to get these handout gifts, but they don’t want people to show ID to vote. Why the disparity?

JOE BOWLES SHOULD be ashamed of himself for calling an Augusta citizen, by name, “an idiot,” while on Austin Rhodes’ show. How totally tacky and uncalled for for an elected official.

Me
Me 12/03/11 - 03:59 am
Does anyone know that that

Does anyone know that that boom and shaking was today off of 56 near Goshen and IP about 1:31 pm? The windows rattled and the floor shook. We honestly thought one of the surrounding plants had an explosion, the shaking was so bad and the noise so loud! Only lasted a moment. It was enough that several of us got into our vehicles and went in search of what it was. We even stopped a police officer that was patroling about 3 miles away (south) from where we were at when it happened, and she said she hadn't heard nor seen anything!

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 12/03/11 - 08:09 am
me......That explosion was

me......That explosion was the goodoleboys finding out that their tax$$$ will pay for freebies for non-working goofoffs......

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/03/11 - 09:02 am
Prime example how stories get

Prime example how stories get miscontruded. Ranter #6, it wasn't that the waitress was upset because the tip wasn't big enough.....she was upset because there was no tip at all.

allhans
allhans 12/03/11 - 09:34 am
Me..You are asking a serious

Me..You are asking a serious question and I hope you get an answer.

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 12/03/11 - 09:52 am
In the AJC... The Saudis are

In the AJC...

The Saudis are coming to Atlanta.....
The Saudis are coming next week with promises of 1 $trillion in trade & investment opportunities over the next decade,,...A highpowered delegation of Saudi Arabian business & gov.officials willlay out the educational, petrochemical,medical & logistical opportunities available to US businesses.

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 12/03/11 - 10:01 am
AlsoAJC news... Taxpayers are

AlsoAJC news...

Taxpayers are on thehook for $64 million bankloan on the ethanolplant in southeast Ga.....the plant is in foreclosure..

Metro eateries are using more Georgia grown food.....it seems diners have become more food savy & seek locally sourced food...

Dows gains mark best in 2 years....

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 12/03/11 - 10:49 am
Agree with the Joe Bowles

Agree with the Joe Bowles rant. He's supposed to be a leader and a gentleman and in this case he was neither.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/03/11 - 11:22 am
Boom? What boom?

Boom? What boom?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/03/11 - 11:27 am
Glad to know that local food

Glad to know that local food items are being prepared here! I wish those
"alligator" folks would publish a cook-book! Love Cajun cookin!

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 12/03/11 - 12:00 pm
Ranter #6 - The vets got

Ranter #6 - The vets got money for their service. What's different about paying the waitress for her service?

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 12/03/11 - 03:28 pm
Ole Cain suspends his

Ole Cain suspends his campaign....no surprise there..

drivenslow
drivenslow 12/03/11 - 05:00 pm
as soon as you show me one

as soon as you show me one war besides ww2 were our freedoms or liberties were at stake i will take you serious...our soldiers die for the profit of large corporations...im so sick of that comment that soldiers fought to protect our freedoms its a lie.....iraq afghanistan never have a chance of affecting our freedoms .....MORE PEOPLE DIE OF PEANUT ALLERGIES IN THE UNITED STATES THAN PEOPLE DIE FROM TERRORIST ATTACKS WORLDWIDE.....please wake up and end the propaganda

BevBoudreaux
BevBoudreaux 12/03/11 - 08:01 pm
I agree with the waitress..

I agree with the waitress.. they depend on tips.. their wages are below min wage because it is assumed that tips will make up the difference. These people were already getting a free meal.. the least they could have done is tip appropriately for the service the received from the waitresses. So if most of these ppl didn't bother to tip for their free meals then the servers at this restaurant probably lost money that day.. they were basically working for free. This might affect these restaurants deciding to have these "freebies" in the future.

tanbaby
tanbaby 12/03/11 - 09:10 pm
to bevboudreaux, you don't

to bevboudreaux, you don't think that veterans have EARNED a free meal every now and then???? you don't think a waitress can give up her tips from a few veterans ONE day a year??? guess they haven't given up enough for her yet, huh???????????????

USMC
USMC 12/03/11 - 09:27 pm
gaspringwater and

gaspringwater and BevBoudreaux See the world through a Veterans eyes ---- you'll change your mind . You have no idea.

tanbaby
tanbaby 12/03/11 - 09:27 pm
and another for bevboudreaux,

and another for bevboudreaux, i love the way you refer to OUR veterans as " these people" like they are from a different planet ..... and how do you know that the "service they received" from the waitress was worth a tip???? Have you never been to a restaurant where the waitress didn't earn a tip?????

Vito45
Vito45 12/03/11 - 10:32 pm
Free is free. On balance, our

Free is free. On balance, our veterans are not a group with their hands out wanting something for nothing. It is easy to understand how someone might not think about a gratuity for a free meal. If the restaurant would just footnote the offer, flyer, ad, or whatever they do with "please recognize your server", 99% would leave a tip. You criticizers need to lighten up; veterans by and large are honorable people.

Jilly Bean
Jilly Bean 12/03/11 - 10:58 pm
Why can't Joe call someone an

Why can't Joe call someone an idiot? People call him names all the time and I think its unjust. Joe show stand up for himself! I am an artist and people call me names all the time.

BevBoudreaux
BevBoudreaux 12/03/11 - 11:50 pm
The meal was FREE.. I applaud

The meal was FREE.. I applaud the restaurant for doing this for these veterans.. and yes they deserve it.. but at the same time, these servers deserve to be paid for their work.. you know many of them have families to feed or school bills to pay for.. Is it too much to ask to simply tip a couple dollars for table service when you are getting a meal on the house? And yes, the restaurant should have made it more clear.. that just because the meal was free doesn't mean that the servers did not deserve an appropriate gratuity for their work. Either that or the restaurant should have paid them more than the usual wage that day in lieu of tips. Or in the future the restaurant can ask people to volunteer that day with no expectation of being paid for their work.. but when you are scheduled to work on a particular day, there should be some expectation that you will be paid.

Vito45
Vito45 12/03/11 - 11:55 pm
Bev, I don't disagree with

Bev, I don't disagree with your point about the servers deserving their pay. Let's just agree that the restaurant could have done a better job of ensuring they were fairly compensated. I'm confident that it didn't occur to most of the diners that a tip was appropriate under the circumstances. I'm sure they face the same oversight with people using gift cards and other discounts.

BevBoudreaux
BevBoudreaux 12/03/11 - 11:56 pm
If you've ever been to

If you've ever been to Vegas.. you know it's common practice to give people playing slots free drinks.. but there's still the expectation that you tip your cocktail server. Same with the famous midnight $2.99 steak dinner specials (if those still exist).. I mean you still wouldn't leave 50cents as a tip for your server.. it's just called having some basic manners. I'm very cognizant of the sacrifices of vets.. Have many in my family... and I know that most of them certainly would agree that just because you have the status of being a vet is not a license to leave your manners and common sense at the door.

BevBoudreaux
BevBoudreaux 12/04/11 - 12:01 am
Vito45.. I am 100% with you

Vito45.. I am 100% with you there.. I mostly fault the restaurant management for not doing a better job of communicating to diners to remember their servers.. but I mean still it is basic common sense.. that just because the meal was comped does not mean the service was comped.. I mean it's not like we are talking about a soup kitchen

Jilly Bean