Government

More News | | | Editor

Official believes Magnolia Trace a positive for county

Columbia County Commission Chairman Ron Cross said he is surprised by the backlash of negative comments he and other commissioners have received regarding a new Martinez development.

Magnolia Trace, on Old Ferry Road, will feature 50 single-family homes built on 15 acres. The houses are designed for low- to middle-income families, with many residents likely to receive rent vouchers from the Georgia Department of Community Affairs.

“We thought it would be an asset to the neighborhood, which is one of the older neighborhoods in Columbia County,” Cross said.

The belief that the Magnolia Trace development will spark an increase in crime is without merit, Cross said.

Columbia County Sheriff Clay Whittle seemed less certain.

“We’re very curious about it, and we’re guardedly optimistic, I guess you could say,” Whittle said Friday.

Whittle said he feels more secure about the development after learning that potential renters must first pass criminal background, credit and employment history checks.

Cross mentioned that the maximum annual household income for potential renters is $40,000.

Residents surrounding Magnolia Trace intend to protest the development to the commission when it meets Tuesday. That won’t do them any good, though. Even if the commission could be persuaded to halt the development, Cross said, it is powerless to do so.

“We can’t stop the project since credits already have been issued and the developer has incurred expenses,” he said. “According to DCA, it possibly would have been approved anyway, without our letter of recommendation.”

RunningMan
RunningMan 12/02/11 - 10:51 pm
Great story that should help

Great story that should help many deserving families get affordable housing.

Will
Will 12/02/11 - 11:45 pm
What does Magnolia Trace and

What does Magnolia Trace and Cherry Tree Crossing have in common? They're named after trees! Duh....

countyman
19155
countyman 12/03/11 - 01:42 am
It seems they want to keep a

It seems they want to keep a certain group of people contained to a specific area.. Shenandoahridge is located on Blue Ridge Drive, Wedgewood Park on Old Evans rd, and now this property off Baston road. The Circle K on Old Evans already had problems with crime before this..

Martinez(Club Car-Pleasant Home rd) by far has the ugliest part of Washington road in the metro area.. Both the West Augusta(Pleasant Home-Augusta National) and Evans(Kroger-Greenbrier area) portion of the road look much better.. I used the Greenbrier area and Augusta National because their familiar places.. This won't be helping bring any new upscale development to Washington road..

I wondering what's going to happen to the area over the next 5-10 years.. The Washington rd portion of Evans is still fairly new, and construction keeps coming(Marshall Square, Five Gusy/Yotopia strip center, etc).. The portion of West Augusta is older similar to Martinez, but much more developed.. The big diffrence is West Augusta has managed to attract new development and renovate empty buildings.. Electrolux, expanded Kroger Shopping center, Alexander rd widening, Sheraton, Crazy Turks, Friedmans gold, 150 townhome development near the I-20/Washington rd exit, etc..

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 12/03/11 - 03:20 am
That easy..I can tell you

That easy..I can tell you what's gonna happen...people will leave in droves...just look at Richmond County. Families that don't want section 8 ne'er do wells will leave for safer neighborhoods. It's a shame that the good section 8 people get lumped in with the bad.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/03/11 - 05:36 am
Here is the KEY

Here is the KEY phrase;

"Cross mentioned that the MAXIMUM annual household income for potential renters is $40,000..."

Why would there be a wage restriction like that? It is discriminatory to folks who do well and earn good money, how is that GOOD for CC? I mean is the idea to make SURE it is a place only lower middle class folks can live? Is the reason to make SURE that the 'developer' gets our tax dollars (vouchers) put directly into their bank account each month?

Oh wait, it also has to do with claiming those tax vouchers on certain property and income taxes each year to also make it where you leverage these into a a 'free' development (LL, please repost that link and example of how certain folks use poverty to become rich on the tax payers backs please.)

Hmmmmm, where does Ron Cross live? Does he live near this site?

To hear him talk, it's like this is already a 'hood'and they are doing a favor moving in Section 8/voucher housing or something.

CC, welcome to our world here in RC where the Commissioners do not really care about the overall damage done as long as certain members of a certain CABAL of developers makes money off of we tax payers.

West Lakers, you all paying attention? You need to be, I mean you all live in one of the 'older' hoods in CC right?

I guess the developers felt they were missing the gravy train on this 'voucher' stuff in CC and needed to get some of that monies!

HAHAHAHAHAHA,

Brad

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/11 - 06:34 am
Like I said B4...Harlem &

Like I said B4...Harlem & Appling get ready for a building boom....Away we go.....

wildman
wildman 12/03/11 - 06:49 am
Well said Brad, I bet Ron

Well said Brad, I bet Ron "Double" Cross wouldn't put this development next to his BIG palacial home. Double speaks from both sides of his mouth, I have said many times that this commission led by Double will not be happy until they have put something on every inch of dirt in Columbia County. What happened to Growth Development Plan that the citizens spent thounsands on? Just saying!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/03/11 - 07:11 am
Take a look at this; Seems

Take a look at this; Seems this apartment complex has the same 'wage restrictions' on it as they are proposing here.

Now tell me how this can be good? No one helps me with my house payments, I am SICK of struggling, working 16 hour days, paying taxes and being away from my family to EARN what we have just to have people live like this on OUR dime.

There is a storm brewing in America, and it will not be pretty when the money runs out for folks who cannot provide for themselves.

I reall am wondering how in the world this is good for us. How this can be a positive for anyone except the 50 people who will be getting our money to live beyondd their means and skillset will take them.

I have no problem with medical attention or help for folks who need it in the healthcare area, life is sacred to me, I mean even that is limited in my opinion, but helping somoene live in a better house because they want to but can't afford it? I am just at a loss for words here.

I am really not sure I can take much more of this, I mean what about helping those who NEED it? What happened to America?

I hope the voters are paying attention.

Brad

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/11 - 07:48 am
brad said.. There is a storm

brad said..

Yep....it sho is a-brewing----it will boil over----I think the explosion in SAugusta near Goshen was some good-ole-boy who has had enough!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/11 - 07:53 am
Brad...I have said this B4 on

Brad...I have said this B4 on here....
Why should a GOB hard working taxpayer living in a trailer home pay for ANYONE to live in a nicer neighborhood-kids go to better schools-help others only pay 1/2 in rent BECAUSE his tax $$$ will subsidize them!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/11 - 07:59 am
Brad also sez........ I am

Brad also sez........

Right On....Have you ever watched the youtubes of folks waiting for free giveaways.....they DIVE & most are healthy & young...amazing to watch grown healthy men & women who can't find a job but they can stand in line for hours for the free stuff.....you would think they could qualify for the olympics..

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/03/11 - 08:08 am
seenitB4, Simple answer, they

seenitB4,

Simple answer, they shouldn't.

We will cause our own collapse in America.

As the "Iron Lady" of UK, PM Maggie Thatcher once said, "The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money."

What I worry about (after seeing the way people acted after Kartina in NOLA) is when the money runs out and folks decide to just take what they want. That is when we will see the great 'correction' in our society.

Look at the London riots from a few months ago to see what the future holds for us if we contimnue down the Euro-socialist path.

I can't tell you what I would do if my wife, kids or family were ever harmed in a situation like that. I can tell you that it would not be pretty.

This is why I push so hard on stopping idiotic none needs spending in Augusta, we have so many needs that are ignored while stuff like this gets done on our backs.

Someday this will reach critical mass.

Brad

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/03/11 - 08:16 am
RunningMan, What do you mean

RunningMan,

What do you mean by "deserving families?"

How does one 'deserve' to have their housing paid for by others? Are these set aside for disabled Veterans maybe? Uhhh, no. Are they set aside for Law Enforcement officers or fire brigade? Uhh, no again.

I mean how do you think, in YOUR mind, someone 'deserves' a housing allowance at tax payers expense? Better yet, tell me how you earn that?

Please tell me who you consider "deserving" of house payments to be made on my back besides my own family which I am obligated to provide for?

Brad

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/11 - 08:22 am
CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 12/03/11 - 10:24 am
Mr. Cross believes it's a

Mr. Cross believes it's a positive? I'm guessing it's because he's positive it isn't located anywhere near where he lives.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/03/11 - 10:34 am
CPL G, No doubt. It is

CPL G,

No doubt. It is positive if you are the developer getting the tax money.

raul
raul 12/03/11 - 10:47 am
Good posts, Brad.

Good posts, Brad.

slats
slats 12/03/11 - 10:53 am
Mr. Cross stated that there

Mr. Cross stated that there is no proof that subsidized housing will have higher crime rates. I would like to see him produce a list verifying that "fact". Runningman for the most part nobody deserves anything beyond that which their efforts allow.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/03/11 - 11:03 am
I understand that the state

I understand that the state didn't even make the notifications in the neighborhood that they normally make when this kind of development is considered. I don't know if they have to but they always have before...just sayin'.

The commissioner's office when FIRST contacted about this situation tried to say it was for medium income families and lied to their constituants. They knew all along that it was low income housing.

I think ALL these commissioners need to be voted OUT in their next elections. They owe us the truth. We may not like the truth sometimes but we need and DESERVE to hear the truth from our ELECTED officials, NOT LIES because they don't want to hear the backlash.

They really do seem to forget who THEY WORK FOR.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/03/11 - 11:06 am
I am beginning to think that

I am beginning to think that our CC Commissioners who claim to be "Republicans" are RINO's (Republican in Name Only).

blues550
blues550 12/03/11 - 11:07 am
Overlays of this type of

Overlays of this type of housing and crime prove, beyond the shadow of any doubt, there is a correlation.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/11 - 11:13 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/11 - 11:18 am
I especially noticed this

I especially noticed this statement....more comfortable than working Americans..hey why not throw dollar bills too!

Section 8 seeks to end the stigma of being on welfare by treating welfare recipients like upper middle-class, self-reliant citizens. Not surprisingly, with such generous subsidies, many Section 8 recipients enjoy far more comfortable housing than do working Americans

WMartin
WMartin 12/03/11 - 11:33 am
Brad, you seem to have a good

Brad, you seem to have a good handle on all of the issues surrounding this development. Thank you, you now have my attention! What can CC citizens do? First of all, throw Ron Cross and all of the others out at the next election. Second, can we form a group of concerned citizens, collect contributions and file law suit after law suit after law suit on any possible ground we can come up with? If we drag them through our notoriously slow court system, maybe the developers will either get tired and quit or figure it's just going to end up costing them too much money in court? My goodness, what if all 50 families have two kids each? Guess my property taxes will go up to build new schools or add on to existing schools. Guess I'll have to get a second job or work harder on my first to pay for someone else's kids.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/03/11 - 11:56 am
I wonder if I could refinance

I wonder if I could refinance my paid for home and pull out all the equity.I could quit my job and get a low paying job and then get a voucher to help pay back the money. The loan would be at a low interest rate and I could keep the balance. I guess I would also have to transfer all assets to my wife and get a divorce. I could then have her move back in with me. You reckon I would be deserving then, runningman?

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/03/11 - 11:40 am
WMartin, you will always have

WMartin, you will always have to pay school tax until the exemption age even if you do not have children. I have and never had a child. The taxpayers of another era paid mine, the people in the large homes paid more than the people in the modest nice home I grew up in. Don"t mind that at all but I just wouild not like to live among the Section 8 welfare crowd because of their mentality about what is right.

DoggieMom
DoggieMom 12/03/11 - 11:47 am
If they really want to help

If they really want to help low income families, team up with Habitat & sell those homes to individuals willing to put in "sweat equity", and work towards home ownership. It's well proven that the pride of ownership helps keep a neighborhood from blight. Oh yeah, that would take ownership away from the developers, but it's still the right thing to do for any neighborhood!

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/03/11 - 11:55 am
This company was stopped in

This company was stopped in Richmond County with the same kind of project. But hey, the Columbia County's RINO's are behind them. Makes you wonder what Cross and his bunch got for it.

tomcasey
tomcasey 12/03/11 - 12:08 pm
In the end it is nice to know

In the end it is nice to know the fine citizens of Columbia County have met their enemy and found it to be their own county commission. Sounds like a familiar story for these parts, we have Richmond County with the Parking Gate scandal where there was/is no accountability or transparency at all for the mess and the Laney Walker Bethlehem Overlay Zone screw up where the final documents weren't even given to the affected residents prior to the vote and we have Columbia County with the Magnolia Trace blunder in conduct by the county commission.

Is Aiken County immune? Why don't we hear about similiar problems from across the river?

Many Arrows
Many Arrows 12/03/11 - 12:15 pm
Ron Cross downsized from West

Ron Cross downsized from West Lake about 4 years ago. The land in this case was already zoned, but not for this intensity of housing. This is the latest Colco NIMBY eruption. There will be more.