Smoke from shed fire visible in downtown Augusta

  • Follow Metro

A small shed behind a vacant house in the 2200 block of Gardner Street caught fire Thursday morning sending smoke into the air visible from downtown Augusta.

Firefighters extinguish a shed that caught fire in the 2200 block of Gardner Street. The 10-by-12-foot shed was nearly destroyed when firefighters arrived about 11:40 a.m. Thursday.  CHRIS THELEN/STAFF
CHRIS THELEN/STAFF
Firefighters extinguish a shed that caught fire in the 2200 block of Gardner Street. The 10-by-12-foot shed was nearly destroyed when firefighters arrived about 11:40 a.m. Thursday.

The 10-by-12-foot shed was nearly destroyed when firefighters arrived about 11:40 a.m. The fire probably burned for a while before a passerby noticed smoke and flames, said Battalion Chief James Freeman, of the Augusta-Richmond County Fire Department.

The fire burned surrounding trees and shrubs but the white wooden house received no damage. The house and shed are across the street from Cumming Grove Baptist Church and near the Augusta Country Club.


Search Augusta jobs