Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I HAVE ALREADY warned my kids not to expect the cool stuff this year for Christmas. I refuse to shop these greedy retailers who abuse their workforce with Thanksgiving openings. It’s pointless.

RAVE TO Eryn Eubanks and commend her for her deep faith, many talents and dedication to help others. How refreshing to see such an uplifting young woman on the cover of the Applause section who is a natural beauty. GOD BLESS!

NONE OF THE Repub­lican candidates are the 100 percent deal. Each candidate has pros and cons and past situations to deal with just like we do. I know I certainly do. Let’s hope the candidate who will be the Republican nominee will be a person who will do what’s best for our country and its people.

GO GREEN: Recycle Congress and the White House!

KUDOS TO RICK MCKEE, the most God-given talented cartoonist ever, on the cartoon (Nov. 12) about Family Circus and the passing of long-time cartoonist Bil Keane, another Christian cartoonist who gave us a great lesson in life with his every drawing of Family Circus.

I WOULD LIKE TO PRAISE the couple who witnessed and reported the idiot that dented my car and drove off. We caught them and I’m pressing charges! Please go back to the store and leave your number. I would like to give you a reward!

HOW ODD. Wall Street protesters in Portland, who (supposedly) don’t have two dimes to rub together, yet have the wherewithal to dig up protective riot gear to wear. Who do you suppose supplied that?

RANT TO THE GOLF cart owners who do not obey the law. The bike path on Evans to Locks Road is a bike path. There is a sign on the path saying “NO MOTOR VEHICLES.” This seems to be an accident waiting to happen! When will the Sheriff’s Department enforce this law?

RAVES TO The Chronicle for story about Ms. Eubanks. This family is wonderful. They also do much in the neighborhood that is unknown to other people.

RANT TO WBBQ who started playing Christmas music on Nov. 11. Really?

A BIG RANT TO the people who do not know how to use a school drop-off lane. Davidson has one of the worst student drop-off lanes I have ever seen.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 11/23/11 - 03:47 am
As for greedy

As for greedy retailers...Actually, MANY employees request to work and enjoy time and a half doing so. As for the retailers being greedy, the many stockholders all over America apprecaite their efforts.

These "occupiers" are a complete joke. They have no job but have money for cell phones produced by corporate America and traded on Wall Street, tents that come from corporate stores, again, traded on Wall Street, etc.

They fail to follow the laws set forth for legal protests and then protest about others breaking our laws and complain when the police are forced to do their jobs.

Go occupy a job...there are plenty available for those with strong work ethics, morals, and ability.

tanbaby
tanbaby 11/23/11 - 05:02 am
for the ranter to WBBQ--they

for the ranter to WBBQ--they have been doing this for years..simple solution, don't like the music, CHANGE THE CHANNEL !!!!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/23/11 - 05:42 am
About the golf carts on the

About the golf carts on the Evans to Lock trail, I'd also like to point out bikers should be careful when passing small children. I've seen too many racing along on that trail and the canal trail speeding past walkers, families with small kids on bikes and so on. THAT is also an accident waiting to happen.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/11 - 08:09 am
I don't mind Christmas music

I don't mind Christmas music a little early---I like golf carts all decorated too...even on Evans Lock rd.(some oldsters need them :))
Shoot or shucks I'm going to get along with all today---even River & vito---heheh..
good am to all...

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/11 - 08:13 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/11 - 08:22 am
Well I watched part of the

Well I watched part of the debate last night & thought----DANG ...can't we get more choices ...I'm still looking for that miracle man to come along & wow the masses....I'm just not happy with the bunch....surely there is somebody else out there.....maybe a local guy...someone with the smarts-guts-looks-personality-money-sense of humor----now is that asking too much!!!

happychimer
happychimer 11/23/11 - 12:55 pm
Sorry to break someone's

Sorry to break someone's bubble, but one of the OWS was a judge. Another a poet lauriette (yes I mispelled), police officers, retired military, many college students. People from all walks of life. So don't group them together as one class of people. They are from all walks of life.

Vito45
Vito45 11/23/11 - 01:31 pm
And until someone shows me

And until someone shows me video evidence to the contrary, I will call the the poet laureate a liar. He seems to be just a left wing radical trying to stir the pot.

happychimer
happychimer 11/23/11 - 02:40 pm
What about the pregnant woman

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/23/11 - 02:51 pm
Prior to small portable video

happychimer
happychimer 11/23/11 - 03:01 pm
There are loads of videos,

There are loads of videos, and the number of protestors gets bigger. 84 yr old pepper sprayed. judge pushed against a wall and threatened, because she tried to help an older person who was attacked by police. Teachers beaten and arrested. PASSIVE protestors beaten and pepper sprayed. Maybe the protestors should carry their guns, right? That's what tea partiers did, and cops left them alone.

KSL
KSL 11/23/11 - 03:11 pm
The Tea Partiers pretty much

The Tea Partiers pretty much behaved themselves and minded the police. The videos I've seen of the current protestors indicate they are belligerent and won't follow instructions. They try to impede traffic, they litter, etc. Their gatherings are more like a riots than a rallies.

happychimer
happychimer 11/23/11 - 03:19 pm
How can they riot when they

How can they riot when they sit on the ground being passive? I am appalled at the treatment given to these people. Am I surprised? Not anymore. These people have the right to assemble. I have not seen riots. Most of the protestors are peaceful, and there are times when someone destroys property, others will fix it. They stress peace, not violence. Now back to the kitchen

harley_52
harley_52 11/23/11 - 04:24 pm
bjphysics said "Prior to

bjphysics said "Prior to small portable video devices no injustice or crime happened because it was not filmed."

Since the introduction of small, portable, video devices any image captured thereby can be described to be anything the imagination of the describer might conjure.

allhans
allhans 11/23/11 - 04:55 pm
Don't believe everything you

Don't believe everything you hear and very little of what you see about the OWS. Just a snip of a tape doesn't tell the story and neither does the protesters

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/23/11 - 06:09 pm
"During the first two months

"During the first two months of the nationwide Occupy protests, the movement that is demanding more out of the wealthiest Americans cost local taxpayers at least $13 million in police overtime and other municipal services, according to a survey by The Associated Press." Guess who gets to pay this? Not Wall Street. Getting close to the time to take the next step with these hooligans.

Pu239
Pu239 11/23/11 - 06:25 pm
Regarding the UC Davis

Regarding the UC Davis incident...It would have been much better had the officers exercised a few well placed baton strikes (saracsm font)

Vito45
Vito45 11/23/11 - 10:35 pm
happychimer Wednesday, Nov.

happychimer
Wednesday, Nov. 23 1:40 PM
"What about the pregnant woman in Seattle who was punched in the stomach and pepper sprayed and had a miscarriage? There is plenty of videoes. You find it. I did."

While sources in general should be given the benefit of the doubt—even if they are homeless women—and there is no evidence that Fox isn’t being entirety forthright, her story looks increasingly dubious.

It’s worth pointing out that in the Seattlepi.com article last week, the reporter noted that Fox was two months pregnant, when she told me that she was three months pregnant at the time. http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/11/22/pregnant-occupy-seattle-protester-has-miscarriage-after-being-pepper-sprayed-by-police/

HC: Let me say up front that I am agreeing with you about the potential abuse of police power in these OWS confrontations. However, in is in the self interest of the protesters and their sponsors to paint them in as bright a negative light as possible, which is why I'm not taking theirs on anyone else's word as gospel. You know what you read, and you know what you see in a clip; but what we don't know and are not shown or told is what led up to the police using force to disperse the crowd.
There was no way for them to know this young woman was 2 months pregnant (if she indeed was); for that matter, of the thousands of young women out there protesting, I wager there are many in early stages of pregnancy, whether they even know it or not.

Just trying to keep everything in perspective....

KSL
KSL 11/23/11 - 11:49 pm
What is a pregnant woman

What is a pregnant woman doing going to a place where actions of others could cause her to be caught up in it? Was she really protecting her baby? Obviously from this report, she knew she was pregnant. We don't even know if she wanted the baby.

I was in college with someone who became pregnant before birth control was readily available. And before abortion was legal. We came to realize that she was doing everything she could to naturally abort the baby. Those were horrible times for women.

Jump ahead to the morality and attitudes of today. How easy is it to try to get money our of society because of some harm's way you placed yourself in.

Perhaps I'm making improper assumptions. But I say anyone deciding otherwise than my assumptions based on this information is equally making improper assumptions.