Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I WAS VERY disappointed that you left out the annual JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes from your Sunday article. This walk is organized by local families with much involvement of the children with Type 1 diabetes. Thanks to all our family teams, walkers, volunteers and sponsors for helping us get closer to a cure for our children!

CONGRATULATIONS TO the senators who had the fortitude to ignore what was politically expedient and block the stimulus bill. While this proposal as written may have created a few temporary jobs, it would only put this nation further in debt and unfairly raise taxes.

A RANT AT BOTH THE local and out-of-town gold buyers. It seems that everyone wants to buy gold these days, and they are all claiming to offer the highest prices. My question is: If they are telling the public now is a good time to sell, why do they all want to buy?

RAVES TO THE Chronicle’s regional manager Tommy Cooper. My paper is sometimes late or doesn’t make it to my house. Mr. Cooper, even on his day off and after delivery hours, has always made sure I get my paper. Thank you, Mr. Cooper, for making my day brighter and going the extra mile for a senior.

IT AMAZES ME THE amount of money Georgia drivers waste when they buy a new car that has headlights because they do not use them at dawn or dusk.

I HAVE TO ADMIRE the cleverness of the newspaper to constantly avoid praising the Bulldogs for their accomplishments. If the same amount of effort were poured toward solving the problems of the world, we would have peace on Earth.

I WOULD LIKE TO rant about the drivers who insist on running yellow and red traffic lights. It is not worth risking life, limb and liberty to run a light to get into Walmart. Nobody wants to get injured, or injure anyone else, regardless of who is at fault.

A RANT TO THE free Veterans Day dinner offered to veterans on Bobby Jones Expressway. You get your dinner for free; the least you could do is leave a tip for your waitress. We don’t work for free; we have bills to pay. How about leaving a tip next time?

IF YOUR DAUGHTER is coming home from school with a headache, you should have her eyes examined. It could be eye strain.

Comments (69)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/11 - 02:38 pm

You know RM you are

You know RM you are amazing....work at a full-time job(?) & a prolific poster (well-known at that)...do you flip burgers at the grill while soaking in your hot tub....or can you wash a car at the same time you are cutting the grass.......is there any wonder you have such a following of admirers..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/11 - 02:40 pm

WB...I'm thinking RM shold

WB...I'm thinking RM shold have his own radio program....you know...like someone else does...:)

Vito45
Vito45 11/17/11 - 04:55 pm

Raul, it depends on the meal.

Raul, it depends on the meal. I tip higher on less expensive meals because the server had to work just as hard to deliver me that $10 plate as they did the $50 plate.. I will tip 25%-30% on a $7breakfast for example, but 15% on a $120 tab. I don't nickel and dime on tax-pretax, I just figure if I do 15% on after tax they are really getting 17% or so on pretax.
If the service is poor, I will do 10%; and if it is buffet I might do 10%. If it is awful, I just don't go back.
One last thing; on a smaller tab, the difference between a decent tip and a good tip might be a dollar, two at the most. When I see people, particularly young people busting their tails to make a living while going to college, etc.; an extra dollar or two means a heck of a lot more to them than it does me. If a dollar is going to pain me, I can not afford to be eating out.

With regard to those not leaving a tip on a free meal.. Free is free, and I'm sure it just never occurred to them a gratuity was expected. I know it could escape me too, and I am a good tipper on average.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/17/11 - 04:58 pm

You guys are making me want

You guys are making me want to go out to eat!
I could go for some hot wings dripping with sauce!
I'm sure we won't be going out tonight though. We're having meatloaf mac and cheese broccoli and roasted apples.
My daughter Emily cooks on Thursday night and her meat loaf is supurb and she's only 13.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/17/11 - 05:28 pm

It amazes me the hatred

It amazes me the hatred internet posters generate with the traditional media employees. I just have to shake my head. They totally don't get this new internet age. You have some good and some bad as with everything. Generalizing about such a matter shows a lack of awareness of the subject. But they will get it one day.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/17/11 - 05:29 pm

Shrimp, that's a seriously

Shrimp, that's a seriously nice dinner your daughter is fixing. 13 years old...impressive.

Willow Bailey
20240
Willow Bailey 11/17/11 - 06:07 pm

What time's dinner, Shrimp?

What time's dinner, Shrimp?

Vito45
Vito45 11/17/11 - 06:52 pm

I just blackened some fresh

I just blackened some fresh tilapia, and the missus roasted some seasoned asparagus along with some roasted new potatoes.

Sho' am good! I washed it down with a cold brewskie and am now ensconced in my lazy-boy. Too bad I have to be somewhere at 7, else a second brewskie would be in order.

Lizbeth
Lizbeth 11/17/11 - 07:14 pm

If you're talking about the

If you're talking about the Veterans Meal at Golden Corral, then I also have a rant.. Next year when yall are all lined up try to use the side walk or grassy area instead of hanging out on the backstreet. People use that road to get to the businesses, its not just one huge sidewalk.

Willow Bailey
20240
Willow Bailey 11/17/11 - 08:37 pm

Oh, Vito, it's 7:30 and I

Oh, Vito, it's 7:30 and I missed it. Sounded delicious.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/18/11 - 08:24 am

shrimp...That is a nice

shrimp...That is a nice dinner.....makes me want to cook that..:)

augustagolfgirl 11/18/11 - 09:28 am

Thanks, SeenitB4 for pointing

Thanks, SeenitB4 for pointing out to Riverman my offer/request and thanks for the nice comments. Awwww, you made my day. : )

Gosh, you folks sure do know your food. What time is dinner?

And the waitress that is ranting about the veteran(s) that didn't tip, well, I think they paid enough already. Let me know their bill and I'll cover the tip(s).

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 11/19/11 - 05:25 pm

You reward bad service and it

You reward bad service and it wont get any better. The only tip you should leave is with the shift supervisor or the owner if available.

And the original tipping rant was petty and aimed squarely at Vets on Veteran's Day. The Ranter likely didn't get tipped because of the attitude evidenced. It was a special day for special people, whom this waitress obviously didn't think were that special.