Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I WAS VERY disappointed that you left out the annual JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes from your Sunday article. This walk is organized by local families with much involvement of the children with Type 1 diabetes. Thanks to all our family teams, walkers, volunteers and sponsors for helping us get closer to a cure for our children!

CONGRATULATIONS TO the senators who had the fortitude to ignore what was politically expedient and block the stimulus bill. While this proposal as written may have created a few temporary jobs, it would only put this nation further in debt and unfairly raise taxes.

RAVES TO THE Chronicle’s regional manager Tommy Cooper. My paper is sometimes late or doesn’t make it to my house. Mr. Cooper, even on his day off and after delivery hours, has always made sure I get my paper. Thank you, Mr. Cooper, for making my day brighter and going the extra mile for a senior.

IT AMAZES ME THE amount of money Georgia drivers waste when they buy a new car that has headlights because they do not use them at dawn or dusk.

I HAVE TO ADMIRE the cleverness of the newspaper to constantly avoid praising the Bulldogs for their accomplishments. If the same amount of effort were poured toward solving the problems of the world, we would have peace on Earth.

I WOULD LIKE TO rant about the drivers who insist on running yellow and red traffic lights. It is not worth risking life, limb and liberty to run a light to get into Walmart. Nobody wants to get injured, or injure anyone else, regardless of who is at fault.

A RANT TO THE free Veterans Day dinner offered to veterans on Bobby Jones Expressway. You get your dinner for free; the least you could do is leave a tip for your waitress. We don’t work for free; we have bills to pay. How about leaving a tip next time?

IF YOUR DAUGHTER is coming home from school with a headache, you should have her eyes examined. It could be eye strain.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/17/11 - 10:52 am
Little Lamb...maybe you

Little Lamb...maybe you didn't see this in my post "That being said, I am not beyond leaving a less tip for a server who I know is being slack because they just don't care."

Even if I get horrible service, I will leave a small amount. In your case, I don't blame you but wouldn't it have made a more profound statement if you had only left a dollar (she still needs to clean the table) than no tip at all. How will the server know she provided horrible service and that you didn't just forgot to leave a tip.

Would not it have been better to ask the manager for some extra napkins than create a mess with the silverware. More than likely someone who was not responsible for your service had to clean up the mess you made.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/17/11 - 10:57 am
Unexpected, undeserved

Unexpected, undeserved kindness fills the soul of both the receiver and the giver. You never know what another person is going through.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 11/17/11 - 10:58 am
Ahhh...wings with dripping

Ahhh...wings with dripping sauce....finger lickin good! Who needs a napkin? Think I'll check the "nameless" place out. Precious and I need to test the waters in some new places to dine.

Tips.....tips come after we decide whether the service was good, better, or best. Good ranges up to 20%, better to 25%, and best can be ridiculous at 30%. We judge everything, not just the service, but lousy service can poo poo a hefty tip. Good food, good service, great tip!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/17/11 - 11:01 am
You are a sweetheart

You are a sweetheart Sargebaby. I'll just bet the waitress can't stay away from you.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/17/11 - 11:03 am
Well, ICL, the manager was

Well, ICL, the manager was not in the dining area. He was in the back somewhere. He came out only because he heard the clanging silverware as I was obtaining my napkins.

I'm telling you the truth about never seeing the waitress again. I went back to the table with my napkins, finished the wings, and walked from my table to the bar to pay the bill.

That was a long smoke break for the waitress.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/11 - 11:05 am
Good am WB....right now GOB

Good am WB....right now GOB is fit as a fiddle...he just wants to act like a 35 year old again....hahah...ain't gonna happen I tell him.....most tests are done to approve medicine he needs to take....sofar sogood.

A sad article in the AJC really bothers me.....mom charged in the death of her 13 month old boy....why not just let someone adopt the child....so many want a baby & can't have one & this just makes me shudder..

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/17/11 - 11:18 am
Well, our little Emily Post

Well, our little Emily Post thread today. I usually will tip at least 15% even if the service is bad. That's really how they make their money. It's not worth the possible social discomfort to not tip.

I even once tipped the worst service I ever had. It was in a defunct restaurant over in the Target Center and because the server was getting off, she said, she wanted us to hurry up. Ha. Tipped her anyway because she looked kind of stupid.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/17/11 - 11:11 am
I was in Charleston for a

I was in Charleston for a conference a couple of years ago and had to wait for almost two hours at a restaurant out near the beach near the Isle of Palms called The Boathouse. They did have a great Tiki Bar up above it overlooking the intracostal waterway, though. You didn't care much about the food by the time you got in.

But the darkly funny thing is I read about two months after my visit that the manager had been shot and killed one night in an argument with a customer. I immediately knew why.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/17/11 - 11:12 am
In general, dining service in

In general, dining service in Augusta ranges from adequate to good. But let me share my experience with another place with poor service. It also shall remain nameless, but it's on Washington Road between Lowes and the dry cleaners.

I gave the place three strikes over a five-month period. The results were the same every time. I am convinced that the meals were good when they came out of the oven; but they were cold when they got to me. The wait staff were more interested in each other than in the diners.

I'm not going back again.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/17/11 - 11:12 am
LL, I do get what you are

LL, I do get what you are saying, because you and I are both performance driven women. From your post, I know that you put forth excellence in everything that touches your hands. But I have found that being honest with people in a respectful way helps both of us to grow.

The old me would have not left a tip either. The new me, would have asked the manager to get my waitress.Then I would have said something that achieved both investing in her and getting my napkins. A win for both of us. Personally, I find more joy and fun in life, living that way. Just a thought to ponder from one assertive female to another.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/11 - 11:17 am
If the drinks are good I can

GOB is a talker..they seldom ignore us....they might want to at times BUT he won't let that happen.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/17/11 - 11:19 am
River, Mrs. DeHay, did a good

River, Mrs. DeHay, did a good work in you.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/17/11 - 11:26 am
Hey Willow and Seenit, Well,

Hey Willow and Seenit, Well, this concept about being courteous and interested in restaurant employees is not a technique with me. I generally am interested in and like all people at first meeting no matter their finanical status.

Heck, I grew up poor and the family whose dad worked at the paper mill was bigtime to me. I never got over my poverty mindset even though I am sooooo lucky today. People transcend things. It also helps if SHE is good looking, leans all over me and passes me a note with her phone number.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/17/11 - 11:28 am
Which reminds me of

Which reminds me of something. It's no longer a phone numer, it's now come see me on Facebook.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/11 - 11:29 am
heheh river,.....things are

heheh river,.....things are looking up for you today cause,,Augusta golf girl wants to follow you around for a day.....hope your "ole" heart can handle that....:) new admirers are coming out of thewoodwork.......that isn't your alias IS IT??:)

Gotta cook collards-sweet potatoes & cornbread & maybe chops----you know what they say.... a man has gotta eat...:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/17/11 - 11:32 am
SeenItB4 said, "If the drinks

SeenItB4 said, "If the drinks are good I can wait for service.....& if they are really good I can ignore a lot...:)"

Sot. Heh.

Augusta Golf Girl wants to follow me around one day? After reading this thread she won't want to. Where did she say that?

Dudeness
Dudeness 11/17/11 - 11:35 am
How long does it take to

How long does it take to approve a post that does not include a link or harsh language? By the time my post is approved, it may no longer even be relevant to the discussion.

Edit: Nevermind, it finally posted.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/11 - 11:38 am
Not telling you where....she

Not telling you where....she is too cute-young & perky..

Sunshine Pie

A pound of patience, you must find
Mixed well with loving words, so kind
Drop in 2 pounds of helpful deeds
And thoughts of other people's needs.

A pack of smiles, to make the crust,
Then stir and bake it well you must.
And now, I ask that you may try,
The recipe of Sunshine Pie.

Leaving you with some sunshine pie.....don't eat it all at one time!!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/17/11 - 11:41 am
Well River, you are living

Well River, you are living proof that you can teach an old dog new tricks!
Maybe I should explain...not talking about you seenit, it's the visiting him on facebook thingie. But back to the subject, not sure why you would call investing in someone a technique. Seriously,if all we do is either ignore them or bs with them, how does that help them grow? (or us to grow)

And Seenit, no wonder GOB is so partial to you; you know the way to meet ALL that good ole boys needs. Collards, sweet potatoes, chops and cornbread; he's in hog heaven. What time is lunch?

daphne3520
daphne3520 11/17/11 - 11:53 am
Next to Last Rant: TELL your

Next to Last Rant: TELL your Bosses to pay you commensurate with your abilities and duties! Maybe you don't know it, but, MOST veterans live on a very, very SMALL income!

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/17/11 - 11:57 am
Willow, just semantics, but

Willow, just semantics, but it sounded like some were nice to servers so they would get good service and were not genuine. I guess being nice should be accepted for whatever reason though.

About Facebook, I'm seriously not on it under my real name (or Riverman) because I wouldn't want to deal with all those who would slam me. Lots of people seriously hate me...imagine that.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/17/11 - 12:10 pm
River, any one who would hate

River, any one who would hate you is the one with the problem. I'll have to stop there, don't want to get Seenit all riled up for the day:)

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/17/11 - 12:40 pm
You know my wife and I don't

You know my wife and I don't drink alcohol and when the waitress/waiter asks for our drink orders and we say Coke or Sprite or Coffee they get this look on their face like well these folks aren't going to tip.
I'm sure they are shocked when I leave a $20 tip on a $50 bill. I don't do this all the time. Only when I'm in a fancy restaurant although I should do it at casual restaurants too. Maybe I'll start.

allhans
allhans 11/17/11 - 12:54 pm
A lady in our luncheon group

A lady in our luncheon group uses a calculator (we get separate checks.) The check is usually less that $15.00 per person...Can you believe that anyone could be that tight?
Would it be impolite to offer to pay it for her?

Jane18
Jane18 11/17/11 - 01:16 pm
It wouldn't be impolite

It wouldn't be impolite allhans, but it might be stupid......she could think or expect you to do it from now on. If you have the same waiter/waitress, just leave a little extra.

happychimer
happychimer 11/17/11 - 01:53 pm
We hardly ever eat out at

We hardly ever eat out at more than $10 or $12 a person. I figure out the tip, because we don't live beyond our means, and we don't eat out often. We splurge once or twice a year, and have a bill for close to $40 for the 2 of us. We prefer eating at home together.

iLove
iLove 11/17/11 - 02:00 pm
"A RANT AT BOTH THE local and

"A RANT AT BOTH THE local and out-of-town gold buyers. It seems that everyone wants to buy gold these days, and they are all claiming to offer the highest prices. My question is: If they are telling the public now is a good time to sell, why do they all want to buy?"

The dollor will be nomore soon. Gold will be the new dollar. Look into why Gadafi was killed, and there is a connection between what he wanted to do (trade with gold instead of $) and what the US government wanted him to do. Nothing is as it seems.

happychimer
happychimer 11/17/11 - 02:03 pm
Figuring up a tip for a meal

Figuring up a tip for a meal not more than $15 is not being cheap or tight.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/17/11 - 02:19 pm
You know how I was talking

You know how I was talking yesterday how eerie it is to have the newscasters on that one station in Savannah acting like they are in Augusta? I keep watching to see if they make a mistake somehow and say something really dumb that would give the whole scam away. Apparently they have a couple of reporters who come up every week and get some local content for the newscasts.

I say if you are ever interviewed by them you say outlandish things and they won't know you are hoodwinking them. Tell them you like nice quiet neighborhoods to walk in like those in South Augusta. Tell them you ride your bike down Bobby Jones. Sit on the Riverwalk at night.

I'm telling you this remote newscast has me intrigued. They wouldn't know Mayor Copenhaver-Boardman from Calvin Lockett.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/17/11 - 02:37 pm
It's a sample/sign of the

It's a sample/sign of the lies to come through the use of the media, River.
When I get time, I have something I will email to you. Will probably be a few days.